Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 5:19 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 22nd Jul 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Default Den of Thieves Challenge
I had a challenge idea and thought others might like to try this out as well...I have playtested through to the end myself, although I'm sure I could do it faster next time.

I have WA and AMB, but no further add-ons, so there are no rules for later EPs. Add some if you like. The challenge should be perfectly playable with just basegame.

My test thieves all died of old age, and the slave was also an elder before she 'escaped'. If this is a dealbreaker for you, and you can't get the slave to freedom in adulthood, you could start him/her as a teen instead of YA. Or use longer lifespans - mine were on Normal.

I like playing challenges, but I tend to get bored with them once I am used to the playstyle required, so long challenges like Legacy are not for me - therefore, this runs for a single generation only. If you want it longer, you could allow the slave to breed and have the offspring follow the slave's life path instead of the thieves' route. That way the child can inherit the house and treasure, should you so desire.

Really, I don't mind how you tweak the rules, as long as you have fun. There is no points system for the same reason. If you really want points, make some up and post them in the thread so others can use them if they like. Same for other input - if you have a good idea to improve the challenge, feel free to post about it!

Now on with the show!

Den of Thieves - A One-Generation Challenge for Sims 3

You have been carried off by a gang of thieves and imprisoned in their hideout, doomed to be a domestic slave until the end of days...unless you become stong enough to overthrow them. In the meantime, if the gang suspects any treachery from the slave, lockdown will result.

Sims
Create a new household of six unrelated sims. Make three adults and three young adults. One sim is you, the slave, and the rest are thieves. All the thieves must be of the same gender, while the slave must be the opposite gender. It's up to you whether you create a gang of ruffians with a beautiful maiden in thrall, or a troupe of Amazonian outcasts with a pet man.
The slave must have these traits - Brave, Handy, and Neat, plus two traits of your choice.
Thieves must all be Kleptomaniacs. Otherwise, give them suitable traits of your choice - such as Slob, Mean-spirited, Unlucky, Mooch, Schmoozer, Evil, Inappropriate, Clumsy, etc... Don't make them all identical - the randomize button is recommended. Each thief must have at least three negative traits.
Other aspects of sim personality and looks are up to you.

Lot
Create the hideout for them all to live in. Allow some space for buying new objects during play - or build extensions later. Kitchen and laundry must have closed access - lock the door so only the slave can cook or wash clothes.

Spaces to include -
- a communal living area (including at least one couch so the slave has somewhere to sleep)
- dining area (separate from kitchen)
- lockable kitchen (and laundry if you have AMB)
- bedrooms - shared or single - for the gang members
- lockable treasure chamber (perhaps a basement or secret room)
- three sets of bathroom facilities -showers or tubs, toilets, basins.
- lockdown room - could be the kitchen, an attic or basement, or a small room of its own.

Depending how difficult you want to make things, the minimum contents for the lockdown room are one cheap couch and one plate of leftovers. Beyond that, it's up to you - but don't build a mini-palace! Lockdown should be inconvenient. Some possibilities from my test house:
- the kitchen - plenty of food, can finish a load of washing as the laundry is connected. The slave even has a bed in one corner. However, no bathroom.
- the basement - this is the treasure chamber, so there are pretty things to look at. However, no windows, no plumbing, no food.
- the living room - entertainment, couches, pleasant surroundings. No plumbing, no food.
- special lockdown room - 2x3 space, just enough for a small couch, a plate of food and perhaps a toilet.

You may use money cheats to build the hideout and do the initial furnishing. Once you are ready to play, use familyfunds to reduce the gang's money to $500. From there, all income must be earned!

Furnish with the cheapest versions of each item at the start, and upgrade as money or desire dictates. You can upgrade gradually through the ranks of dining chairs, for example, or move straight from cheap and nasty to luxurious, as you wish. The player should use household funds at their discretion.

Furnishings to include -
couch
bar
coffee machine
dresser
bookcase
gym machine
fun items such as TV, radio, chess
accessible extra fridge for leftovers and snacks
at least one double bed
no fire or burglar alarms
other furnishings as desired

The slave must sleep on a couch in the living area at the beginning. This means they will not sleep soundly - too bad! The slave may sleep in one of the thieves' beds only if romantically involved with that thief, or while no thieves are home to catch them.

