Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 11:40 AM
Default Is my laptop okay to play Sims?
Hello everyone!

I am going to buy a laptop with these characteristics:

HP 650 - Core i3 2328M / 2.2 GHz - Windows 8 - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - DVD SuperMulti - 15.6" antiriflesso HD largo 1366 x 768 / HD
- Intel HD Graphics 3000

Is it enough to run the Sims 2 and eventually the Sims 3?
I am not sure if the graphic card is one of the GMA 3 series..
Thank you for you help!^-^
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 4:10 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Mar 2013 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Fix typo
There's no graphics card included in those specs. Instead, you have an integrated graphics chip. Here's something that you can read about onboard graphics:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nboard_Graphics

Especially, note that you can destroy your computer if you run a game on an underpowered computer:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...r_is_Like_a_Car

I don't know much about hardware, but we see so many problems with those intel chips that I would definitely recommend that you get a real graphics card. I believe that the i3 is also underpowered and 4G RAM isn't enough, but please wait until someone confirms or denies that.

In general, you can't run the game on a basic laptop. You'll need a gaming laptop. You can expect to spend over $1000 to get something that will work. If you're willing to get a desktop, it would be much easier to find a low-priced computer which will meet your needs. Have you read the system requirements FAQ?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Recommendations

Just remember that mobile graphics cards often have much lower specs than the equivalent desktop card. Often, a mobile card compares to a desktop card two levels down.
Banned
#3 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 4:25 PM
Ufortunately many (if not most) desktops these days also use HD chips. However, it's a lot easier to put a good one in (often laptops can't be upgraded in that way at all.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 5:19 PM
Regarding Sims 3, i3 processors are known to cause problems, and you do ideally need 6-8GB of RAM (or more if you can wrangle it). The processor and RAM would, I expect, be ok for TS2, but you'd still need a graphics card.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 7:26 AM
Thank you for all the replies. I am going to buy a laptop to write my master degree, since my desktop at home is not working very well (it is 9 years old -.-). I can't buy both a new desktop and a laptot in this moment.
I usually don't play for many hours (just a couple, usually) so I thought it was okay, even if I read on the forum that laptop are not designed to play videogames on it, especially The Sims.
How could I upgrade my laptop? Is it possible?
Thanks^-^
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 10:15 AM
Unfortunately, the vast majority of laptops can't be upgraded. Those that can tend to be the very cool, very expensive, gaming laptops - aka, the ones which don't need upgrading anyway.

Short play sessions do make playing sims games on a weak computer less damaging - but you would still be damaging the laptop, and running the risk, albeit relatively small, of it dying completely. Many people decide to keep playing on a crappy laptop they already own, because they're taking steps to reduce that risk, which is an owner's prerogative. I don't see the point in spending money on a new laptop just in order to spend the next year putting up with crappy game performance and hoping it doesn't kick the bucket and take your thesis with it, though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Mar 2013 at 8:38 AM
You are right -.- My laptotp arrived yesterday and I didn't feel to install the Sims 2, I don't want to kill it! Thank you for your help =)