Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 4:18 PM
Default Sit With Baby
Hello !
The theme of the month remembers me that I've always wanted to have my sim adult sit while nursing a baby. But I stepped upon an anim "a2b-soc-holdbaby-start-sit" that made me wonder if there was other things then nursing that Maxis forced sitting on adults while holding a baby. Maybe I don't remember it or I never stepped upon it (I mod more often than I play) or the anim wasn't a maxis one but a CC one.

The question is : Have you ever get a sim to sit while holding a baby without (or with) any CC mod ?

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 4:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Aug 2017 at 4:57 PM.
You can make them sit and feed the baby a bottle by posing them with a posebox (not an animation box or by sitting them down in a chair/couch). Put the baby and the bottle on the floor, and click the bottle ("Feed [baby]"). The baby will snap p the sim's arms, and the sim goes through the feeding cycle. A good example of a posebox is the one here on MTS by Decorgal. It's got several decent sitting poses. The sims tend to sometimes jump to a different location, so if you have the freezer clock it's a good addition (you can modify the freezer clock to also freeze infants).

Here's a few examples on how I've used this method:
https://s26.postimg.org/uboovuug9/S...Shot455_red.png
https://s26.postimg.org/6d4c8gbvt/L...hot040_red4.png
https://s26.postimg.org/idudmx8o9/L...Shot084_red.png (this one was combined with the aging cheat sequence that lets a sim act as an older sim)

There's also poseboxes you can use. Infants can to some degree use the toddler skeleton (making the poses is a bit difficult to get right, though) so you can enable infants for toddler poses and make sims hold them that way. Ony works for taking pictures, though. Same with the infant toys - they're really great as a supplement to poseboxes, because they don't give the infant the "dead" look in their face that poseboxes give them.

Someone tried unlocking the unused sitting poses, but I don't think they were properly finished from EA's side, so the mods didn't work that well.

I've tried to make some of the animations into an animation box, but most of those involving an interaction between the baby and adult didn't work properly, and some did not want to play, causing errors. I'm guessing it's because the baby is an object, and having the adult sim interact with the baby (holding/using as a prop) requires some inbuilt rig item we as players can't use.
Scholar
#3 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 4:56 PM
For sims to do something while holding a baby/toddler the game will look for an op-code named CT - Carried Sim Needed? in the item the sim is interacting with. If that op-code includes the condition that the sim is already holding a baby then sim's won't have to pick one up first.

The file here will enable sims to sit, greet visitors and even dance moderately at a stereo without having to put the baby down.
https://app.box.com/s/pjw74zexdwgpogmulb0ze6b4nww2kn8c (3.5kb)
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 2:51 AM Last edited by ankoyume : 30th Aug 2017 at 3:59 AM.
Thanks for the link and those pictures are really cute.
If I asked that question, it is because I'm on a project...
I've use the famous "CT - Carried needed" and I succeeded in getting the sim to sit and to be tickled. I would like to be sure that it had not already be done, because it is a time-consuming task to modify maxis animations to fit the sit position with the idle ones and so on. As you have poses but no animations for the toddler's interactions like 'tickle' and 'cuddle', I guess it is worth the effort to keep on.
Would you like both test it for me ? I can send it by PM.

In the mean time, I'll go see the link : want to see if your way to do it is simpler than mine.

Edit : I love the dance with baby interaction ! Your thing is really different ! I'm no good to understand it : it will take me some time, but I can say that your way to get rid of the interaction while sitting is more efficient than mine (I'll certainly copy it if you don't mind). As you've done some go on that, I can focus my project on toddlers. I'd really like to have your word on my creation.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 2:53 PM
With the mod the baby does not appear to move while held when the sim is sitting down, and the sit animations are quite awkward. Some animations look alright, like dancing.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
With the mod the baby does not appear to move while held when the sim is sitting down, and the sit animations are quite awkward.

I've succeeded to animate the toddler while sitting, but I have not tried the baby yet. The bad side is I don't think would sit action like discuss with someone while holding the toddler ...