Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 9:58 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Installing Custom Sims using Clean Installer
Hi! SimBeatle1979 here! So far I've learned how to put custom lots into the Sims 2 game using the Clean Installer. I'm still confused on how to add custom Sims into the same using the Clean Installer program. Please provide complete, thorough, and clear walk-throughs on how to put custom Sims into the game with the Clean Installer so I will know that you're still alive and with us. Any help would make me happy! Thank you.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 10:12 PM
You install them to the Downloads directory. No other hocus pocus than that. If you can install lots with the S2CI, you know how to install sims. Installing sims is even easier than lots...

If you want to stay organized, make one folder for each sim (as subfolders inside the Downloads folder), and put the CC files belonging to each sim inside. All the CC files should pop up in the Downloads folder, so it's just a matter of making the folder, marking the files, and moving them. You have to install the sims separately anyway.

My own Downloads folder has sims organized something like this (I use the name of the sim instead of the "Sim1"/"Sim2", though).
-Downloads
--Sims
---Sim1
----(files here)
---Sim2
----(files here)
---Sim3
----(files here)

You may find some more help here:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...acking_Idiots_7
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 10:36 PM
Now the CC files that come with the Sim that should pop up in the Downloads folder: That would mean making a folder for each Sim and moving its files into the downloads folder, right? Or do the Sim's CC end up automatically in the Downloads folder?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 10:46 PM
The cc will be in the downloads folder, at the end, and (sorry, I haven't done it for a while) I tend to think the sims as well. They are files at the end, after all the other downloads. I just move them into my own folders, I do not use a lot of subfolders, for that can make the names too long for the computer to read properly.
Alchemist
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 10:53 PM
sim installation I take to be safe with the shipped version installer.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 11:01 PM
Not really. The shipped version has a lot of flaws. Occasionally it will refuse to install something, blaming "not having the proper game version" or whatever (even though you have all the EPs/SPs). It also renames some CC files to strings of numbers and letters, particularly for lots, but I think I have seen it for sims as well. There are probably a few other issues, too. In addition, you can't choose what to install with the default installer.

The S2CI lets you preview files (textures), so you can untick files you don't want. It also highlights most object mods, so you can choose whether to install them (also for lots). I do find it useful for sims too, as meshes don't always ship with the sim, and the S2CI lets you check out the file contents first.

Besides, if you have the S2CI already, trying to use the default installer is way too much hassle for no gain.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 11:10 PM
mdsb759, always use Clean Installer. I install sims into saved sims.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 11:18 PM
^You can install sims to SavedSims, but I find it annoying because of all the clutter. I prefer having as much as possible in Downloads, and keep SavedSims strictly for Bodyshop projects (until I've renamed the files, and then they're moved to Downloads).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 7:45 AM
My saved sims folder is basically empty, I only ever download the occasional sim.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~