Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 12th Nov 2017 at 8:48 PM
Replies: 36 (Who?), Viewed: 2647 times.
Page 2 of 2
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
staff: retired moderator
#26 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 10:53 AM
I really like the Retro house, @gazania . If you put moveobjects on you should be able to sledgehammer the top section of that chimney to get rid of it, and the fireplace will still function.
Mad Poster
#27 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 12:04 PM
I can't really see a problem with the chimney section on the top? It does not bother me in the least.

The wallpaper is fine, the game probably will not allow you to do anything about that.

I like the doors. And here where I live, you often see white window frames, but white doors - I don't think I have seen more than one. I have a very nice solid wooden front door myself, and white window frames. Besides, if it bothers any player, they can change the doors themselves.

The layout is great and the house is lovely, and I think it is good to go.

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 9:15 PM Last edited by gazania : 28th Oct 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Yeah, I wasn't clear there. Sorry! I WANT the chimney to poke out just a bit, per the original inspiration picture. It's that bit of brick chimney wall poking through the half-wall that is annoying me. I think it's the least obvious of my attempts, isn't really that conspicuous, and will probably keep it. If it's a problem, someone might want to use Huge Lunatic's download that allows you to recolor chimney sections, and recolor that tiny portion to a brown brick instead of a red brick. Then you'd barely notice it at all. I guess I could suggest that, if I can find that download.

Those back doors ... those freakin' doors. I know I WANT the Dutch doors because they make me smile, and bring back so many memories of my mother opening the top to let the breezes into the house. AC was only for the wealthy in our RL hood back then! But aesthetically, they don't go with that Linegud front door. You're right ... one option WOULD be to use just a plain or solid Maxis front door, and the heck with the inspiration picture! And .... two fewer CC items! I like that Linegud front door in front, though. Ugh.

To use a quote from a much-later song, "Did you ever have to make up your mind?" I'll give one more look-see in the Maxis catalog to see if any other front door will fit the bill.

More testing will be needed to make sure that my Sims don't become toasted if they light the fireplace and sit down for dinner. I think a few gameplay sessions might be in order. Now to kick people off the gaming computer! One plus is that if I sent this house out for upload, I can focus more on Naftali. I do believe this is the last time I try two simultaneous uploads at once! It's really not a good idea.

Speaking of Naftali, I kind of ... errr ... got carried away. The one section that is really galling me is those stairs in the lower left corner. You folks are right. If these stairs were up against a wall, they would look cute, but I wouldn't want to be the dorm student with metal stairs right against a metal dorm wall! The pounding could cause a headache. Right now, that section looks out of place. Maxis stairs WOULD work better. (See ... I was paying attention!). But ... but ... I prefer one of the country stairs. Those are also open on the bottom, and the railings match the banister. Problem is, the way the side deck is currently constructed, they won't fit.

So I did something about that side deck. It took a while, but I worked out a different layout there. Looks pretty good, IMO. Problem is now .... those ladder stairs on the second floor. I can't find anything to match, and a gray recolor is close, but not close enough, IMO. In this case, none of the Maxis stairs work right on the second floor because that space is pretty tight. I also noticed a problem on the third floor as a result of putting ANY stairs there. Yikes!

So ... I completely reconstructed large portions of the second and third floors. I mean, REALLY reconstructed them. Moved walls around, hid the ladder stairs and put them to the side. Got rid of sections of decking .... I think my students have enough places to hang out outside. The color variation is out of sight, out of mind ... and it works far better, IMO. This layout also shows the container layout better.

Only ... in my half-asleep state, I worked on the dorm in my GOOD game, not my prep game. And for reasons I won't go into, I can't package the lot in this game and plop it in my prep game. So .... I get to remember what on earth I did at 5 AM this morning (I kind of lost track of the time) and re-do it in the prep game. Sometimes, I'm oh so clever. Time to FRAPS away in the good game and take a whole lot of detailed pictures, especially up-close and overhead shots. This will take a while.

A really bad shot of Naftali at 5 AM. Grids, UI, missing ceiling ... sorry. This WAS at 5 AM! And while I always thought that Maxis marbly wallpaper was useless, it might work here. It matches with all the container colors. The stairs are tucked behind that marbly thing on the second floor. Testing is desperately needed for me to see if this thing will even route correctly ... that's how much I altered the walls and floors. Also, I need to fix lots of stuff. Those deco llamas were simply moved out of the way for the stairs.

Later, all. Much later.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 4:19 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 29th Oct 2017 at 7:52 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
I really like the Retro house, @gazania . If you put moveobjects on you should be able to sledgehammer the top section of that chimney to get rid of it, and the fireplace will still function.

Sure about that?
I once did that and the fireplace animations no longer worked. I think the snap, crackle and pop sound effects of fire burning where there, as I remember, but no flames animation.
And even if the fireplace still works as it should, chopping the top of it off will cause the smoke to waft unnaturally through the roof. I mean, it won't go straight up.
I think the top of the chimney is good as it is, since it hardly sticks out at all.

