Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 11:54 AM
Default How to start modding? I'd really appreciate any help!
Hello guys, I want to keep this short:

So, right now I am in the "lucky" position of being "self-employed" which gives me plenty of free-time for the next 1-2 years (of course everything can change) and the opportunity to become productive during this time. This is the reson why I'd like to start to learn about modding a little bit.

My knowledge about deskopts is mediocre at best, when it comes to coding or anything related it's even worse. But hey, I am not stupid and I am pretty ambitious when I have a goal to work for!!

Now, I have spent the last hour today to google how to start with this project as a beginner and I have not found anything useful to this point. I have read the game is coded in C (+) language (? I have no idea about that, so I could be totally wrong) and the scripting language is called Python ( I guess?).

My aim would be (maybe in a couple of years) to code a mod which would allow me to load any amount of sims for any lot in the game (before visiting).

Example: I want to visit the gym. A window pops up (map menu) where I can either choose (10,20,30,40,50 and so on) or enter how many sims I want the game to load when I visit it.

Later my dream mod would include some "scripted" events, maybe certain npc behaviors, a special "logic" if you want to call it so etc. for creating certain scenarios. <-- But I have a feeling that this is somewhat complicated I guess, so I don't know if it's possible.

Do I need to know C (+) for this? Or is Python enough? How to start best? Are there any websites, tutorials for beginners? Right now, I am missing a good point, a place where and how to start this and, to be honest, I also feel kind of overwhelmed.

Thank you for reading.
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 12:09 PM
At the top of each MTS page there's a dropdown menu bar. The second from the left says "Create" and there you should find most basics for getting started:

Also the forums there are the best place to ask questions and get info on tutorials and resources. Discussions, where you posted, will probably not be the most helpful place with your quest.

The affiliated simswiki.info is also a good place to go: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_4:Modding
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 12:11 PM
Thank you!!

Can I move my thread somehow?

YAS! This is exactly what I have been looking for! Man, I feel so stupid now ((

Alright, I will start reading this, but can somebody answer me if I will need to learn C+ as well? Or will Python be enough?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 12:20 PM
Well, I can move this into TS4 Modding Discussions and leave a link, so both the people there and those here can find your thread.

Hm, I think, I'll do this right now.

Moved.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 12:22 PM
Yes, thanks again!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 12:51 PM
To get started, you should read the Maxis documentation on CC -- see the link in the sticky. They also have a very useful index posted in their forum, of all the information they have posted over time; link is also in the sticky ("Maxis Info Index").

Then you probably want to look into XML tuning and scripting; a quick walkthrough on the former is posted in Tutorials, some info posts on scripting are also in Tutorials as well as in this forum. When people upload script mods, they often include the source -- that's also worthwhile to check out since one can learn a lot from how existing mods work (check out scumbumbo's uploads for example).

When you get stuck with something, post in this forum with your existing code (you can use [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] tags to make your post less than 1km long) and hopefully someone will be able to help you along.

Have fun!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 4:26 PM
Ooh, alright, Thanks a lot <3. This was very helpful.