Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 8:25 PM
Default 3 teens dead in Amish buggy accident
Google has conflicting results; apparently two teens died and one was injured, but the last one died anyway.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/20771613/detail.html
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...a3QsDwD9AHV8IG3
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x9390...ms-another-life

Quote:
PAINT TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- An Amish buggy crash has claimed the lives of three teenagers in Paint Township in Holmes County.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol said that a pickup truck slammed into their horse-drawn pony cart Thursday night on County Road 200 near Route 657.

Fannie Yoder, 14, and Ivan Yoder, 15, died at the scene. Mary Yoder, 13, died over the weekend at an Akron hospital.

Troopers said the driver, Freeeman R. Weaver, 19, told them he didn't see the buggy because the sun blinded him. He struck the cart from behind.

The crash is under investigation. There is no word on whether any charges will be filed.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 8:31 PM
Why does it seem that Mennonites and the Amish are all named Yoder?

Frankly, I think the buggys are dangerous. So sad though...

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
Why does it seem that Mennonites and the Amish are all named Yoder?

Frankly, I think the buggys are dangerous. So sad though...

I don't pay attention, but I read Amish are so limited that they're forced to marry each other up (ex. brother and sister, cousin and cousin). Diseases and disorders tend to run in families.

Yeah, my dad said they're way too light. I think the thing is basically a big wooden box with wheels.
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 8:43 PM
Buggies have NO business being on a road with motor vehicles, but because of 'religion' the states can't do much about it. We have a large Mennonite community here but they are not allowed to have buggies off of county roads, because the road into town is a very dangerous and narrow highway.

It's really weird to see them in Walmart in their homemade dresses with that little net thing over their hair buns talking on the cell phone.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Scholar
#5 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 9:18 PM
Wait, they talk on cell phones?! Am I missing something here? Aren't the Amish supposed to shun technology?

I think that it is a bad idea for buggies to be on roads with motor vehicles, because horses tend to scare easily, and there will always be bad drivers on the road. There is no protection for the occupants of a buggy, so even if the crash isn't their fault, they will pay for it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
Wait, they talk on cell phones?! Am I missing something here? Aren't the Amish supposed to shun technology?

I think that it is a bad idea for buggies to be on roads with motor vehicles, because horses tend to scare easily, and there will always be bad drivers on the road. There is no protection for the occupants of a buggy, so even if the crash isn't their fault, they will pay for it.

I was wondering the same thing.

I looked it up, and apparently more traditional and elder Amish are known for their avoidance of certain modern technologies. However, Amish do not view technology as evil, and they do petition for acceptance within their local communities. Each group varies, also from region to region. But yeah, I think none have cars or TVs, nor microwave ovens. Maybe not even a washing machine.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 11:14 PM

Mennonites are like Amish Light by my understanding.. They aren't as harsh on tech stuff as amish are..
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 2:10 AM
Yeah, the sect of Mennonites in my area are very progressive. We also have German Baptists which dress just like the Amish and Mennonites. They all have VERY nice cars and I've seen them using riding lawn mowers. I don't get it.

They are sooooooooo nice too. And make the most beautiful things out of wood and wicker.

Field Researcher
#9 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 5:37 AM
It drives me crazy when the buggies are on the roads - especially at night. They don't have lights of course, so they have the reflective triangle on the back that you can barely see. I about slammed into the back of one of them at 55 mph on the highway. It was bad.

Cait

"If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is ‘God is crying’. And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is ‘Probably because of something you did’."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by girlgeek19
It drives me crazy when the buggies are on the roads - especially at night. They don't have lights of course, so they have the reflective triangle on the back that you can barely see. I about slammed into the back of one of them at 55 mph on the highway. It was bad.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have any Amish in California — there was a small group that immigrated in 1910s to check things out around San Francisco, but then they quickly left — so I'm not able to experience that. Knowing LA traffic as it is, I'm sure the Amish would be ticked. I don't know what Illinois is like, but I've seen photos of Pennsylvania and they actually encourage people to bike on the side of the roads. That's almost instant death in my part of Los Angeles.

They're really kind people, though. They even forgave a man for shooting up a dozen at their church.

Also, funny how they call their German dialect "Pennsylvania Dutch". Last time I checked, Dutch and German are two completely different languages.
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 5:57 AM
The "Dutch" is a misrendering of the word Deutsch, the German word for "German."

