Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 2:21 AM
Sims 2 Ultimate Collection... and Sims2Pack files?
Okay, so I got the UC. Yay..

Took me a while to find Body Shop.. found that with help online...
(Body Shop is in the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder (located in OS > Program Files (X86) Origin games) > Fun with Pets > SP9 >CSBin. I was able access it. I have Windows 8.1. Have had no issues installing or playing.)

So, I've spent the last few days.. re-downloading all of the "essentials" that I used to enjoy. And now I have a new problem... This version of The Sims 2 doesn't seem to recognize Sims2Pack files. My computer doesn't know what to do with them.

Anyone have some helpful hints here on how to get them to install now?

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 2:26 AM
Yes use the Clean Installer and you will need to set the path every time you want to use it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 2:40 AM
You don't have to set the path every time. See comment #457 (page 19) in the SCI topic on how to customize the path. It worked for me, at least.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=409950
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 3:09 AM
And thank you for helping us find Bodyshop. I remember hearing some people commenting that the Ultimate Collection didn't ship with Bodyshop - well, thankfully, it did.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:42 PM
Thank you all for this!

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 2:52 PM
Thanks for the thread! I was about to post about where to find bodyshop - I removed all my EPs just so I could download the Ultimate collection from my origin
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 6:57 PM
Figured It Out!
Figured it out on Windows 7 (x64).

First, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\CSBin. (same place as Bodyshop)

You should see PackageInstaller.

Double-click it.

Give it a minute.

A screen should say "Double-click a sims2package to install it".

Press okay.

Then, go find a sims2pack file and double-click it.

It should bring up the "which program do you need to open this" screen.

Click Browse.

Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\CSBin.

Choose PackageInstaller.

MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE "ALWAYS OPEN THIS KIND OF FILE WITH THIS PROGRAM" OPTION!

Click "open" or "Ok".

Wait a minute.

If that familiar "install this package" screen pops up, do a dance!

If not, try the steps again and keep researching.

Maximus Laboratories: We do what must because we can.
Instructor
#8 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 11:21 PM
I've had no issues here, wat you do is right click once it's all installed and click 'open with' and it should find it for you, it did for me, i do the same i just package everything as it saves everything inside the house including the sims memories . So chuffed i now have all the expansions too hehe.
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 12:12 PM
Default This was exactly what I was looking for on my Sims 2 Ultimate Collection!!!
I have been looking for this information for the last 3 days, and I couldn't find it anywhere. My Sims2Packs were being installed, but none of the custom content from these package files were showing up in my game. I came across your thread, and I was like that is the same exact same operating system that my computer has, so I followed your directions to a T, and it worked amazingly, now my game is full of beautiful custom content. A MILLION Thank you's are not enough- I have been racking my brain for the last few days trying to figure out where all my custom content went, Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! You are a Rock Star
Quote: Originally posted by BrEaKsYsTeM

First, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\CSBin. (same place as Bodyshop)

Double-click it.

Give it a minute.

Press okay.

Click Browse.

Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\CSBin.

Choose PackageInstaller.

MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE "ALWAYS OPEN THIS KIND OF FILE WITH THIS PROGRAM" OPTION!

Click "open" or "Ok".

Wait a minute.

Test Subject
#10 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 7:57 PM
Default Thank you!

Double-click it.

Give it a minute.

Press okay.

Click Browse.

Choose PackageInstaller.

Click "open" or "Ok".

Wait a minute.

I was having the exact same problem. Thank you soooooo much for the directions! You are wonderful.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 8:47 PM
This is so weird to me: I have Windows 7 x64. I opened Clean Installer the first time after installing the UC, thinking I would need to set the path, and it had already found it.

So just because you have that configuration doesn't mean Clean Installer won't figure it out all on its own, though apparently it also doesn't mean that it will.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 10:17 PM
BrEaKsYsTeM's instructions are good for a temporary fix, but there are a bunch of disadvantages to using the game's installer:
  • You can't remove unwanted CC that's packaged with sims and lots, or even know it's there
  • You may end up with hacks you don't want from installing lots
  • You can't tell if a lot is corrupted (contains sims) and will corrupt your neighbourhood
  • If you try to install sims made by someone with store edition, you'll get an error.

A better solution is to follow the steps in Ultimate Collection FAQs to get your Clean Installer working with UC. Those are the same steps that were linked in post #3.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#13 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 1:01 AM
Everything I have downloaded has come down as package files . Nothing has come down as a sims 2 pack and so I have just put them manually in my download folder. Seems to be working except for the lots and I am not sure where to place these. Thankyou for any help or advice.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 1:19 AM
.package files don't require any special treatment, just drop them into the Downloads folder or in another folder, depending on the creation. The majority of custom content, like objects, Sim appearances, and mods, don't need to be in a Sims2Pack file. Lots are the exception. In order to package and export them from the game, the game will zip them into a Sims2Pack file, which needs to be unpackaged later. The game will usually grab and package any CC used in making the lot, but it often misfires and packages a mod or something as well. That's why we have the Clean Installer! It can help make sure your lots are clean before you upload them to MTS, and they help downloaders secure their game before letting the downloaded goods in. It's like airport security, only without the expensive equipment.
Test Subject
#15 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:33 AM
Thanks k6ka, Everything objects sims clothing, lots has arrived in the package style, lots included, I have not sighted even 1 sims 2 pack to use with the clean installer. I have open the sims 2 installer thing but have had nothing to double click on. I don't know why lots are not downloading in the sims 2 pack format. Thanks again k6ka
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
BrEaKsYsTeM's instructions are good for a temporary fix, but there are a bunch of disadvantages to using the game's installer:
  • You can't remove unwanted CC that's packaged with sims and lots, or even know it's there
  • You can't tell if a lot is corrupted (contains sims) and will corrupt your neighbourhood
  • If you try to install sims made by someone with store edition, you'll get an error.

