Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Guidelines/Rubrics Changes - posted on 16th Jun 2017 at 6:09 PM
Replies: 5773 (Who?), Viewed: 394491 times.
Page 175 of 231
Forum Resident
#4351 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 3:15 PM
The reason something such as more than 8 CAS Sims during family creation and adding whole new clothing categories can't be done is because that stuff is integrated into the game engine itself, and not some existing BHAV which could be easily altered. If we had the source code to Sims 2, basically every issue it has could be fixed, and it could then be expanded upon immensely. The thing which is more likely to happen would be if someone were to use an existing PC game engine (Unity, Unreal, etc...) and recreate the entire game using every asset Sims 2 uses, and in the end you'd have a life simulator that looks and plays just like Sims 2, but doesn't have all the issues the original has. The plus to this is if you wanted an open-world aspect like Sims 3 has, then you can make the game with that in mind and then make the rest, whereas if you had the source to Sims 2, you'd effectively rewrite a huge portion of the game engine to allow that.
Forum Resident
#4352 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 3:29 PM
I mean, they did release it for free with the UC. You just needed a code which quickly spread across the internet. Dammit, EAxis!

My 4 posts per day average died after I stayed off the site for a month, feels bad man.
#4353 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 4:43 PM
Interestingly enough, the source code for the original SimCity has been released. Because of trademark reasons, the free version is called Micropolis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ble_source_code

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's?
Mad Poster
#4354 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 5:40 PM
So if you download Micropolis can you use terrains built in it for neighborhoods? Or does it have to be SC4?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#4355 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 6:12 PM
I believe Micropolis doesn't generate terrain in a file compatible with TS2, not to mention is based on the original Sim City, so no stuff like terrain elevation or so.
Forum Resident
#4356 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 6:29 PM
Micropolis is definitely not usable with Sims 2 in any way. The SC they open sourced was made in 1989, and was for more platforms than I care to list, so.. yeah. Would be nice if a more recent entry in the Sim* series would go open source. The issue I might see with Sims 2 going open is EA would probably remove all the assets, so you'd have the engine, but none of the models, animations, music, or even sounds, so you'd have to either rip them from the closed-source version, or recreate them, but at that point, why not just recreate the game from scratch (like I mentioned above)?
Now what dammit?
staff: moderator
#4357 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 6:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
So if you download Micropolis can you use terrains built in it for neighborhoods? Or does it have to be SC4?

Has to be SC4.

You know what I'd like if it could be put on something like the Unreal Engine would be an open neighbourhood but with closed off lots to live on. So you could loads the lots to play specific families but once the sim moved outside the lot, they could freely wander over the whole map.

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876

Polls: length of neighbourhood play: http://www.strawpoll.me/10908815 & http://www.strawpoll.me/10908842

Thread for yakking about making TS2 stuff
Instructor
DELETED POST
12th Oct 2016 at 7:34 PM
This message has been deleted by terula8.
#4358 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 7:43 PM
And chances are if someone did try to re-create it, EA would hit them with a dozen takedown notices.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's?
Alchemist
#4359 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 7:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin

No, it's the original Sim City. It had various maps already generated in the game; you couldn't add your own. Very simplistic.

"Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it for awhile."
Instructor
#4360 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 8:32 PM
Know those little icons that appear over the Sim's pictures down in the bottom left that indicate they are "at work", "at school", "snuck out", etc ... I'd like one for "asleep"

That way, when I send four to bed and there are routing issues and one wanders off to star-gaze, I don't discover him/her at 3am freezing to death and about to pass out on the back porch!
Forum Resident
#4361 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 8:39 PM
Or dead because they stargazed.

My 4 posts per day average died after I stayed off the site for a month, feels bad man.
Now what dammit?
#4362 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 9:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemandatoryregister
And chances are if someone did try to re-create it, EA would hit them with a dozen takedown notices.

I'm not so sure about that - certainly if they re-used or recreated the actual code but general ideas like a life-simulation are not copyrightable. Look what happened to SimCity or City Skylines as it's now known.

