Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 12:15 AM Last edited by jxrr33 : 11th Jan 2014 at 12:32 AM.
Default Which Laptop Should I Use?
Hello Everybody! I hope you have a great new year so far!
Anyway, I am now allowed to use another computer for Sims 3, and I am unsure if it is any better or if I should keep it on my old computer.
Computer 1- Inspiron
Processor- Intel Core i3- 2.53 GHz
Ram- 3.8 (Usable)
System Type- 64-bit
Graphics- Intel Integrated Graphics (I Think It Has 64 mb of ded. video RAM
Windows- 7
Computer 2- Dell Precision
Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU- 2.53 GHz
Ram- 2.0
System Type- 32 bit
Graphics- Quadro FX 2700M- 512 Dedicated Video Memory
Windows- 7
Computer 2 MUST be on a USB

Edit- I only have the university life expansion, some mods, and CC. I do not plan to get a new computer, and I can't afford a new computer, so that is not an option. I also do not plan on getting any more expansion packs.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 12:59 AM
To be honest, it's a toss-up. Neither of them is up to the minimum requirements for the basegame. The first one might have slightly better performance as it has a reasonable CPU and a bit more memory; it's graphics chip is theoretically worse than the card in the other one, but they're both so weak that I don't think it'll make a difference.

So my answer would have to be, use whichever one you don't mind breaking.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 1:30 AM
OK, I'll just stick to the first one. Also, for some reason, from 5 to 5:15 AM in the game, I get horrid lag. Is that when the game resets?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 11:15 AM
Ok. Make sure you backup your files regularly, because I can't predict how long the laptop will last with TS3 being run on it.

I don't know exactly what time various things happen in the game, but there are definitely 'maintenance' type things which occur at the same time every day and cause lots of lag. You should download Overwatch if you don't already have it, from nraas.wikispaces.com - it cleans things up in your save game more efficiently than the EA scripts do.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 6:31 PM Last edited by jxrr33 : 11th Jan 2014 at 7:31 PM.
I have been playing sims 3 and a lot of games below video ram for about 8 months, and when I first borrowed this game from a friend, I turned the graphic's up to high, and then got the BSOD. (Blue Screen Of Death.) My Computer Survived, But It Was Kinda Scary. I will get that mod, It just sucks that they most likely not be updated. Anyway, thank you so much for all your help and time.

Edit: Also, for the overwatch mod, do I just need to install it, or will I need to edit it in the game?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 7:35 PM
The default settings should be mostly ok, I think. It's a good idea to browse through the Overwatch FAQ to see if there are any options you really do or don't want to use.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jan 2014 at 1:32 AM
Ok, I turned off smooth animation and changed high detail lots to 1, and the game is playable! It's alot better than all low quality. I have also read the topics about onboard graphics and your computer is like a car, which provide some help. I would like to thank you for all of your help and quickly replying.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jan 2014 at 2:46 AM
Also, If you would like to help me again:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=518386