Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
Well he can be trusted to tell you what he likes and what he doesn't. So I'd guess that's why.

Personally I like Deligracey's overview of the items though, I mean it's not exactly a review but she did note that for a pet pack there isn't actually all that much pet stuff. Compared to normal stuff. Which I think is a helpful tip for people and one LGR didn't point out. At the same time I'm glad LGR pointed out that you can't even see the Cats and Dogs needs, skills and relationships like you could in Sims 2 which likely means a mod for controlling the Pets is an impossible dream. Which was a helpful piece of information for me one I hadn't really noticed in the let's plays and such.

Edit:

The problem with LGR though is that he really only reviews for people with his exact tastes. For anyone else it's kind of hard to get a good grasp on if the pack is for you even when he says something like "I don't like it but if you like this, this and this you might enjoy it" Mainly because he doesn't actually understand what people who go for such things actually enjoy. There have been times when he's said: If you like this you'll like this and it's turned out to be pretty terrible. Other times he's said something was outright awful like the Movie Stuff pack and I pretty much only use the Spooky Clothes from that Pack and the Outfits from Midnight Hollow for my Sims 3 sims.

I mean I can trust him to give me his honest opinion and he often points out negatives that others are afraid to focus on. But I've often found he's not THAT good at letting me know if something is worth it. Since what I consider worth it is vastly different from what he considers worth it.

Looks at the disagree bar...wow that's alot of people who either dislike personal opinions and experiences, don't like Deligracey, think LGR can do no wrong, or hate that I base the reviews I like off of what they tell me that's negative about the game: The lack of interface/lack of actual pet stuff in a pet expansion. Well either that or they disagree with me that a pet control mod is an impossible dream. It's kind of hard to tell.

Still 13 dislikes that's an academy record for me. So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's triggered fanboys/girls.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I wouldn't call Deligracy a reviewer by any means. I mean this is someone who cancelled a LP for Cats and Dogs because Youtube is demonetizing Sims videos. I don't think she has the player's best interests at heart.

Yeah no, I never claimed she was a "reviewer" in fact if you actually bothered to read before spying the name and automatically deciding you disagree. You'd know I acknowledge that it's not exactly a review in and of itself. But again it noted something that no one else had mentioned: That there aren't enough pet objects for a pet pack. This is also why I'm thankful to LGR since he pointed out the lack of a interface. Because they both gave me reasons NOT to buy, I'd say that makes them useful to me whether they have the interests of the players at heart or not.

At the end of the day, I'm a pragmatist I don't care what someones ideals are as long as I can use them to my advantage. Though I admit, that an individual with consistent and honest values is alot easier to predict and alot more consistent in their usefulness. But that really should go without saying.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 12:44 AM
Looks at the disagree bar...wow

The what, now?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#29 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 12:54 AM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 15th Nov 2017 at 1:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
The what, now?

You know, cause it's a rectangle. That's why they call it a bar right?

Edit: You know like chocolate bars, metal bars and the bars in places called bars. Also the bars that you hit with hammers and get a score which also works in this context.

Edit 2: Another score like bar would be the bars on your phones. There's also the phrase raising the bar which I think is a sports term.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 2:38 AM
Wait... YouTube is demonetizing SIms now? I've been living under a rock! lol
Instructor
#31 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It has nothing to do with being triggered, whether a person can do no wrong or if the masses like Deligracy or not. There are as many different opinions about the sims franchise as a whole as there are players. It has to do with being honest or the lack of when when it comes to YIBS. They may as well just read from a script that EA writes and hands to them. By YouTube's standards, these kinds of 'reviews' are not reviews, they're ads. Youtubers are supposed to announce when their content is being sponsored which they don't. If people really wanted to be a total pain the ass, they could report this BS that has been going on for as long as TS4 has been around and probably well before that.