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876

Polls: length of neighbourhood play: http://www.strawpoll.me/10908815 & http://www.strawpoll.me/10908842

Thread for yakking about making TS2 stuff
#4363 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 9:50 PM
Dunno, you might be right. I was mostly thinking about a couple other fan games that got hit with takedown notices from Nintendo.

Forum Resident
#4364 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoward69
Know those little icons that appear over the Sim's pictures down in the bottom left that indicate they are "at work", "at school", "snuck out", etc ... I'd like one for "asleep"

That way, when I send four to bed and there are routing issues and one wanders off to star-gaze, I don't discover him/her at 3am freezing to death and about to pass out on the back porch!

And that way if you have a giant house and the game suddenly slows to single speed, you don't have to either click to every single sim or look in every single bedroom.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Scholar
#4365 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 12:36 PM
A mod that makes a sims job title an editable field when technically unemployed; so that for example if you have a teacher for a school (with IJs set) you can put "Teacher" instead of unemployed. I have many sims that fall into the technical unemployed category when they actually just have special jobs, so this is quite a pet peeve for me.

My downloads archived at Wordpress.
My photo blog at Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#4366 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 12:47 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 16th Oct 2016 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Might not fix the peeve for you, but have you considered the Freelancer career by dinhd here on MTS? (found here) It's an empty career with no work hours, no pay, no nothing. It's intended to be used for Sims that have some other kind of job, so that they don't roll wants to get a job when they technically already have one.

It just says Footloose Fella/Liberated Lady as job title, which might not be what you want. But what you could do is edit the career levels to have titles you want in your game, and use simblender or one of those mods to edit which career level they are at.

I don't recommend reading the business-option if you are any degree of feminist, because it's highly offensive. But hey, the concept is still good and the freelance-option isn't offensive.

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
Needs Coffee
#4367 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblebeam
A mod that makes a sims job title an editable field when technically unemployed; so that for example if you have a teacher for a school (with IJs set) you can put "Teacher" instead of unemployed. I have many sims that fall into the technical unemployed category when they actually just have special jobs, so this is quite a pet peeve for me.

I give them jobs, often downloaded jobs that I downloaded often just for one of the career level titles. Then I place the simlogical institution sign on there lot and they never have to go to that job.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#4368 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 10:54 PM
my last post; maybe "public domain" was the term I was looking for instead of "freeware".

about the symbols on sim thumbnails; I think each off-lot experience have a symbol. and maybe also sleeping. excluding community lot trips.
and those symbols perhaps also apply to relationship panel; at least work/school.

about job title being editable when "unemployed", job details may also need to be edited. something better would be that the game recognize the "special jobs".
Forum Resident
#4369 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 1:18 PM
I'd like to see a hack that handles the CAS pricing system more intelligently.

Alchemist
#4370 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 2:07 PM
The only one I know of is Simslice's hacked coat rack. It's on the booty. There are a lot of options to let you buy clothes for free, and those are what I usually go for, but if a sim absolutely won't stop whining because they want to "buy" clothes, I'll sometimes put that on the lot to shut them up.

"Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it for awhile."
Forum Resident
#4371 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 2:37 PM
Oh, I meant that when sims are created fresh in CAS with barely enough money to buy a starter house.

#4372 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 8:51 PM
I wish you could move occupied houses between subhoods without corrupting the game or moving the family out and then back in.

Field Researcher
#4373 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 12:41 AM
I don't know how it could be done, but a lot uniform setter! Say I want to make a scene for a private school and want the uniform to not be the default one for the game. Sure, I can just manually change every single sim's everyday outfit to the desired uniform, but imagine being able to open up a menu like the Clothing Tool for "set lot uniform for Age/Sex" and having every sim show up wearing it with no hassle.
Needs Coffee
#4374 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 12:56 AM
The simlogical school has a uniform setter.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#4375 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 1:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
The simlogical school has a uniform setter.

Does it let you open a menu to set a specific outfit or is there only a choice between certain outfits?
Page 175 of 231