Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#6976 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 9:12 AM
And electronic equipment could just be modded to be impaireable (unrepairable?). That way player would be force to repurchase or there could be an interaction that upon clicking replaces it with money (I believe that as well exists in vanilla TS4).
Advertisement
Theorist
#6977 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 10:08 AM
I really like this idea and I think as of now since no mod exists, what I might do is have a list of various things that would break and need replaced. Then at the beginnin of each play session for that lot roll a die to see if something breaks or they get to go another day with all their money. If something does break use the die again to pick a list # .. or some such.

I might even add in things such as needin to do house repairs.... so the possibilities are limitless to the misery to be caused ... lol. I suppose though I should balance it out a bit in allowin some good things on the list, but only a few.... my mind is offf and thinkin again ... lol.

List would read somethin like

1. Kids jumped on the bed 1 too many times. Springs poking through. Need to replace kids bed.
2. Found bits of wood shavings near the wall. Inspector came and found termites. Need to have whole house tented.
3. Put one to many things on the bookshelf. Watched as the shelves caved in dumping all the stuff on the floor. Trip to the store is needed for new bookcase.
Mad Poster
#6978 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 11:10 AM
It's an interesting idea. I was planning to force my orphanage to need to replace their fridge, stove and dishwasher at some point to simulate them being worn and broken. Would indeed be neat to have it happen organically, though the amount of modding needed to make it happen is pretty insane xD

I will probably give it a go at some point in the future, though if anyone else feels like doing it please do, it'll be ages before I get to it.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6979 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 4:06 PM
The bed was supposed to naturally break in game btw, and part of the modding is already done for it It was one of maxis "we started it but didn't complete it" things.

Also the one who mentioned wanting a workout option for the mp3 player? if you will pm me, I almost have a copy ready for testing Well, technically it works I just want to tweak it a bit. so another day or two. I just need a tester to see if what annoys me, annoys anyone else, or if there is something that annoys everyone else, that doesn't annoy me :D

Anyone else who wants to test, preferably someone who has a university AGS, I would be thrilled to pieces
Mad Poster
#6980 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
I really like this idea and I think as of now since no mod exists, what I might do is have a list of various things that would break and need replaced. Then at the beginnin of each play session for that lot roll a die to see if something breaks or they get to go another day with all their money. If something does break use the die again to pick a list # .. or some such.

I might even add in things such as needin to do house repairs.... so the possibilities are limitless to the misery to be caused ... lol. I suppose though I should balance it out a bit in allowin some good things on the list, but only a few.... my mind is offf and thinkin again ... lol.

List would read somethin like

1. Kids jumped on the bed 1 too many times. Springs poking through. Need to replace kids bed.
2. Found bits of wood shavings near the wall. Inspector came and found termites. Need to have whole house tented.
3. Put one to many things on the bookshelf. Watched as the shelves caved in dumping all the stuff on the floor. Trip to the store is needed for new bookcase.

That is actually such a good idea! You might even start a thread and let us all contribute. Then we could have a list for everyone. Someone might include things others wouldn't think of.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6981 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 4:34 PM
The real question, is how do we go about it?

Do we have a few cheap things that break? Perhaps a check, and when the depreciation value goes as far as it can, there is a random chance of breakage? And would it be easier to have a few custom things made that have it built in, or what? We could have the "things that break" collection.

It would require adding a second state to these objects as well. We could just make it where if they are in their second state, it can't be interacted with, except perhaps a replace option. Then it replaces with a new version and costs you money.
just a girl
#6982 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 4:46 PM
It won't be too hard to turn objects into trash like pets do or to make breakable objects unrepairable, say, based on their age, because all repairs are controlled by one controller. To break unbreakable objects is harder if you want special effects, interactions, repairing animations and all that. To make them just unusable is easier.
The whole "decayed house" theme inspires me and I have a lot of ideas about it, like wall and floor cracks that need repair. But it'll be ages too Too many ideas, too little time
Theorist
#6983 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 5:19 PM
I am no modder by any means so don't know if this would work, but maybe we're thinkin about this the wrong way. What if, instead of makin the item actually break and look it just disappears and you get a pop up tellin you why. If an animation was needed to show it disappearin then the could the one for .. umm.... well either actually, the one for when someone brings you an item on an awesome date or the thief one when he steals somethin.

The only thing is that wouldn't work for build items and I like the idea of needed to replace walls, windows, or to have to repaint, tile .. whatever home repair needs done.
Lab Assistant
#6984 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 5:34 PM Last edited by leontinees : 20th Jul 2019 at 10:58 AM.
I don't know if this already exists or not, but... after almost a week looking for it and not finding it, I'm going to risk and bet it does not. A mod/hack/cc/whatever that recognizes more family relationships in the CAS!

Sometimes I wanted to try a family with just the funny gramps, the lovable granny and the annoyingly adorable children. Maybe even the moody rebel teenager? You can guess I had to kill the poor parents off because grand-ties aren't recognized in CAS...
Test Subject
#6985 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sketching
Chris Hatch at BAS had mods to restrict all spawned NPCs and townies to various genders with versions for no elders. I haven't signed in on there for a while, so I don't know if they're still there. I'll attach it for you just in case since the site will be closing down anyway. The descriptions are in the folder.

