Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1301 Old 13th May 2017 at 12:08 AM
I like the idea of the added ramp. One of my friends has a ramp and those look very close to hers.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#1302 Old 13th May 2017 at 5:36 AM
Got my house done! Woke up this morning with a fairly clear vision of how I wanted it done

Sooo went in and built it

Will have pictures up soon. Got part of them done tonight, then tomorrow I can finish them.
Mad Poster
#1303 Old 13th May 2017 at 2:51 PM
Default NOT AN ENTRY - The Rhodes Family and their out-of-town Encampment
Well I promised some pictures of the lot that I built for the hippie couple, The Rhodes. I can't have them in the contest, even as a play-along, because that would need both Seasons (to grow plants for food) and Free Time (to make pottery), but I wanted them in the community, so I made them in CAS, and then built a lot for them to live on. Not being governed by the contest rules, I had complete freedom on its design. Basically they parked their trailer on some very uneven ground beside to the road out of Elswyn. What they call their Encampment has grown from there. It's not built on any of the contest foundations. In fact the only "foundations" there are two brick piers where the trailer's wheels used to be. Or maybe the wheels are still there behind the bricks. Since their arrival many years ago, they have added a couple of outbuildings and various other things. They clearly have no intention of leaving. Here are the pics:
(They are a mixture of FRAPS pictures and in-game ones.)

The Encampment next to the Road out of Elswyn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I've got that posted, I'll have to get on with the Lamberts' house!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#1304 Old 13th May 2017 at 3:25 PM
Nice work, AndrewGloria

That is one intriguing screenshot, Willim!

Party time! Because it is weekend, of course !
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#1305 Old 13th May 2017 at 4:10 PM Last edited by NatteryakToad : 13th May 2017 at 4:27 PM.
Default Round 3 Play Along - Lambert
Okay, here it is (because I keep looking at it and not changing anything, so I might as well post it):

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#1306 Old 13th May 2017 at 5:56 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th May 2017 at 6:08 PM.
A double-decker treehouse! Fascinating! And I'm impressed you could get a fence in there, too. I could barely squeeze in a second toddler potty by the time I finished with the Lambert house.

A lot with a trailer would be very much in accordance with those hippies who aren't very well-heeled, but still embrace the hippie life-style. And lots of color and activity! This is a well-lived in lot ... comfy and welcoming. I could very well imagine having a cup of herbal tea with them. No bubble-blowing for me, though.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#1307 Old 13th May 2017 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NatteryakToad
Okay, here it is (because I keep looking at it and not changing anything, so I might as well post it):

I love your treehouse! The two tiers look really good and they fit really well in the tree.
Scottiedoag
Mad Poster
#1308 Old 13th May 2017 at 8:06 PM
YAY!!! My scores are signed, sealed, and delivered! Now I can go sim our [hopefully] new RL house

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
...I could barely squeeze in a second toddler potty by the time I finished with the Lambert house....

Remember - CC is quite often cheaper. You'll lose the bonus, but you can do a lot more with it (usually)

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1309 Old 13th May 2017 at 8:11 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th May 2017 at 9:57 PM.
I might be posting my entry earlier than Tuesday. Utterly no comment on whether I'll be doing more tweaking before I have to go, though. I've tested for an entire Sims year with the Elliots, and into the next season with the Lamberts. No stompies whatsoever with the Elliots and I think I sorted out the Lamberts (at least 98% of the routing problems). During this last tweaking session, my daughter (and one of the strictest judges I know! ) remarked about the Elliot house, "I think your entry is where it should be now. Post it already!"

Also, my obsession with trying to get the main contest lot completed before I have to leave Wednesday morning (Tuesday will be a wash because I'll be packing, making sure any last-minute arrangements are completed, and going to bed a little earlier, and Sunday looks like it will be a wash at least half of the day as well for other reasons) has elicited the comment to post this already from all my family members ... not just my daughter. I've been a little ... just a little distracted already. Just a little. I've been spending many, many hours on both lots.

