Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 2:41 AM
Default What do you wanna see a Sims spinoff of?
Since we have the Sims medieval, I think it'd be nice to have more than that. What would you like to see?

Personally I'm all in on Sims Fantasy where you can live a fantasy life (You can choose sci fi (like Star wars, phantasy star, and star trek) or a typical fantasy setting) and Sims school where you can create your own school drama sims style. Honorably, I'd love, love LOVE a Sims Asia.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 3:55 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 28th Feb 2019 at 8:42 PM.
I’ve always wanted something else in the vain of Pet Stories. It’s the perfect Sims spin off title for PC.

Story based, but focused on Sim mechanics.
Laptop focused, so lighter but focused content.
Fun additions from each of the expansions.

They can do most anything with this blueprint, really. I can see a deluxe Sims 4 spin off based around luxury and night life with key content from Get To Work, Get Together, City Living, and Get Famous, with additional minor features from Spa Day, Dine Out, Perfect Patio Stuff, and Vintage Glamour Stuff.

Similar to Pet Stories, it tells the stories of two very different Sims: One, being a rising starlet who seeks to make a name for herself as an actress, while struggling with love and making a name for herself. Another is a family man who seeks to maintain and grow his local restaurant to be the best restaurant in town while struggling to maintain his difficult family.

The basic mechanics from each of the packs would include:
- Shopping & Retail, Photography (Get To Work)
- Nightclubs Activities, Coffeeshops, Groups (Get Together)
- Apartment Living, Penthouses, Karaoke (City Living)
- Fame, Acting Career (Get Famous)
- Spas & Spa Activities (Spa Day)
- Restaurant Ownership, Dining Out (Dine Out)
- Hot Tubs (Perfect Patio)
- Butlers (Vintage Glamour)

The town is similar to Bridgeport, but divided between two different towns - suburbs and downtown. The suburbs are forestry, and tucked away in the hills. There are a few lavish mansions that overlook the city, private modern homes, and middle class housing.

The downtown area is more closely packed, while remaining heavily commercial with a various businesses based on different districts based on low, mid, and high wealth). There are low rise condos to rent, low end slummy apartments, and penthouses (in their respect wealth districts).

The style is very urban, grunge and and modern, which applies of both Sims and Build/Buy mode.

New content would include a retail system overhaul to accommodate owning & managing different venues.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 12:34 AM
I rather have a good new sims game that is very customisable without having to use mods (world building tool, careers, transportation, some form of CASt ofc, etc), so that I can create my own spinoffs within that game. Unending replayability. I would not mind buying heavily themed objects for that game. If they are made well enough, I would happily pay money for those. Also for actual expansion packs that expand on features (not just new career, a skill and some objects) and will integrate those features well with the base game.

I know this is a big ask :/ But I bought Sims Medieval and ended up missing all the customisation from TS3 that I really wanted to use in TSM. So for myself I don't really see the point in spin offs that are more limited then the game its based on.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 1:17 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 23rd Feb 2019 at 2:57 AM.
Strangerville could have been interesting as an episodic spin-off sims title. Think of something similar to a Stories/Telltale game, with more defined characters than in TS4, a storyline episodically updated by 'chapter' and a more focused and scripted scope (removing all the extraneous elements of TS4).

Maybe it could directly read TS4 files to grab assets, and you could import/export your character between each game.

It could be a very interesting on-going series, but instead we have this instead injected in the main franchise as a one-off...
Forum Resident
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 7:13 AM Last edited by Element : 24th Feb 2019 at 2:22 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Strangerville could have been interesting as an episodic spin-off sims title. Think of something similar to a Stories/Telltale game, with more defined characters than in TS4, a storyline episodically updated by 'chapter' and a more focused and scripted scope (removing all the extraneous elements of TS4).

Maybe it could directly read TS4 files to grab assets, and you could import/export your character between each game.

It could be a very interesting on-going series, but instead we have this instead injected in the main franchise as a one-off...

