Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#3001 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 6:11 PM
Oh, I love doing the stats and family trees and all that stuff, too, don't get me wrong - If I didn't, I would have abandoned the idea a long time ago. It's just that sometimes, I just want to play the game, but I know that I can't until all the stats are up to date, because it would mess them up otherwise. And I don't know about you, but writing down every single sim's skills and aspiration points and reputation and everything else is something I find a bit tedious after a while, even if the results are worth it.
(Because I want the stats to be correct, I have to do it all in one go between rounds, at a point where everyone has lived exactly the same amount of time - if I were to do it for one household before I'm done playing with the others, it wouldn't work, because then those sims might show up as visitors on other lots and start gaining skill or aspiration points that I wouldn't have noted, and it wouldn't be fair for the first household compared to the last.)

I agree with you about fights, even if right now I'm still killing every loser. For my game, though, I'm imagining something a little more drastic, to keep the death ratio high: losers would lose 25 to 50 health points, while winners ('cause it's not because you win that you necessarily come away unscathed) would lose between 0 and 25 health points. Yes, that means the winner might die while the loser lives, because the death doesn't necessarily occur during the fight itself - a sim might die later of their wounds, even if they won.
I'm planning on adding doctors and midwives/healers/witches at some point in the future, so the presence of one at the fight could mitigate the effects, too.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#3002 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 8:16 PM
Yes, it definitely does take some time to update all the stats. I do it in between rounds as well. I play all households, update all my information, crop the pictures for the round and write all the blog posts before I start playing the next round.

I really wanted to have the loser lose points depending on his health score and once I decided how I was going to do that, I was actually too lazy to work out a similar system for the winners. XD I want to use more parts of the Warwickshire in the future, so I do plan on adding healers and midwives at some point, too.

It's a lot of fun to play without killing every loser, because it means you can actually have sims that don't like each other. Before I only had acquaintances, friends or dead sims. XD And now, I've got my first enemies. :D

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Lab Assistant
#3003 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 4:02 PM
The health point system seems so lead to more options, certainly.
However, I'm sticking to the original plan. The losers die instantly in my game. I have so few fights between my sims that it does not really hurt my neighborhood. Quite the opposite, actually. I quite need some sims to die randomly, so to speak, in order to keep everything a little balanced. My women also have a 1/6 risk of death at childbirth. However, I do allow their family to plead with the Reaper, so it's not really 1/6... But deaths by losing a fight are certain. There is no way around that in my game. Also, next round there will be an execution that will also not be prevented in any way. Even though it really has not been planned by me and might mess up my story a bit, but oh well, it'd be boring if everything just went according to plan, right? :D

Btw, does anyone have their sims adopt pets? I had a teenage girl in late stone age with too much freetime who befriended a wild dog. Meanwhile, this dog's descendants are beloved pets in some of my families. One or two families are actively breeding and everyone else is happy to adopt a puppy or two. Cats are a lot rarer at this time and no one is breeding them. What a shame, as I like cats irl. But I guess it's historically acurate to domesticate dogs first?
Lab Assistant
#3004 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 1:19 AM
I do play with pets, but I introduce them gradually.
At first I only allow wolves (and skunks + penguins, of course) to visit the lot (I use the Visitor Controller). They're a bit more difficult to befriend since they're always hostile, so a sim managing to adopt one marks the first step of domestication. Afterwards, I allow big dogs (+ the above) to visit the lot. Once two adopted pets (wolves or big dogs) breed and the pups reach adulthood, then small dogs are allowed to visit the lot and be adopted (the family has learned enough about breeding to be able to create those breeds, which are further away from the wolf).

Cats are treated separately, and are allowed to visit the lot once the family has learned agriculture (someone gets a gold badge in gardening). Historically, the first "domesticated" cats (aka cats capable of domesticating humans ) likely came from those who hung around people's grain stores to hunt the rodents attracted there, so it made sense to me to link the two.

