Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 4:21 PM Last edited by Echo : 10th Sep 2008 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Added wiki link
Default Tutorial - The "Easy-er" Way To Texturing Objects!
The EASY-ER Way To Texturing!
Level: Easy
A quick and informative tutorial by pacotacoplayer

What will you need:
  • Photoshop (I'm using Adobe Photoshop Elements 6)
  • Object creation experience!

*This tutorial also comes in handy for many other things than pillows - especially clothes texturing*

Description: Okay, so you like to create object meshes, you're meshes are great, but the texture totally just ruins them It's hard for you to create good and realistic textures, and it's making your stuff just plain bad, or you can create decent textures, but you want to make great ones. Well, if this is the case, you've come to the right tutorial Today I'll teach you the easier "shortcut" to texturing realistically

For this tutorial we will be using the followig EXAMPLE:
Texturing a pillow

STEP ONE
Simple, just make a design for your pillow, don't worry about shading, or anything. Just create a design; this is what I've come up with:

I know it looks plain and unrealistic, but we're getting to the best part

STEP TWO
Go to Google images, and type in the texture you want. In this case, we want to type in "pillow"
We want something useful, what you see below is perfect

Now copy and paste this picture onto your photoshop texture.
Then use the Magic Wand tool to delete the background . If you have a more complex background, just use the Lasso tool , or the Eraser, whichever is easier for you.

STEP THREE
This is where the magic happens....
Go to Layer Style > Multiply
You will notice we get a very nice texture. Scale this texture so it fits right. Now we're almost done....see how easy that was?!

STEP FOUR
Now Google "Texture Silk" and copy and paste a good silk texture onto your texture. Scale it down so it's inside of the pillow, like so:

Now click "Multiply" again on this layer, and then go to Eraser. Set Opacity to 80% and clear any visible edges that make the texture look choppy.

Now look at your outcome! WOW

This texture looks good to go! And it was incredibly easy to do! No more solid ugly textures

IMPORTANT TIPS
  • It is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY that BEFORE you select "Multiply" , make sure your google image is in BLACK AND WHITE! Press CTRL+U if it isn't, and set Saturation to -100!, this will make your image black and white.
[*]It's always better to type the keyword "texture" before the name of the texture you want in google, you will get better results. For example , don't just type "silk", type in "texture silk" or "texture wood" etc[/list]
*Try mixing and matching different images to create different effects, here's an example of about 5 different textures "Multiply-ed" to create something new and unique:

That's all!
Any questions just ask here Or click thanks and leave a comment if this worked/helped you!

----------
Tutorials:The "Easy-er" Way To Texturing Objects!wiki

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

I'm currently taking requests until August 12th.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 3:56 AM
I'm printing this Paco,
I think it will come in very handy.
I only have paint shop pro I don't know
if it has the multiply button,but I'll give this a try.
Great tut,thank you so much.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Test Subject
#3 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 4:39 PM
Im using paint.net and it's not letting me do the texture bit... help! :s
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 5:20 PM
I got it to work.
Quote: Originally posted by yoyo101
Im using paint.net and it's not letting me do the texture bit... help! :s

Forget this i managed to get it to work, because im using a free thing thats a bit :s if u no what i mean :D

thanks for the tutorial, i am making a great set of clothes with this method. My first set! (if i can work out how to upload i will :s)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 6:07 PM
If you have a different paint program, like the gimp, try this:

-Set your saturation to 0% so your image bekomes black and white
-Go to Colors -> Color to transparency and choose white as transparent color

Hope it helps

greets,
Mystic Rain

my sims 2 site: MysticRain Sims
Test Subject
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2009 at 12:17 AM
Thanks sooooooo much for this. I can FINALLY make good bedding textures.
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Apr 2009 at 7:54 AM
Wow, great tutorial.
Unfortunately, I couldn't found the multiply layer style. I'm using CS
Test Subject
#8 Old 11th Apr 2009 at 10:29 PM
Can anyone one help me please?
Um...I want to apply this technique to a custom bed. How should I do that??
I generally use gimp, so how do I make the multiply, then silkish pattern on that?
Test Subject
#9 Old 29th Apr 2009 at 4:24 PM
WoW! This is EXACTLY what I needed to learn! Thank you soo much for this awesome and beneficial tut! You, my friend, are soo full of awesomeness! ^-*
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 12:12 AM
THANK YOU! I love this tutorial, I use PDN, but its still basically the same. You rock

"It's not the mesh ... It's not the texture ...It's not me ... I am pretty sure it's you."
Mez Isa Nintendork! Yayz Meez!
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 7:45 AM
Thank-you very much for this tutorial, this has really helped me with textutring my custom made objects :D
Thanks again (:
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 8:47 AM
can you make a tutorial for the GIMP Because i dont have money :-(
Field Researcher
#13 Old 27th Oct 2010 at 10:30 AM Last edited by ac220 : 27th Oct 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Sorry for any necroposting...

Here are Paint.net screenshots, using the same design and pillow textures and a silk I found on the net:

EDIT: Pictures below appear to be out of order (1-3-5-4-2) for some reason so adding links.

1) How to add a layer.
Step01
2) How to open layer properties.
Step02
3) Layer properties. with multiply mode and opacity. Note: Paint.NET uses 0-255 for opacity values, not 0-100,
Step03
4) Conversion to black and white. (note how only one layer is selected.)
Step04
5) Canvas size. (to get rid of huge transparent space P.N made when importing layers) Just set it to the size of the original design.
Step05

Now all you need is to save the texture. If you will chose a format other than P.N native one, P.N would ask if you want to "flatten" the image. Agree. That would merge all layers into a single layer (it's undoable) and then save the image.

Other tools mentioned in the OP (lasso, wand, etc.) are easily findable in the floating toolbar to the left or in Tool: dropdown of the top toolbar.
Screenshots
Instructor
#14 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 10:59 PM
I'm going to experiment with GIMP -- I think you need to add each texture as a layer and make it transparent.