If you are the type of person that only likes to be told what you want to hear, odds are there is a person that plays sims that will do just that. People that think TS4 is the best game ever will be more inclined to listen to a YIB than read the bantering and back and forth that goes on around here on MTS. They don't want to hear about people pointing out flaws, discussing how mods broke because of updates, ect... Whatever! To each their own.

Feel free to point a finger in whatever direction you choose, but this issue has been going on for years. The YIB program should have never became a thing to begin with. EA is a multi-billion dollar company. They can afford to have professionals advertise their crap. Instead they choose slave labor with free goodies to make the whole thing look legit on the surface.
\

YIB? No idea what that is though I can guess from context. I'm all for outrage, I'm also all for judging people for being money grubbing piggies or corporate puppets. But I'm also A. as already mentioned a pragmatist and B. I tend to be pretty discerning about why I hate something or someone. Disagreeing just because Deligracey is mentioned with a little slivery pathetic morsel crumb of positivity. Is in my opinion a clear indicator that people don't know WHAT they're disagreeing to.

The obvious solution to being used by sycophants and EA is to unashamedly use them right back. Complain as well, obviously, but right now you are preaching to the converted. A person can be a sycophant and still occasionally say something useful, a discerning audience can find those slip ups and add them to the list of pros and cons. From the mouths of babes and all that.

A reviewer you can trust to be genuine is nice and all, but LGR only focuses on the things that make his game better, which isn't necessarily a good indicator of what will work in my game. Ergo sometimes you have to make do with what you have and keep an eye out for those slip ups. When I find them I'll use them and thank the fool who let them slip to me, not crunching down on nutritious road kill is a good way to starve my friend. You'd think the person with the Hyena icon would know that. (Note I'm not saying their just scavengers or perpetuating that myth but most predators are also opportunists and ya'll could learn a thing or two from them)

TL;DR When someone says something correct, it doesn't really matter what mouth it comes from, the truth is the truth even if the speaker is a liar.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 3:37 AM
\ YIB? No idea what that is though I can guess from context. I'm all for outrage, I'm also all for judging people for being money grubbing piggies or corporate puppets. But I'm also A. as already mentioned a pragmatist and B. I tend to be pretty discerning about why I hate something or someone. Disagreeing just because Deligracey is mentioned with a little slivery pathetic morsel crumb of positivity. Is in my opinion a clear indicator that people don't know WHAT they're disagreeing to. ...

What you are missing is that in lengthy posts if anyone disagrees with a single sentence you will get disagrees here. Other than the disagree fairy people know very well what they are disagreeing about.
Scholar
#33 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
Wait... YouTube is demonetizing SIms now? I've been living under a rock! lol

Yep. And it's got the Yibs all up in arms. Ya know they gotta pay the bills. So it seems they're all going to Twitch now. I'm terrible because I think it's hysterical how people are saying Deligracy should open a Patreon, because they're so worried she's going to go broke or something. They really are. It's so pathetic.

Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It has nothing to do with being triggered, whether a person can do no wrong or if the masses like Deligracy or not. There are as many different opinions about the sims franchise as a whole as there are players. It has to do with being honest or the lack of when when it comes to YIBS. They may as well just read from a script that EA writes and hands to them. By YouTube's standards, these kinds of 'reviews' are not reviews, they're ads. Youtubers are supposed to announce when their content is being sponsored which they don't. If people really wanted to be a total pain the ass, they could report this BS that has been going on for as long as TS4 has been around and probably well before that.

If you are the type of person that only likes to be told what you want to hear, odds are there is a person that plays sims that will do just that. People that think TS4 is the best game ever will be more inclined to listen to a YIB than read the bantering and back and forth that goes on around here on MTS. They don't want to hear about people pointing out flaws, discussing how mods broke because of updates, ect... Whatever! To each their own.

Feel free to point a finger in whatever direction you choose, but this issue has been going on for years. The YIB program should have never became a thing to begin with. EA is a multi-billion dollar company. They can afford to have professionals advertise their crap. Instead they choose slave labor with free goodies to make the whole thing look legit on the surface.