And yes, the Amish are interesting. And very nice people, too. I used to live not far from Lancaster, PA, the center of the Amish community in Pennsy, would stock up on produce and meats that they grew/raised. The roads in the area had very wide shoulders to accommodate the buggies and keep them relatively safe, and their horses were used to traffic. Huge trucks would zoom by them and they were not fazed in the slightest. The ones they use to pull their buggies are VERY well-trained.

But accidents happen, yes. I would say that they're the fault of the non-Amish equally as much as the Amish, though. I remember one incident where a buggy was hit by a car. The driver of the car was drunk and driving down the shoulder of the road. On the wrong side of the road. The buggy driver couldn't avoid it and all aboard, husband, wife, and five children were killed.

Also, I don't think you'd find many Amish in big cities. They are almost by definition self-reliant and so they pretty much all own fairly large farms, growing and raising food to feed themselves and surplus to sell. That doesn't exactly jive with an urban lifestyle.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 9:02 AM
Those poor kids!I feel so sorry for their families.

Don't be someone's...Down-time,spare-time,part-time,or sometime.
If they can't be there for you all the time,then they're not even worth your time!!!
Alchemist
#13 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 2:14 PM
what happened to the horse? D:

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Field Researcher
#14 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
Unfortunately, we don't seem to have any Amish in California — there was a small group that immigrated in 1910s to check things out around San Francisco, but then they quickly left — so I'm not able to experience that. Knowing LA traffic as it is, I'm sure the Amish would be ticked. I don't know what Illinois is like, but I've seen photos of Pennsylvania and they actually encourage people to bike on the side of the roads. That's almost instant death in my part of Los Angeles.

We don't have a huge Amish population. (Indiana has a large Amish population though.) Just a small community near a little town about 15 minutes from where I live. But they ride their horses and buggies on the same road I take to get to my university. It's a country-ish road so it doesn't have lights or guard rails or anything. So all they have on them to make them seen is that stupid [not] reflective [enough] triangle on the back.

They're really kind people, though. They even forgave a man for shooting up a dozen at their church.

Are you talking about this? I remember hearing about this one when I was in high school.

Cait

"If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is ‘God is crying’. And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is ‘Probably because of something you did’."
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by girlgeek19
We don't have a huge Amish population. (Indiana has a large Amish population though.) Just a small community near a little town about 15 minutes from where I live. But they ride their horses and buggies on the same road I take to get to my university. It's a country-ish road so it doesn't have lights or guard rails or anything. So all they have on them to make them seen is that stupid [not] reflective [enough] triangle on the back.

Are you talking about this? I remember hearing about this one when I was in high school.

I think that's it. Off topic, but I ended up looking at Columbine High School shootings again.

You must of only been a junior or senior in high school when the Amish shooting happened... it was in 2006.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
what happened to the horse? D:

Probably dead. I used to go upnorth every weekend (about 2 1/2 hrs away from my house.. Clare/Farwell Michigan).. There used to be Amish everywhere, and even across the street from my grandmas house. She lived on the lake, and once we went ice skating with some nice amish girls.. They told us to keep their secret because they had stole their brothers jeans to go out on the ice with.. Skirts were cold!! Haha
I did see a buggy accident once on the way home from visiting grandma.. It was... Messy. o.o;
Field Researcher
#17 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 8:14 PM
I think that's it. Off topic, but I ended up looking at Columbine High School shootings again.

You must of only been a junior or senior in high school when the Amish shooting happened... it was in 2006.

I was a senior.

You know, I'm not even asking that they get off the road. I just want them to be easier to see. If you drive your car down the road without your lights on, you get a ticket. Not only because you could hit someone/something, but because you yourself are in danger of not being seen by another motorist. Thusly, I don't get why they can't put at least one light on the back...or paint it a bright color...anything. I don't want to accidentally slam into one of them when I drive home from college on the weekends.

Cait

Typical
#18 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 8:17 PM
because horses tend to scare easily

Horses also leave crap on the roads, which just stays there. Nice stuff, that.
Alchemist
#19 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 5:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Horses also leave crap on the roads, which just stays there. Nice stuff, that.

you think horse crap is bad, just try cleaning out a litter box. >_>
*was seen in strange as oregon because she never regarded cleaning out stalls as anything less than a walk in the park.*

D: i hope the horse was OK, though. no animal deserves death on the behalf of human stupidity.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig