Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2020 at 7:37 PM Last edited by Nopke : 21st Mar 2020 at 6:50 PM.
Default Update of install instructions/CG for The Sims 2 downloads
  1. Install instructions for The Sims 2 downloads are outdated. The default UC savegame path is different than non-UC one. The 3rd point of the default install instructions should look somewhat like this:
    Quote:
    Place in Downloads Folder: Cut and paste the .package file(s) into your Downloads folder:
    • Origin (Ultimate Collection): Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Downloads\
    • Non-Origin, Windows Vista/7/8/10: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
    • Non-Origin, Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
    • Mac: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
    If you don't have a Downloads folder, just make one. See instructions at: Game Help: No Downloads Folder.
  2. You cannot create custom instructions without the first two points about extracting .package files. Some mods don't use any .package files, e.g. camera mods. “In addition to the normal installation instructions, this download also has a custom instruction, as follows: […]” – sometimes custom instructions aren't an addition to the normal instructions (mods that must be placed in specific folders), it's confusing.
  3. The 4th point of the default install instructions (Place in Program Files\…\Res\Catalog\Bins) is okay for bodyshop, build mode, buy mode and neighborhood stuff, but it is not for mods. Of course, many *.package mods can work both in the Downloads folder and in the Bins folder. Many but not all, and it is not a good location for mods.
  4. I have no idea what is the Panties version of install instructions. Is there a way to see the contents of all premade install instructions?
  5. WinRAR is not freeware. I could recommend 7-Zip instead.
  6. Creator Guidelines for sims are also slightly outdated. Since 2017, creators can use custom sliders. In contrast to TS3 or TS4, players who download a Sim created using custom sliders, do not need them to display or edit that Sim properly. However, including sliders in credits lets the players discover custom sliders, and it's nice for the creators of sliders.
Advertisement
Space Pony
Original Poster
#2 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 6:51 PM
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 8:19 PM
Sims 2 has standard or custom install, it is not divided by category as almost all cc can just be placed in downloads folder.  If there is cc uploaded that is installed elsewhere, then the user will choose custom install upon uploading.  I'm unsure if the location for MAC is still correct, but am not changing it unless a current MAC user pipes in with alternative install instructions.

While I don't agree with mods not going in program files, they work fine there, I did remove that section because if something should go somewhere besides the downloads folder the uploader should be choosing custom install instructions.

Slider usage and crediting is an ongoing discussion right now. We have tested that sliders are not required for sims to work and we are working towards a solution regarding linking.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 11:31 PM Last edited by Nopke : 21st Mar 2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Mac path
@HugeLunatic I couldn't see your post in the normal view, I had to switch to the print view… Nevermind. Edit: It became visible after I sent this post…
Quote:
I'm unsure if the location for MAC is still correct, but am not changing it unless a current MAC user pipes in with alternative install instructions.
It's surely wrong. Criquette has told me that the right path is "Users/(Current User Account)/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads". If the Downloads folder does not exist, it should be created, but you need admin rights to do it. The game path is "Applications/The Sims 2.app/Contents/Home/TSData/Res/Catalog".
Quote:
[…] I don't agree with mods not going in program files, they work fine there […]
They usually do work, as I wrote. But not all of them.
Quote:
I did remove that section because if something should go somewhere besides the downloads folder the uploader should be choosing custom install instructions.
It remained untouched. And the text preceding custom instructions is confusing (see the point 2).
Quote:
Slider usage and crediting is an ongoing discussion right now. We have tested that sliders are not required for sims to work and we are working towards a solution regarding linking.
Okay. Thank you.

What about the other points?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 27th Mar 2020 at 11:00 AM
I will do a bit more research on the MAC install, because the only thing I know is the new super collection on a newer OS is different now.  So most likely I will need to add two locations.

The text for install instructions are cached, like everything else on site, so it's not an immediate fix.  The custom instructions are working as written, as you've seen in my latest upload.  #3 was written by me in the upload, and I only put the UC path.  But I understand the text about  "additional install instructions", and I will ask Tashiketh to fix that bit.

Panties are humor, I'm sorry if you missed that. WinRAR point is a non issue as I've removed reference to a specific archiver.

I think I covered everything?  Let me know otherwise!