I am skeptical of more story-driven Sims game. I think the best part of a Sims game is the drama that manifests from the mechanics of the game (e.g. marrying a Romance Sim and a Family Sim, or failing having a Sim flunk out of college and getting another Fear slot). IMO, games like Life Stories, Castaway Stories, and Medieval were weaker because they were scripted. OK on the first run, sure, but they definitely didn't have the replayablity of the core franchise.

I really only dabbled with Medieval for a significant time, but the scripted scenarios it set out for me were never challenging. I felt like I was meant to click on locations for text pop-ups while I played a stripped-down TS3. Compare that to dealing with a broke-ass Fortune Sim who's depressed with twins on the way. You have to write the story as you go! Hopefully it'll go well, but it's almost more interesting when it all falls apart, or when decisions you make have repercussions for generations.

That all said, I think a Sims with a unique spin on setting could be very refreshing and interesting. If the Sims Medieval went less storybook and more "The Sims w/o Electricity", it could have been more fun, challenging, and ripe for interesting stories.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 4:51 PM
Medieval would have been fine If it was sandbox style (heck, maybe ran after the end of TS3 since the day development has started of this spin-off) and more expansions were produced. It would have been game-breaking in charts possibly and one of best kind spin-offs.

Basically, less stripped + not story driven + had it's own content.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 6:39 AM
I really liked Medieval in many ways, but hated that you had to start over each time.
Instructor
#8 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 8:18 AM
I wish that they had given Medieval more of a fair shake. I see so many of its objects and armors converted for other games and absolutely no credit is given, no recognition received. It makes me very sad for I am genuinely fond of TSM.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Theorist
#9 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 10:14 AM
Well, the top item on that list would be "an actual Sims game that's set in Medieval times that isn't just a very basic RPG focused on fetch-quest and text-based cyoa segments"

You know? A game where you can play the members of a noble family through the generations, build and expand their castle (the castle could be slpit into several lots if they're worried about performance, it'd work pretty well with castle architecture, let alone that most real world Medieval castles were pretty small and not nearly as gigantic and elaborate as fantasy castles or vanity project like Neuschwanstein. Considering how popular Medieval play is I think this could spin off into a whole series with its own expansions.Just no Rabbit Holes, Fetch Quests or CYOA crap, please.
This would work well with the Sims 3-4 system where you focus on one household (one noble family) while the rest of the families develop in their own way.

Another one I'd like to see would be a post-apocalyptic spin off where you play the members of a small community/tribe struggling to survive in the ruins of civilization. Not necessary gritty, nasty, grey-brown Fallout Posta Apocalypse or anything close to how horrifying such a situation would be in real life, but 1980s style whimsical Post-Apocalypse, where it's pretty much just standard fantasy painted in an exciting new colour, with blue-skinned mutants casting magic via "psionic powers" and stuff like that.
This ould probably work better with a Sims 2 system, at least within your own community, where your are in control of your families...maybe if the tribes don't get too big they'd could treat the whole settlement as the same, active lot and the whole tribe as the same, active household?

I'd also like to see Sims struggling to survive on a space station or a newly colonize, hostile planet, such as Mars.
Would be pretty interesting to find a place to settle your Sims and then build a community that slowly expands and becomes larger.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 2:17 PM
Since the franchise is slowly turning into something more and more linear and story based, I’d like to see a spin off that focuses on sandbox, creativity, options & tools for players, characters with unique personalities and memories, emotions based on interactions with other sims, consequences, a game that allows me to tell my own story. I’d love a spin off like that.
Scholar
#11 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 3:35 PM
@memy9909