In my game, every adopted big dog/wolf adds chances for a hunting trip to be successful. The presence of cats lowers the amount of stored food that must be destroyed each season (because they hunt the rodents that would eat that food).
I haven't decided what advantage small dogs should bring, yet. What has the impact of those smaller breeds been on humanity? Something social, I would think... I know some small dogs are hunters, too, but I'd like to have something different. Any ideas?
Field Researcher
#3005 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 10:09 AM
Popping out of lurk mode to say that some small dogs were also used to hunt vermin... if you want it to be something different from both cats and large dogs, maybe a small dog allows spraying roaches, decreases the chance of illness, or increases the chance of a successful recovery? After all, if you have a dog trained to hunt rats, that's fewer rats that can pass disease to the humans.

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Lab Assistant
#3006 Old 7th Oct 2017 at 9:34 AM
Love reading about your takes on the fighting system! It works different in my game as well. First of all, the loser only dies if I can "afford" it... Which means that, if the loser is a slave girl, which I lack right now in the game, I will let her live on. However, that will be strike 1 - if she gets to strike 3, she'll die anyway. Every strike is permanent throughout her life, so if she gets two strikes as a child and the third as an adult, she'll die then. If the loser dies from a fight, the winner will lose 1-20 health points as well, so technically both of them can die. Right now, if a plebeian girl loses a fight, she dies without question, but slaves are more likely to survive, as I have more plebeians than slaves at the moment and need to somehow turn it around.

Regarding pets I allowed for them to adopt wolves during the Stone and Iron ages, but now as Romans, no one has any pets. I'm planning for the next apartment lot I need to build to be a type of farm for breeding pets, so once I get my slave population going again, I'll finally introduce all the pets! Can't wait

Find my Test of Time Challenge here!
Test Subject
#3007 Old 7th Oct 2017 at 2:32 PM
Can someone explain the health system you guys are using? Mine rarely get into fights.
Lab Assistant
#3008 Old 7th Oct 2017 at 6:23 PM
Oh, you use apartment lots? That sounds great. Do you use them for slaves, or other classes as well? And is there enough space for each household? Since slave families should have many children, there has to be enough room for cribs and beds...

I'm also a little low on slaves. That's why my current emperor does not encourage the regular random slave murders at the colloseum. I think I will only start this with the next emperor, or maybe even with the third one...
Lab Assistant
#3009 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 11:40 AM
My problem is that I have too little Plebeians. Somehow most of them tend to marry "up" and I only have a few Plebeian households left. If it happens that I run out of them, I'm thinking about "demoting" the poorest Patricians to Plebeians, so my game would be more balanced.

Update on my game too: my oldest gen 6 sim is currently a child, so I still have a bit over a generation to go to get to the Dark Ages. Does anyone have any fun rules for the dark ages? I'm thinking about completely leaving out the Vikings. It just seems too exessive to kill a household when a viking walks by. And considering the plague I won't probably have too many sims anyway :D
Lab Assistant
#3010 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 8:39 PM
@girlsabc, personally I don't use the health system from the Warwickshire Challenge, I use a simplified one to make it easier for myself... I confess! When my sims are born, I roll 1-100. When they have their birthdays, I roll 1-40, where X<20 means they lose 20-X health points, and X>20 means they gain 20-X points. Except for when they become elders, then I just roll for losing points.

I also roll a loss of 1-20 for every childbirth, and a 1-20 roll for men as well every 5 years that I call a battle-roll, just to make things more fair. If they die from this roll, I pretend they died in battle

@YukiShine, thanks, I like it a lot myself! I use them for plebeians and slaves, of course the apartments are very different depending on who lives in it. For the slaves and poor plebeians there's not much space, especially not for the big families. But it's part of the charm to me! I'll include some pics for you

@iireke7, I agree with you on the Dark Ages rules. I never made it there myself (so close once), but I will modify them for sure. Especially the part about the Vikings as I'm Nordic and it's kind of nah... I'm sure lots of sims will die anyway. I've considered installing Realistic Sickness when I get to this point to simulate the plague, but that's about it. I'd love to hear what you have in mind so far and as you approach the new Era!
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#3011 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by abcbok
@girlsabc, personally I don't use the health system from the Warwickshire Challenge, I use a simplified one to make it easier for myself... I confess! When my sims are born, I roll 1-100. When they have their birthdays, I roll 1-40, where X<20 means they lose 20-X health points, and X>20 means they gain 20-X points. Except for when they become elders, then I just roll for losing points.

