Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#276 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Beer76
This EP could have twinkies, cupcakes, and a whole bag of chucklenuts for all I care.

What I DON'T want it to do is bend the existing game over and sodomize it like Ambitions did.

what do you mean by sodomy?

QWERTYFISH11 WAS HERE!!!
...well, you were too, yeah. i guess we both were. okay.
Advertisement
Theorist
#277 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:28 AM
I think that Ambitions was a welcome addition to the series, The Sims is a solid formula that doesn't need much messing with but do you really want to be buying the same rehashed ideas all the time? Opening the workplace is something that fans have been asking for for years (I'm so glad that we don't have to listen to all that complaining anymore!) so it really is proof that EA (occasionally) listens. I thought that all the careers were quite fun also....

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#278 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:32 AM
I wish Sims 3 had the ability to built clothing shops and grocery stores - as well as the other community lot buildings now turned into rabbit holes. I can understand being annoyed having to go shop in Sims 2, but I'd imagine that would primarily stem from the loading screens. A significant portion of Sims players used the game primarily as a building tool more than playing, like I did. And besides houses and apartments, I loved building shopping malls and stores.

I guess I still could, but it's quite unrealistic to have a mall without bookstores, food courts and clothing boutiques. I think I read somewhere that EA reopened a few stores that were once rabbit holes with World Adventures. Is that true?
Mad Poster
#279 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Beer76
What I DON'T want it to do is bend the existing game over and sodomize it like Ambitions did.

Although I can't wait to see what items it will be released with. The fog emitter was pretty awesome. More stuff along those lines would be great. As long as it doesn't include any of the aforementioned sodomy.

I'm sure some people's Sims already have been.

No, but I get your metaphor. I, too, don't want a screwed-up game.
Forum Resident
#280 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
(I'm so glad that we don't have to listen to all that complaining anymore!)

What do you mean we don't have to listen to all that complaining anymore? There are some people who want to rabbit hole careers opened, so we're still going to see people complain that we don't have that yet.
Mad Poster
#281 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:36 AM
haha, skinny dipping. i might just buy that one just for that feature.
Mad Poster
#282 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:40 AM
I'm sure that rabbit holes will remain, but that other places will be open. We'll see have to wait and see.
Scholar
#283 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:43 AM Last edited by pirate_wolf_12 : 26th Jul 2010 at 3:54 AM.
I actually don't care too much about the work place rabbit holes. It's the community lot ones that I have a grudge against. Open them up I say!
Lab Assistant
#284 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
I'm sure some people's Sims already have been.

No, but I get your metaphor. I, too, don't want a screwed-up game.

Well, I was pretty raged out about it. I couldn't play my game for a solid week because my sims were turning invisible. It wasn't until Twallan added a "fix invisible sims" option in his debugger that I was able to play again.

Then to top it off, the apparent "patch" EA released to fix that and all the other crap Ambitions broke gave me the 0.0.0.0 bug, which resulted in me reinstalling Sims (not knowing any better). My exports folder got wiped and I lost a month of tomb building work.

Hi. My name is Beer76 and EA sodomized me.

Seriously though, staying on topic... the whole nightlife expansion for Sims 2 didn't really do it for me. Namely due to the fact that the bars really just blew. It was glorified buildings with crappy dance floors and what led to endless attempts to do the smustle.

What I -am- looking forward to however, is the prospect of making some dive bars utilizing what I'm hoping is a bartending profession. The instruments... are ok. I was disappointed at the lack of a Vuvuzela. I thought for certain EA would put one in to mess with Pescado for doing a better job with Awesomemod than EA did with 90% of the playability in the game they made.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#285 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
What mod are you using?

'Shop For Clothes'. hosted right here :D
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=412721
Theorist
#286 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 4:22 AM
I like both ways, rabbit holes get them out of your hair for a little while, it's hard to have multiple sims in professions. I do wish that the stores would be opened though (unlikely this generation but in the future), even if you just opened them so that they're basic buildings but made special "work" objects (like a desk that a business sim would type on all day) that would be nice. It wouldn't be that hard (we already have cash registers so it would be easy to open the grocery and bookstore)

Hi I'm Paul!
Instructor
#287 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 4:26 AM
I want the Smustle back, it was soooo much fun!

This space intentionally left blank...
Top Secret Researcher
#288 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 4:44 AM
I think a protest outside the City Hall demanding "Bring Smustle Back" is due.
Scholar
#289 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
I wish Sims 3 had the ability to built clothing shops and grocery stores...

Me too. I hate RHs and would at least like to see the bistro, diner, grocery store, bookshop and theater open up.