Any object desired by one of the gang must be provided as soon as possible. Objects desired by the slave are optional.

The treasure chamber should be used to display gems, art, sculptures, relics of overseas travel, etc. Other furnishings are allowed - this might also be a games room, the lockdown room, or the King of Thieves' bedchamber. Any gemstones or metals collected by the slave must be cut or smelted, and then displayed in the treasure chamber. Objects collected/stolen by thieves can be sold, displayed in the treasure chamber, or used as you prefer.

Graves must be kept on the lot if any thieves die. If the slave dies, you lose!

Careers and Duties
All the gang members must take up the Criminal career on the first day of residence. Thieves may be controlled only to enhance their career progress - fulfilling career opportunities, setting work tones, gaining work-related skills (especially athletic) or relationships. The player can access thieves' inventories as needed - reading career books, adding or removing objects, etc. Lifetime Happiness points may be spent as the player desires.

Thieves may NOT be directly controlled apart from their careers. Leave them to manage their own needs, although the slave can influence their wellbeing by providing good meals and maintaining the environment. The exception is WA travel. Thieves won't travel just for pleasure, as the player cannot command them to make the booking. However, if a thief is asked to travel for work, the player may control them through that experience. The thief should fulfill their career task and may then enjoy their destination normally. Relics, recipes, collectibles and other souvenirs may be brought home for use or sale. (The most valuable finds should go to the treasure chamber, of course.) Unless travel has been granted as a privilege to the slave, only thieves with a career opportunity to fulfill may go overseas.

Every day, the slave must cook meals, make beds, wash clothing (AMB), clean bathrooms, tidy up. If there are children in the house, childcare falls to the slave. Broken objects must be repaired as soon as possible. If there is a vegie garden, tending it is the slave's responsibility. If the slave has gained the privilege of a career, that must be fitted in around their household duties.

The gang obviously wants to avoid discovery of their hideout, so fire and police services may not be summoned. The slave must fight burglars and put out fires as necessary (hence the Brave trait). You do not have to pay bills, but unpaid bills result in visits from the debt collector - just the kind of attention the gang wants to avoid. Just pay the bills.

The slave may not sell items for money, nor take up any career or profession (unless that privilege has been achieved). Incidental money paid for completed opportunities is okay. Slave opportunities may be fulfilled within current privilege limits. If an opportunity involves overseas travel, there is no point accepting it unless the slave has achieved that privilege.

The slave, while truant from home, may collect seeds, bugs, gems etc as desired. However, valuable finds are confiscated by the gang, and must be displayed in the treasure chamber. Other items (such as seeds or fish) may be used. Items collected by the slave cannot be sold.

The slave can become romantically involved with the thieves, and this is a good way to curry favour. However, if slave and thief woohoo, Try For Baby must always be chosen. Caring for any resulting offspring is the duty of the slave. Thieves' spawn become gang members as they grow older, taking suitable traits and the Criminal career, and must be included in escape conditions.

The slave may upgrade household objects as they gain handiness skill. They may also pursue hobbies such as fishing, inventing, photography etc, as long as they do not sell anything. Lifetime Happiness points may be used at the player's discretion.

Lockdown
The gang's vigilance is increased when any transgression is discovered or suspected. Most importantly, the slave may not leave the home lot. This includes shopping and collecting expeditions, and fulfilling opportunities, all of which have to be conducted in secret. If all thieves are absent or asleep (dead drunk perhaps?), you can take the risk of going somewhere. Keep a lookout for early returns, though! All the following scenarios result in lockdown for the slave:

If any thief returns home or wakes up while the slave is absent, the truant is discovered.
If a truant slave finds themselves on the same lot as one of the thieves, they must instantly return home to lockdown.
If any official attention is brought to the lot, the slave is suspected. (Emergency services, Repoman)
If a thief loses their job, the slave is punished.
If any thief is jailed during work hours, the slave is suspected. Lockdown begins when the jailed thief returns home to accuse the slave. If the slave is at work at this time, lockdown begins as soon as the slave returns home. If the slave is wandering the neighbourhood, the gang forces him/her to return home immediately.
If there is fighting among the thieves, the slave is punished. Thieves don't have to be nice to each other, but actual violence in the house is frowned upon.
If a thief dies of any cause except old age, the slave is blamed.
If any thief is afflicted with vomiting, the slave is accused of poisoning and is punished.
If a burglar succeeds in stealing household goods, the slave is punished.