I also roll a loss of 1-20 for every childbirth, and a 1-20 roll for men as well every 5 years that I call a battle-roll, just to make things more fair. If they die from this roll, I pretend they died in battle

@YukiShine, thanks, I like it a lot myself! I use them for plebeians and slaves, of course the apartments are very different depending on who lives in it. For the slaves and poor plebeians there's not much space, especially not for the big families. But it's part of the charm to me! I'll include some pics for you

@iireke7, I agree with you on the Dark Ages rules. I never made it there myself (so close once), but I will modify them for sure. Especially the part about the Vikings as I'm Nordic and it's kind of nah... I'm sure lots of sims will die anyway. I've considered installing Realistic Sickness when I get to this point to simulate the plague, but that's about it. I'd love to hear what you have in mind so far and as you approach the new Era!

I love the pictures! Could you post where you got the appliances, and how you made the wall? Roman era is still a long way off for me but now I'm looking forward to it more, your Roman settlement looks awesome.
Lab Assistant
#3012 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 10:36 AM
@iireke7 I've always thought that the original marriage rules will lead to an imbalance. That's why I change the rules a bit for my game. A married couple always has to take on the class the husband belongs to, so only women change classes through marriage, but men mostly stay in their classes. I do have a few other ways for sims to change classes in exceptional cases, though. My patrician family heads form a senate where under certain conditions rich plebians could take part. Those plebian senators could become patricians, while patricians not participating in the senate for too long can be demoted to plebians. Also, one slave who is a bit of a special case anyway just now tries to become a plebian via storytelling. But it's not certain yet if he'll succeed. I also have a tax system going on where households unable to pay taxes can be demoted. I hope that with these extra rules I can shift my households towards plebians and slaves for the most part. I'll see.

@abcbok Thanks I have to implement apartments too, somehow. Really love them. I think they could make good starting homes for young slave couples with little money.
Lab Assistant
#3013 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 2:39 PM
@abcbok Oh cool! I'm from Estonia, so we're quite close to each other I didn't know about the realistic sickness mod, but I'll definately look into that before moving to Dark Ages. I also think I'm going to dowload some additional "farming" items, such as the chickens that were posted here a while back.

@YukiShine That's a good idea! I'll probably end my Roman ages, then re-position some families if I need to to get my hood balanced and then I'll apply that rule too.

I would kinda like to add something Christianity based, because this was the time of the Crusades. I haven't figured it out complitely, but I'd like to have two monasteries (one for men and one for women). Other families would have to pay taxes to them. I could send my un-married people there if I see that I have, for example, way more women than men. The oldest one would be a head-nun or whatever they're called (sorry, not really familiar with that vocabulary). None of them could work, but thay could grow food and write books (mimicing copying of the Bible). I don't know if there's a fan-made item, that would allow only writing books instead of all the other "computer" activities too, but I would think there is, I'll have to look. Also, I would allow them to have telesopes, so they might get abducted and get pregnant (I have a mod that allows female alien pregnancy too). If a woman got pregnant, she could argue that it was the holy spirit and if her charisma skill is higher than the eldest's charisma skill, then the woman would be allowed to keep and raise the baby. If ot, then they would be shunned and start to live like Outcasts. Outcasts could only communicate with each other, make no other friends, have no jobs, basically cut out from everything. They can however marry each other to keep the alien genes. Of course you could have a visitor from the other monastery to knock your sim up, but the rules would be the same. And also for men, on rare occasions, like if their charisma is 9-10 points, they could also convince others that the baby is from the Holy Spirit. Although I don't know what I should do if the baby is from the opposite sex. Does anyone know if there's a mod that allows you to pick the baby's sex?
When first entering the Dark Ages, I would randomly choose 3 males and 3 females to live in a monastery and then add one of each every week (I play my game by the weeks). All teens (non-heirs), adults (who have at least one son) and elders would be entered to the pool and I'll probably use random number generator or smth like that to pick the ones who have to leave their homes and go the monastery. Unless I have single females who have turned into elders, then they go, because they can't start a family anymore. The new arrival would basically have to be a slave for the first week, clean up other's messes, cook and so on. And the eldest never has to do anything and can meditate all day (to mimic praying). If the eldest dies, the next eldest takes their place.

Oh my, I'm having way too much fun with this Do you guys have any ideas about this? I only know as much as I've learnt in school a while back about the Crusades, so it might not be very historically accurate. But so far I'm loving it :D
Lab Assistant
#3014 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 7:08 PM
@oboesapien - let's see! The pot is made by Sunni at medievalsims, and a lot other appliances I use are made by hriveresse, also here at medievalsims The walls is the Village Wall by Sunni as well! Thank you so much for your words

@YukiShine, now that I've started with apartments I'm so glad I did it, I love the community feeling between the little houses I'd love to see what you come up with if you give it a try!

@iireke7, I love it! Dark Ages is definitely the perfect age to introduce religion. And there's so much we can do with it, we'll have so much fun My fourth generation are becoming teenagers now... Once generation five becomes adults I'll get there. So close but so far, at least I'm having fun on the way And yes, we're pretty much neighbours!

Lab Assistant
#3015 Old 14th Oct 2017 at 12:42 AM
Oh dear, Sun&Moon have been busy...I hadn't checked Plumb Bob Keep in a while. There are some really awesome updates in here that I'm totally working out how to incorporate into the Neanderthal phase.
Lab Assistant
#3016 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 8:58 PM
Oh yes, they are fantastic! Their work makes a huge difference in the feeling of my game

I just finished year 58 and have a family feud on my hands... The two most powerful men in the neighborhood got into a fight and the most powerful one died. So now his enemy takes his place...! I have a feeling his sons are not going to take this lightly, and the sons of the newfound ruler are unlikely to want to give their new position up. Woho, big time drama!

Lab Assistant
#3017 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 1:04 PM
My gen 6 kids are now teens and my game is progressing really really slowly, because my girlfriend got Sims 4 over the weekend and now we're playing that :D
I will try to keep up though
Lab Assistant
#3018 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 11:52 PM Last edited by Lisrouge : 26th Oct 2017 at 12:28 AM.
It's so nice to see everyone is still around. I decided to scrap my last ToT because I just felt like they were all strangers since my last notes were a bit hectic. Im catching up on the blogs and I love all the stories and scandals.

abc, How do you figure out the years?

Check out my ToT neighborhood Hoohoo. Last updated: February 2, 2020
Family Trees
Test Subject
#3019 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 9:47 AM
My game crashed and i really dont want to start it all over again. (No i didnt back up the game) Im speeding through to try and catch up.
Lab Assistant
#3020 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 7:49 PM
Lisrouge! Welcome back, so glad to see you again :lovestruc Please keep us updated!

The years are actually sim days So now I just finished year 60, which is really sim day 60.

Lab Assistant
#3021 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 11:21 PM
abcbok,thanks, I subscribed to your blog. I really liked the apartment idea. It really does feel like there's a community there. And ah, you have a mod for shorter pregnancies, right?

girlsabc, IM sorry about your game.

Check out my ToT neighborhood Hoohoo. Last updated: February 2, 2020
Family Trees
Test Subject
#3022 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 5:56 PM
I've made it to the roman era
Lab Assistant
#3023 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iireke7
None of them could work, but thay could grow food and write books (mimicing copying of the Bible). I don't know if there's a fan-made item, that would allow only writing books instead of all the other "computer" activities too, but I would think there is, I'll have to look.

Somewhat late here, but if you've not already found a book-writing item, I recommend MogHughson's manuscript. There's also a ton of recolours for it available here.
Lab Assistant
#3024 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 9:34 PM Last edited by abcbok : 30th Oct 2017 at 9:53 PM.
@Lisrouge, oh that's nice! I'm about to update it tonight. I have a mod for shorter teenage span, they are only teens for seven days before becoming adults Did you decide if you will restart yet?

I'm pretty excited right now because my fifth generation was just born! I had three babies of gen 5 this round, when they become adults, the Dark Ages begin! :D

Lab Assistant
#3025 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 1:27 AM
Just as an aside, I haven't had much time to play lately (grad school) but I enjoy keeping up on this thread.
Page 121 of 128