Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 2:49 PM Last edited by Emperor Crat : 8th Mar 2017 at 6:58 PM.
Default Corruption Horror Stories
What are your tales of corruption? Back when I just left TS4, I moved occupied lots to the bin, put tombstones on ofb shelves, and used boolprop. This lead to missing toddlers, etc. Then once I accidentally moved a lot with Sims to the bin, and kids somehow developed fortune ltw's. Then once, I messed around with a hood, so every sim was missing character data. I was such a noob...
So gather round the camp big fiery ball visible from space, and share your tales of sinking pets and missing character data...
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 3:05 PM Last edited by *_Drew~ : 7th Mar 2017 at 5:28 PM.
Well, some weeks ago I was playing with a family from "The Beginning of River Blossom" and one of the Sims was pregnant. Since there's no way of determinate the genre before giving birth, I usually save 2-3 secs before the pop up. This time I was quick enough to save in the moment of the pop up showing up, so I had to exit the lot ('cause the kid was a female and I needed a female). The following time I'd enter the lost, the pop up would be there and a baby would have been born... BUT! I couldn't edit the kid, give a name, or find him/her in the lot because the Sim would be resetted.
I had to move temporarily her husband on another lot, invite her to move in and then give birth to the kid.

Another time I added the Grim Reaper to a family by mistake and even though the game was fine, in the neighborhood screen I could choose to play in his family. I was so afraid of getting the nighborhood corrupted... Luckily, I remembered that I could just remove him from the household using SimPE :D
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 3:34 PM
I'm not certain it's corruption, but the time my pregnant adult had converted to a child in the games eyes was pretty bizarre. She had her legs bent so she'd be the right height for a child, though she continued to be pregnant.

Other than that corruption mainly seems to cause crashes for me.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 3:52 PM
The worst corruption I ever had was my long lamented Amelia Island. I had been playing that hood exclusively for a looon time when suddenly it just disappeared. Poof! Swallowed up by the sea I suppose.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#5 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 4:18 PM
Vidcund Curious' newborn alien twins went missing. Just disappeared from my game, not even to be found in SimPE. It was the fastest corruption I've ever seen, and the reason why I switched to meetme2river's neighborhoods. Those poor babies...

On a funnier note, this was really early, before we all knew to make our objects.package read-only. Two of the blond beards got wonky. The giant Santa beard was just invisible and I didn't care about it, but Loki Beaker's beard would cycle through all the colors of the rainbow. Suddenly I loved Loki. I mean, sure, he's evil, but he has a rainbow beard! When custom paintings for the easel were included, the Loki beard was one of the pictures I used and it's still in my game. My sims can paint him, Pascal's first alien daughter, Lyla Grunt and way too many pictures of a student dating the Cow mascot.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
Vidcund Curious' newborn alien twins went missing. Just disappeared from my game, not even to be found in SimPE. It was the fastest corruption I've ever seen, and the reason why I switched to meetme2river's neighborhoods. Those poor babies...

On a funnier note, this was really early, before we all knew to make our objects.package read-only. Two of the blond beards got wonky. The giant Santa beard was just invisible and I didn't care about it, but Loki Beaker's beard would cycle through all the colors of the rainbow. Suddenly I loved Loki. I mean, sure, he's evil, but he has a rainbow beard! When custom paintings for the easel were included, the Loki beard was one of the pictures I used and it's still in my game. My sims can paint him, Pascal's first alien daughter, Lyla Grunt and way too many pictures of a student dating the Cow mascot.

How DO you make your objects.package read only anyways, I tried but got confused with which files to change.
Link Ninja
#7 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 7:39 PM
My hood is still alive but here are some corruptions that have happened in it:

-2 sims accidentally have gotten pushed into the lot bin on an occupied lot and have returned with amnesia.
-2 sims disappeared out of nowhere (different than above) and have since remained AWOL. Their families forgot they existed and were replaced with some randos on the family tree which were later fixed up with Sim Blender
-Before I knew about the sim trash bin being a no-no, I put a glitchy baby and his sim-host (the baby was a chest parasite and wouldn't stop attaching itself to it's holder's chest) into it.
-A few lots have mysteriously frozen up so I can't get into them. I've had to move the family out into the sim bin and give them insurance money to go buy a new home.
-Some community lots mysteriously have disappeared out my hood after I had gone in to edit the look in build mode - so now I make sure to put copies in the lot bin after editing.
-Some sims have gotten random death flags and I have to go into SimPE to get them alive again.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 8:55 PM
Don't save the game with very little hard drive space. I lost an entire hood that way. Half the character files shredded, missing relationships and memories everywhere, last backup was six months old.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emperor Crat
How DO you make your objects.package read only anyways, I tried but got confused with which files to change.

Just right-click on it, choose Properties and click the 'read only' box.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 9:29 PM
Certain night, playing with one of my old 'hoods, I was sleepy and tried to move a family from the lot they are in.

