Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 9:10 PM
Default Considering Converting to MAC - Tips?
Hi guys,
I need a little help getting a direction to look for in upgrading to a new computer. I'm looking at MACs, specifically, since my dad's reccomendation is for me to stay away from desktops (they tend to die at my hands. frequently).

I'd like a Mac that can run sims 3. It would be nice to have on the go (though maybe not so nice for school, haha). I'm currently able to run Late Night, Generations, Pets & of course the base game. In the new laptop I'd like to be able to play ALL the expansion packs, but would like to at least run the games previously mentioned along with Ambitions, Island Paradise, Seasons, & University Life when it comes out. Any reccomendations?

I'm kind of a noob as far as computer details go, and I've done some research for the basegame but I have no idea how the numbers add up.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 9:21 PM
If you want to avoid a desktop, I would suggest a Windows laptop. A Windows laptop which can play all EPs reliably costs $900+. A Macbook which can play all EPs reliably doesn't exist, and a Macbook which can play all EPs unreliably costs $2000. Maybe you're happy to spend that much - which, in my humble view, would make you a verifiable nutbag - but since you're talking about school, I guess your budget doesn't stretch that far.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 9:58 PM
I actually meant no pcs. Haha. But I'd be willing to save up. You're right about the budget, but I'm willling to save up long term. Either way, if it were a windows computer, what would you reccomend?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 10:34 PM
Ah, so would you consider a desktop Mac rather than a Macbook? That would be a better option if so.

The model I seem to keep on recommending as far as Windows laptops go is the Lenovo Y-580. Any laptop which meets the Game Help:TS3 System Requirementswiki will be fine, however.

btw, I've moved this thread to Computer & Software Help, for obvious reasons.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 1:57 AM
Sorry Rider, I didn't realize there was a computer forum. Hehe, consider me blind?

I would mind doing a desktop, however, getting a desktop kind of defeats the purposes of Macs to me. Granted, I already kind of have an ipad but... the more I think about it, the more I want a computer system I can take with me. Can I ask if you know of any resources that teach you to understand the details listed in the Sytem Requirements?