Does somebody have experience using this? I'm very interested (mostly because of these) but I'd like to know exactly what NPCs does this have an affect and is there NPCs that might get broken with this? I know that repairmans spawn as elders but who else, gypsies and private school headmasters (or is he an adult)? Sorry for a shitload of questions I don't really care about elder townies as my hood is running with minimal amount of townies anyway.
Forum Resident
#6986 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:24 PM
Is there a hack that allows you to fish in the ocean (beach lot)?
Forum Resident
#6987 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:33 PM
There's the invisible fishing pond, which you can place in the ocean.

The original: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=231324
iCad's version with autonomy: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...e-by-netmicro-a

You can only use one of those; I like iCad's as it's closer to how sims behave with the existing ponds. My fishermen have a couple of them placed along the dock on their lot.
Forum Resident
#6988 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:45 PM
@stitching thank you so much! I kept looking around and it seemed like only sims 3 had this sort of feature so I thought such a thing didn't exist. Silly me~
Mad Poster
#6989 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
The real question, is how do we go about it?

Do we have a few cheap things that break? Perhaps a check, and when the depreciation value goes as far as it can, there is a random chance of breakage? And would it be easier to have a few custom things made that have it built in, or what? We could have the "things that break" collection.

It would require adding a second state to these objects as well. We could just make it where if they are in their second state, it can't be interacted with, except perhaps a replace option. Then it replaces with a new version and costs you money.

Well I was going to add an attribute, get init to set attribute to X number of days, and get main to subtract one every time clock strikes X, and when it reaches zero set price of object to zero. Then get all the guardians for interactions check if attribute is 0 and if it is zero then don't allow the interaction. Maybe toss in a random roll when main reaches 0 to see if it should break, and if not add one so it tries again tomorrow.

Hence the oh boy lots of modding, since it would have to involve all the guardians and stuff. I'm sure there may be easier ways to go about it, but that's the method my brain thought about.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6990 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:55 PM
Well that is similar to what I was thinking too. I was just going to have it do a change of state if it chooses break, then have the only option be to replace or clean up when that happens. It can be a pile of trash like Lamare suggested, or something like broken shelves on bookcase or smoke and door ajar on say, dishwasher or oven or tv. It would be funny if the bed broke and the sims jumped out of bed. And the mattress was split in two.
Theorist
#6991 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 6:59 PM
I find houses with tiny porches a real problem with routing, mainly it's the paperboy/girl and Mr. Grumblepants. I would love to see a 2 tile object so we can choose where to place items, invisible recolor would probably be best, for them to place their items. Since the paper is often delivered with hobby magazines and Grumble often shows up at the same time as the paper, the 2 tile would work best. It would have been better if Maxis made the paper delivery sim ride a bicycle and toss it in the front yard. Used to play a game called Paperboy, ahh, brings back memories. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
just a girl
#6992 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 7:57 PM
I'd do everything through controller object without tons of global overrides. You can do almost anything with objects remotely.
Mad Poster
#6993 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 8:19 PM
I imagined something like the object depreciation. When it reaches below 0, the next time someone attempts to use the object, it breaks apart similar to when pets destroy the furniture. Expensive objects would take longer to depreciate.

Personally I'd pass on the bookshelves for the worry that it would end up eating custom novels.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6994 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 8:52 PM
oh good point on the custom books! that is what we need, the ability to order your custom books on line.
Mad Poster
#6995 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 9:00 PM
Newspaper need to be more useful instead of turning out "pointless trash" that is being littered with by the journalism agencies in every household. All my sims now found a job, I don't keep track on the weather news reports and I rather have sims gain logic through many other effective ways, such as from a chess table.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6996 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 9:16 PM
would be nice to offer a clip coupons option, that when you go shopping, it reduces your grocery bill.
Mad Poster
#6997 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 10:30 PM
I mentioned a while ago stuff that kids jump on breaking up like when pets chew it in this thread. I don't remember what the conclusion of that discussion was. Be nice if parents could lecture kids for jumping on furniture, too. (And adults, in the case of those pleasure sims who jump on sofas.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Instructor
#6998 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Epi7
Does somebody have experience using this? I'm very interested (mostly because of these) but I'd like to know exactly what NPCs does this have an affect and is there NPCs that might get broken with this? I know that repairmans spawn as elders but who else, matchmakers and private school headmasters (or is he an adult)? Sorry for a shitload of questions I don't really care about elder townies as my hood is running with minimal amount of townies anyway.

I'd like to know this too. As far as headmasters go, I know they can spawn as either adults or elders. Same for college professors. As far as I know, NPCs that only spawn as elders (aside from what you already mentioned) are butlers, nannies, and dorm cooks.

Speaking of butlers... because I don't use them, I'd really love a mod to squash the annoying "hire a butler" want.
Mad Poster
#6999 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amalia81

There are those paintings that tell sims that certain items are already bought, so that the buy X wants are stopped. Maybe it could be extended to make sims think that they already have a butler.
Mad Poster
#7000 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 1:38 PM
Don't the want-fulfilling paintings work by being categorized as the object in the want, though?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 280 of 577