Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#701 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
If they were considering on putting CASt in only 11 months ago then they were working on the core engine then, wow no wonder so much stuff was left out.

well its no wonder they left it out im just hoping they include something that modders can use to create styles and stuff remember they are using a brand new engine so i imagine they ran into difficulties on a new create a style
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#702 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 6:29 PM
Well, I'm not particularly interested in their difficulties, tbh. I'm a consumer, and it's not my problem they wasted 3/4 of their development time on TS4 trying to make it an online game, and then heading in another direction, and cut most of the major innovations of the previous games. It's not like CAST was impossible to do - they'd done it before. I'd have been fine with no colour wheel and precoloured swatches or something like that, since performance was apparently an issue with it before... but if they'd like my money, they're gonna have to show me some serious innovation over the previous games. When one can easily spend $500+ on a particular incarnation of the game and all its expansions and stuff packs, if they're not building on what they made previously but instead stripping it down and repackaging it with a couple new bells and whistles, I doubt the majority of simmers are going to be willing to drop another $500+ to help fund EA's development mistakes so they can cobble together something halfway decent after another 5 years worth of EPs, SPs, and as much Store content as they can crank out.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#703 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 6:48 PM
Good time to post this.

Test Subject
#704 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Well, I'm not particularly interested in their difficulties, tbh. I'm a consumer, and it's not my problem they wasted 3/4 of their development time on TS4 trying to make it an online game, and then heading in another direction, and cut most of the major innovations of the previous games. It's not like CAST was impossible to do - they'd done it before. I'd have been fine with no colour wheel and precoloured swatches or something like that, since performance was apparently an issue with it before... but if they'd like my money, they're gonna have to show me some serious innovation over the previous games. When one can easily spend $500+ on a particular incarnation of the game and all its expansions and stuff packs, if they're not building on what they made previously but instead stripping it down and repackaging it with a couple new bells and whistles, I doubt the majority of simmers are going to be willing to drop another $500+ to help fund EA's development mistakes so they can cobble together something halfway decent after another 5 years worth of EPs, SPs, and as much Store content as they can crank out.
Well isn't it better to at least pay for the base game and if you like it buy the expansions that's what i always do i'm going to get the base game and if i'm not happy with it then i will weigh up what the next expansion will offer if it does not appease me then i wont buy anymore for the sims 4 and wait for sims 5
retired moderator
#705 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 10:12 PM
When so little of what they've shown justifies spending 60 euros on the base game.... if I weren't an admin for this site and thus need to have a decent idea of what the game has in it so I can set up forums and whatnot for it... No, I don't think I'd buy it. I might watch Let's Play videos of others playing, see if a friend had it that I could try, check out reviews... But I'm not at all keen on dropping a not at all insignificant amount of money on something that appears to be so severely butchered that it's missing several limbs and half a torso in hopes that maybe it might be okay. I already have three complete sims games with mods and loads of CC - I don't need a fourth one just because it's there.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#706 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 8:16 AM
there is CAS cause I seened the gameplay
Instructor
#707 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
When so little of what they've shown justifies spending 60 euros on the base game.... if I weren't an admin for this site and thus need to have a decent idea of what the game has in it so I can set up forums and whatnot for it... No, I don't think I'd buy it. I might watch Let's Play videos of others playing, see if a friend had it that I could try, check out reviews... But I'm not at all keen on dropping a not at all insignificant amount of money on something that appears to be so severely butchered that it's missing several limbs and half a torso in hopes that maybe it might be okay. I already have three complete sims games with mods and loads of CC - I don't need a fourth one just because it's there.

The game wouldn't be worth it, even if it were Free-to-Play.
retired moderator
#708 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 9:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vicstar108
there is CAS cause I seened the gameplay

CAS is Create a Sim, the thing where you make your sims.

CAST/CASt is Create a Style, the TS3 feature that allows you to apply any pattern to most any clothing or object.

There is CAS in TS4. There is no CAST.

Test Subject
#709 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:11 AM
The real reason they aren't giving us these things is because the team making is going cheep. Cheep help, small team of programmers. A shit load of interns, and low system costs. Right now the server side of the sims 3 is loaded with content. Custom worlds, custom clothes, custom houses. The servers needed for that quantity of sheer stuff is huge. Not to mention the world wide access and bandwidth they need on the cloud. So to me it looks like they are stripping out player made stuff, and they are going to force you to get simpoint stuff in the future. On EA part its more economical system. Strip out the customization and you can charge for more. On our end they are creating a sucky environment for sims creators. As for pets, we didn't have them until the pet expansion on the sims 3, same as the sims 2 same as the sims. Toddlers really didn't gain anything cool till generations. Pools they are going to add but not at launch. Same as the brats. The world features and building features being stripped away makes me nauseous. We need Cast and player made content. We need to be able to customize our worlds. I can't imagine walking into a house with everyone wearing the same clothes sitting on the same furniture. I'm not sure I want my sims to have so much autonomy either. Ever two second there is going to be a fire, and fight or some sim doing something so off the wall, it will become frustrating. Might be fun at first but I can see it getting old fast. I also remember a shit load of people saying they were never going to buy the sims 3 when it came out. Sims 2 was the end all and be all they were never going to be satisfied with these ugly pudgy cartooney looking sims. Now they are the same ones saying they aren't buying the sims 4. Lets face facts folks were all afraid of change. Its natural, eventually the sims 4 will become what we love about the sims 3. If its not there yet, then don't buy it at launch. Wait for a few expansions to come out and keep playing the sims games you love. When they close down the exchange, for 3 then break out the pitch forks and torches.

