Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:28 PM
Default is anyone hoping they'll bring back sliders..
and scrap the 'playdough' idea ? i feel alone. what if it's incredibly challenging to even make the sim look the way you want, much less make a really particular celebrity sim.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:32 PM
Just as with the new build mode tools, I hope that the old style is still available along with the new. Dragging "like clay" may be fun and may work for most sims, but to get real precision we need to be able to adjust specific elements at specific levels, and clicking and dragging won't offer that.
Instructor
#3 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:32 PM
I don't have an opinion at this time, I am waiting to here what the sims players that are at Gamescon say about how easy the tool is to use. If it works well it could be so much better then sliders, if it doesn't yeah it could be a huge pain.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:33 PM
i really feel like the old sliders won't be available, unfortunately.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:40 PM
I want the sliders as well as the push and pull modes. I am not an artist but think I can get the hang of molding, might use the sliders first to get things started and the molding for tweaking.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:42 PM
I really, really want sliders too. I hope it's done something like the tools in Poser/DAZ for posing - you can grab a part and if you drag left-right it does one thing, drag up down it does another, plus you have two more adjustments dragging left/right and up/down if you right click. AND those adjustments have a numerical input and a dial that works rather like a slider as well. Different ways of manipulating the same stuff, depending on your need for precision or preferences in the way you want to work.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:46 PM
I'm in the "Why not both" category. Especially for build mode. Why do a complete overhaul of something people have been using for well over a decade? Sliders + clay modeling are great. Hell, add input measurements for finer details that can't be achieved by hand, just like hex values in CAS.

While it may or may not be intuitive, the game is composed of numbers - take advantage of them.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#8 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:55 PM
Wont really know how challenging it is until we get some reviews. I'll reserve judgement until then.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Forum Resident
#9 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:15 PM
I'll be interested to see if the same creators who made fantastic sims with sliders will be good with the new method and if people who weren't good with sliders will still be poor with sculpting or if people who are good with one will be poor with another. Either way, for those familiar with the sliders, it's an entirely new method to sort of "start over" with. Like moving from DOS to Windows.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:19 PM
i think that the push and pull method would have been great for just changing body shape. initially i thought that was what it was for.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:42 PM
Yeah, maybe I'm crazy, but I also want/hope for more conventional sliders to remain as an alternative, or to fine tune certain adjustments.

I don't think the ability to create likenesses necessarily has to do with "skill" with sliders more than having good visual judgement.

There are sliders now that alter features apart from simple location - nose definition probably being the best example, I wonder how these effects can be reproduced with the new system. We've seen so little of CAS, so it's hard to make a final judgement. Hopefully they show more on Thursday.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:47 PM
even with good visual judgement, whether the new system is harder for you will make it more difficult. regardless of judgement or talent.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:58 PM
But I was agreeing with you. I want sliders too! I'm scared that the "push and pull" will lack the precision that I want. I was referring to the comment above, simply saying that creating a likeness is a skill within itself.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:00 PM
Same as others have said, it depends on how the tool feels. If it's too finicky, too difficult to shape the sims then I'd prefer sliders, but it does look like it could be really interesting. I actually like the idea of yanking on various body parts to get them just how I want.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:07 PM
I think I would prefer the option for sliders as well. To me it seems like the moulding feature is more of a gimmick to make it seem all high tech and awesome looking but it's just sliders repackaged and may possibly be harder to work with. I know the moulding is definitely not going to be as detailed as I want it to be. But yes I also know I shouldn't jump to conclusions on it yet without trying it!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:15 PM
i could only think of recreating nicki minaj's ass that way lol
Scholar
#17 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:38 AM
I won't miss the sliders if they are not included, the push/pull/playdough way is a nice idea, and if you want precision, just zoom right in, the less UI cluttering up areas the better, and hopefully one day there will no UI.
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:50 AM
All depends on the implementation. Based on the vid, though, I am pretty sure it is not pure playdough... otherwise the nose would stop looking like a nose pretty quick when you dragged it, if what you are manipulating is pure geometry. I suspect that HP is right and that is just sliders with a different interface.
Theorist
#19 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 3:23 AM
According to this article:

Quote:
The new Create-a-Sim tools are remarkably tactile. Compared to molding clay, you can directly shape Sims' faces and any part of their body with direct manipulation.

Facial archetypes with different underlying bone structures, as well as walking styles are introduced, providing heightened customisation and personality, while in-depth sliders and toggles are still available for extreme fine tuning.

"All the depth and power of the Sims tools are here too – you can get into detail mode on specific parts of the Sims body, and really fine tune it to be exactly how you want it to be."

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#20 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 11:58 AM
Sliders + the 'sculpting' tool, I think the sculpting tool would only be interesting for making all kind of body shapes.
Test Subject
#21 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 1:33 PM
I actually wouldn't mind trying out the sculpting tool, being a fan of 3D modelling... only this will be in its simplest form.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:08 PM
This is definitely a game where a mouse will need to be used, because I suck at molding with a touch pad.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:11 PM
From the other thread where Lovcat has collected tweets from Gamescom, Edenstyle mentioned, "In #thesims4 There are no sliders.However, you can start with base bodies, noses, faces and so on and then shape starting from there." But that appears to be at odds with the above article. Hmm. O__O
Instructor
#24 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:47 PM
The thing I like about the slider...since Twallan add a numeric indicator on it, I can easily replicate body shape from one sims to another.