Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 4:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Restoring pictures
So, i lost all i played for an year, which isn't a lot since i don't play sims every day. Thank god i haven't lost 13GB of my cc, i would totally snap. I made the indentical sims and edited their relationships and family trees on SimPe, i also cleaned my game since i kinda corrupted it, so there's also a good side. Now, to the issue here, i have pictures of my family stories on which my perfectionist a** put a lot of effort on. I pasted them in Neighbourhoods/N001/Storytelling and The sims 2/Storytelling, but they aren't appearing in my game. I really hope there is a way where i can restore the pictures i have about 30 of them and i would cost me days and nerves to take them again.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 5:47 PM
You should be able to find them in the general pictures bin in the in-game screenshot sorter - did you include the thumbnails AND the screenshots when you transferred? Because if you didn't you won't be able to see them.

There are a couple of things also - you can recode the picture names to fit with your family (they will have a code in the name that identifies the lot). But that's not necessary.

If you copy a picture from the general bin what the game does is make a copy of the file (with the lot code incorporated in the new name). What I did when I transferred all my pictures when I remade Little Carping, was delete the originals once I had a copy. Otherwise you have a lot of large files just taking up space.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
You should be able to find them in the general pictures bin in the in-game screenshot sorter - did you include the thumbnails AND the screenshots when you transferred? Because if you didn't you won't be able to see them.

There are a couple of things also - you can recode the picture names to fit with your family (they will have a code in the name that identifies the lot). But that's not necessary.

If you copy a picture from the general bin what the game does is make a copy of the file (with the lot code incorporated in the new name). What I did when I transferred all my pictures when I remade Little Carping, was delete the originals once I had a copy. Otherwise you have a lot of large files just taking up space.

I looked at the "+" in the album of the family if that's considered general and i didn't find them. I haven't saved the thumbnails, i didn't know there were important , i pretty sure i saved the screenshots. The latest picture i take is called "screenshot" and it becomes a "snapshot" as soon as i take another. Here are what the files look like, i hope they can be restored.

Is there a tutorial with the coding thing? The pictures of the families were taken on multiple lots, not just their homes if that's what you meant.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 9:41 PM
OK no thumbnails, no see. That's what shows up in the selecter screen and is why you can't see them. Without them, you can code all you like. Still won't work.

You might be able to make copies of all the screenshots and then resize them and rename them to 'thumbnail_therestofthenametheyneedtomatch' but that's a hell of a job. See in the example attached how the filenames match for the pairs of shots except one is a snapshot while the other is a thumbnail. The thumbnail is 128x96 pixels.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 9:52 PM
All you should have to do here is make thumbnails of those shots. Most photo editors will allow you to do that - just save a much-smaller copy with the same name except that "snapshot" will be replaced with "thumbnail." You can check what size you need by taking an in-game picture and checking the properties of the thumbnail. Once you have thumbnails, you can open up the story album and use the thumbnails to organize it, order photos, etc.

Although in base game snapshots are coded with the Lot ID, when the storytelling album was updated so that there was a Storytelling folder inside each Neighborhood folder, all snapshots began to be labeled with the family ID - that's the first string of random-looking numbers there. In your new hood, the recreated households will probably have a new ID number, so you'll need to rename them. A bulk renamer utility will make that easy. The second string of random numbers is the picture's ID.

If you have pictures taken by the sims with the BV camera, you'll find that they have a single-letter prefix. This is what the game uses to sort the pictures onto the various location tabs in your album. An Nsnapshot was taken in the main hood or one of its non-vacation subhoods; an Msnapshot in Three Lakes, a T snapshot on Twikkii Island, and an Fsnapshot in Takemizu Village.

If you want pictures taken of household members while other households were active - if for example someone carries on an affair at the neighbor's - you can go to the + tab in the album and find all the snapshots in this Storytelling folder that have thumbnails. Select a shot from any of those other households, move it into the album, and the game will make new snapshot and thumbnail files with the active household's ID! This is tedious in the extreme on a large scale, but it's better to know this in case you need it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 9:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Nov 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Snapshot and thumbnail pictures that belong together share the same number after the first _ so the below method probably works (I haven't tried, though). I can't promise this will get back the pictures in the albums ingame, but if the new thumbnail pics show up, you'll probably be able to redo the albums.

- Copy all the "snapshot" pictures from the N00X/Storytelling folder into a new folder on your desktop (so you don't get the "-copy" behind them)
- Substitute "snapshot" with "thumbnail" for all the pictures in the new folder
- Resize the new "thumbnail" pictures to 128x96 with a picture editing program.
- Put the "thumbnail" pictures into the N00X/Storytelling folder with the "Snapshot" pictures they belong to.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 9:58 PM
I'm wondering if y'all saw the picture I posted?

Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 10:21 PM
Not till after I hit post, nope. But since it's been explained three different ways now, odds are good that Grandma understands now!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 2:24 AM
@maxon be sure not to be on db when you post, they aren't showing up, like that whole bootstrap vs classic thing we had a while back.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 6:00 PM
Thank you so much guys <3. I will try it! It's much easier @maxon to resize the pics and rename them than to take every again. I think that every pic toke me on average 20 minutes because, like i said, my perfectionist a**. If someone looked at my screenshots, i hope y'all not concerned for my character, i'm not a violent person lol. I usually play games with dark stories and i got used to them. :D
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 6:13 PM
I'm thinking what you could do is just make a copy of the files in another folder and then use a bulk renamer to change snapshot to thumbnail for that batch. I'd try it then. You might find the game automatically uses images of the right proportions even if the size is wrong (it does that with object textures for example. I, like a lot of other recolourers, automatically double or even quadruple the size of texture images and the game uses them just fine. It's a way to get higher quality textures without much effort). Even if it doesn't work, you can then go through the files and just resize.

Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 10:02 AM
IT WORKED!!! Thank you all so much, it took me 5 minutes a total!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 6:04 PM
@Peni Griffin

My in game camera, has stopped working. I use M&G Stuff, and have all EP/SP.

Not in my N00X Storytelling folder, or any other folder.... Suggestions?

Thanx!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 7:47 PM
I have never known anyone to think their camera had stopped working, who wasn't looking in the wrong storytelling folder, but since you've already checked the correct folder, this looks like something you'll have to troubleshoot.

Have you tried it in multiple neighborhoods?
Without the downloads folder?
In a fresh Sims 2 folder?

That's where you'd start looking for clues.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I have never known anyone to think their camera had stopped working, who wasn't looking in the wrong storytelling folder, but since you've already checked the correct folder, this looks like something you'll have to troubleshoot.

Have you tried it in multiple neighborhoods?
Without the downloads folder?
In a fresh Sims 2 folder?

That's where you'd start looking for clues.
Where are all the places I could possibly find the pics. Not sure now, if I've checked them all.

Thanx.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 8:08 PM
If they're not in the Storytelling folder, there's nowhere else for them to be. Back up the game, take out the downloads folder, try taking a new picture, see if it makes one and where it goes.

Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 11:25 PM Last edited by Kunder : 5th Dec 2017 at 10:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If they're not in the Storytelling folder, there's nowhere else for them to be. Back up the game, take out the downloads folder, try taking a new picture, see if it makes one and where it goes.
Thanks!

Well, I downloaded Frap, my camera doesn't work, but Frap does.