I mistake the "Move Family" button for the "Move Lot to Bin" one, the rest you can guess...
Scholar
#11 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 10:53 PM
Big fiery ball visible from space is definitely a thing... Years ago my Pleasantview was doomed. One day I quit the game and everything seemed fine, but then I loaded it the next day and sims disappeared from lots. After creating a new sim in CAS I could summon them with Insimenator, and they all were in the “default” household, with broken aspirations and no memories (or they had just the default ones like townies, I don’t remember that well), and they were regarded by the game as adult males. I also could summon Strangetown ghosts in other hoods than Strangetown (which means that their files somehow ended up in the Downloads folder, or some other strange thing happened). I’ve definitely done plenty of bad things then, especially given that I liked messing around with special NPCs (well to be honest I still like it but I’m trying to suppress myself I also set the objects.package as read only) and I didn’t know much about corruption until quite recently. I never played anywhere for very long in the past, so I didn’t get an opportunity to see corruption signs, until Pleasantview. I lost my favourite family with gateless fence square with a cowplant inside and a cemetery comparable to Olive Specter’s I’m not sure if I could repeat that though, now I seem to like the townies after a makeover too much to just let them get eaten.

As for more recently, my Pleasantview is definitely corrupted again, because I started it before I read about corruption and I’ve done things I shouldn’t have done, but it’s still playable and I haven’t noticed anything wrong there so far, but sooner or later something will surely happen. I also worry about my Strangetown I started not so long ago. I probably should’ve used a clean template, but I decided to use the Maxis original hood to start. Call me weird, but there’s something fascinating about those broken things, like Melissa Sims being an adult male, Knut Futa being a baby, broken face templates, the hidden power aspiration... But anyway, the thing that worried me the most was that Ichabod Specter disappeared, but that was clearly my own fault – after messing around with his files I completely forgot to check the results and in case of something being wrong restore the backup I made before, and I discovered his disappearance some time later when it was too late to restore without losing a lot of progress. I cleaned all the leftovers with Hood Checker and SimPE, so I hope it’s pretty much fine now. He’s already recreated as a new sim from CAS and I plan to keep him alive.
Other things that worried me was Jenny Smith getting a want to befriend herself, but I didn’t notice any other weird wants so maybe it was a one time bug and not corruption, and another one was a picture of a waiter with empty face. I edited his appearance with Insimenator (I do that a lot with townies and NPCs), and then his face in the picture shows as empty. I haven’t checked if he’s fine in game, as I noticed that picture later on a different lot.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Forum Resident
#12 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 10:56 PM
I used deleteallcharacters on Strangetown, (back in the days when it was believed you could safely use that cheat if nothing higher than OFB was installed), spent 10 or 12 hours remodeling the houses and creating new families to live there. Saved, closed game. Reloaded game the next day, and the neighborhood was GONE. Oh, its folders and files were still there in the Finder, but not showing up in the game. I was so disappointed. I hadn't even gotten to play any of the families.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#13 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 11:08 PM
Oh my Sims neighborhood was most certainly corrupt, my Sims would walk pass another Sims home lot, with furniture attach to their head.
That happen when I first started playing the Sims, and me not knowing what not to do, the main "Culprit" that set it all into action was the "Old Bag Mrs. Crumplebottom."
( Don't ever mess with her out of her normal game play ) She killed my whole game to the point that the reaper was no where to be found. My game was dead and gone.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
I used deleteallcharacters on Strangetown, (back in the days when it was believed you could safely use that cheat if nothing higher than OFB was installed), spent 10 or 12 hours remodeling the houses and creating new families to live there. Saved, closed game. Reloaded game the next day, and the neighborhood was GONE. Oh, its folders and files were still there in the Finder, but not showing up in the game. I was so disappointed. I hadn't even gotten to play any of the families.

Something similar happened to me once with one of my hoods. Files there-neighborhood not...
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 1:16 AM
When Pleasantview went down the toilet some years ago, I had missing sims and multiple clones of sims. Numerous other things probably but I seem to have erased them from my memory, hoping they'll never return.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 1:22 AM
I started playing a new 'hood. Two CAS-created Sims with the medium-dark skin had a light skinned baby which I thought was odd. Checked the family tree and... Mrs. Crumplebottom was the father! Immediately quit because I was afraid the corruption would spread to my other 'hoods. Uninstalled, reinstalled, and made sure those object files were read-only this time.

No clue what caused it. I don't mess around with the object characters. Back in the day, before I knew better, I did bad things like moving an occupied lot to the bin and deleting Sims. Didn't stick with those neighborhoods long enough to see any corruption, though.
Scholar
#17 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 1:50 AM
I have never had any of these things happen to me. I even added, Grim, Therapist, 2 Hula Zombies, RC Car, and Crumplebottom to a house and had them living in the same house AND THE HOUSE STILL LOADED. The 'hood itself just had minor problems, like blank Aspiration spaces, blank thought and speech bubbles, and a few quirky things here and there. I have never had missing Sims or families...until recently and I deleted the 'hood for safety (It was a custom 'hood that I don't think was done properly anyway).