Quote: Originally posted by qwertyfish11
... I'm not putting down TS3 or anything, I just don't know if the features I gave up are worth the features I lost

I think the same thing sometimes.
Mad Poster
#290 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 7:48 AM
Yeah, career rabbit holes are fine but there really is no reason to have the other community lots as rabbit holes when some of them are open. It's not as though opening up the movie theater would be any more time-consuming than the rabbit-hole version. A two-hour movie still would be two hours. Though, I wonder if that large movie screen would cause major lag.
Eminence Grise
#291 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 9:02 AM
... the movie theater, bistro and diner ARE career rabbitholes.

As are the grocery store, bookstore and spa... and mausoleum... part-time jobs, remember?

Sure you could duplicate those with "open" versions of the same functions (as WA in part did). But part-time jobs where you don't have to control your sim have a useful game function too.
Scholar
#292 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
... the movie theater, bistro and diner ARE career rabbitholes.

As are the grocery store, bookstore and spa... and mausoleum... part-time jobs, remember?

Sure you could duplicate those with "open" versions of the same functions (as WA in part did). But part-time jobs where you don't have to control your sim have a useful game function too.

Then just have it so the sim stands there at a cash register for the stores or the front desk for the spa (add in a few NPCs to work at the massage tables or the stoves for the diner). Not sure about the mausoleum though. You won't really have any option to control them whilst they're at work, besides them just standing there working on the register. It'd just be like normal, except you see them. And there wouldn't be that much programming involved with giving out tickets or typing on a register.

And then we'd finally see the inside of the community lots. And better yet, be able to build them ourselves.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#293 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 10:59 AM
I was dubious about rabbitholes before I played, but now I am really glad the sims take care of things for themselves in there. I can leave my simmie at work, or dining out, and attend to the ones who are busy at home. I think they're better than what used to happen - your sim just got whisked away in a car or bus. And with the bistro you can choose for them to eat outside.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#294 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 5:17 PM
I am with Inge on this. I am now happy with the rabbitholes. In Sims 2, we didn't even have buildings. The career Sims would just disappear! I like the open careers in Sims 3 but they are time consuming.

In Sims 2, I had a mod that changed time so when a Sim went to work in his store and came home, I was able to play the rest of the family starting when the Sim left for work and then he would come home at the appropriate time. I liked this because I wasn't repeating time, a big failure in Sims 2 imho. Sims 3 fixed that issue by allowing the Sims to continue on with their lives while we were playing other sims. Sometimes I want to play with the Fireman Sim (that did sound bad!) and other times I want to control a family member at home or at their work. Rabbitholes give me a way of doing this without having to make the choice.

Some things though should not be rabbitholes. I understand the school, the offices, the athletic career. But the restaurants do not make good rabbitholes!! One socializes while eating dinner and in this game, you can't really do that.

BTW, you can make stores and malls. Just use the custom rabbithole mods, custom cash registers, and clothing rack mods. Yeah..mods are not always a good way to go but I had more of them in my Sims 2 game than I do here so I don't worry too much if they give me enjoyment. At least conflicts are easier to deal with in Sims 3 than Sims 2!
Forum Resident
#295 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 5:48 PM
having rabbitholes for careers is fine for me. it is always more then what we had in sims 2.
but why take away shopping/entertaining area? that was what made the game seem more alive.
these parts are essential to the game, imo, and i really hope that in next expansions we get them back.
Scholar
#296 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 7:28 PM
RHs for some careers is okay but there is no good reason why that function needs to gobble up so much of the Real Estate. I still think it makes more sense to have an active playable location with a small room/door designation for the career aspect of the venue.

The WA registers do allow you to have stores and shopping of sorts and as there are really big screen TVs you can have a movie theater. (Sir Riverview Plaza Park) Registers don't bother me as I've usually had townies assigned to the register on lots I've built. I would prefer register NPCs though so there's no nonsense like going off to eat, read, pee, chat. But things will be changed for the better now that they are bringing back the dating interactions with both positive/negative possibilities.
Mad Poster
#297 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 9:34 PM
I'm just glad that our existing bars finally will have bartenders to compliment them.
#298 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 3:14 PM
I'm fine with career rabbit holes. I just miss the ability to shop at a grocery store. If they opened up community rabbitholes, i would be peachy...

I wish they would open up the movie theater.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#299 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 3:36 PM
Oh....
true. I just got Ambitions yesterday, and although it was a lot of fun, I didn't get it that no one was working at the bar. Then I realized that I have to make a sim work there.

They wouldn't really be work in it, since they aren't paid. It's more self serve. Maybe a mod will come out so Sims can get paid to serve drinks at the bar when on a community lot (for every Sim that gets some)
#300 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 2:37 AM
Really excited about this
Page 12 of 95