I might also post the Lambert house after testing one more season in the event that the Elliot house doesn't meet a contest requirement. I've studied the Elliot place foreward, backward and sideways to make sure it is hitting all the marks, taking the Round 1 comments heavily into consideration as I built both lots, but in the event I messed something up, I can use the Lambert house, though I won't be able to be as thorough with the pictures on that one. It would be easy to change the heading from "Contest Entry" to "NOT a Contest Entry" using my tablet at a wifi spot. I will be hundreds of miles away from my game for quite a while, and may not even want to return to the game for several hours after I return. One thing that I realized is that my trip this week is going to be exceedingly stressful and exhausting (these trips always are ... I've done these several times), and even when I come back, it might take me some time to recover. My husband reminded of this.

Maybe my family knows that better than I do. So I'm working on pictures right now, and I forgot that can take a while, too. Yup ... I forgot all those retakes already! I wound up with four pictures after an hour because in all the excitement, I forgot to put paintings or photos on a few of the blank walls, so that may take a while until my Sims get crackin' with those wall decor pieces! Except for a missing wallpaper or a misplaced object, whether I think this lot is 100% ready or not, once I get those pictures done (one down, about two or three to go), it's showtime.

Field Researcher
#1310 Old 13th May 2017 at 9:21 PM
I was mostly content with my lots for the Elliots. It's just one storey and at most a bit boring maybe. The one I've build for the Lamberts I've given up. I tried it with 8 sims in it and it's just to small. Especially, once those toddlers grow up. And then I had an idea for the Newmans yesterday. That totally didn't work at all, but now I have a house for them as well - completely different from what I had in mind. I usually don't play with pets, so I'll have to test it rather thoroughly though. It took me a while to even find an aquarium.

Question @joandsarah77
When it says two bedrooms, do you mean actual bedrooms with beds in them? Or is that just a describtion how many rooms a house has? If I have a bedroom, a cat room and a bird/rat room in addition to the kitchen/dining/living area, does that count?

That double treehouse is really cool! I'm sure the boys love their playground a lot
Top Secret Researcher
#1311 Old 13th May 2017 at 9:51 PM
NatteryakToad, your treehouse is so cute!!! I think that is the main reason I have shied away from that family. I have no idea how to do a proper tree-house, and I hate to flounder around stupidly until I admit defeat, haha.

enebya, I did the same as you and just have a sort of "cat room" and space for birds, so I sure hope that is OK, because I sure do not want to take more pictures. Ugh. The womrat got a spot in the hall, so he doesn't wake anyone up.

I picked the Newman family to do, and it's all done. I took pictures and now just have to upload them. I had to remove a few walls to get pictures of a room, so I hope the judges will be OK with that!
Mad Poster
#1312 Old 13th May 2017 at 10:01 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th May 2017 at 10:18 PM.
I have a question as well. My Lambert house is three stories. I know it's 17 pictures for one story, 18 pictures for two stories ... would it be 19 for three? While the Elliot house is my official entry, I need to be prepared in case someone sees a major problem with the Elliot house that goes against the rules or requirements. I may not be able to fix it.

I'm checking the requirements, foundation, wants on the Elliot house and THINK I'm good with those. My eyes are starting to bug out here from staring at everything. I don't believe my outdoor structure will be a problem, though it's on a foundation, because the walls are completely open (as they would be with most gazebos/canopies/pavilions/pergolas), and there is no way you can use this structure for any purpose other than sitting outside and painting; perhaps a little chatting or dancing (yes, you can dance there), but that's it. But in the event I overlooked a rule or requirement, I need to be prepared.

My next round will be worse ... I'l have only about five or six days to design, play test, photograph and upload in that one. However, I'll be losing time in the beginning of the round and not the end, so I believe one lot should do it that time, unless I have a strong desire to make two!

Lab Assistant
#1313 Old 13th May 2017 at 10:04 PM
Default Can't make up my mind
I really just can't make up my mind whether or not to use the lot I've built. It's not what you would call conventional but then again with the Rhodes I don't suppose it has to be.
I kind of like it and everything that makes up the lot is there for a reason and makes sense but I still don't know. Here is a pic. What do you all think? It is a half wrecked factory building that they stumbled upon and, desparetely needing somewhere to stay, they took over and started to fix up but they have limited money so some walls still need attention and they prioritised food production on the roof with a scavenged greenhouse before the other things that need doing.