My worst corruption was more a malfunction where I aged up a baby with InSIM and no matter what age I put him at, he internally remained a baby. I had Social Services take him away and a random CAS Sim adopt him and then I Sim Binned them and deleted them. Yeah, I know that's bad but that guy freaked me out. He wouldn't age up or die because infants can't die. I still have that Strangetown. It's 4 years old and is running just fine.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 3:13 AM
Back in the days Before I Knew Better, I was a pretty hardcore tombstone deleter. Fortunately I never experienced any major issues, other than the occasional empty want slot, crashing, the infamous 'jagged lines' thought-bubble and that one time I had a toddler with a want to have her first kiss, which was quite disturbing, and the recollection of which has now probably got me added to a list somewhere.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 4:08 AM Last edited by gazania : 16th Mar 2017 at 3:15 AM.
You're asking the wrong person here. If I listed all my horror stories, this would be a very long post! Some of mine are odd, though, and while I'm positive I wasn't the first to find them, was probably one of the first few ones who did. Here are some samples:

1. My first corruption was pretty standard. I deleted Sims from the Sim Bin. If I didn't like a skintone, I'd just delete the Sim. That caused the $Subject notation in the memories. My Sims disappeared, and new ones replaced their character ID. If Character #353 disappeared, the next baby would be #353. so there was no restoring the original. Entire households disappeared, leaving empty houses.

2. I was testing a geneticized eye set, but didn't like it. I got rid of it literally within an hour after testing it in my game. Too late. My Sim baby wound up with really strange green glassy eyes. I never noticed it until she was an adult. When I packaged her to see what eye set she had and put the packaged Sim in another test hood, the hood kept crashing. One of her children wound up with Maxis eyes that I could not change with Sim PE. I have default eyes in my game. This Sim had lots of children, who had lots of children, so there might have been still more who had the strange eyes.That taught me to back up the game and use a test game EVERY time I try an eye set. Also, I try them in a junk hood. That's probably overkill, but with my reputation, I can never be too careful!

3. I had the honor of being one of the first people to find out that if you took your custom PT files out of a game to do a 50/50 test, your alien Sims' would find their alien parents missing from the family tree. I learned to always, always test on a COPY of the game.

4. I've already written what happened to me when I was using the Community College mod and suddenly had to reinstall M&G. But I'll recap anyway. All my Uni students were now adults, their UIs were blank, and I couldn't move them out of college or age them down. Every student, whether it was a Maxis or user-made Sim. I'm not sure whether that's technically corruption, but it might as well have been.

5. Then there was the time I used Rebecah's chickens while also using a frisky mod. My Sims were rolling needs to woohoo with the chickens, and there were floating male appendages over my Sims's heads. Of course, when I removed the animals, I corrupted the hoods. I had to reset or delete ALL my hoods for that one.

6. Some time back, before I had BV, I read that it was perfectly OK to make a vacation house in a subhood by taking your Sims to a community lot, changing the lot to residential, kicking out visiting Sims, enjoying the temporary summer house, then rezoning it back when you're done. Don't do that. Weird things started happening in my game, such as one of the dangerous NPCs visiting my community lot. This was one who SHOULDN'T have been out and about like that.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
5. Then there was the time I used Rebecah's chickens while also using a frisky mod. My Sims were rolling needs to woohoo with the chickens, and there were floating male appendages over my Sims's heads. Of course, when I removed the animals, I corrupted the hoods. I had to reset or delete ALL my hoods for that one.

I have to ask, which frisky mod? Because I have Rebecah's chickens and now I'm scared of floating male appendages. XD
Mad Poster
#21 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast

The hood probably relocated to be closer to the one I lost. If you see it, look for mine. kthnx :p

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#22 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 3:21 PM
Start the game one day, after years of playing, and the game loads fine, and all the other hoods are there - except your own, favourite custom one - it is gone, gone, gone? And it has not even crashed once before. Horror enough for you
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Start the game one day, after years of playing, and the game loads fine, and all the other hoods are there - except your own, favourite custom one - it is gone, gone, gone? And it has not even crashed once before. Horror enough for you

My condolences...
Forum Resident
#24 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
The hood probably relocated to be closer to the one I lost. If you see it, look for mine. kthnx :p

K, I'll see what I can do. It's been 8 years, though, so not lookin' good.:p
Scholar
#25 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 3:56 AM
I started playing with just the base game and Uni, and hubby got Double Deluxe. Then I decided I wanted vampires but didn't want to lose the progress I'd made in my game. It wouldn't let me install DD without first uninstalling the base game, so I saved to a thumb drive and started trying to get DD installed and my old game back. At one point, the only Sim I had at university was Jill Smith. This was weird, because in my game Jill had recently died of extreme old age. So I opened the house she was in, and found her looking like an old lady but walking around with bent knees. She was hungry, so I tried to get her to get some lunch, but she couldn't seem to interact with the fridge. Finally, after a few hours of Sim time, when poor Jill was desperately hungry, a Social Worker turned up to take her to an orphanage! So although she should have been dead, she was at college and looked like an old lady, and the game was reading her as a child!
Page 1 of 3