Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#10601 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 11:57 PM

Placing doors in half tile increments looks even more likely, I think. Between "0" level foundations and now this? So much build mode excitement.

Let's Review Build Mode
Screenshots
Advertisement
Theorist
#10602 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:04 AM
Is that a door of death? It looks to lead straight off the second floor
Field Researcher
#10603 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:19 AM
You can also place random stairs around without the need of a floor above you. See here the stairs to heaven
Forum Resident
#10604 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54

From what we can see (we don't know otherwise), the foundations are all linked to one sliders (like roofs in TS3). They all go up and down at one time. We have no way of telling if everything is attached to a foundation or not.

Either way, veteran builders shouldn't be punished because they want to lower the barrier of entry, which is evident by the loss of quite a few unique features.

I think you're trying to talk about the height of the foundations all being the same, yes? Which wasn't what I was actually talking about, but okay. I do believe we won't be able to have different height foundations which is a massive shame.

What few unique features have you lost at the moment? Genuine question.
Field Researcher
#10605 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Valentine90

The ability to make a building on a foundation and a building without a foudation on the same lot.
However I find it funny they included the 'move a room/house around' function together with the 'put a foundation whenever you want' since the main problem was: You would build a house and forget the foundation -> demolish the whole thing -> place a foundation and build the whole house all over again. While we now could move the whole house place a foundation and put the house back on the foundation eliminating the need for an auto foundation tool.
Forum Resident
#10606 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TanookiMark
The ability to make a building on a foundation and a building without a foudation on the same lot.
However I find it funny they included the 'move a room/house around' function together with the 'put a foundation whenever you want' since the main problem was: You would build a house and forget the foundation -> demolish the whole thing -> place a foundation and build the whole house all over again. While we now could move the whole house place a foundation and put the house back on the foundation eliminating the need for an auto foundation tool.

But is that definitely out? That would be a massive shame to lose that feature though, I agree.

And you're right on the second point too, I can't think why they have added it to be honest.
Field Researcher
#10607 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:43 AM
But is that definitely out? That would be a massive shame to lose that feature though, I agree.

And you're right on the second point too, I can't think why they have added it to be honest.

Yhea I was just going to add it was based on my observations and assumptions. Things still could change till launch so I won't make any conclusions till then.
Inventor
#10608 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:49 AM
Would be nice to see a height slider although that's probably not going to happen. I think they don't do it because sims could look deformed in certain interactions.
Test Subject
#10609 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:05 AM
The relationship bar is really going to make or break this game for me. In fact, it's something I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned much by fans (from what I've read anyway).

The idea of the Sims 3 style returning is worrying me greatly. It seemed to take an hour for a sim to start interacting with another and having the one bar felt like such a downgrade. Going by the amount of downgrading Sims 4 has demonstrated so far, I don't have much hope for the short term/long term system making a return but I really long for it. Plus if they can fix that annoying thing of becoming best friends with anyone just by getting short term to 50+ and then phoning them after about a sim week I would really appreciate it.

The numbers and non-mutual relationships also made it easier to see who really liked/disliked who and added so much depth for me when studying big families/households or just friendship groups I created in The Sims 2 and honestly, whilst minor, is one of my favourite details.

I'm not as bothered by the interaction menus though - if they choose to separate things by friendly/flirty/mean etc again I won't be as bothered. Although I think a better method would be to separate them as Sims 2 style submenus within the "friendly", "flirty", "mean" etc sections. For instance, within "friendly" have "appreciate", "talk", "entertain", merging the two different methods together.

I hope this makes sense, I had no way of getting my thoughts out on this without making it some essay.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10610 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell

Placing doors in half tile increments looks even more likely, I think. Between "0" level foundations and now this? So much build mode excitement.

Let's Review Build Mode

The width of the door leads me to believe it's 2 times because it's too wide to be a single tile door. If that door would be placed at half tile intervals, it would have cut off at the hashed lines.