Lockdown means that the slave is confined to the house for two full days, or 48 hours. The slave must still perform all household duties while a thief is home to keep an eye on them, but if all the thieves are going out, the slave is locked into a room for the duration of their absence. If employed, the slave may not go to work while lockdown is in effect. No outgoing phone calls. Obviously, no travel, local or overseas, during lockdown.

Change for the better
The slave's ultimate object is to regain their freedom, but it's a long road. Along the way, conditions for the slave can be improved, particularly by gaining the trust of the gang members. When duties allow, try to befriend them. Relationships do have to be maintained. As soon as thieves become 'Distant Friends', attached privileges are lost until the relationship is restored.

Important milestones -
(A) The slave is friends or lovers with at least one thief. With their backing, the slave may upgrade to a real bed somewhere in the house.
(B) The slave is friends (or better) with at least three thieves, and at least one of those has reached Level Three in their career. The slave is now trusted to wander the neighbourhood without incurring lockdown. This does not allow overseas travel or a job. Lockdown still applies if the gang's suspicions are otherwise aroused.
(C) The slave is friends with all the thieves, and at least one thief reaches Level Five of their career. The slave is permitted to take a job; the gang believes he/she is working as an 'inside man'. Lockdown still applies in other ways.
(D) The slave is friends with all the thieves, and at least one thief reaches Level Seven of their career. The gang is now ready to send the slave on reconnaissance missions - overseas travel is permitted. Lockdown still applies if the gang suspects treachery.
(E) The treasure chamber contains twenty collectibles or relics worth over $1000 each. This portable fortune puts the thieves in good humour, and they magnanimously decide that lockdowns will last only one full day - as long as the treasure remains safe.
(F) The slave is friends with all the thieves, and at least one thief is at the top of thier career. Lockdown is no longer considered necessary.

Escape!
The slave manages to escape, or even overthrow the entire gang, when any one of these conditions is fulfilled:

- slave reaches top of Law Enforcement career - police raid the hideout and release the prisoner.
- slave reaches top of Military career - SWAT team shuts down the gang.
- slave reaches Level 10 in Martial Arts (WA) - gang members are all beaten in personal combat.
- slave reaches Level 10 in Private Investigator profession (AMB) - their completed dossier on the gang is acted upon by the authorities.
- all thieves are dead (no killing them on purpose!) - last sim alive keeps the loot.

When escape conditions are fulfilled, the ex-slave may ransack the treasure chamber and move out, or take over the entire hideout by kicking out the thieves.

Tips
- it takes time to get relationships and careers underway, so make your slave one of the Young Adults in the household.
- Thieves who seem to be safely at work will come home unexpectedly if their moods or needs are too low - if your slave is out on the town, watch it!
- It's a good idea to prepare extra meals and store them in the fridge for later.
- If you think the slave might starve in the lockdown room, place a plate of leftovers in the room. Other motive failures won't kill them.
- Upgrade the furnishings as money permits. Better fridges, showers and beds can make a big difference to everybody's moods.
- Install shelving or display cabinets in the treasure room, so you can easily keep track of the most valuable items.
- It can be hard to time outings once the thieves are at different points of their careers. A quick jaunt across the road while all of them are asleep might stave off cabin fever.
- The slave doesn't have to wait until careers are allowed before working towards freedom - if the thieves install a martial arts dummy, the slave can use it when they're not looking.
- The thieves will get quite a few travel opportunities. Since thieves are controllable while overseas, this might be a good chance to get some skills or make phone calls to acquaintances. Remember to collect valuable relics for the treasure chamber!

HAVE FUN!
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 11:25 AM
This is certainly well thought out! : )
I'll keep this in mind when I start my next game.
Out of curiosity, did you do a female or male slave? And did they have children with one of the thieves? It would be interesting to catalog that relationship (slave-parent and child). I just might be doing this now that I am thinking about the possible scenarios/consequences.
Well done, btw.

