Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#2001 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 9:27 PM
If you want another option for turning hunting cash into food, you can use the money to buy a new fridge rather than ordering groceries. Buying the new fridge gets you a fully loaded fridge, and as I recall, you get to keep any leftovers you have. Personally, my sims usually catch enough fish to feed themselves, so I would probably keep the cash as cash, and just add meat dishes to indicate that we're bringing in meat other than fish.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2002 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 9:35 PM
I love this challenge, I love thinking about this challenge and all the different ways you can play this or add to the challenge. I've just learned I don't have the patience to play this challenge - not without massive amounts of CC, which my computer can't handle. But, I still lurk here on the thread, join in discussions sometimes, and keep generating ideas in my head. So far, I've written up two general ideas that apply to every stage and ideas for the Neanderthal age. I've added the document (as it is now). If there's interest, I can write up the rest of the eras as well.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Test of Time Challenge Variation Ideas.rar (9.4 KB, 37 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#2003 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 7:25 AM
My newest neanderthals don't fish which makes it much more challenging. I think I'll just keep it simple and just buy fish for objects, if they starve they starve lol.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Field Researcher
#2004 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 2:04 PM
Default No More Island... -_-'
So I haven't posted here in a LOONG time- I'm sorry about that!

But the truth of it is, my sims outgrew the island that I took days making for this challenge, and I have no idea what to do! I'm still using my original sims families though, I'll never give up on them!

It just took me a while to realize that there was nothing I could do to redesign my island, and they had to move on.

So, goodbye Sandsteps Isle, I shall miss you! It lasted through many generations and halfway through Roman. Because I'm still using Sims 3 for this challenge (I like the fact that I don't have to download a lot of cc for it), I switched them over to sunlit tides, one family at a time. I removed the modern buildings and popped in my own from the contest- I LOVE the orchard I made that's like a tiny neighborhood nectary (plus it's an additional way to get food, foraging), so I can still use what I've designed.

I'm still sad though, it was all so pretty...

I'll keep you guys posted now that I'm back playing again. Still having problems developing a real mortality rate- with no SoWo in Sims 3 and rare fighting and illness, I need to become more creative!

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Field Researcher
#2005 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by samantha_kathy
I love this challenge, I love thinking about this challenge and all the different ways you can play this or add to the challenge. I've just learned I don't have the patience to play this challenge - not without massive amounts of CC, which my computer can't handle. But, I still lurk here on the thread, join in discussions sometimes, and keep generating ideas in my head. So far, I've written up two general ideas that apply to every stage and ideas for the Neanderthal age. I've added the document (as it is now). If there's interest, I can write up the rest of the eras as well.

You could still do the challenge in the theme of 'rebuilding after an apolocalypse'!

People were talking about it here a while back- set the seasons all to winter or something, but basically act as if your starting families are the only ones that survived and have to rebuild civilization. This way you can use whatever content you already own (all the better if it's mismatched, really), and you can still limit learning etc by having them 'rediscover' things like libraries later, or building a school one they have enough children to do so.

What do you think? (I actually want to play that scenario too... )

Instructor
#2006 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 3:50 PM
Personally I would have just killed sims until they fit Sorry to hear about having to relocate all your sims it sounds tedious.

Post apocalypse or aliens could work for a cc free alternative.

Instructor
#2007 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Frogsnack
You could still do the challenge in the theme of 'rebuilding after an apolocalypse'!

People were talking about it here a while back- set the seasons all to winter or something, but basically act as if your starting families are the only ones that survived and have to rebuild civilization. This way you can use whatever content you already own (all the better if it's mismatched, really), and you can still limit learning etc by having them 'rediscover' things like libraries later, or building a school one they have enough children to do so.

What do you think? (I actually want to play that scenario too... )

Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
Post apocalypse or aliens could work for a cc free alternative.

Ah, but if it's Post-Apocalypse, I need all types of grunge stuff, to make everything look properly apocalyptic....Plus, my neurotic mind won't let me think all knowledge is lost after an apocalypse.

If I were to play aliens - well, it couldn't look human. So, lots of cc again. Yeah, I know, I'm difficult So I'll just enjoy your stories, which are all lovely :lovestruc Oh, and butt into the discussion here of course
Field Researcher
#2008 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 7:53 PM
@samantha_kathy I took a quick look at the document and the ideas seem really nice. There's sadly just not much of use in there for me as I'm about to reach the roman era. Would you mind writing down the ideas you had for the other eras? It's always nice to get inspiration from other players.

I'm currently playing my last neanderthal round and started building my roman hood, but I'm still not sure how my roman society will look. There may be just some households left to play, but I know that my simmies would manage to mess up any plans that I make now. XD So I'll simply wait and see. Moreover, I really need to migrate my sims over to a new 'hood (lots of work *urgh*) as my current one is getting... rather corrupted. But it's kind of funny because I had a toddler 'pronounce his parents dead' and only have generic play/cuddle wishes (instead of with his parents) and made ups affairs are also a recurring trend. o.ô Deira (who is now married to Roran) with her dead boyfriend Yeden, Ivan with his two youngest sisters (they somehow cuddled while sleeping in the same bed?) and Aska with Roran even though I'm nearly 100% sure they never interacted romantically and I don't think it's reciprocal either.