Many of the tools in build mode that aren't present. Half Walls, platforms, split levels, pools, basements, garages. A few other things hat don't come to mind as well.

Some features have been replaced, like friezes, fences with columns, cornices, etc. but the goal should be to improve, no remove.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Inventor
#10611 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:17 AM
I'd also like to see more interactions as in sims 2. For example in 3 when you're mean you can point out flaw, yell at, complain about, argue etc. but there's no creativity in them. They're pretty much the same thing just watching your sim yell. But in 2 I like having the shove, throw drink, and poke interactions.
Test Subject
#10612 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
I'd also like to see more interactions as in sims 2. For example in 3 when you're mean you can point out flaw, yell at, complain about, argue etc. but there's no creativity in them. They're pretty much the same thing just watching your sim yell. But in 2 I like having the shove, throw drink, and poke interactions.

Yeah I love the variety and also just how brilliantly comical they were in The Sims 2 with their fight interactions. They have so much personality, which is gone in Sims 3.

But I don't want to put down Sims 3 too much since that's basically what happens 24/7, so I'll also say I did like a lot of the interactions Sims 3 added, the little things like announcing pregnancy and asking about their day. With this new focus on emotions I really hope they can bring them back and improve them, also adding more.
Inventor
#10613 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:32 AM
I will admit there are things I like about the sims 3. I like how the vacation destinations in WA are real locations, not just themes. I like the way the land looks better and how realistic it looks. But I will admit I am way more impressed with 2. One benefit with 2 is while all the sims 3 ep's are still $30, the sims 2 ones are really cheap. I got the sims 2 Uni in November for $8. I am also ordering seasons for about $10. Not bad. In 2009 I was addicted to the sims 3 trailer. I always watched it, and I always thought "I want sims 3. Sims 2 sucks. Time to move on" But I guess reality kicked in for me.
Theorist
#10614 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:40 AM
I don't think we really know what we're getting as far as relationships and interactions. They did say that some interactions were based on mood/emotion. Maybe they're going back to the more difficult relationship interaction where you can't just spam something. It's not just la de da both of the sims are content. One sim could easily get pissed or flirty or sad and bail.

I like the two relationship bars since it does give us the whole one-sided/one night stand type thing and maybe it also signals that there would be some kind of attraction system in TS4. Could be FWB with a sim and they could end up in love with your sim.

There are a couple more questions.

Are interactions more difficult or can we spam interactions like TS3? Is there an attraction system? Can sims go on dates or is that being saved for an EP?
Scholar
#10615 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
Would be nice to see a height slider although that's probably not going to happen. I think they don't do it because sims could look deformed in certain interactions.

I just noticed that what's funny is that animated curtains are confirmed but not hair animations which is odd. It's very present in the Sims 2.

Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
I don't think we really know what we're getting as far as relationships and interactions. They did say that some interactions were based on mood/emotion. Maybe they're going back to the more difficult relationship interaction where you can't just spam something. It's not just la de da both of the sims are content. One sim could easily get pissed or flirty or sad and bail.

I like the two relationship bars since it does give us the whole one-sided/one night stand type thing and maybe it also signals that there would be some kind of attraction system in TS4. Could be FWB with a sim and they could end up in love with your sim.

This should of never happened in the Sims 3. It made relationships way too easier. I'm am all for a harder way to build up relationships. But not too hard, more like a balance between the two.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#10616 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:50 AM

Let's Review Build Mode

I see what you mean with the second picture where the same 2-tile door looks like it's on one tile. Either you can place them offset OR they included both single and 2 tile versions. Either way, I can admit that's a much needed improvement.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
#10617 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
Can sims go on dates or is that being saved for an EP?

Don't be naive. :lovestruc
Forum Resident
#10618 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:24 AM
OMG I can't believe it! I actually caught up!

All this talk of how the Sims acted and reacted in TS2 is making me feel nostalgic. I may have to install my collection and play for a while.

