Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#2101 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 4:52 PM Last edited by gazania : 10th Jun 2017 at 8:33 PM.
I know what I want. I really, really do. The trick for me is to do it without putting enough CC in it to make a pamphlet! Also, check creator guidelines, etc. My goal is to keep it below a certain number. If I go over one or two, fine, but I'm trying to restrain myself a little. This is proving harder than I thought.

I realize, too, that I'm going to have to limit what I can put on this lot. It's a medium lot, after all. With all I'd like to do with it, I'd need a much larger lot.

Also, to make a layout that is pleasing to the eye and logical structural-wise. While the foundations and decks are nice, as AndrewGloria wrote, you can't get too structurally silly with the buildings. The building I'm trying to elevate is the one off the foundation, but three or four full floors on decking, other than a staircase, might look a little odd. So far, the best I've seen are two stories, but I will continue to research that. If I recall, however, beach houses sometimes go beyond two stories, yet they are on non-slab foundations. From what I'm seeing, though, that's uncommon.

(And I might be losing it, but I thought I read that the lattice OR the pole decking is fine ... and there you are, Post 2066! I knew I saw you!)

And thank you for your help, Phaenoh! I just wanted a fourth floor, so that's good!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2102 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 4:54 PM
I still don’t have a clear idea either, however some kind of park seems the most fitting. And it will be either in Moroccan or Moroccan-modern style as I’ll build it in my main game in Oasis Valley, which has most of its lots in that style. Family-friendly might be the most tricky part as I only send teens and up to community lots in my game. I would send children if they could walk alone, but it’s annoying they always need someone older, and I haven’t seen a working mod that lets them walk somewhere alone.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#2103 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 5:02 PM
Ah, yes ... something cool about Sims 3 ... you can let kids go to a park alone.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2104 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 5:59 PM
You know that WOULD be a cool mod....

I was thinking park too, maybe a mall.
Scholar
#2105 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 6:48 PM
Just to be sure, we can add separate foundations (not decking), like in previous rounds, but if we want to expand the existing ones, it can be done only with decking, right?

Simblr
Mad Poster
#2106 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 9:25 PM
That's what I understood.

My question: Jo, you said this lot is for "all the families in this new community". Does that mean all the families in the contest, or all the families we have personally built for (ie, in our new communities)?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2107 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 10:18 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 10th Jun 2017 at 10:43 PM.
@Voeille No adding separate foundation. You may add lattice or pole decking however and wherever you like though. Just don't replace the existing foundation with it.

@simsfreq Whatever you like. It just has to be a place for all ages to visit.

@CatherineTCJD That is even more extensive then our parenting room. Ours are normally located next to the male and female toilets, nothing is normally for sale unless it's in a vending machine, some do have nappies and wipes for sale that way. No attendant. The smallest ones would have just one of each item.

Since this is a medium lot I am only after a small parenting room.

base game lot added, thank you @AndrewGloria

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#2108 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 11:58 PM
Oh damn, didn't read that right. I've got a shell of sorts but used foundation. Luckily I used coloured floor to indicate the original. Never start building when you're tired.
Now to deconstruct and replace with decking, idiot.
Mad Poster
#2109 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 11:59 PM
Default Round 4 Play-Along Entry -- The Rodneys -- No CC

Front View
On Monday morning Lucinda Rodney and her husband Stefan moved into their new house in the village of Elswyn. The house was designed and built for them by the well-known Veronaville firm of Jones & Moltke Ltd., who employ me as their Honorary Chief Designer. ("Honorary" because they don't pay me!) It is quite the most sumptuous residence the firm has ever built. Very few of their clients have as deep pockets as the Rodneys! The Rodneys see their role in society is to host the most desirable parties in the neighbourhood, and the house is designed and built to this end. Most of the house's appearance is traditional Veronavillesque, but it also features large full height plate glass windows overlooking the pool. The Rodneys have named their house "Partie Thyme House".

Sorry to be so late. I was too easily distracted into playing the lot instead of posting!
I may come back to correct typos, but I won't change any pictures or anything substantial.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2110 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 12:04 AM
If you like you may totally hide my foundation inside your decking, so long as it's there on the foundation shot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#2111 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 5:13 AM
Discovering that a brick building does not look good on trellised decking. Disguise it (with plants) or go with a wooden building? Hmm.
So far I've only downloaded one item of cc...
Edit: make that three...
Mad Poster
#2112 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 6:08 AM
I was distracted by wanting to finish the skirt I've been working on (you can take out basting stitches and insert elastic while playing sims, but not so much when building), but I think I've made a reasonable start. The difficult part is coming up with reasons for the foundation being there at all! That single-tile-wide one is a puzzler.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#2113 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 7:28 AM Last edited by yavannatw : 11th Jun 2017 at 7:55 AM.
I've completely surrounded the foundation - they're absorbed into two buildings and the third is outdoors.
@joandsarah77 I'm wondering about the flirty/romantic requirement. That doesn't really equate to "family-friendly". Can you have spa pools and a dancing area with bar? Kids have to go home after dark (get the ol' nanny in so the parents can enjoy themselves). Or are you not permitted any after dark activities?
Mad Poster
#2114 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It can be owned or unowned.
I've just had a quick check round the 'hood to see how much cash on hand each household had. The richest in cash terms is Julianne Rhodes (the hippies' daughter). She has §19,484, mainly because her toy-boy schoolboy lover brought over §15K with him when he moved in. Julianne is the only one with enough funds to even buy the unimproved lot with just the foundations at §5,484. Her parents with §5,361 are the next richest. The Lamberts have §344! . . .Mine will be unowned!! The reason is the same as the reason why I don't usually build §80K houses -- no one can afford to buy them!