Scottiedoag
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#1314 Old 13th May 2017 at 10:15 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th May 2017 at 10:31 PM.
I really, really like the premise! Like you, I see the Rhodes re-purposing an old lot and making it new as a type of recycling, rather than mixing and matching. Both are great approaches, though! "Recycling" can have a couple of meanings here. I take it you're going with using CC ... I have those wrecked walls in my good game.

You could perhaps squeeze a little bit for decor by removing a tree. Even if it's a re-purposed lot, the judges may still take off for no decor if your interiors are bare. If you are OK with CC, you can buy weeds: http://modthesims.info/t/510943. There are other weeds and overgrown CC items out there. Also: http://modthesims.info/d/401149. Rebecah's Affinity Sims has some lovely dandelions and Queen Anne's lace that I use way too often in my parks and other grounds: http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1624-dandelions/ and http://affinitysims.com/files/file/...it-for-a-queen/ . I really enjoy using the Queen Anne's Lace. Don't ask me why.

Oh, for more Queen Anne's Lace: https://rdnussimaginethat.blogspot....asonal%20plants . If you haven't been on this site before, I apologize. Your Downloads folder will hate you! There are some stray daisies you can use, too.

I also have tree stumps in my good game. There is one here. It is a really old download, so I don't know what the textures look like. I'm not on my good game right now, so I don't know where I got my tree seat and trunks.

http://modthesims.info/d/97826

Lab Assistant
#1315 Old 13th May 2017 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I really, really like the premise! Like you, I see the Rhodes re-purposing an old lot and making it new as a type of recycling, rather than mixing and matching. Both are great approaches! "Recycling" can have a couple of meanings here. I take it you're going with using CC ... I have those wrecked walls in my good game.

You could perhaps squeeze a little bit for decor by removing a tree. Even if it's a re-purposed lot, the judges may still take off for no decor. If you are OK with CC, you can buy weeds: http://modthesims.info/t/510943. There are other weeds and overgrown CC items out there. Also: http://modthesims.info/d/401149. Rebecah's Affinity Sims has some lovely dandelions and Queen Anne's lace that I use way too often in my parks and other grounds: http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1624-dandelions/ and http://affinitysims.com/files/file/...it-for-a-queen/ . I really enjoy using the Queen Anne's Lace. Don't ask me why.

I have the Queen Anne's Lace and I love it too. The pic doesn't really show it well but all around the edges of the lot there are dandelions and hollyhock. There's also flax and mushrooms even some deadly nightshade. (I was a botanist in RL so I love all sorts of plants) There is also a herb garden round back. I think it's because the lot is so different that I can't make up my mind.... Hmm thanks so much for your feedback it's greatly appreciated
Scottiedoag
Theorist
#1316 Old 13th May 2017 at 10:43 PM
NatteryakToad, that treehouse is awesome! Very creative.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#1317 Old 13th May 2017 at 11:34 PM
Scottie, different is good, especially for a couple like the Rhodes who live as well as think out of the box. Remember Voeille got the highest score in the qualification round for a house that was startling in its originality. So I say go for it, especially if you love it.

Personally I'd rather get the lowest score for a house I loved, than the highest for one I was only "meh" about.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#1318 Old 14th May 2017 at 1:51 AM Last edited by gazania : 14th May 2017 at 3:02 AM.
When I did the first and second versions of the Newman house in the second round, I felt there was something lacking. Structurally, it was fine. But something was clearly missing to me; something I couldn't quite figure out. It was when I discarded the previous ideas and went with a different style that the house actually took shape for me. I called it a type of "soul" in the building.

With these two lots in this round, when my daughter first looked at them, she said about the Elliot lot, "There's something different here." Not the style of the house. I did nothing extraordinary with it ... no razzle-dazzle. I doubt many of you will be dropping your jaws in awe at it. She said she could feel that I approached the house differently from the other one. She said both were good lots, but that something about the Elliot lot was why she preferred it just a little more, even though she thought both of the lots had pros and cons.