A better solution is to follow the steps in Ultimate Collection FAQs to get your Clean Installer working with UC. Those are the same steps that were linked in post #3.

Wholeheartedly, I agree with and suggest this.

Maximus Laboratories: We do what must because we can.
Test Subject
#17 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lainey
Thanks k6ka, Everything objects sims clothing, lots has arrived in the package style, lots included, I have not sighted even 1 sims 2 pack to use with the clean installer. I have open the sims 2 installer thing but have had nothing to double click on. I don't know why lots are not downloading in the sims 2 pack format. Thanks again k6ka
Hello answer to my problem was that I had forgotten I had to allow the sims 2 package installer to open my downloaded lots and sims. thanks :p
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st May 2015 at 5:03 PM
OMG THANK YOU!

Double-click it.

Give it a minute.

Press okay.

Click Browse.

Choose PackageInstaller.

Click "open" or "Ok".

Wait a minute.

Field Researcher
#19 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 10:44 AM Last edited by Nysha : 31st Aug 2017 at 9:30 PM.
For to get it to work on Windows Vista

Snipped by mod - it's already an .exe file! Don't mess with install executables unless you really really need to!

Next Steps
  1. Then go a sims2pack
  2. Right click
  3. Click 'Open With'
  4. Tick 'Open Using Already Installed Software' then ok
  5. Tick 'Always Use the Selected Program to open this file'
  6. Then chose the arrow on side of 'Other Programs' and scroll until you see 'The Sims 2 Bodyshop Package Installer'
  7. Click it then hit ok.

(If in an event you do not find 'The Sims 2 Bodyshop Package Installer' as I said
  1. go to browse
  2. Search for it in the place you found it before
  3. Click it and press okay.
  4. Then make sure it's clicked on the 'Open With' window then click OK!

I really hope this helped many people, it took me a little while to find this solution, but it was maybe an hour, but I found it. I was actually praying a bit to find it. God sure answers prayers. :D

Tears rain, everytime your mouth opens with pain.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lonelyeco
For to get it to work on Windows Vista
  1. Go to: c:\Program Files\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\CSBin
  2. Right click: PackageInstaller
  3. Click rename
  4. add '.exe' at the end of PackageInstaller
  5. It should look like this 'Package Installer.exe' with out the '

Next Steps
  1. Then go a sims2pack
  2. Right click
  3. Click 'Open With'
  4. Tick 'Open Using Already Installed Software' then ok
  5. Tick 'Always Use the Selected Program to open this file'
  6. Then chose the arrow on side of 'Other Programs' and scroll until you see 'The Sims 2 Bodyshop Package Installer'
  7. Click it then hit ok.

(If in an event you do not find 'The Sims 2 Bodyshop Package Installer' as I said
  1. go to browse
  2. Search for it in the place you found it before
  3. Click it and press okay.
  4. Then make sure it's clicked on the 'Open With' window then click OK!

I really hope this helped many people, it took me a little while to find this solution, but it was maybe an hour, but I found it. I was actually praying a bit to find it. God sure answers prayers. :D

The Clean Installer has been updated, though, to work with UC - you can just download one.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha

Is it possible to update the FAQ - the Clean Installer has been updated to work with UC for some time? UC players can just download the updated version instead of following all those steps - it seems that few players know about it.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
The Clean Installer has been updated, though, to work with UC - you can just download one.

I know. My Clean Installer works with UC, just is a long process every time since you have to redirect every time. The way I showed was to get Sims2Pack's to work as they normally did in The Sims 2.

Tears rain, everytime your mouth opens with pain.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 9:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lonelyeco
I know. My Clean Installer works with UC, just is a long process every time since you have to redirect every time. The way I showed was to get Sims2Pack's to work as they normally did in The Sims 2.

It is a long process if you use the version before it was updated again on 2 August 2014. I also did the long process and then found the updated version and it works exactly the same as it did in my disc game. There is a line in the text that says it has been updated to work with UC and recognizes 64 bit thanks you abluescarab. The update, I think, was after the FAQ was written. See here:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=409950
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 7:14 PM
i could not get the installer to work, so what i did was i tried to open the sims 2 pak files with the bodyshop installer. i simply clicked ''open with'' and then found the sims installer in Program Files (X86) Origin games) > Fun with Pets > SP9 >CSBin. now it woks perfectly.