Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 5:54 PM
Default My comuter doesn't want to start
My computer doesn't start as it should. There's a black screen with text on it that says something about it not being turned off the right way and an option to either do a startrepair or to start normally. If I choose startrepair it does something for a while and then says it couldn't fix it automatically. If I start normally it starts sometimes and sometimes I have to try a couple of times.

I had this problem a while ago and it stopped when I uninstalled the last few programs that were installed. But it came back and nothing seems to help. I've removed the last programs, tried startrepair and system restore. I think I also used fault-tolerant design.

I have the Sims 3 University that got uninstalled twice after the system restore. I probably shouldn't have installed it while having problems, but it's only when I start the computer. I just want to know if there's a limit to how many times I can install TS3 Uni, I have the CD, but I prefer to use Origin so I can play without the CD.

If I have to take it to someone who knows what they're doing to get it fixed, would it be worth it to ask about upgrades while at it? It's already quite good, but the Sims 3 is starting to slow down while loading and I had to give up some of the good graphics settings to keep it from crashing.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
System Model: Inspiron 570
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/19/09 14:11:57 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 820 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6142MB RAM
Page File: 3622MB used, 8661MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68F9)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68F9&SUBSYS_010E1028&REV_00
Display Memory: 3828 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB
Shared Memory: 2815 MB
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 6:21 PM
How are you shutting down the computer? Does it go through the normal process of closing programs, playing the chime, showing a screen similar to the login screen etc.? Or does it just cut off suddenly, do you unplug it, or something else?

When you select normal startup and it "doesn't work", what precisely happens?

I can't answer about installing Uni, I'm afraid. I know there's supposed to be a limit of three installs, but I don't know how the limit works or how it's enforced, or if it also applies to Origin downloads.

If you're looking to upgrade, I'd replace that graphics card. You have a strong CPU and a decent amount of RAM, but the graphics card is pretty low-end, and upgrading it could really improve game performance. You would probably have to replace the PSU at the same time. That's not going to fix this startup issue, though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 10:28 PM
I turn off the computer like normal, nothing seems to be wrong or strange when I turn it off. I only forced it to turn off once or twice when it got completely stuck not starting at all.

When the normal start doesn't work it goes back to the black screen with text on it.