Besides this, I really need to start updating my blog again. >_> Maybe I'll get to it this evening. *fingers crossed*

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Instructor
#2009 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 9:48 PM
@TheFlyingRaccoon I'll try to write it up tomorrow, but will definitly get the Roman Era done this weekend. The rest of the ages might be a bit slower to come - writing my ideas down coherently and understandable for other players turned out to be harder than I thought.
Lab Assistant
#2010 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:36 PM Last edited by LauriMizutani : 4th Jul 2014 at 4:18 AM. Reason: Correct a mistake
Being the kind of sim player that I am, I recently started a Dark Ages hood using Ditzy Ekko's rule variations. Most of the rules are pretty self-explanatory, but I do have a quiestion. What exactly falls under the "no recreational objects" rule? Is it just everything under the "hobbies" tab in buy mode, or is it anything that increases fun (I would assume other than gardening, sewing, etc.)? I'm sure this will come down to personal interpretation, but I was curious about what ideas were out there.
Field Researcher
#2011 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LauriMizutani
Being the kind of sim player that I am, I recently started a Dark Ages hood using Ditzy Ekko's rule variations. Most of the rules are pretty self-explanatory, but I do have a quiestion. What exactly falls under the "no recreational objects" rule? Is it just everything under the "hobbies" tab in buy mode, or is it anything that increases fun (I would assume other than gardening, sewing, etc.)? I'm sure this will come down to personal interpretation, but I was curious about what ideas were out there.

Well- doesn't 'looking out the window' rebuild fun? It's not like you can chase them around and prevent all fun, right? Plus Sims are useless when they just cry all the time.

And sorry, I have no useful ideas now. I think I've played Roman for like, two years. >_>;

Instructor
#2012 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 7:44 AM
I would say recreational objects are from the hobbies tab since the original rules say only the book case from that tab may be purchased.

Lab Assistant
#2013 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
I would say recreational objects are from the hobbies tab since the original rules say only the book case from that tab may be purchased.
For the most part that's what I was thinking myself. However, I was wondering if the toddler skilling toys should also fall under the ban, since they could easily be considered recreational. So far, I've allowed myself the exceptions of the sewing machine and the pottery wheel. I figure they're not exactly "recreational" and the sewing machine is needed for clothes since community lots are forbidden. Any other exceptions (for and against) you think you might consider?
Instructor
#2014 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:54 AM
Well toddlers have limited ways to boost their fun and little kids are going to play and learn stuff so I wouldn't have a problem with using them myself but it's your game. I'm trying not to think that far ahead tbh,

Instructor
#2015 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 4:27 PM
Roman Era ideas added to the document with play variations. I do hope everything is clear - feel free to ask questions if there's something you don't understand and I'll clarify it. It's hard to write down these ideas in such a way that others can follow me

Anyway, I'll start working on writing down the Dark Ages, but I know most of you are in the Roman Era or about to start it, so I figured I'd upload this version now.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Test of Time Challenge Variation Ideas.rar (16.8 KB, 39 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#2016 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 7:58 PM
samantha_kathy, thank you for these detailed variation ideas! I really love them. I had to restart my challenge recently. The 5th gen was already in reach and now I'm back with a founders generation. I already implemented several changes this time, like creating pretty random sims and letting them figure out their couples themselves (ACR). Ice Age might actually be a nice change for the 2nd or 3rd gen.
And the Roman variations are especially great. I was actually thinking about skipping the Roman era this time around, as it does not really fit my concept. However, the slow development with different forms of ruling might work. Ah, now I'm looking forward to playing again. :D
Field Researcher
#2017 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:32 PM
Your ideas are great, samantha. Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Instructor
#2018 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 2:37 PM
@Yukishine I'm glad you like the ideas. It's fun to think them up. I think playing the Roman Era with just the base rules would get a bit boring, but throw in some variations and you get really cool storylines. I tried to make all variations in such a way that you can use only some of them or all of them together.

@TheFlyingRaccoon Thank you! It's fun writing them up.
Inventor
#2019 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 5:30 PM
*sigh* i now have the urge to abandon my current version (which is getting kinda boring) and restart without my aging mod and ridiculous odds on triplets and quads. and i want to adopt a few of samantha kathy's variations. And maybe it won't take me for-freaking-ever to get done with a generation. my first version was a lot more fun without slightly stretched out lives and an overabundance of babies. well i'm off to create some new sims. and search out some new names. and maybe i'll actually make it out of the neanderthal age some day ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Field Researcher
#2020 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VioletPadfoot
*sigh* i now have the urge to abandon my current version (which is getting kinda boring) and restart without my aging mod and ridiculous odds on triplets and quads. and i want to adopt a few of samantha kathy's variations. And maybe it won't take me for-freaking-ever to get done with a generation. my first version was a lot more fun without slightly stretched out lives and an overabundance of babies. well i'm off to create some new sims. and search out some new names. and maybe i'll actually make it out of the neanderthal age some day ~VP

But you restart a lot, right? I thought you just had to a while back.

