Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#651 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 2:57 AM
I was just wondering why they would make the new world have an autumn theme? I mean, yeah, they can do anything they want.. But wouldn't it be out of place? Sims walking around in shorts and tank tops etc.. What if they were to give us pets and weather in the same EP? When you think about it, it would sort of fit.. animals and nature...

Anyway, I'm just musing, really. :P
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#652 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigiBlue
I was just wondering why they would make the new world have an autumn theme? I mean, yeah, they can do anything they want.. But wouldn't it be out of place? Sims walking around in shorts and tank tops etc.. What if they were to give us pets and weather in the same EP? When you think about it, it would sort of fit.. animals and nature...

Anyway, I'm just musing, really. :P

Or, like in Sims 2, Seasons is next, and they just want to make sure we know it. =P Instead of hiding a subtle hint, they're just saying "BOOYAH! It's Autumn! We only have one season left, and it's coming with the expansion, so hang on to yer britches." And I guess they got tired of spring/summer green towns, so they're giving us a splash of variety. Really, Sunset Valley was Summery, Twinbrook was sort of Spring-like, and since LN came with a city that could be either, it's only fair we get more red and orange trees for a change.
Forum Resident
#653 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:18 AM
Anything to give me some plant-life variety makes me happy. But I am hoping this is one of the hidden 'hints' to the next EP. I can't wait until we start getting more information. Since Town Life Stuff is going to be out in less than a week, I'm hoping for more screenshots at the least pretty soon.
Lab Assistant
#654 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 5:56 AM
Maybe instead of a season ep, they'll release one season each in 4 other expansions to force us to buy them all.
Field Researcher
#655 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 6:27 AM
Dooon't even joke about that!
Lab Assistant
#656 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aurica
I really love to see more strays. I think it would make the world more realistic and interesting. Perhaps they can tie it to the type of world we are playing. City maps like bridgeport for example should not be showing wildlife for that matter. Or maybe they could be added to the game world as spawners.

I also wonder if the pets will be forced to leave a household if they were abused / suffer a terrible relationship with their owners. Causing them to become strays.

I agree about some of the wildlife looking really out of place in most of the city maps - deer for example - but racoons would be great. They'd fit right in. Only place I've ever seen a non-pet Racoon was on a roof in Boston.

I really like the idea of spawners for wildlife, but I almost feel that it would take away something about seeing them.
Personally I think there should be certain circumstances and requirements met within a town or lot for certain animals to show up. If the environment is low, you get pesty racoons. If you have lots of gardening plants and a big garden, deer etc. It could stop animals looking out of place, but would still give a variation to what you'd see. Because on the bridgeport hill area you may see things like Deer on occasion, but not really in the city main.

I'd rather there be an equivilent to the social worker for pets, and you can call up and adopt one and maybe get one which was taken away from someone else? But runaway pets if the owner scolds them or they don't like them would make sense, maybe be more like with teenagers though, they bog off but you can call the police or an animal catcher, if they're wearing a collar you're more likely to get them back, and you get fined for letting them lose.
Although I've known people who have taken wonderful care of their cats, but the cat has simply moved on to a different home, and I know people who have taken in 'stray' cats which are clearly not strays, fed them and given them a bed outside, then the cat moves in of it's own accord and the old owners are out a cat. But cats are funny like that I guess.

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Mad Poster
#657 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 10:36 AM Last edited by HarVee : 24th Jul 2011 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Quote: Originally posted by DigiBlue
I was just wondering why they would make the new world have an autumn theme?

Possibly to hint that a Seasonal themed pack is either in development or in the planning process. The colorful trees may in fact be an obvious "Easter Egg" which the majority of people over-look.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Top Secret Researcher
#658 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Possibly to hint that a Seasonal themed pack is either in development or in the panning process. The colorful trees may in fact be an obvious "Easter Egg" which the majority of people over-look.

I think you are right about that. Or well, I hope you are
Lab Assistant
#659 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 3:14 PM
Not sure if it was already confirmed or not, but I got a reply from simgurugraham via twitter that there will only be two sizes of dogs, again... so it seems like chihuahuas the size of spaniels and whippets the size of great danes are back! You'd think they would have introduced a third or fourth size. I understand that a slider would be asking to much, but simply a small, medium or large size option shouldn't be that hard. Damn.

edit - having re-read the tweet I can see almost a glimmer of hope that there may be slight variation, as he says they build out their breeds from those two distinct sizes... but most likely he means they just randomly chose which medium dogs are big and which are small and expect us to put up with it. (Already hoping that some enterprising modder will put together a slider for height, leg length, body length etc. like they have for actual sims. Even if it will make some of the animations not fit, I'd rather have the variation)

tweet link: http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/SimGuruGraham/~S1Bae

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Instructor
#660 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 5:32 PM
I live in a small city, and if you leave the main city, you will definitely find some deer. Actually, a car hit a deer downtown once, so...

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Retired
retired moderator
#661 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 6:10 PM
I'd like people to remember that while deer and raccoon are AWESOME and I want to see them in some places... ...there are no raccoons in France, Egypt, China, New Zealand, Australia, and whole massive heap of other countries that players may or may not make with CAW. Spawners appeal to me because they allow an iota of control over the local fauna of a town.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
#662 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Metaisho
I kind of imagine we'll be able to run into them all over the place. Like, your sim can be fishing at the park, and a stray dog or cat will wander by doing.... stray dog or cat things. I suppose if anyone befriends it, they can take it home. Or maybe if someone's chilling outside the bistro, an animal will wander up. I believe EA even mentioned something about wild horses - will they just be random from spawners, like bugs and gems/stones?

Really, I can see that one being problematic if, say, you have a city-based 'hood. The occasional dog or cat is fine, but there shouldn't be wild horses (or deer, if they're actually included in any of the versions) walking up and down the highway. Now I'm curious AND frightened. But I'm going to trust that the devs sorted all of that a long time ago, and weird stuff like that has already been eliminated.

What would be great is if when you make a town you had a choice to make it country or city, or even an inbetween suburban selection. EA could add that to the existing neighborhoods. Sunset-suburban, Bridgeport-city, Riverview and new city-country.

[SIZE=3]
"I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?"

~Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986
[/SIZE]
Top Secret Researcher
#663 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
I'd like people to remember that while deer and raccoon are AWESOME and I want to see them in some places... ...there are no raccoons in France, Egypt, China, New Zealand, Australia, and whole massive heap of other countries that players may or may not make with CAW. Spawners appeal to me because they allow an iota of control over the local fauna of a town.

I'm reasonably certain that those countries don't have real vampires either.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Retired
retired moderator
#664 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 9:19 PM
Yes, but some countries DO have real raccoons, and fauna is emblematic of certain countries.

Scholar
#665 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 11:21 PM
Did we discusses yet the new profession that will probably come with Pets? Since every EP is giving us a new "profession" instead of the old "carreers" it would be cool to have a vet profession.
Field Researcher
#666 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 11:39 PM
Oh, that would be really cool. Somebody mentioned a vet career some pages back, but I hadn't really considered it as a profession, just a normal career. If there is a new profession, I hope they give us a new lot for it as well, like the fire station and stylist building. I didn't like having to have the daycare in my house.
Field Researcher
#667 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 11:44 PM
i'm guessing that the strays aspect will work similarly to how it does in real life (or at least how 'realistically' from my experience) and you'll see them roaming about the neighborhood as well as by your house. i wonder if they'll go as far to have them appear more often at restaurants? or if there will be a sim trait of animal-loving, and animals will tend to appear by their house more often? i liked the idea i saw someone post about having stray spawners, that way the sim city hall doesn't get overthrown by stray dogs.
Instructor
#668 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:07 AM Last edited by Sims MX : 26th Jul 2011 at 3:40 PM.
Awesome discovery!

I downloaded the latest patch and installed it to check what was new. I opened DeltaBuild0.package and went to the STBL to see if something was changed. Last time I did this, I discovered the Vehicle Enthusiast trait. This time I found tons of new information about pets!

I can't believe EA left this information for us !

Here's a summary of my findings:
  • New items: mechanical bull, vending machines (candy, drinks, and healthy food) and ice cream trucks.
  • Wild animals: horses (can be tamed), strays (can be adopted), raccoons and deers.
  • New creature: unicorn. Can start a fire, teleport, cure Sims, bless and curse Sims and plants, and can be released.
  • Competitions: racing and cross country (beginner, advanced, and international).
  • New NPCs lifetime wishes: jockeys, zoologists, animal rescuers, fairy tale finders, ark builders.
  • New traits: equestrian, cat person, dog person, animal expert, and animal lover.
  • Pet traits: likes swimming (dog only), lazy, aggressive, agile (horse only), brave, destructive, fast (horse only), hyper, loyal (dog only), gentle (horse only), hydrophobic (dog only), nervous (horse only), noisy, piggy, playful, proud, skittish, adventurous, cluless, friendly, genius, hunter, independent, neat, non-destructive, mean, quiet, shy, hates jumping (horse only), ornery (horse only), raised by wolves (may be dogs only), and reinforcement.
  • Tricks: sit, sit up, shake, speak, roll over, play dead. Trick skill.
  • New skill: riding.
  • Pet skills: racing and jumping.
  • New lots: cat jungle, horse ranch, and dog park.
  • Other pets: ants, birds (blue gold macaw, catalina, macow, cockatoo, congo African gray, crow, falcon, spotted sixam, yellow naped Amazon), lizards (anole lizard, ancient dragon, gecko, chameleon, pygmy komodo dragon, agama lizard, texas spiny lizard), rodents (chinchillas, hedgehogs, squirrels, rats, shrews, womrats), snakes (yellow python, garter snake, emerald tree boa snake, malayan krait snake, yellow chondro python, scarlet king snake, San Francisco garter snake, iridescent shieldtail snake, and mini python), and turtles (barbours map, spotted, eastern box, Indian roofed, red eared slider, pygmy, spiny, and western painted).
  • New careers: horse(wo)man
  • Lifetime rewards: pet clone voucher, young again (for pets), steel bladder (for pets), swank pet bed, pet hygienator, vomit immunity, alpha, atomic grazer, best behavior, fearless foal, equine zen, desert pony, friend of the herd, gardener's delight, and lucky mount.
  • Pets can gain or lose traits.
  • Horses will nurse from their mother or be bottlefed.
  • Foals get negative moodlets for being separated from their mothers.
  • Horses eat carrots.
  • Pets can exorcise ghosts?
  • Dogs can swim.
  • Cats can hunt and fish birds, snakes, turtles, lizards, beetles, fish, and rodents. Dogs can hunt too.
  • One foal per pregnancy (horses), litters per pregnacy (cats/dogs).
  • Horses can kick Sims.
  • Horses have excercise and thirst motives. Dogs have destruction motive.
  • Pets don't have jobs.
  • Pets don't receive opportunities.
  • Pets cannot be placed on vacation lots.
  • Pets do not have lifetime wishes.
  • Cat breeds: Black Cat, Grey Striped, Persian, Siamese, Singapura, Russian Blue, Tuxedo.
  • Dog breeds: Border Collie, Collie, Pug, Dalmatian, Doberman, Poodle, Setter, Dachshund, Bull Dog, Highland Terrier, Pitbull, Shiba Inu, Australian Shepherd, Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Newfoundland, Samoyed, Giant Schnauzer, Siberian Husky, Spaniel Springer, Terrier Airedale, Terrier Kerry Blue.
  • Horse breeds: American Painted, Friesan, Icelandic, Morgan, Palomino.

There's more information!

Please note that the STBL is not complete yet and the game is still in development so more breeds, traits, careers, etc. may be added or not.

Edit: removed files because of MTS rules, sorry. You can get your own by opening your DeltaBuild0.package.
Retired
retired moderator
#669 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:14 AM
This is fantastic stuff!! But you might want to remove the file. MTS prohibits sharing game files, and anyone who want to can dig into their own copy. ^_^

Unicorns sound like fun! It'll be a shame if we get no werewolf/shapeshifter, though!

Field Researcher
#670 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:16 AM
Huh, it looks like pets are going to have wishes.
Lab Assistant
#671 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:23 AM
Woaaaah this is awesome! I actually cannot wait ^_^
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#672 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:26 AM
There's so much stuff there! D8

I really do wonder if those 'other pets' are spawners. Past experience says yes.

And I knew about deer and raccoons, but squirrels and Komodo Dragons! Hopefully, they wont be narrowed to a fish bowl lol

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#673 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:45 AM
Apparently you can go to the hospital to get plastic surgery. :o
Field Researcher
#674 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:46 AM
i hate that the new creature is not human
Retired
retired moderator
#675 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 8:50 AM
"Unicorns won't allow themselves to be bred like that!"

Er...

Locked thread
Page 27 of 100