I'm really feeling your user image. Seriously though, I would like the idea of a fantasy style of game, especially if it featured RPG elements. Since you mentioned Phantasy Star, I'm picturing the original Phantasy Star Online but in a Sims style where you create your world and everything in it. You would be able to build all of the locations, create the enemies and NPCs, create your own story, and there would be a crafting system that lets you create your own equipment and items as well. I would have a system where you could change the looks of your equipment, but keep the stats of your best gear (games like Diablo 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles X come to mind with similar features) just to add more customization. Seeing as how the open world concept of Sims 3 can really be a mess at times, I would structure the different areas in a similar way to PSO too (at least the original PSO anyway) as I'm sure it would provide easier optimization for the game performance. I would have it so it wasn't just a PSO style RPG, I would have it where you also can live out a life like in the main Sims games. Your needs would play a factor in the RPG aspects too, as obviously you aren't exploring anything if you are too tired or hungry. Your needs could also have an impact on your fighting and exploration abilities, for example if your energy level is really low you might not be as efficient and could be more vulnerable to attacks. I could probably go on and on about ideas for something like this, but I better stop here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Medieval would have been fine If it was sandbox style (heck, maybe ran after the end of TS3 since the day development has started of this spin-off) and more expansions were produced. It would have been game-breaking in charts possibly and one of best kind spin-offs.

Basically, less stripped + not story driven + had it's own content.

I don't get why story driven spinoffs are so popular around here. To each their own but as Tidus from FInal Fantasy X puts it "This is MY story!". The ideas I listed of encourages you to make your own scifi/fantasy/school/Asian drama. It's literally the Sims 4 but everything is in those settings.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by haywud
@memy9909

I'm really feeling your user image. Seriously though, I would like the idea of a fantasy style of game, especially if it featured RPG elements. Since you mentioned Phantasy Star, I'm picturing the original Phantasy Star Online but in a Sims style where you create your world and everything in it. You would be able to build all of the locations, create the enemies and NPCs, create your own story, and there would be a crafting system that lets you create your own equipment and items as well. I would have a system where you could change the looks of your equipment, but keep the stats of your best gear (games like Diablo 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles X come to mind with similar features) just to add more customization. Seeing as how the open world concept of Sims 3 can really be a mess at times, I would structure the different areas in a similar way to PSO too (at least the original PSO anyway) as I'm sure it would provide easier optimization for the game performance. I would have it so it wasn't just a PSO style RPG, I would have it where you also can live out a life like in the main Sims games. Your needs would play a factor in the RPG aspects too, as obviously you aren't exploring anything if you are too tired or hungry. Your needs could also have an impact on your fighting and exploration abilities, for example if your energy level is really low you might not be as efficient and could be more vulnerable to attacks. I could probably go on and on about ideas for something like this, but I better stop here.

Thatd actually be pretty fun. Though itd turn into a Crpg
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 3:44 PM
how about Sims North Korea? The only food you can have is cabbage soup, except for once a year on Kim Il-sung's birthday when you get rice. Sims with the "Bad Songbun" trait are barred from the more prestigious careers, can rise no higher than rank 3 in the rest, and are forbidden from living in or even visiting the urban neighborhood. It'd add a real "hard mode" to the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 4:06 PM
Sorry for reviving this thread but i came up with another spinoff idea. If a collaboration is so big why not make a separate sims game (or just an expansion) of it? You can play another franchise as if it was a Sims game. Personally I want a sims styled Final Fantasy life. Though communications would be hard. The most plausible would have to be Sims Fallout where you play through a typical Fallout (by Bethesda) story in a Sims style. Design your own vaults, gather equipment and weapons to get stronger, heck, you can use V.A.T.S, and combat like Fallout 2 since The Sims has a CRPG styled camera afterall.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 4:56 PM
The Sims: Boomer Stories. Get a cheap diploma and a minimum-wage job at your local McDonalds in 1974, use it to buy a house in the suburbs, have loads of casual sex and weed and then later claim you never did either, have kids, get an actually good job so you can ruin the economy for them, then drive off into the sunset in your Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser or fucking whatever and die in peace as the world around you begins to burn to a crisp. It's the perfect Sim story for a perfect Sim world.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#17 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
The Sims: Boomer Stories. Get a cheap diploma and a minimum-wage job at your local McDonalds in 1974, use it to buy a house in the suburbs, have loads of casual sex and weed and then later claim you never did either, have kids, get an actually good job so you can ruin the economy for them, then drive off into the sunset in your Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser or fucking whatever and die in peace as the world around you begins to burn to a crisp. It's the perfect Sim story for a perfect Sim world.