"Goonies never say die."
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 11:38 AM
Great! Thanks for reading.
My slave was female, and although she did have a romantic relationship with one thief, they never woohooed. One advantage of a male slave if there are going to be kids, would be that the slave won't have to cope with the pregnancy as well as the housework - although having the pregnant thief at home all day might be a pain. There are points both ways.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 7:30 PM
This looks like fun! I'm definitely going to give it a try later.

Is there a reason why the thieves should be the opposite gender to the slave? I've started to plan a few sims out and would prefer a mixed bunch, but I don't mind sticking to all males or all females.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 12:26 AM
Partly for story purposes, partly to have the risk of pregnancy with any woohoo. Feel free to tweak!
Test Subject
#6 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 12:27 AM
Thanks for this. I'ma try this as my first ever Challenge. Legacy challenges are a bit daunting for me ><

Edit: Do you have a premade den?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 9:14 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 25th Jul 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Welcome to the world of challenges, Flameturtle! I'm honoured that you will start with mine.

Regarding a premade lot, I am a builder myself, so I would have to build a new one any time I wanted it, in whatever style I felt like having...and I tend to assume every player will likewise have their personal requirements. I haven't uploaded a house in a veeery long time.

I could upload a thieves' den if enough people want one, but not instantly. For one thing, I'd have to go and find out what the uploading rules are around here these days!

You can modify any existing house to suit the challenge of course. I'll wait and see if there are more requests before comitting to sharing a purpose-built lot.
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 10:47 AM
I made myself a basement house. Its awesome, everything started out lowest quality but with 5 sims in a job that wasn't the case for long. Only problem was the bills, with 6 people even just crappy stuff makes decent bills.

Got the theives progressing nicely and the slave is doing great. This is fun ^_^
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 4:41 PM
Right from the start my slave, Zaer, looks appropriately frightened. Or shocked. I'm not sure which.

The first day hasn't gone so well for her. First she burnt some waffles. Then she burnt some mac and cheese. Just in case burnt food causes vomiting I made her cook another portion. Guess what happened?

From now on it will just be autumn salad for lunch, dinner and tea. Although the way things are going I'm predicting the lettuce will spontaneously combust.

I keep checking on my thieves and four out of five of them have been near constantly arguing with each other.

The fifth decided to buck the trend and argued with his new place of employment instead.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 12:43 AM
Catastrophics, I hope things improve for your slave! I don't think burnt food causes vomiting, although not burnt is obviously better. At least the house didn't burn down.
It's fine if the thieves don't like each other, as long as they don't actually come to blows. They'll probably reach some sort of 'working' relationship within a few days' play.

Flameturtle, glad to see you are happy with your basement den. Mine lived in an old Victorian house. It was quite large, which made hard work keeping it tidy with clothing left all over the place. The routing is not programmed very well (surprising? No.) so the slave used to spend a lot of time running from one end of the house to the other with each handful of washing.

Yes, early on the bills can be surprisingly hefty - they get worse as you upgrade stuff, but by then you will have some decent income to match. With five incomes and various promotions, money begins to pile up fairly soon.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 9:00 PM
interesting, I have to try it!

I've had enough, this is my prayer! That I die livin' just as free as my hair!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 10:49 PM
Ooh, I'm going to go play this now! Too much fun. I always loved treasure gathering.

One thing, though; I'm pretty sure burglars won't visit your house if a sim in the household is in the Criminal career track. So that's one scenario the slave doesn't have to worry about.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 11:19 PM
One of the thieves got arrested on her first day at work! This looks like it's going to be a very unlucky household...

I am a little worried that I may have cheated by using the phone to call all sims home at one point because Cyrus (the sim who appeared to be arguing with the building in my last update) nearly starved to death. He just wouldn't stop talking to his boss on the phone all day! I hope this doesn't count as controlling the thieves...
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 6:51 AM
starting this tonight(:
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 3:00 PM
Ooo, now this seems fun! I may tweak a few of the rules in order to suit what I have planned, but I think I'm going to have fun with this! :D

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Alchemist
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 8:10 AM
Great to see so much interest!

Catastrophics, you probably shouldn't cancel the actions of thieves in general, but it's up to you really. The slave is allowed to interact with / influence them, you know - calling them to a meal, for instance, which would prevent starvation! Try not to issue them commands of their own, unless for career purposes.

My thieves were constantly being arrested at work. Sometimes three of the five in a single day.