www.giggeek.com Graphic Novels, Manga, Games, Anime, and Asian Imports.
Test Subject
#710 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 3:47 AM
HystericalParoxysm weren't you the person who originaly created cast mod for the sims 2?

www.giggeek.com Graphic Novels, Manga, Games, Anime, and Asian Imports.
Mad Poster
#711 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 4:04 AM
A bunch of people did not ever buy sims 3. Most of them refused to (I was one of many), knowing that anything EA tried to put up that supposedly 'exceeded' TS 2 would be an abysmal failure. TS3 wasn't quite that, but it wasn't the hit everyone at EA thought it would be.

Quote:
"Its natural, eventually the sims 4 will become what we love about the sims 3. If its not there yet, then don't buy it at launch. Wait for a few expansions to come out and keep playing the sims games you love. When they close down the exchange, for 3 then break out the pitch forks and torches. "

If the game does not have anything to sell it in the first place, no amount of CC or EP's will ever replace actual game-play.

I absolutely refuse to be a beta tester with an open wallet for EA...if they can't afford to do the game right, they should go out of business-the sooner, the better.
Instructor
#712 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I absolutely refuse to be a beta tester with an open wallet for EA...if they can't afford to do the game right, they should go out of business-the sooner, the better.

I swear, E.A. must have some sort of karma force-field. If they didn't they'd have been out of business long ago.
Scholar
#713 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:14 AM
What I like about TS3 are downloading and exploring new worlds and playing around with CASt. I can spend longer customizing clothing and objects than I do actually playing the game.
In TSM buy mode has a full CASt, but CAS for some reason just has colors, no patterns (there is a workaround to get patterns in there though) you really, really miss patterns on the clothes after a while, so I know I'll be sad to see it all go in TS4.

On the other hand this would surely mean the return of skinners, and that would be really nice. I thought at the time of the release of TS3 it was a sad day for the skinners in the community. I'd be happy to see their return in TS4.
I'd really miss CASt, but skinners did some amazing things for the meshes in TS1 and TS2 that you can't do with just the application of patterns and colors in pre-defined sections, so it might not be so terrible.
I'm looking forward to TS4 and a section of the community that was made somewhat redundant with TS3 perhaps returning.
It will help make the modding community larger, and I do believe that without modders the sims series is dead anyway, I think EA know this too. I don't think their move is towards making it less customizable so they can sell you recolors, I think they're making it more customizable on a community scale rather than on an individual scale.
The biggest drag, I think, will be the release when you have no CASt to customize till the mods appear, but once they do, I think it will be ok....I hope =D
Lab Assistant
#714 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:18 AM
Personally, I hated CASt. I liked the organisation of it - that recolours were tied to the mesh, and made the catalogue less cluttered. But for the most part, CASt was annoying as hell to use. All these people complaining ("I don't want to spend hours looking for a couch to match my drapes, wah!") - you DO realise recolours aren't that tricky, right? Just. Ugh.

(I also hated the way the Sims looked in S3 - no, they were not more realistic; they were disgusting to look at, horribly generic and just wrong. Uncanny valley.). Honestly, I am glad S4 has omitted most of the features introduced in S3. When S3 was introduced, I hated it and wanted nothing to do with it (the only feature I liked was the traits, but even that did nothing to the gameplay). The issue of toddlers aside, I am really looking forward to this game.
Top Secret Researcher
#715 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:38 AM
I was never a huge fan of CASt. It's one of the reasons CAS takes ages to load and the reason the game is so slow a lot of the time. At least that's been my experience.

I will miss the ease of changing things to whatever color and pattern I wanted. As a web designer, this was amazing to see in a game. But I'd rather take performance over appearance in my games.
Test Subject
#716 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 5:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rinarunine
I was never a huge fan of CASt. It's one of the reasons CAS takes ages to load and the reason the game is so slow a lot of the time. At least that's been my experience.

I will miss the ease of changing things to whatever color and pattern I wanted. As a web designer, this was amazing to see in a game. But I'd rather take performance over appearance in my games.