Well said.
Instructor
#34 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
What you are missing is that in lengthy posts if anyone disagrees with a single sentence you will get disagrees here. Other than the disagree fairy people know very well what they are disagreeing about.

I doubt that's the reason, because people should be disagreeing to what I actually say. Not what they think I say based on one little sentence. Plus the downvotes only really appeared after the edit. So if I had to guess I'd say it's the second part not praising LGR as lord and saviour that has peoples panties in a knot.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 4:38 AM
There really aren't any. Game Changers are basically like youtubers let's play sort of thing. They rarely actually review anything.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 5:51 AM
I doubt that's the reason, because people should be disagreeing to what I actually say. Not what they think I say based on one little sentence. Plus the downvotes only really appeared after the edit. So if I had to guess I'd say it's the second part not praising LGR as lord and saviour that has peoples panties in a knot.

You are totally wrong. And folks read what you say as are not mind readers. So the disagrees are based on what you said/typed. And people read posts whenever they are here. So before or after an edit does not indicate anything really.
dodgy builder
#37 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by audioromance
There really aren't any. Game Changers are basically like youtubers let's play sort of thing. They rarely actually review anything.

It's a bit hard reviewing anything when you can't possibly be honest. Oh let me correct that, in this community it's hard because they will get flamed for just saying positiv crap, when there is tons of negativ crap to mention.

I know it can be hard to take the disagrees, but try not to make it personal. This is a thread about LGR after all. Make a thread about Deligracy and you will have lots of Deligracy fans coming to you.

I like Deligracy because she's positiv when all I meet elsewhere is negativ. I just want to see LGR playing through to get an impression on how the game is and to be entertained. I see his other videos too sometimes. I'm more into new gadgets though, he likes it retro. I don't play that many other games, so I have very few reviews I might be interested in. I also prefer the more technical reviews of games like civ6, because they are deeper games, LGR often falls short. For civ 6 I watched hours of deep reviews of each civilizations before and after I bought the game.

I can agree that his style of playing is more mainstream, it's not that much about vampires etc. We all have to find the reviewers that review the style we're looking for.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 1:40 PM
The problem with LGR though is that he really only reviews for people with his exact tastes. For anyone else it's kind of hard to get a good grasp on if the pack is for you even when he says something like "I don't like it but if you like this, this and this you might enjoy it" Mainly because he doesn't actually understand what people who go for such things actually enjoy. There have been times when he's said: If you like this you'll like this and it's turned out to be pretty terrible. Other times he's said something was outright awful like the Movie Stuff pack and I pretty much only use the Spooky Clothes from that Pack and the Outfits from Midnight Hollow for my Sims 3 sims.

Neither does Delicracy, so I don't know why you excluded her (unless you forgot to reference her). Though aren't all reviews for any type of product are like that? It isn't only with LGR. All reviews come across this "problem" (I wouldn't personally call it a problem, since it's an actual thing in general and besides the big focus of reviews are the facts than the reviewers given verdicted overall opinion imo). Surely there will always be disagreeing or have a different preference over a particular thing that opposes the reviewers. You are no wrong or right when it comes to the question "is it worth it (and/or the price)? " I think LGR is either trying to clarify what he thinks fanbase likes who had played a one or few previous sims games, or he's just speaking from his behalf. Either way, all reviewers would just face the same 'problem'.
Instructor
#39 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Neither does Delicracy, so I don't know why you excluded her (unless you forgot to reference her). Though aren't all reviews for any type of product are like that? It isn't only with LGR. All reviews come across this "problem" (I wouldn't personally call it a problem, since it's an actual thing in general and besides the big focus of reviews are the facts than the reviewers given verdicted overall opinion imo). Surely there will always be disagreeing or have a different preference over a particular thing that opposes the reviewers. You are no wrong or right when it comes to the question "is it worth it (and/or the price)? " I think LGR is either trying to clarify what he thinks fanbase likes who had played a one or few previous sims games, or he's just speaking from his behalf. Either way, all reviewers would just face the same 'problem'.