I found a great site for names (especially in the roman stage, because so many names go back that far). If you research according to parts of the world, you get names closer to the time period you're playing. http://www.behindthename.com/

Field Researcher
#2021 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 2:49 AM Last edited by Frogsnack : 8th Jul 2014 at 3:01 AM.
Default Of Coves and Covales
Welp a lot just happened.

I guess I don't make my sims cheat on each other a lot, otherwise I may have been better prepared...

The two bachelor boys Cemre and Stuart Cove (fourth and fifth in line to be emperor not counting their nephews) were living together while going to university. They had a household slave in Vitus Fahadeena, and after a campaign abroad obtained a live-in Plebian, Adelade Park (CAS sim) there were four people living in the house.

Adelade is from Iceland and is very unusual looking, and was getting invited to a lot of parties (she also had a friendly nature), but eventually Cemre won her heart. Well right after Vitus became pregnant with Stuart's child, Stuart got a cold and died. Cemre and Adelade were recently married (changed last names to Covale), and both couples lived in the same house. After Stuart died and her son Acacius was born, Vitus sought comfort in Cemre, who was happy to give her attention as his own wife was pregnant now too.

Well Adelade decided to slap her husband around, and right after her son, Adonis was born, they got into a knock-down drag out fight that she lost.

This all happened while everyone else started to get Stuart's cold (literally every adult in the house). I realized that the germs in this game hit everyone in a house at a time, so I began rolling dice and giving everyone a 67% survival rate if they were in the same house (if that is too high I'll just have the next time they get sick be a pandemic and end them).

So now it's only Cemre and Vitus in the house, who are both going to get over their colds, and the two children. When they have a baby the circle will be complete and the family tree royally messed up.

Also, there's a fun ghost type in Sims 3 (came with Supernatural), where a sim can die if they eat the wrong magic jelly bean. So that's what I had Stewart do, so every time someone dies of disease they will have a purple ghost with beans floating in it(looking germy).

Other pics to follow.

Inventor
#2022 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 2:41 PM
But you restart a lot, right? I thought you just had to a while back.
This would actually be my second restart. The first restart was due to computer death with no recent backup. This one is a choice, due to annoyance with mods. My extended lifespan mod is driving me nuts as well as how high I had triplets and quads set. And since I don't really have a connection with any of these sims, they can sit on my external hard drive for a while and maybe someday I'll play them again. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Field Researcher
#2023 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 2:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
I'm currently playing my last neanderthal round and started building my roman hood, but I'm still not sure how my roman society will look. There may be just some households left to play, but I know that my simmies would manage to mess up any plans that I make now. XD So I'll simply wait and see. Moreover, I really need to migrate my sims over to a new 'hood (lots of work *urgh*) as my current one is getting... rather corrupted. But it's kind of funny because I had a toddler 'pronounce his parents dead' and only have generic play/cuddle wishes (instead of with his parents) and made ups affairs are also a recurring trend. o.ô Deira (who is now married to Roran) with her dead boyfriend Yeden, Ivan with his two youngest sisters (they somehow cuddled while sleeping in the same bed?) and Aska with Roran even though I'm nearly 100% sure they never interacted romantically and I don't think it's reciprocal either.

Sounds like the kind of town to keep playing, lol.

Too bad about the corruption, though. Are you redesigning all the houses, or just letting them evolve through the generations when your simmies start making more money? The starting gen bonus was pretty helpful for that.

@ VP- let us know how the restart goes, then! (Or you could always roll dice and kill one of each twin. ^_^, for the whole... town.

@ Samantha- I agree- your ideas were really well thought out, I enjoyed reading through it! LOooking forward to seeing your other ideas, but it sounds like you'd be great at starting new challenges, too.

Field Researcher
#2024 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 1:16 PM
Sounds like the kind of town to keep playing, lol.

Too bad about the corruption, though. Are you redesigning all the houses, or just letting them evolve through the generations when your simmies start making more money? The starting gen bonus was pretty helpful for that.

Yes, it's quite amusing to play. The newest thing is animations that don't work like they're supposed to. I had sims standing inside the house, tending the plants in the garden somwhere behind the house. Or Ion washing his little one in the sink while he is floating in midair behind him (see attached picture). I know those things can happen in a none corrupted hood, but not several times in a play session. Let's just say that I keep my fingers crossed that I can finish this round without any major trouble.

As I'm going to start a new hood, I'm building completely new (and roman) houses for my families. But letting them evolve through the generations seem like a pretty neat idea. May keep that in mind for future transitions.
Screenshots

Instructor
#2025 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 2:23 PM
I'm glad everyone is enjoying my variations and ideas. I wouldn't be very good at coming up with a challenge from scratch, but there are plenty of challenges I see that I could "make better" - as in, add my own ideas to it. This one is so much fun, I couldn't help myself from writing them down. Working on the dark ages and the middle ages/renaissance, since they kind of go togehter.
Page 81 of 128