Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:05 PM
Default Duggars expecting 19th child
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...XPXzfQD9AEO2NO1
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ...ggars.new.baby/

Google for about 20,000 other articles on them.

Quote:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — No. 19 caught Michelle Duggar by surprise.

The 42-year-old mom of 18 noticed that she wasn't losing weight — even though she and husband Jim Bob were on Weight Watchers — and her youngest child, 8-month-old Jordyn-Grace, was fussing while nursing. In the past, she found a fussy infant meant a change in breast milk that came with pregnancy.

So she took a pregnancy test. "And lo and behold, I was just pleasantly surprised that this was positive," Duggar said Tuesday. "I was just jumping up and down going, 'Thank you, Lord. Here am I — 42, thinking my baby days are over — and you've blessed us with another one.'"

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar live in Tontitown, Ark., and are featured with their family on TLC's "18 Kids and Counting."

The announcement of the Duggars' 19th child comes as their oldest, 21-year-old Josh, is about to become a father himself. Married last year, Josh and Anna Duggar are expecting their first child, a girl, on Oct. 18.

The grandchild — whom Josh and Anna plan to name Mackynzie — will be about five months older than her future aunt or uncle, due March 18.

Michelle Duggar said her health is fine and the pregnancy is going along just like the others — with a decent bout of morning sickness.

"I am just so grateful that I have good health thus far and I'm just enjoying playing with my kids every day," she said. "I don't take that for granted one bit. I still have a lot of energy left."

They're soliciting name suggestions for the new baby, who will join their family of 10 boys and eight girls. The Duggars' 18 children all have names starting with the letter J and include two sets of twins. Along with Josh and Jordyn-Grace, the family includes: Jana and John-David, 19; Jill, 18; Jessa, 16; Jinger, 15; Joseph, 14; Josiah, 13; Joy-Anna, 11; Jeremiah and Jedidiah, 10; Jason, 9; James, 8; Justin, 6; Jackson, 5; Johannah, 3; and Jennifer, 2.

The Duggars live in a 7,000-square-foot house in northwest Arkansas, where they manage commercial real estate property. They say they'll keep welcoming more children as long as Michelle is able to have them.

Michelle Duggar says they're recognized regularly thanks to the TLC show.

"We feel like it's just an opportunity to encourage families to enjoy their children, enjoy children while they have them and realize that they are a gift from God," she said. "That's our prayer. This is an opportunity to just encourage others to value family and just enjoy the time you have with them."

Let's hope Michelle has twins (she already has two sets; Jana and John-David and Jedidiah and Jeremiah) so we can push her to twenty!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:22 PM
....phoom.

that was the sound of my brain exploding.
i will NEVER understand why someone would want so many children. my mother had enough trouble with three, let alone eighteen.

it boggles me.

but then, the maximum i plan on is two. ¬_¬; because two is my sanity limit.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
....phoom.

that was the sound of my brain exploding.
i will NEVER understand why someone would want so many children. my mother had enough trouble with three, let alone eighteen.

it boggles me.

but then, the maximum i plan on is two. ¬_¬; because two is my sanity limit.

Same here. We have two and my parents thought that was enough. I hated how it reminded me of my parents, but whatever. One boy and one girl or twins — that's good enough for me.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:38 PM
Whatever their religion believes, more power to them... I personally don't agree with anything they do,but ok. That's pretty ridiculous.
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:44 PM
gah. they're adding to overpopulation big time. having that many children is ridiculous. i don't see how anyone could handle it.

and you've never met anyone as closed down as i am sometimes.
Alchemist
#6 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
Same here. We have two and my parents thought that was enough. I hated how it reminded me of my parents, but whatever. One boy and one girl or twins — that's good enough for me.

i definitely want a boy. xD im best with males of any age...
but a girl after ive learned more through experience with the boy, i think, would be nice...

Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:52 PM
i definitely want a boy. xD im best with males of any age...
but a girl after ive learned more through experience with the boy, i think, would be nice...

Yeah, a lot of people think it's ideal to have the boy first and then a girl, so the older one can "protect" the younger one. You've pretty much hit the jackpot!

Quote: Originally posted by twinkymunchkin
gah. they're adding to overpopulation big time. having that many children is ridiculous. i don't see how anyone could handle it.

I wonder how these people would survive in Los Angeles, New York City, or even Chicago or Vegas. Welcome to People's Republic of China, kids!
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:53 PM
I actually like that they are having a lot of kids, from what I see they are christian, and god did say in the bible "multiply and be fruitful", I believe in this theory greatly. I love the thought of a big family, all those who love you are surrounding you, I think god has really blessed them seriously!!!
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:54 PM
Yeah, a lot of people think it's ideal to have the boy first and then a girl, so the older one can "protect" the younger one. You've pretty much hit the jackpot!

well, i dont think of it that way. i have two older brothers, myself, but none of them did jack to protect me. xD if anything, though, they toughened me up.

its just that i understand the different natures of the genders. it would be nice to have a bit of both....variety, i suppose.

Forum Resident
#10 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:08 PM
If they're financially, emotionally and physically able to cope with 19 children, then why not. Obviously all 18 children are not living at home- at least the oldest one sound like he's moved out, and the older children would probably help out with the younger ones.

I go to uni with a woman who has 10 children. The oldest is 23 and the youngest is 3. She started having children when she was 22, and stopped at 44. The two oldest have moved out, leaving her with 8 children at home, and she is a single mother. I think there are a couple of fathers involved. She is American, and the two oldest girls (not sure about the others) are fathered by Americans. They are an absolutely wonderful family, value family relations highly, and her children are well mannered and respectful.

I personally think I would like 4 children, but I wouldn't say that's definite. I'll have to see what my personal circumstances are when I come to having children- maybe I'll end up with 2, maybe 6...
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tenielle
If they're financially, emotionally and physically able to cope with 19 children, then why not. Obviously all 18 children are not living at home- at least the oldest one sound like he's moved out, and the older children would probably help out with the younger ones.

I go to uni with a woman who has 10 children. The oldest is 23 and the youngest is 3. She started having children when she was 22, and stopped at 44. The two oldest have moved out, leaving her with 8 children at home, and she is a single mother. I think there are a couple of fathers involved. She is American, and the two oldest girls (not sure about the others) are fathered by Americans. They are an absolutely wonderful family, value family relations highly, and her children are well mannered and respectful.

I personally think I would like 4 children, but I wouldn't say that's definite. I'll have to see what my personal circumstances are when I come to having children- maybe I'll end up with 2, maybe 6...

Yeah, but the oldest was only able to move out because he married at twenty to a Florida native. Jim Bob has already expressed his concerns and insists that his children stay in Arkansas. Michelle admitted that the older kids watch the younger ones, but she does homeschool the other fifteen (I would think Jana and John are done with high school, being nineteen as they are).

Jana claimed that Jim Bob was strongly against John fulfilling his dream of being a pilot, as it would "take away too much family time". I mean, my sister said, "This family is living in 3 BC."
Scholar
#12 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:14 PM
Someone should create the Duggar family in Sims and see if they can survive.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Alchemist
#13 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
Someone should create the Duggar family in Sims and see if they can survive.

i have yet to see a mod that allows for more than 8 sims to a lot. ):

Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:19 PM

Bingo!

My sister told me the same thing, but I haven't gotten around to it. I imagine it would be similar to the sextuplets challenge or Family Sims "Have 10 Children" want.
Scholar
#15 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:19 PM

Awesome mod allows it... ... ... Tempting.

Alchemist
#16 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:23 PM
Bingo!

My sister told me the same thing, but I haven't gotten around to it. I imagine it would be similar to the sextuplets challenge or Family Sims "Have 10 Children" want.

ha haaa, i meant for the sims 3. xD;
but, i dont want awesomemod. its not that awesome, from what ive read. if i could just get a 8+ mod for TS3 separately, id be a happy suicidia.

Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:24 PM
As I understand it, the Duggars are financially independent/secure, even own their (large) house outright without a mortgage, and all of their kids are happy and well-adjusted. So, more power to them. Congratulations, even.

I would never want that many kids myself (I'm happy with my two), but some people revel in lots of kids. So long as they can support them, I say go for it. I don't understand why some people get so judgmental about how many kids other people have. Well, I can understand if they're on welfare and can't support them and keep popping out babies, yes, but otherwise? It not anyone's business but the couple's.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#18 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
It not anyone's business but the couple's.

i beg to differ...
it stops being private when it becomes public. AKA, when they signed up to be on TV. thats just how america works. :/

Scholar
#19 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 12:00 AM Last edited by Delphy : 2nd Sep 2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Actually, it doesn't violate Rule 8
i beg to differ...
it stops being private when it becomes public. AKA, when they signed up to be on TV. thats just how america works. :/

I think they are crazy, but it's their life and if the children are fine then so be it. My motto is live and let live.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Scholar
#20 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 1:00 AM
I guess it isn't that bad, my grandparents had 14ish kids and god knows how many my moms mom and dad popped out (great family I know). Makes life easier around the house when you got many hands to assist you.

#21 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 1:05 AM
Why dont these people invest in some condoms or birth control before bringing another attention starved child into their home. I really don't care about their religion but they need to get a grip already. This whole "big family attention whoring" crap is getting old.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 1:50 AM
It is pretty tiresome to watch family melodramas from families of 8+ children. The Duggars were just cashing in to make sure they're well prepared to raise the rest of the brood.
Sorry, but I think a term for this kind of child birthing is "Littering". Use the term any way you want.
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RingzTerritory
Why dont these people invest in some condoms or birth control before bringing another attention starved child into their home. I really don't care about their religion but they need to get a grip already. This whole "big family attention whoring" crap is getting old.

Not true. While I agree that I don't want as many children as this family, they are Quiverfull Christians. Quiverfull is a conservative movement amongst a select group of Christians (purely by choice). I'm not a Christian so I don't know about the Bible and all that, but I know that Duggars are big on kids and converted to Quiverfull after Michelle miscarried after their first, Josh, was born.

This is pretty much the only family (well, maybe Jeubs and their fourteen, the families are penpals) who don't care about the fame. They'd been popping the kids out long before Discovery Channel, TLC, or MTV found them. Jon and Kate Gosselin were so pissed off, "It's just not possible to be this happy. They [Duggars] are faking it." to which Jim and Michelle retorted, "It must be so hard having seven under seven. Your needs just become that much more intense. But we'll pray for them." (A bit misleading, the twins are Korean and Caucasian but they'll be nine next month, while the six are five.) As my sister said, "They DON'T milk it. They're just... crazy and huge, but they really DO believe they are right." The news outlets tend to portray them as the new Jon and Kate Gosselin, but twice the size. However, they did register their Arkansas 8,500 square foot house as a church. Even though they lecture and advise some Christians, it's still sort of cheating. Look at their dinner table and living room; it's like White House or schools.

Fourteen, well, this must of been like, what... 1952? Crazy to think they'll hit twenty kids in 2010.
Undead Molten Llama
#24 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:50 AM
i beg to differ...

Large families have existed far longer than there have been TV shows about them. The family that lives across the road from us had 15 kids over the course of about 30 years, none of them multiples. Most of them are grown now. They're ranchers/homesteaders. The kids were homeschooled and all helped to run the ranch from the time they were very small. Their eldest son and his wife have five kids with the 6th on the way and they run the ranch now because his dad is getting on in years. Likely one of their kids will run it after they are too old to do so. And so forth. They are a wonderful family and not "attention-whoring" at all. There are many such families were I live.

Again, if they can support the number of kids they have, it's no one's business but the couple's how many children they have, whether they have a TV show or not.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Large families have existed far longer than there have been TV shows about them. The family that lives across the road from us had 15 kids over the course of about 30 years, none of them multiples. Most of them are grown now. They're ranchers/homesteaders. The kids were homeschooled and all helped to run the ranch from the time they were very small. Their eldest son and his wife have five kids with the 6th on the way and they run the ranch now because his dad is getting on in years. Likely one of their kids will run it after they are too old to do so. And so forth. They are a wonderful family and not "attention-whoring" at all. There are many such families were I live.

Again, if they can support the number of kids they have, it's no one's business but the couple's how many children they have, whether they have a TV show or not.

She's pretty much been pregnant every year or every other year. It's not even as good as, "My mom had her sixth kid when I was nineteen." It doesn't seem like much, but altogether it'd be twelve whole years of a bun in the oven. The oldest is barely a year older than my sister... just turned twenty-one this March 3.

And yeah, it's not our business as to how busy Michelle's womb is, but they sure are entertaining. Let's see if they'll go past twenty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duggar_family
Page 1 of 3