I didn't include Deligracey because I wasn't comparing them. And because frankly no one thinks Deligracey is a good reviewer so pointing out her flaws seems rather pointless. This is the equivalent of someone talking about male suicide rates and someone else chiming in like "yeah but women get raped more" it's artificially pitting two completely unrelated things against each other because you think they should be rivals or opposites, A less serious but ultimately just as annoying example would be going on a cat video and saying "Dogs are cuter though right?" artificial, annoying, pointless and in an ideal world not something you should expect me to cater to

Edit: Also not all reviewers suffer from this problem, admittedly it depends on the genre as well, it's easier to get into the head of a different kind of sims player than it is something like whether a movie is good or bad or whether a book is. The criteria is narrower and you already know that they technically like the base game. So your guess is more educated, you could likely deduce why people like something and then identify if this product would cater to that. It's not like there aren't tons of people out there ready to explain themselves when it comes to what they like and enjoy.
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 4:20 AM
Yep. And it's got the Yibs all up in arms. Ya know they gotta pay the bills. So it seems they're all going to Twitch now. I'm terrible because I think it's hysterical how people are saying Deligracy should open a Patreon, because they're so worried she's going to go broke or something. They really are. It's so pathetic.

Well said.

I agree. You can do what you like for a living if it pays you. If it doesn't anymore, then do other jobs. That's what most adults have to do anyway. You can still find time to do the things you love if you like it. Dont you have any other marketable skills than just sit around playing games?
Scholar
#41 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
I agree. You can do what you like for a living if it pays you. If it doesn't anymore, then do other jobs. That's what most adults have to do anyway. You can still find time to do the things you love if you like it. Dont you have any other marketable skills than just sit around playing games?

I agree, but you see it's easier to just sit around playing games rather than do the kinds of jobs most adults do. I think I'm just too old to understand the Millennial mindset. Or I should say most Millenials, since my niece is one, but there's no way she'd ever let her gamer husband quit his job to stream on Twitch for a living.

I guess I'm from a different generation and a different worldview: one where people don't turn playing games for a living into a job, same for modding or making custom content. Anyway, I digress, and I could really verge off-topic on this if I'm not careful. So, best to shut up before I stick my foot in any further.
Instructor
#42 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 4:46 AM Last edited by XtraSim : 16th Nov 2017 at 4:58 AM.
zomg i'm tired of people saying and letting LGR decide what to do for them i'd rather use something called FREE WILL and decide on my own if I like something or not and not be TOLD to like it like so many people fall for these youtuberz these days. THINK FOR YOUR DAMNED SELF'S!

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 5:48 AM
I guess I'm from a different generation and a different worldview: one where people don't turn playing games for a living into a job, same for modding or making custom content. Anyway, I digress, and I could really verge off-topic on this if I'm not careful. So, best to shut up before I stick my foot in any further.

Oh, at least modding is literally programming and making custom content is 3d modelling and graphic editing, and produces actual output, so I do understand and recognize the effort and willing to support if I deem it is worthy. And they are marketable skills if you cant use them on Sims to pay for your hobby. Game streamers (not to be mistaken with reviewers) literally just want people to pay them to play games.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim
zomg i'm tired of people saying and letting LGR decide what to do for them i'd rather use something called FREE WILL and decide on my own if I like something or not and not be TOLD to like it like so many people fall for these youtuberz these days. THINK FOR YOUR DAMNED SELF'S!