I think I'll go for some sort of park. I previously built the child-friendly 3x3 Venezia Park in Veronaville, so I've a little relevant experience. But catering for toddlers on a community lot is new to me. Though I've often wanted to take them there, the game won't let me. For testing purposes I suppose I could teleport them in, but I'd really like them to be able to ride in the taxi with their parents and siblings. Does anyone know of an alternative to the dickhurt mod to allow toddlers to travel to community lots. The trouble for me with his is that it requires Pets, and my highest EP is Open for Business. (I know I should really take this to WCIF, but the matter came up here, so I thought I'd ask here first.) I'm sure I once read that such a mod was possible with OFB, but I've never seen it since I got OFB myself.

P.S. Andrew and Julian say a park bench to make out on is "flirty" enough for them. We'll see what to do about that. I certainly don't expect my park to close at dusk!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2115 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:06 AM
A park bench to cuddle on or a dance floor can count as romantic/flirty if you point it out and have the setting for it. I don't know if a bench slap bang beside a main walkway or loud rock music is romantic, so set the scene.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#2116 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:18 AM
So no spa pool or bars, I take it? I'm also thinking of the fun requirement.

Edit: I suppose a photo booth is a bit naughty for family-friendly...?
Mad Poster
#2117 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
So no spa pool or bars, I take it? I'm also thinking of the fun requirement.

Edit: I suppose a photo booth is a bit naughty for family-friendly...?
I don't see why not. See William's post about child-friendly English pubs -- they certainly have bars. Many Sims want bars in their houses. It doesn't mean they don't want children.

See that dance floor in my entry for the Rodneys. I bet little Trevor Elliott, the keenest dancer in the neighbourhood, manages to get himself invited to one of their parties so he can dance there -- despite there being a bar beside it!

And I had my picture taken in photo booths when I was a child. They were new then.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Top Secret Researcher
#2118 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:37 AM
I'm thinking DJ, disco lighting, etc, (ie more of a nightclub) but I could always tone it down a bit, or use the space for something more educational.

The entries for this round will be so vastly different. It's going to be really interesting.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2119 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 10:41 AM
Well like I said, spin a tale,set the scene. I'm not saying your spa is or isn't romantic. I don't personally find a disco romantic, but it could be flirty. The photo booth is indeed both romantic(romantic pictures) and flirty (woohoo spot) but also family friendly since children can also get their photos taken in one. If you can spin something as flirty or romantic do so. The judges will judge if it is or not not me.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#2120 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 10:42 AM Last edited by whoward69 : 11th Jun 2017 at 11:05 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I'm thinking DJ, disco lighting, etc, (ie more of a nightclub).

Again, depends where in the world you live. A number of "late-night-venues" around here open at set times for teens (especially over the school holidays) and serve non-alcoholic drinks and turn the volume down and the lighting up - they act more as "discos" than night-clubs. Usually in collaboration with community ventures (so there are certified responsible adults on hand at all times)

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Mad Poster
#2121 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 10:46 AM
Well, the fermented fruit juice bar is, I guess, not the right thing to build for the last round Because kids should not see the judges getting plastered! Maybe another time then...
Instructor
#2122 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The photo booth is indeed ... flirty (woohoo spot)

And, should a baby result from the assignation ... it is the ultimate in "family friendly"

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Mad Poster
#2123 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:23 AM
Andrew, your building has really come along with this last lot! I love the landscaping. That garden is so pretty. And while the colour scheme is still eye popping, I think it works.

I'm tempted to redo my round 2 for another family before attempting the last lot...

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2124 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 1:41 PM
When I was a kid we used to go to daytime discos. Then in the evening the venue was an adult nightclub.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Scholar
#2125 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 6:04 PM
There’s still plenty to do, but I’m happy I got this and it suits the lot

I have sauna as a ‘flirty’ thing (after all it’s a woohoo place), maybe I’ll manage to stick a lone bench somewhere (I have plenty already but they’re in groups), and a photo booth. Now the problem isn’t money as we have unlimited budget, but space! I hope I won’t get routing problems.
But speaking about money, the fence I used on that bridge is a money eater really – 250 per unit.

Simblr

Page 85 of 106