Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 2:07 PM
Default A question about filenames
I didn't know where to post my question (because it's about package - doesn't matter, recolors or meshes- filenames), so I'll try here.

1) Some files in my Downloads folder (they're definitely not from MTS) have filenames like for example: "6d0e7808b34039ba1hfd0e64e4f7c1a2_0004". The package could be either recolor or mesh.
I've done recoloring with SimPE and BodyShop and the program always asks me to give a filename and I always write something descriptive (not a "6d0e7808b34039ba1hfd0e64e4f7c1a2_0004").
My question so is - how this could have happened (I guess it happens somehow automatic) and why the author doesn't change the name after finishing the package? Could it be that these files have some problem/ are corrupted? (but actually I've had them for long time in my Downloads without problems)

2) After installing some lots from one site there were files in my folder which had the extension ".package.package" or ".package.package.package" etc.
I think it's somehow related to that that these files were packaged with a lot. I deleted the extra ".package" in the filename and it turned out that there were already files with the same names in my Downloads folder but without the extra ending.
Question - how these ".package.package" occurred, should I remove them from the filenames and again is there something bad happened to the files?
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 7:39 PM
Filenames that are gibberish like that are from the game installer, it is what happens to content that is inside a sims2pack that you install. You probably got a bunch of recolors/meshes when you installed a lot.

Some may be duplicates of something you already have that has a proper name. Personally I would delete any without proper names, but the choice is yours. The double/triple .package seem to usually work fine, and appears to be an oddity when installing with the installer. I have had some that weren't installed with the installer and I just delete the extra .packages.

The best way to avoid gibberish names would be to use the Clean Installer and selectively install the lot and whichever content inside the lot you want. Chances are you have content that tagged along with the lot that you don't want.

http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

And you might want to look around the forum thread for help with that.

http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=441

To organize and clean out duplicates in your current downloads, you may want to look at Delphy's Download Organizer.

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...nload_Organiser
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Nov 2009 at 3:50 PM
Thank you for your reply!

This program is exactly what I needed - it would take me ages to sort it all by myself!