Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 8:25 PM Last edited by armiel : 8th Apr 2010 at 9:37 PM.
Default I have A problem with textures with this counter
I have been making a kitchen set of my own, and bumped into a texture problem no-one so far has solved.

When starting to make my set I chose this "Counter Modern Suite" ("Real something" in game, costs 800, black marble top, red-ish wood, 2 drawers). What I didn't know at that point was that I would be fighting with the textures for the next few days.

Here is the problem:

As you can see, it makes a "faded" image of the pattern used in door to the base of the counter. In my case the pattern on 3rd channel shows faded on channel 2. (on the left is the original)

It is not mapping problem, that has been checked many times, it is not specular problem, also checked. Mask is checked, not that either.

Also I did try with another counter, and tadaa, no problem! (Ignore the images on the bottom of doors, this was a quick test to see if the problem was the counter it self.) This is "Counter contemporary suite" (Have no idea of the name in game, I play in finnish)(original on the left)

If someone figures out what causes that, I and prolly many other kitchen makers would be happy, but at least I have now warned you that the counter has problems.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 8:37 PM
I've cloned that counter with no problems, from 1.8.25 files. Unless EA borked it in some other patch/version, whatever this problem is it's not specific to that counter.

I'd check if your channel mask really only contains solid colour, perhaps you have mixed colours in there (like 255R40G0B) which might explain that sort of overlay.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 8:50 PM
Hudy777's both kitchen sets have the same problem, Scarlet and Madonna.
I am not saying this to be mean, just to point that I am not only one with that trouble.

from left: mine, scarlet, madonna
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 8:58 PM
And Plasticbox, I have re-checked my mask multiple times, redone it many many times and still have the problem.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 8:59 PM
Hm, maybe it has to do with the *way* things are cloned, not necessarily which counter is used? Just thinking because I did everything in s3oc/s3pe, and Hudy777 is crediting TSRW in her "madonna" upload thread. What do you use?

If you look at my profile, I only have one kitchen upload ("Simple kitchen") – this is cloned from the modern counters. Maybe you can doublecheck whether it can be this counter that causes the issue if you look at that in-game, in your game.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 9:10 PM
I used s3pe/s3oc.
I have you set too, and it has no problems.

I really can't believe that the problem is in mask, and I did go through the specular and multiplier with Inge Jones. Other textures I saw in the package were dirt-patterns. She also tested my counter and checked my package.

What bugs me the most is that I am not the only one that has the "fade"
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 9:18 PM
I did say there was something wrong with your mask though, at the time. You had a totally white alpha channel, which means in theory one of the colour areas could be wrapped over your whole object. Which matches the symptoms you are showing. Did you also check your overlay? Overlays are applied by the game even if the object is CASTable.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 9:36 PM
OK so .. it seems pretty obvious that the issue is not with the original counter. armiel, do you think you can change your thread title to something more descriptive?

Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 9:36 PM
I did change the mask after you told me it might be the problem(removed alpha, saved to dxt1)

I am sure it is a texture problem, and I am not completely sure which one is the overlay, but: both of the multipliers are 128 grey, both speculars i found have black alphas, i didn't touch dirt-ones, as they should only show up when the item is dirty, and i even tried removing the one tiny white IMG totally, and still had same problem.

I have also used s3pe/s3oc for 2 days (that is not long) and my english is limited (also the understanding) and i have a lot to learn in meshing in general.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 9:35 PM
Changed the title, not sure if that is any better... Maybe this thread should also be moved to "Meshing"?
#11 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 9:40 PM
Shall I try to see if I can fix the package you sent me? It's getting to be like a sort of mini-challenge, never mind the World Adventures :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 9:42 PM
Sure you can
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by armiel
Maybe this thread should also be moved to "Meshing"?
Good point; we moved it.

#14 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 10:38 PM
Ok, I was on the right track but going in the wrong direction. It was indeed a problem with the RGB mask, but the alpha channel was actually the least of your problems. What was actually wrong was that your red wasn't red, and your green wasn't green. One of the colours was pure but the other two were not. The green, which was the side of your counter, had some red mixed with it - so it was "off-green". That was why you had just that faint hint of the pattern from the doors on your side. Basically, PlasticBox had the right idea in the first place.

You need to use pure 0,255,0 for green. Similar for the other colours.

You will need to check all three masks for that problem.

Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 10:47 PM
OK, thank you very much, I will get into that first thing in the morning. (1 am now)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 11:00 PM
About that Hudy777 kitchen – did you modify that in any way before putting it in your game? Or was it already like this when you downloaded it? If it's the latter, you could probably do her a favour if you'd post in her thread(s) and point her to this one, now that Inge explained the solution … maybe she's seen the problem as well and doesn't know how to fix it.

Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Apr 2010 at 11:10 PM
As always, I can't wait, I had to try straight away... It works now...
Why do they put un-pure colours as default in Paint.Net???? My fault, I didn't check whether they were pure.

I really didn't even think that would be the solution, as I had already proven hudy had the same with his sets..
So disappointed with my self now...

As always, I hope my mistakes prevent others making the same.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 12:00 AM
I've never used Paint.net, but I can tell you that in Photoshop that "un-pure" color thing would probably be caused by your file being created/edited as CMYK rather than RGB. If you start out in CMYK and then convert the file mode to RGB the color values will not be the same as if you had done it in RGB mode to begin with.

For instance if you take a CMYK mode image that is in fact pure red in the CMYK colorspace (0,100,100,0) and convert it to RGB mode, the RGB value of the red will be 237,28,36 instead of the correct RGB value of pure red which is 255,0,0.

That might not have been your problem in this instance, but I thought I'd mention it because it took me a while to figure it out when it happened to me.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 6:10 AM
Thanks for this. I didn't know but now I do.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 10:25 PM
I have read this thread, as armiel pointed i had same problem and didn't know how to fix it, and i don't know why i didn't ask guess i was stupid.
Well, now i know how to fix it, it never crossed my mind that colors are un-pure.
And btw i'm not she, i'm he.
I'm glad that you have find solution and i'm looking forward to your new kitchen.

VISIT MY NEW SITE hudy777DeSign