Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 2:26 PM Last edited by a-wenzel : 7th Sep 2009 at 2:47 PM.
Default Milkshape error unable to open s3asc file HELP!
Well this is my first attempt at meshing anything, so I tried meshing a two story column cloned from fresh-prince. I think it may have been a bit complicated for a first mesh as I am now running in to an error that I have no idea how to deal with.

So here are some screenshots of my lovely objects-to-be (hopefully maybe someday...):

And here is what happens when I try to export it back to the same file it came from:

and ERROR

Well, I've refreshed the page a couple of times and on my computer at least, not all of my photos are showing up, so if you can't see it, it says ERR: Unable to open s3asc file: S3_01d10f3_00000000_99b6d2dfdf52b6bd_group00.s3asc".

This is just frustrating because I've spent three days making it .

However, there was an error that only popped up once before this one occurred that said that a certain bone was missing? Which confuses me because columns aren't animated... Maybe this has something to do with it?

Also, if it would be helpful, is there an error log I can post? I can't seem to find one.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 4:08 PM
The decompiler would have made a file "S3_01d10f3_00000000_99b6d2dfdf52b6bd_group00.s3asc". If the recompiler cannot find it, then it was moved, deleted or renamed.
Have you tried looking for this file and putting it back?

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 5:25 PM
I didn't rename, delete, or move anything, but upon further inspection, the file S3_01d10f3_00000000_99b6d2dfdf52b6bd_group00.s3asc doesn't exist, but one called S3_01d10f3_00000000_99b6d2dfdf52b6bd_group01.s3asc does... I'll try renaming it and see what happens. If not, I'll try to decompile again and find it that way.

Edit:
Well... That didn't work. but by playing around with it I found that my problem stems from something different. I received the error "ERR: Defined bone [0] "0xCD68F001" not located in model." Upon receiving that error I figured out why I was getting the problem above. It made the file S3_01d10f3_00000000_99b6d2dfdf52b6bd_group00.s3asc into a backup file of some sort, therefore renaming it. So I guess now I need to figure out a solution to this missing bone.

I didn't think objects that didn't move had to have bones...

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Alchemist
#4 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 6:32 PM
Yes, any error would make the output incorrect, but, as you noted, the plugin renames the old file into a .bak file. Because of the error, it never finished making the new file. For some errors, it may have made an incomplete file, in either case, you can't rebuild the MLOD from a broken mesh export.

The bone error message indicates that the joint was removed from the mesh, but it was in the original. That is easy enough to do, if you have the joint display enabled, they are easily selectable, and could be deleted when you were deleting something else.

If you want to salvage your existing work, just create a new joint. Stick it at the origin, name it 0xCD68F001 and assign all the vertices in the mesh to it. The assignments and the joints they refer to are the only thing that the exporter pays any attention to, the location is ignored (it is important, but not in the MilkShape file).

I would recommend that you get in the habit of saving your work as the native .ms3d files. Those are the files that get made when you just use "Save" or "Save As" from the main menu. That way, you can recover all of your hard work making meshing changes if something goes awry.

<* Wes *>

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 7:10 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! It worked. *knock on wood*
Alchemist
#6 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 8:38 PM
Oh, and a comment on the thought
Quote:
I didn't think objects that didn't move had to have bones...

Some games, The Sims 2 for example, just defined a "root" bone for a lot of objects as a sort of default. When an object is able to be placed in different locations, such as defined in slots (on top of a counter, on a wall, whatever) it needs to have something that defines where everything is, so that when the location changes, everything moves with it.

The value 0xCD68F001 is the hash32 of the name "transformBone". Transform being a term used in 3D work to refer to a location shift. With everything defined in relation to that bone, the location of the bone can be changed (via a "transform") and the object will follow it to the new location. It may never move after that, but the initial placement anywhere except in the center of a tile on the floor (0, 0, 0) necessitates it having at least one joint. In TS3, this is all done by specific assignment, without any assumed defaults. Different game, different standards; I just try to make tools that will work with what we have.

<* Wes *>