All I wanna say is that I can live without CASt, open worlds, etc. if it means we'll have more relatable Sims like we had in TS2. Bring back proper Sim-to-Sim relationships, animations, wants, fears, attraction, vacations and businesses and I will be a happy camper and throw my money at EA. I don't even care if we have to go back to loading screens (though I do hope optional story progression stays).

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#10619 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TanookiMark
Still can't get over the fact why the Sims 3 Showtime boardwalk wasn't in the game while it was already created .

Very cool looking lot. I got my hands on it from our video team with the intent of cleaning it up and releasing it to fans who wanted it... unfortunately it was very much built like a movie set and not a functional lot (which makes sense considering they build scenes for videos and only build out what's actually shown). It needed a lot of work and layout changes to even be reasonably usable, and by that point it wasn't particularly recognizable from the original picture. Ah well.

I'm quite happy this time around that many of the Sims you've seen in the marketing will be Sims that you can get your hands on in-game. After seeing them for a year or two you form some sort of connection to them

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
Theorist
#10620 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
I'm quite happy this time around that many of the Sims you've seen in the marketing will be Sims that you can get your hands on in-game. After seeing them for a year or two you form some sort of connection to them

That's brilliant... I know there's going to be a lot of happy Simmers when they hear this. Can you say how cautious I need to be when quoting you? Fans really fell in love with Ollie, Andre, Pancake Bob etc. so I don't want to overstate this and disappoint people later.
Retired
retired moderator
#10621 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
Very cool looking lot. I got my hands on it from our video team with the intent of cleaning it up and releasing it to fans who wanted it... unfortunately it was very much built like a movie set and not a functional lot (which makes sense considering they build scenes for videos and only build out what's actually shown). It needed a lot of work and layout changes to even be reasonably usable, and by that point it wasn't particularly recognizable from the original picture. Ah well.

I think that's very good news, personally. It was sad seeing all those personalities in the TS3 promos not make it into the game. It's a small thing, really, but even the reaction people had to finally having a sim of Liam O'Dourke in-game was sweet. It makes the sims seem so much less interchangeable and dispensable when the characters get to persist.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Scholar
#10622 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:53 AM Last edited by 9b8ll : 2nd Jun 2014 at 3:07 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by chreai
All I wanna say is that I can live without CASt, open worlds, etc. if it means we'll have more relatable Sims like we had in TS2. Bring back proper Sim-to-Sim relationships, animations, wants, fears, attraction, vacations and businesses and I will be a happy camper and throw my money at EA. I don't even care if we have to go back to loading screens (though I do hope optional story progression stays).
I would a very happy without CASt too if there was any news or any tools like bodyshop that will make creators import CC swatches and easily. Also tell CC creator the basics on how CC works in the Sims 4 not struggle how to do it. And of course animations and strong gameplay. But since no color wheel isn't present I don't know. *Sigh* I just want to be able to create CC for the Sims 4 in a smooth manner. Please don't let the whole game be even hard coded like the Sims 3. I just don't want a fear of No-CC brigade all over again and keep the gravy train running.

@SimGuruGraham: That good news!
Lab Assistant
#10623 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 3:29 AM
That's brilliant... I know there's going to be a lot of happy Simmers when they hear this. Can you say how cautious I need to be when quoting you? Fans really fell in love with Ollie, Andre, Pancake Bob etc. so I don't want to overstate this and disappoint people later.

I don't want to promise any particular Sims because things can and do unexpectedly change. You should see some familiar faces in various places though.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
Mad Poster
#10624 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 4:12 AM
I just hold a deep affection for Bob the Pancake Man. Or at least, that's what I think his name is. I need him and his frowns and his pancakes and his beard. I don't know why. I just know that I do.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Forum Resident
#10625 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 4:21 AM
Total agreement, Angie. Of all the TS4 sims we've seen so far, Pancake Bob is my favorite. Please try to get him in the game for us, Graham!
Locked thread
Page 425 of 817