There are a few ways to approach building a lot. None of them are wrong, the lots may look perfectly fine, and people may enjoy and download them without a hitch ... and praise the lot builder no matter what. But there is something about certain lots that perhaps show you more of the builder's personality; thus adding a sense of personality to the lot itself. The judges may think it stinks in terms of structure and execution ... that's a risk one might take in this contest. It is up to the lot builder whether to go with the structural aspect, the personal aspect, or a combo of both. I don't think there's a wrong way to approach this. Personally, I'd try for a combo, but that's not always easy to do.

It's hard for me to explain, and I doubt I'm doing a good job even now.

If I won this contest, it would probably be because 18 others dropped out. What I aim for are lots that I am proud of; that I would put in MY game. I also aim to better my building skills.

Lab Assistant
#1319 Old 14th May 2017 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Scottie, different is good, especially for a couple like the Rhodes who live as well as think out of the box. Remember Voeille got the highest score in the qualification round for a house that was startling in its originality. So I say go for it, especially if you love it.

Personally I'd rather get the lowest score for a house I loved, than the highest for one I was only "meh" about.

You know you are absolutely right! Thanks for helping me see that. The lot has to win out for me if only because of the Frank Zappa poster lol
Thanks so much. Now to try to figure out how to take pics of it to show what is there.
Scottiedoag
Field Researcher
#1320 Old 14th May 2017 at 1:56 AM
Gazania, if you can't decide which one to use, you can post both, and ask us which one we like better. I admire your thoroughness and am really curious how you wrapped everything together. I imagine playability is flawless! So cute how your daughter is helping you, she is involved in some sort of preliminary round. I wonder if she is old enough to play the game and learn how to build herself.. When I was a little girl, I'd always imagined how I would have a daughter one day and help her make a dollhouse. I guess now I would simply teach her how to make one in The Sims.

Scottiedoag, I absolutely agree with Penni, different is GOOD! That's the most interesting thing in these contests, different approaches. If all of us would have to build the houses of the same design, with the same predictable style, or strictly follow the line of a foundation or the same pattern - everyone would have similar lots, houses with the same shape, style, color and purpose, and that would be quite boring. I find it more creative to add personal touch, It's what makes it more unique. Personally, I love your idea, especially since it is so different from mine for example. Rhodes are simply so inspiring familly, there are very few limits with what we can do. My favorite entries posted so far are mostly involving them. I think Jo nailed it with that family. My favorite details from your picture are broken wall pieces and greenhouse on the top. The terrain paint is also beautiful. Sometimes I'm tempted to try CC too, but, oh, well...

AndrewGloria, I've already told you how much I love your vision of the Rhodes. I love how you weren't afraid of the colors inside. I wasn't that brave, but you managed to free them more. Too bad most of the pictures are blurry. Bubble Blower! I wanted that object so much, but it is so expensive and I ran out of money.

NatteryakToad, that multi-level treehouse is such a wonderful idea! You adjusted it to the shape of that tree so well. Really, really good work with it. I also love how you arranged the available space in the house, it looks surprisingly play-friendly, given the number of family members and foundation size. The color scheme of the living room is my favorite. And those portraits add so much to the overall feeling of warmth.

I have a little bit of progress too, played a little tonight and tried my best to implement Phoenoh's advice. Just to collect few pictures and I'll post them.
Mad Poster
#1321 Old 14th May 2017 at 2:06 AM Last edited by gazania : 14th May 2017 at 2:19 AM.
I plan to post both. My situation this time is that if I have to make a major change, I am not going to be near a computer with this game for a few days, or may be too tired or upset to want to work on them when I return. (I really, really dread these next two trips. I've done them before, and they just take so much out of me.) If it turned out I messed up with the Elliot house ... accidentally added onto the foundation or did something against contest rules, for instance, I may have, at best one day to fix everything, and that won't be enough time. I might have a few hours to fix stuff when I get back, or an hour or two before I leave. That's it. So NO 100 pictures and tons of oopses like the last round. No time for that. If it turns out I messed up with the Elliot house, then I change the title on the Lambert house to a contest entry and HOPE that one is better, though my picture-taking might be a little quicker on the second one.