That's what the USA is apparently going to be like, a dustbowl if your Presidents have anything to do with it, so I expect the Mexicans will be grateful for the Wall to help keep out the refugees, so I advocate a Yellowstone volcano scenario apocalypse. It'll give you all a taste of what the rest of the world put up with in the 1940's and 50's, '60s. What was it like to have a nuclear war fear all the time with only 4 minutes to get into a makeshift bunker, Berlin Wall, spies, student riots everywhere, race riots in the USA, economic collapses...........
Mad Poster
#18 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 7:20 PM
Oh dear god no I'm not American. I just think The Sims should commit to its mid-century Americana fantasy. The happy little perfect fantasy world where everyone can afford a family home and a big TV after working 3 weeks at the local shithouse isn't really doing it. I don't know if it needs a rethink or not, but having it all be easy and painless doesn't seem like much of a challenge. The franchise is still so focused on white picket fences and mortgages that everytime it tries something else, it just doesn't work at all. I want my Sims to be able to live in a 7th floor flat in some lousy German suburb with a crime rate and a gradually decaying bus service. Trust me, it's better on the inside.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#19 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 7:56 PM
I know right. Thank god you're not American.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
#20 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Oh dear god no I'm not American. I just think The Sims should commit to its mid-century Americana fantasy. The happy little perfect fantasy world where everyone can afford a family home and a big TV after working 3 weeks at the local shithouse isn't really doing it. I don't know if it needs a rethink or not, but having it all be easy and painless doesn't seem like much of a challenge. The franchise is still so focused on white picket fences and mortgages that everytime it tries something else, it just doesn't work at all. I want my Sims to be able to live in a 7th floor flat in some lousy German suburb with a crime rate and a gradually decaying bus service. Trust me, it's better on the inside.

Yes, I should also have mentioned the grotty architecture they put up in Europe and UK after the war! The trouble is that no Simmers would want to design such monstrosities. Most of the Gallery builds are over decorated fantasy homes. I would love the option of asteroids bulldozing them though.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 9:00 PM
I know people love their reality TV nonsense but isn't it shallow? Everything being perfect and quaint is just boring as absolute hell to me. I personally love seeing different places with different vibes and styles. Not everything should get to be pretty and desireable. Of course I also wouldn't be terribly interested in playing in post-nuclear Pripyat or something but it'd be much more believable than EA's perfect little theme park worlds. Hell, I'd rather play in pre-nuclear Pripyat. Concrete-heavy architecture only gets a bad rep because of how dirty it gets. Oasis Landing has always had the right sort of vibe to me. It's still utopian as hell but it's got a nice, practical vibe to it. It's extremely artificial, I think that's a lot better than most other EA worlds which look more like bad attempts at being authentic.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#22 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 10:21 PM
They could definitely do a spin off of all the playable careers and businesses, and paintings, and all the collections. Sort of like teaching games where you get to collect stuff, explore, build and mix, and learn stuff along with your playable sim. You could learn to run a restaurant, or a shop, a museum, or chemistry and farming and biology or space exploration. They could create an entire series of CSI Sims where you get to solve a new crime with every new EP, or pack or whatever. If they make them interesting I might consider playing them. However, what I would really really like is a more sandbox experience from the sims and the possibility to import all the spin offs items into the sandbox game.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 18th Sep 2019 at 12:12 AM
I want to see Sim Ant.
Again.
Screenshots

Sims are better than us.
Instructor
#24 Old 18th Sep 2019 at 10:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I want to see Sim Ant.
Again.

I've got that! Somewhere in a dark cupboard.....
Mad Poster
#25 Old 18th Sep 2019 at 11:12 AM
I want that obscure golf game Will Wright and Sid Meier somehow both put their names on. What was it called again? Sid Meier's SimGolf? How terribly original. It was made by both Maxis and Firaxis. EA must've looked at SimCity, The Sims, Civilization, Railroad Tycoon and Alpha Centauri and thought "nah, there's nothing here, we'll have them do a golfing simulator".

insert signature here
Page 1 of 2