What bothers me more are the stonework half-walls around the back patio atop woodwork. Stonework or brickwork can never go atop woodwork, it just doesn't work in real life. Wood cannot support the immense weight of stone, brick and cement. It always needs to be the other way around - always.
Since the house sits on a foundation, I think the stonework should be the foundation all around the house, with the woodwork on top.
I also think that little ledge in the back yard next to the chimney would look better if it was woodwork instead of stone.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 7:32 AM Last edited by gazania : 29th Oct 2017 at 10:06 PM.
While the picture from which I'm working shows the solid paneled foundation you see here, I was considering whether I should make the the foundation stonework or cement a couple of times. Most houses of the period had cement or stone foundations ... they did not cover them with paneling (which I guess that was what the artist of the original drawing was trying to convey). At least I never saw it! I think I have to realize that the inspiration picture is an artist's rendering; not the real deal. Adding the stone or cement could also break up the solid brown on the front and side a little as well. (EDIT ... the stonework does look better ... thank you!)

I plan to leave the chimney as is, and (almost) as in the 60s-era house plan. People can better fix that bit if they choose, and it's really easy. I just did it in the test house in my good game. It just takes a couple of mods/CC, and you really, really have to squint to see that small flaw. However, that will be up to them. Since I remember ledges like the one I have, I'll leave it in for now as well.

Finally ... I found a front door I like. (CC) I think after some testing with the table and the fireplace to make sure my Sims don't flame up if they have a dinner by the fire, this lot many be ready for upload soon.

Concerning Naftali, I forgot that I don't have the mod that opens space under certain stairs in my prep game, so I don't have that version of the country stairs there. Oops.

As for the available stairs, the Holy Smoke steps don't go well with the ladder stairs, but the railings go better with the ones I currently have. I'm trying one of the Atomica stairs, which better match the ladder stairs on the second floor, but the railings are really different. For now, I've changed the railings to match that Atomica stairs. I will have to decide whether to match the black railings or try to match the style of the containers and the ladder stairs. I do wish that Maxis had more open stairs.

EDIT ... I decided on a spiral stair. Maxis has railings that match it well enough, and the dark gray concrete ladder stair would probably be just fine on the second floor. I'm now focusing more on interior design. Right now, things are a little matchy-matchy in some rooms, so I'm debating on how to break it up, yet have colors that are traditionally considered calming (blue, green, gray, teal), while putting in an accent or two of what some college building designers might consider artsy or edgy. There is a CC post near the stairs, though, so I need to see if any stompies develop because of it. It looks pretty nice with the containers.

Mad Poster
#31 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 5:16 PM
With technology and building materials, I think you can get pretty much any look. Building regulations here do not allow wooden houses or wooden material in general (except in some vacation spots and a couple of areas) So wood-look tiles and wood-look facial bricks are quite popular and many people use them. (eg pic of a porcelain tile floor attached).

So I tend to look at the wood that way - covering concrete.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 7:20 PM Last edited by gazania : 30th Oct 2017 at 5:08 PM.
I know that would be today (it's amazing what you can do!) ... but I'm trying to flog my memory and think if that's how things were done in the early 60s. I guess that one way to find out would be to look at the other pictures of old houses in the flickr album where I found this house and see how they did things, as well as Google 60s one-story houses. If several of the one-story houses on foundations were solid all the way down, I would have a good point of reference.

While looking, I would also have to take into account that I have a full, four-click Maxis foundation on this house. If it were not for the problems I had with the chimney, I might have considered sinking it to better match the inspiration photo. While looking at retro houses now, I see many foundations, but those would be 2-clickers here.

My mother's house had a concrete foundation, as did the houses where I used to visit, but all of those houses had basements. This plan originally had a basement and shows a low foundation, but since this was such a tiny lot, I decided against adding a basement. A basement would have taken far too much space.

I think for now, I'll leave the rock foundation. Downloaders can change it to the brown siding, and it does break up that solid brown panel in front. It was hard enough for me to settle on the doors, dang it! I do have to make a few other changes to it, though. It turns out that for some strange reason (I guess through the one minor possibility that a move_objects/snap_objects trick with a door worked for me?), a door that I thought looked fine when I packaged it wasn't actually fine. On closer inspection, it looked cut off, and I had to move it. I got rid of the half-wall near the kitchen, since moving the door caused problems with that, and many instead put a hint of a full wall around the kitchens (most kitchens were NOT open then), or simply leave the kitchen the way it is (because ... Maxis routing). I also had to switch lights in the bar room since moving the door. Just when I thought I was completely done! If I leave the kitchen open, I will have the tile and the painted wallpapers right next to each other, but my RL house has two different wallpapers next to each other, and they look fine as is. I think I'm fretting too much.

Mad Poster
#33 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 10:03 AM
I think you fret too much
I remember lots and lots of slate tiles in the sixties - I was small; but there was a quarry not far from the town where we lived. Then I have not seen many of those for years - but now, in another region, in another town, I recently bought a relatively new flat - and it has the exact same slate tiles on the front porch and back stairs

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 10:22 AM
This medical concern is taking longer than I had hoped and I really didn't have as much time for testing these last few days. At this point, I really do want to get both of these lots uploaded and done with. I've searched earnestly, over and over, for mismatched wallpapers, tested for routing errors, etc. I might have missed something, but honestly, I'm kind of distracted right now. At the moment, I'm focusing on Taste of Retro, since I have fewer things to check with that one!

I see one room has dark molding while the others have white or no molding. I'm debating on simply using the no-molding wallpaper. (The bar area in the back.) I don't want to get rid of the bamboo wallpaper. For that kinda-Tiki-feeling back in the day, either that one or the hula girls one would work, and I'd really rather use the bamboo. Let's say I'm not fond of the other one.

In the case of Rabbie, I packaged it in a brand-new third game because I needed one for testing with the toddler mod, since I don't have that in my good game. My machine seems to have trouble handling more than two Sims games in a folder. I had to keep switching the toddler test and the prep hood games out. Since these two buildings were made in a fresh new game specifically for them and tested in my good game (No Sims ever set foot in that house in the new game), and I don't see CEP in the Clean Installer list, can I just package the two lots in the unplayed hood after doing one more orb-ing? Again, the hood where I plan to package the stuff was a new hood created just for making the two lots.

Time to get some text written and check the uploading FAQs. Also, try to remember where one or two of these CC items came from!

Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#35 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 12:18 PM
Gazania, your lots don't have to be perfect, really, don't worry. I certainly don't do a whole lot of searching or even that much testing apart from the basics. A lot of people will change what you have done anyway no matter how well done or how much time you spent on it. Walls with and without molding-doesn't matter unless it's in the same space.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 9:36 PM Last edited by gazania : 5th Nov 2017 at 10:25 PM.
OK ... TOR is uploaded for mod approval. If I missed something or did a no-no, please let me know. I did not take a dummy-roof level picture (I always thought that was optional, and the only reason I did it with Rabbie was to show the showcase area) ... if that is a problem, please bounce it back and that shall be corrected. A dummy-roof shot would take me ten minutes, at best. It's not like I have to be super-artistic about it. Go down one level, take picture, post it.

I keep forgetting ... I believe that if this is approved, I can simply refer to Metro Windows, rather than each and every recolor and window from this set I used, I believe. Same thing with HL's curtain. HL threw me for a loop, though. I thought that I must have downloaded a recolor of the Contempo curtain called "Dave's Contempo Curtains" or something like that, and looked all over for this recolor! It is the name you see in the catalog, and is indeed the original download for HugeLunatic's Contempo curtains. The curtains are fine.

Naftali is next. I still think I'm about 95% good with that one. The spiral stairs work better than the ladder stairs on the side, I believe. (I agree with Scary Rob and joandsarah77 that the ladder stairs on the side might look a little off), though I still used ladder stairs for the second to third floor. I'm at the "do I like this or that?" stage for some of the wallpapers, and am looking for errant tiles or wallpapers I missed. This is a pretty large building, even if it isn't on a particularly large lot, and it's so easy to miss those on this lot. I've already had to correct quite a few.

The good news for me is that I can focus much more on Naftali. The next time I decide to do two lots at once, someone please give me a (figurative) kick in the posterior.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#37 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 1:16 AM Last edited by gazania : 11th Nov 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Sorry ... double post.

I haven't forgotten Naftali. This health issue is persistent and doing doctor-and-test-go-round can be trying. I'm afraid that has taken up quite a bit of my time and concern lately.

Pictures and floor plans to come soon. I'm still finding the occasional wall or item I missed, and just when I THINK I got everything, I find I missed one. It looks similar to my last pic, only with spiral stairs and some other details. Now I remember why I like small lots!

EDIT AGAIN ... I think it's ready. Routing is fine. I'm just constantly looking for stray walls now. I admit that the spiral stairs on the side look better than the ladder stairs. I hope there are enough Homecoming decorations, and hope to also upload a copy without the decorations as well ... or just simply abandon the idea of doing a themed lot altogether. Honestly, I can't think of much more you CAN put there without really inflating the CC list, and my homespun llama banner will probably have somewhat limited usage, to put it politely. I am not entirely happy with the kitchen. In a real-life container situation, you would probably have a little more of the middle part of the two containers, but then routing would be affected. I'll still see if I can do anything, but don't think I can.

EDIT AGAIN ... Saved by the link. There are such things as joining kits that allow you to attach two units together. I would just have to indicate some type of joined section. You don't even need part of a wall to complete the joining, as seen in one picture.
https://portshippingcontainers.com....ining-kits.html

EDIT THRICE ... I am putting more streamers on the front of the building. Needs more festive!
Screenshots

Page 2 of 2