No offense, but I face palm when I see posts like this. A lot of people who have no experience with game rendering or programming have all sorts of opinions about the stuff that just aren't based in fact. If they do have a real reason for not giving us CASt, it's because of production pipeline choices, not because it's computationally difficult or a real programming challenge. EA just doesn't want to give them the chance to change it because as far as they're concerned its good enough.
Theorist
#717 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 7:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FoxPaw
EA just doesn't want to give them the chance to change it because as far as they're concerned its good enough.

I just thought it was to save money and effort, and to sell presets in the future. Makes sense if you are the publisher and see Sims fans as dollars. But also to screw them, I like to believe that the top CEO likes to twirl their mustache with whale lard, because it's not enough to just profit.
One Minute Ninja'd
#718 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 8:29 AM
And to think, when this thread started, we were so upset about the loss of CAST. Who would have guessed back then that just about everything else would also be cut out in the name of a "solid foundation"?
Mad Poster
#719 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 9:26 AM
Before the release of the CAS demo I have held the belief that material textures and colors will be sold as DLC. Forgive me because I may be stating this wrong but after playing with the demo I can see how adding a texture and colors will work to change the appearance of an outfit so that may also be in the works for objects too. I won't be surprised.

The modding community got a heads up with the demo but EA's technical support got so many newbs believing that 3rd party CC (well some may during the learning process) will destroy their games so they will buy the DLC. Not me, not for recolors/swatches if I ever buy the game.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#720 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 9:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
And to think, when this thread started, we were so upset about the loss of CAST. Who would have guessed back then that just about everything else would also be cut out in the name of a "solid foundation"?

CAS missing is still my biggest complaint for TS4, even more so than pools and toddlers (and all the other missing things). I don't want to be back to downloading dozens of recolors for every single piece of clothing and furniture. I'm a sim creator and builder, this is what I spend most of my time with when playing The Sims. Feels horrible to suddenly be so restricted again.
Top Secret Researcher
#721 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 10:47 AM
Goodness.

Tell me how you guys *really* feel. ;D

I asked my husband to explain more about CASt and what kind of an impact it has on performance (he graduated from a well-known videogame / programming university a few years back). To sum it up, he said CASt itself isn't the major issue but the caching TS3 uses is a nightmare. If they had implemented a better caching system / algorithm, CASt and loading times wouldn't be so awful. At least that's what I took away from it.

I apologize for possibly insulting anyone or coming off as completely uneducated. On a side note, everyone's trigger happy over that Disagree button.
dodgy builder
#722 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nekoanomaly
Lets face facts folks were all afraid of change. Its natural, eventually the sims 4 will become what we love about the sims 3. If its not there yet, then don't buy it at launch. Wait for a few expansions to come out and keep playing the sims games you love. When they close down the exchange, for 3 then break out the pitch forks and torches.

Change is a part of life, but it means some people will fall off while others will come in. The question is how many falls off and how many comes in. Each time EA make a new version of Sims, that's the fact they have to deal with. What consumers they made the game for is a part of the business strategy for each game. I have just decided they left me out of the plans for this game all together.

Making houses in TS4 with the quality I have in TS3 is not going to be possible. It is actually a lot of work making sure all the colors fit. Downloading finished recolors will be too much hassle, and making them myself is not going to make it any easier.
Instructor
#723 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 5:27 PM
But then we see this!! To Quote "I’ve just put together a quick and dirty tool to help make clothing recolor mods for the Sims 4 CAS Demo"
http://sims4.the-prof.net/?p=36

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
One Minute Ninja'd
#724 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimJymm
But then we see this!! To Quote "I’ve just put together a quick and dirty tool to help make clothing recolor mods for the Sims 4 CAS Demo"
http://sims4.the-prof.net/?p=36

And that's great to pull something together so early. Unfortunately, they're still recolors. Which means each item must be pre-planned and recolored before use in game. And then managed as content which, over time, will get to be a larger and larger issue.

Now, for clothing, that's a pain but unless the shoes and bag chosen on the spur of the moment HAVE to match exactly, not a big deal. But for build decor, establishing a palette ahead of time and recoloring all the furniture, decor, wall, floors and whatnot, before even starting the build, is a very big deal. And not really practical. The beauty of CAST when building was laying down the objects, arranging things accordingly, getting your textures set for things like the flooring and walls, then using CAST, go around and place whatever colors you want on which item you decided fits the space best, all in real build/buy time. The only thing you had to do before entering build/buy was decide what the palette would be. And doing that with recolors is extremely arduous.
dodgy builder
#725 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:26 PM
Yes, with all the trial and error that goes into architecture and decoration the way I do it now, it will just be so bloody timeconsuming. Because I guess you still have to go back and forth between some separate tool and the game to make and then test the furniture in the room.
Page 29 of 30