Don't know if burglar's won't visit because of the thieves - but if not, one less reason for the slave to be confined to quarters. It will happen often enough anyway. The reason for that rule was that I'm sure the thieves would not look kindly upon any of their loot being taken; same as for the repoman.

Hope you are all enjoying your challenges.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 3:27 AM
I'd definitely like to try this.

How long did this challenge take you approximately in real time?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 3:27 AM
Ummm...can't remember, but since it lasts essentially one sim's YA/adult/elder lifetime, that should give you an idea.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 20th Aug 2011 at 1:27 PM
thread is too epic to not get bumped. so bump

I've had enough, this is my prayer! That I die livin' just as free as my hair!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 3:05 AM
Did you try the challenge? How did it go?
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 10:33 PM Last edited by moonlight_frog : 28th Aug 2011 at 1:03 AM.
I'm going to try today, but I can't promise that I'll finish *o* (notorious for not finishing challenges- the only challenge I've ever completed was the "Stay up all night and let your sim be an idiot challenge"- something like that, anyway XD).

I'm going to make a female captive amongst a gang of modern-day thieves in Bridgeport.

Edit: I just started, and I tried to make them a bit varied by using the Randomize function.

Here's a list of their stats (no pics yet, sorry):

Thieves:
Reggie Santos (obviously supposed to look Hispanic), YA- Coward, Dislikes Kids, Hopeless Romantic, Klepto, Unflirty
LTW: He wants to swim in cash (get 50,000 simoleons in household funds).

Howard Chen (looks Asian), YA- Computer Whiz, Grumpy, Never Nude, Daredevil, Klepto
LTW: Become a master thief.
His favorite color is purple.

Gary Mitch (looks Caucasian), Adult- Charismatic, Snob, Evil, Klepto, Loner
LTW: He wants to become The Emperor of Evil.
I think of him as the leader of their ruffian gang.

Eli Washington (has dark skin), Adult- Athletic, Unlucky, Frugal, Klepto, Easily Impressed
LTW: Perfect Mind, Perfect Body (Max out logic + athletic).

Teddy Ugoloth (looks like an Indian goth, but his favorite color is yellow ), YA- Athletic, Evil, Mean-spirited, No Sense of Humor, Klepto
LTW: Become Emperor of Evil
Teddy is the only sim in the household to have a tattoo; his whole entire body is covered with them. :P

The slave is a YA named Pixie Dust- surprisingly, her entire wardrobe matches (bluish theme). I didn't change much about her except for her traits and LTW; for a randomized sim, she looks really nice.

Pixie Dust is: Brave, Neat, Handy, Great Kisser (to romance the baddies), and Friendly.
Her LTW is to become an Astronaut, which is part of the Military Career.

Hopefully I'll be able to go through with this challenge.
Test Subject
#22 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 4:57 PM
I'm not exactly doing it by all the rules but I'm doing a story based on or more inspired by this challenge. Please check it out http://amongthievesbyaddykat.blogspot.com/
Alchemist
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Sep 2011 at 8:24 AM
zaya, I read the first chapter - you've set it up nicely. I'll keep reading.

moonlight frog, have fun with Pixie Dust!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th Sep 2011 at 3:31 AM
Zaya, your story is going very well! You've made the challenge guidelines work for you.
Test Subject
#25 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 5:43 AM
Okay, I have a question.

I played this through already with a male slave, female thieves, and didn't run into this particular problem, but when I started up the female slave, male thieves, apparently I picked a group of terminally stupid and unlucky guys for my Sim to get kidnapped by.

Here's what happened: On the second day, three of the thieves got rounded up and arrested. I assumed in this case that she'd have to cool her heels in the lockdown room for the standard 48 hours since it was all one arrest incident, and got cracking on that.

Then, the next day, two more thieves got arrested, while she was still in lockdown.

So, my question is this: If the slave is in lockdown when the thieves are arrested, do they extend his or her stay in the holding cell, or do they assume that since he or she was locked up, it must have just been bad luck? Or does it maybe depend on if the arrested thief/thieves are mean-spirited and/or evil? (something I considered).

I kind of split it down the middle for what I did: The slave got put back in lockdown while the thieves were off the lot, and she had to go in while they slept, but they let her out while someone was there and awake to supervise, for the extended period after the original lockdown.
Page 1 of 2