Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 4:34 PM
Default Assistance, Please? (Berry Overlays Washing Out Eyelashes)
Okay, so I have a question, but first, a bit of an explanation. My Berry skin details are basically just color overlays (skin details) for the Maxis skins, with the teeth/eye sections whited out. And they work fairly well, but the layering is a little strange (I say, from a layman non-coder's point of view) in that the mole skin detail I cloned them from is somehow layered on top of the hair/beard and facial accessories - staining them with the Berry color.

It also stains female eyelashes - which is a bit more understandable, but still annoying, and I've had a request for a fix. I don't think I can do that with my current limited understanding of the way the various bits and pieces layer together to make our sims.

I would like the Berry Overlays to stay overlays, instead of making skin ramps (are they still called that in this game?), if possible. There's A) no way I have the time to dedicate to that, considering how complicated it is, and B) There are so many awesome shades of Berry skin to be had when you can combine them with Maxis' official skins. That said, I would like to fix the eyelash issue, and if possible, the glasses/jewelry and hair stain issue (I can see tint on the hair becoming a problem as colors mix with the generations and your purple hair doesn't look as purple because of your pink skin tone, for example), while still keeping the functionality of the skin detail overlay system.

Is there a way to do that? An item I can clone my overlays from (It would also be great for them to have their own slot in CAS, that's definitely something I'm looking into now that the new tool has been released) that is layered more closely to the skin than the moles? Maybe creating a new mesh completely (Though these don't even use a mesh in the first place, I'm 99% sure, there's only the texture file and the CASP file when I have them open in S4PE)?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you all can give me. And if you need more info from me just let me know.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:07 PM
Actually, going the skin route might be the way to go, if it's possible to add a new skin colour - because there's not like... a full set of green, a full set of blue, etc... each of the colour options for skins is a single colour image that overlays the greyscale skin textures. I don't know if it's possible to make a new one yet but if what you're after is just a new skin tint, that's certainly an avenue to look at.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Actually, going the skin route might be the way to go, if it's possible to add a new skin colour - because there's not like... a full set of green, a full set of blue, etc... each of the colour options for skins is a single colour image that overlays the greyscale skin textures. I don't know if it's possible to make a new one yet but if what you're after is just a new skin tint, that's certainly an avenue to look at.

Huh. Well that makes my life much easier, actually. If the skins work that way, then I could make alternate color overlays (cloned from Maxis', so they show up in the skin color palette) that would work even if someone has default skin texture replacements installed? Because that would do everything my overlays are doing now with exactly none of the problems I'm currently having and the perk of having them show up in a more easily located space.

So I guess now, my question is, has anyone successfully located the skin tone overlay files and are they as easily modified as the other .package files I've come across so far? Could I use S4PE to "save as", generate a new UID, replace the .dds file and then just install them in the mods folder?
Lab Assistant
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:21 PM
There's some info floating around another thread about that, but apparently skin tones are WAY more complex now than they were in previous games. It's not just a simple DDS and a few overlays. There are dozens of overlays, for different features (a few different noses for definition, visible ribs or muscles for definition of different body sizes, etc).

I'm sure HP knows a bit more about it, but I haven't seen a whole lot going on there yet.

I hope it gets figured out soon. I need a Barbie Nude skin. (I don't need detailed nipples and stuff. I just want a Maxis-match skintone without the built-in underwear for things like backless dresses and exposed hips and such).
Lab Assistant
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:48 PM
Oh, here it is. Check out this thread:

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=530995

It hasn't been concluded yet, but there may be enough information to get you down that rabbit-hole.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 6:01 PM
vadkins - Pretty sure it would work with default replacements, yeah, since default replacements are the same Type/Group/Instance as the original skins. And that you'd only have to make a single image with your colour tint, assuming there is a method for cloning the skin colours.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.