Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Dec 2010 at 7:31 PM Last edited by PuffyAmi : 26th Dec 2010 at 8:40 PM.
Default Child's skeleton and bonetool + Bad boneassigments
When ever I import child cloth into MS, it of course loads the default skeleton, but it's in the size of an adult. Can the skeleton size be reduced for kid? Because when I turn animation to test how the kid's body mesh moves it looks odd since the skeleton is not the right size of the kid.

Can someone tell how to use the unimesh bonetool?
When ever I just try to use it (example) after selecting couple of vertices, put 70percent weight on b_headNew and then 30 percent for LeftEar, hit apply to all and commit to all, close it, Nothing happens, or the whole mesh freaks out.

Only when I select vertices, go joint tab, select any bone, and asign to those vertices only then I get some result.

But I really want to learn that plugin since I have it.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 4:29 AM
You need to load the child skeleton with the GEOM.
All you need to do is extract a child skeleton from the fullbuild0 package
save it in the same folder and change the format to skcon(i believe)
It will autoload when importing the simgeom.
Wes H made a small glasses tutorial that explains but i cant find it.....

For the unimesh bone plugin...wat windows version are you using?
There are some probs with either Vista or windows 7
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 11:23 AM
What is the Child skeleton's file's name and ending format, so I can seach it in S3Pe/postal extract it?

Yea I have windows 7, so no using Unimesh bonetool with this operating system?
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 2:36 PM
if i remember correct Cocomama also had problems with the plugin on Windows 7

Ill try to lookup the tutorial.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 5:56 PM
Use the same filename as the outfit you're cloning from, it'll be listed as a BONE resource in FullBuild0.

The bone tool does work in Win7 (I use it with no problems) most of the time. Perhaps it's something specific to this mesh? Or to the version of Milkshape you're using?

The tutorial was on Custom Sims 3, I don't believe it's available any more.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 8:07 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 26th Dec 2010 at 8:26 PM.
To get the correct skeleton in Milkshape(i use Postal)

-Open the fullbuild package with Postal
-choose show Nmapnames from the workspace menu
-click the LongName tab at the top(puts all files names in alphabetical order, it will take a while)
-lookup the mesh(all are listed as CTU displays them, cfTopNude for instance)
-select the GEOM by clicking on it in the Longname tab
-double click the UNK file in the BodyPartGeometry
-In the popup window you export the file at the Hex tab
-Save the file as .skcon file instead of the .unk format(save it in the same folder as your GEOM!)
NOTE, do not change the filename, only its format!!!!
-The moment you import your GEOM in MS it will automaticly load its skeleton

The plugin looks for the last TGI reference from the GEOM comments wich is the link to the skeleton.
You can only load the correct skeleton if it matches the TGI reference
This means you need to extract and use the matching skeleton for every diffrent GEOM you work on.

If your planning to make alot child meshes(and want to use Ms's animation) then import a standard GEOM and its skeleton and save it as Ms3d file.
Use it as a template for future projects
I included the cfTopNude skeleton as template(ms3d) that you can use.
The skeleton is only used by MS and will not be saved within the GEOM on export.

Whiterider is lucky the plugins work with his version of Windows 7, i do know it does not for others.
I do remember i had some problems at first with the correct display of the popup window, can you hit the commit button after you have edited the bonesettings?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  cfTopNudeskeleton.rar (2.4 KB, 25 downloads) - View custom content
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 8:39 PM
Thanks guys, this was really helpful!

Btw, is it normal that this one kid's mesh LOD2 has very bad rig in the fingers (actucally there are no boneassigments in the fingers at all so the fingers don't move) I tested other Ea's LOD2 meshes and those had boneassigments in the fingers. Is this EA's mistake or something else wrong with this Mesh I imported in MS?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 11:31 PM
Which one is it?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 12:38 PM
I don't remember which mesh this was originally, but from EP I believe (saved these meshes in MS month ago and now I don't have EP's installed to check it out)

Anyway, I read this other post that mentioned attaching some parts of other mesh - so could I just take hands from other mesh's lod2 that has good boneassigments in the hands, then just delete the bad parts of my mesh and attach these new hands with good boneassigments to this mesh? But how to do it?
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 7:53 PM
Are you using CTU or TSRW?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 9:28 AM
I'm using CTU, is this even possible if I use CTU?
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 11:49 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 30th Dec 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Replacing parts of a mesh with other parts is pretty complicated(with both CTU and TSRW)
Every clothing mesh has duplicates, the morphs.(a fit/thin/fat and pregnant morph)
The morph meshes aren't used by the game but their data is(it is stored in the Bgeo files(slider files)

So if you want to replace a specific part, you do that on the basemesh.
When done you use that basemesh, duplicate it 4 times and make new morphs out of each duplicate(alot of work)
With those morphs you build new Bgeo files(with BodyMorphMaker when using CTU) and replace the ones in your package.

In your case i would reassigne the fingers on that lod2 mesh, just assigne the whole hand to the hand bone.
The lod2 is only used on low end computers so you prolly never going to see it ingame.
Since its a child, the fingers are so small that those who do have a low end comp will hardly see any diffrences.

I am not sure if its correct wat your saying tho...if a finger(or any other part) doesn't have boneassignements those vertices will snap to the floor,
The result are kinda spikes from the surrounding assigned finger vertices to the unassigned finger verts on the floor, not meshparts without movement.