My daughter is 23, by the way. She is not a master builder, but we've looked at lots together here and elsewhere in the past (she used to play quite a bit for several years), she knows what I'm going for and my limitations and strong points, and she can help me see if I missed a wallpaper. Things are so, so chaotic now, I'm trying to get these entries out in a day or two, and it really helps to have the second pair of eyes. I've been doing a lot of revisions on both lots, and she has been so patient telling me whether I'm actually making things better or worse!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1322 Old 14th May 2017 at 2:30 AM
@enebya Which family are you asking about? The Newman's need two bedrooms-rooms with beds in them for human sims, 1 for themselves and 1 as a guest room. Animal dedicated rooms are extra to that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#1323 Old 14th May 2017 at 2:35 AM Last edited by MystAngel : 14th May 2017 at 4:13 AM.
Default Progress
Gazania, I'm sure you won't mess anything up that badly; you're simply a perfectionist, and the things you tend to fix are details. I am too, but in a different way. I usually don't even look at the screenshots after I post them, because there is a big chance I'll completely hate them .
Wow, 23. Sometimes I forget how diverse TS2 community is, and how mature some members can be. I hope I'm not out of line sometimes, considering the fact most members here are so much older than me.

Following Phoenoh's feedback, I deleted the Asian roof decor, changed roof angles, added few walls to improve the shape, introduced a little bit of CFE to also add to the shape variety (improvised few roofs, shrank the chimney etc), added few more minor things... I'm sorry, but I couldn't swap AL and M&G roof pieces. Not that I ignored the advise; it just didn't work well and wasn't worth the cost. I'll also include the roof floorplan to show the shape and that it doesn't look rectangular at all, but I really couldn't afford expanding the structure more to achieve that airy feeling desired. It still looks compact and "busy".

Thanks, Phoenoh, for provided feedback (I tried to honor it as best as I could at the moment), and don't worry if you still dislike it, or if I misunderstood your tips. If anyone thinks I ruined the thing , or that I simply didn't improve it at all, feel free to use the disagree button.

@joandsarah77
Jo, I have a question. For the Rhodes' garden, do we have to buy fruit trees while building, and make them part of the budget, or can we put them when we move the family in and make them plant and grow the rest of the garden? It would mean so much to me if I could delete the tree and buy a bubble blower for example.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#1324 Old 14th May 2017 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MystAngel
Gazania, I'm sure you won't mess anything up that badly; you're simply a perfectionist, and the things you tend to fix are details. I am too, but in a different way. I usually don't even look at the screenshots after I post them, because there is a big chance I'll completely hate them .
Wow, 23. Sometimes I forget how diverse TS2 community is, and how mature some members can be. I hope I'm not out of line sometimes, considering the fact most members here are so much older than me.

Ok my turn to do a Peni
I must be similar age to Gazania as I also have a daughter who is 23 so I have to say be yourself because if you are not it is something you will really regret later on Okay mummy hat off lol

Quote:
Following Phoenoh's feedback, I deleted the Asian roof decor, changed roof angles, added few walls to improve the shape, introduced a little bit of CFE to also add to the shape variety (improvised few roofs, shrank the chimney etc), added few more minor things... I'm sorry, but I couldn't swap AL and M&G roof pieces. Not that I ignored the advise; it just didn't work well and wasn't worth the cost. I'll also include the roof floorplan to show the shape and that it doesn't look rectangular at all, but I really couldn't afford expanding the structure more to achieve that airy feeling desired. It still looks compact and "busy".

I like your lot. It feels as though they have added to it when they could with what they had re-using the while a great hippie philosophy!
As for the roof there I can't help as I seem to be roof disadvantaged grin I'll bet others will help with that though.
Scottiedoag
Field Researcher
#1325 Old 14th May 2017 at 3:03 AM
Thanks, scottiedoag. I am myself, but sometimes, when someone is so much older than me, I feel too much respect for him to be too much myself . I can be a little annoying miss know-it-all , and that doesn't always seem appropriate in communication with older members who are probably wiser and much more experienced than me.

I'm 28, by the way.
And thanks for the feedback. :lovestruc

Page 53 of 106