Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 5:34 PM
Default Algorithm used to decide chess victories?
Does anyone know how the game decides chess victories- chess, and anything else, really, martial arts sparring? I had a chess lvl 7 vs. a lvl 2. The level 2 won the game. I realize it's not reality, but c'mon.

It's the same w/ martial arts. That sparring king does nothing to increase chances of winning seeing as my Sim loses just as much as they used to. Even w/ the "luck" and "disciplined" traits. And a high athletic skill.

I'm just curious. There's no way to tweak it with NRaas. Thanks for any info. It's appreciated.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 2:33 PM
I'm just bumping this thread up in case someone has an answer. I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Michael Bachelor who had a logic level of 7 was beat in a ranked chess match by Irene Funke who had a logic level of 2. Maybe it's really just random?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 3:32 PM
I don't have the definitive answer except to say that Chess is a hidden skill. That's the one that should be examined (by way of NRaas MasterController), not Logic, when two sims are competing against each other.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 12:10 AM Last edited by ejnarts1 : 29th Sep 2018 at 6:45 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I don't have the definitive answer except to say that Chess is a hidden skill. That's the one that should be examined (by way of NRaas MasterController), not Logic, when two sims are competing against each other.

Thanks, both. And those are the skills I was referring to. I used NRaas to find both their "hidden chess" skills (2 & 7) and the victory happened. Their logic levels are also approximate.
Site Helper
#5 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 3:12 PM
Were their moods and motives the same? I noticed that even a lucky sim is more likely to have bad things happen when they have low motives or a bad mood (which can be caused by low motives) and my unlucky, loser sim was able to win games if he was in a good mood and had all his motives in excellent condition.
(I still think it's a bit ironic that a neurotic sim is easy to keep happy.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 6:31 AM
Yup. Mood was fine. In the green about 1/3 filled in the upper portion. Wouldn't think there was an issue. There were no negative moodlets. It has to be more than just RNG, right.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 4:33 PM
My understanding is that Chess is a hidden skill of 10 levels, leveling this skill only occurs at a chess table, not by playing chess on a PC. You are more likely, (but not guaranteed) to beat an opponent if they are a lower level.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TwistedSmiley
My understanding is that Chess is a hidden skill of 10 levels, leveling this skill only occurs at a chess table, not by playing chess on a PC. You are more likely, (but not guaranteed) to beat an opponent if they are a lower level.

The skill levels I mentioned were the hidden chess skill 7 vs. 2. The 2 won. Still very curious how.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 9:11 AM
Originally Posted by TwistedSmiley

The skill levels I mentioned were the hidden chess skill 7 vs. 2. The 2 won. Still very curious how.

Sorry, I don't think I stated that clearly... The winner is decided by a RNG, but weighted by the hidden chess skill, and also the lucky trait i believe.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 10:14 AM
Then that must have been a really lucky roll by the RNGesus. It really seems that RNG really isn't very random in these cases, though. Thanks.
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 8:49 AM Last edited by PuddingFace : 3rd Oct 2018 at 9:24 AM.
I don't know about chess but I have looked at Martial arts and spell casting duel interaction code. The interaction has a scoring like feature with random rock paper scissor like scoring. Except it's not just one rock paper scissor but several times and in the end the one with the highest score wins. You can see this in the animation too. The one who loses once gets hit by the spell or the kick or punch and in the end the one who gets hit the most loses. Higher skill decreases your chance of being hit but in the end it's luck based so the less skilled one can beat the high skilled one but the high skilled one is more likely to win.
I imagine chess is also like that. Having a higher skill level in the hidden chess skill or logic skill increases your probablity of winning but the less skilled can still beat you. That's probably how it is.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 3:30 AM
Thank you. I have a feeling they didn't spend a lot of time on the algorithm, lol. I suppose I'll just keep crossing my fingers before I click the interaction(s) =) Much appreciated, Pudding...