I mean....there's nothing really wrong with using a reviewer to decide whether or not you want something. That's...kind of the point of reviews. To help people stay informed.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#45 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 8:59 AM

I think you're taking LGR as a bad guy a little too much, don't you think. Speaking of FREE WILL, why do you much care If people choose to watch LGR just so its easier to make up the final desicion. It's free will after all, so your argument kinda falls flat to your contradicting logic loop hole. Just sayin...
Mad Poster
#46 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 9:06 AM
I didn't include Deligracey because I wasn't comparing them. And because frankly no one thinks Deligracey is a good reviewer so pointing out her flaws seems rather pointless. This is the equivalent of someone talking about male suicide rates and someone else chiming in like "yeah but women get raped more" it's artificially pitting two completely unrelated things against each other because you think they should be rivals or opposites, A less serious but ultimately just as annoying example would be going on a cat video and saying "Dogs are cuter though right?" artificial, annoying, pointless and in an ideal world not something you should expect me to cater to

Edit: Also not all reviewers suffer from this problem, admittedly it depends on the genre as well, it's easier to get into the head of a different kind of sims player than it is something like whether a movie is good or bad or whether a book is. The criteria is narrower and you already know that they technically like the base game. So your guess is more educated, you could likely deduce why people like something and then identify if this product would cater to that. It's not like there aren't tons of people out there ready to explain themselves when it comes to what they like and enjoy.

Yeah I realize that shorty right before I strike through that first run off sentence.

Perhaps he might be reviewing improperly as he has BG in mind while commenting an expansion pack. Though, nontheless it still is somehow valid because for what DLC worth it isn't morally right for the asking price, thus why I agree it brings back to the issue people have with it: "Lack of depth". It's too expensive for an -alright/decent- rated pack.
dodgy builder
#47 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 9:58 AM

That's what my parents told me, you can't pay bills being an artist, so they wouldn't let me go to art school either. What you say there isn't old at all, it's just a lack of will to see painting etc as a job.

What do you do if you don't like it? No one's telling me what to buy, I watch reviews and decide if it's for me.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 10:21 AM
I agree, but you see it's easier to just sit around playing games rather than do the kinds of jobs most adults do. I think I'm just too old to understand the Millennial mindset. Or I should say most Millenials, since my niece is one, but there's no way she'd ever let her gamer husband quit his job to stream on Twitch for a living.

It’s not so much a generational thing, but an economic one. For Americans, the country is a lot different than it was 50 years ago. It’s a bit harder to make a living. Not that it hasn’t always been hard, but times certainly have changed (like millennial being less likely to buy a home compared to their parents and grandparents due to the steep rise in the cost of houses).

As for YouTube as a job, any YouTuber worth their salt does have marketable skills, and their skills will be readily apparent. A key soft skill is charisma. If they lack that in any way shape or form, they’re at a loss. Another is networking and knowing how to engage with others to improve their profitability and longevity of their channel. Time management of their videos come out weekly (some people even recording while on vacation). Lastly is marketing, their product being themselves and their content of course.

For hard skills, you have Video Editing. That’s absolute key, for obvious reasons. A well edited video is absolute gold. Alongside that it audio engineering - however much, however little. Another biggy (depending on the content, like Clint’s videos) is script writing.

It’s one things to go on Twitch and to play games of a living, but they also pick up other skills they could use for a decent living should all of this fall through. Not a lot of skills, but more than working a cash register and flipping burgers (which are fine jobs, but not incredibly well paying).

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
dodgy builder
#49 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
It’s one things to go on Twitch and to play games of a living, but they also pick up other skills they could use for a decent living should all of this fall through. Not a lot of skills, but more than working a cash register and flipping burgers (which are fine jobs, but not incredibly well paying).

That is so true. I work a cash register and the only skills I learn is how to deal with people, but still I suck at the kind of communication skills you need doing videos like they do. I guess it's very close to working at pr in a big business.
Instructor
#50 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Yeah I realize that shorty right before I strike through that first run off sentence.

Perhaps he might be reviewing improperly as he has BG in mind while commenting an expansion pack. Though, nontheless it still is somehow valid because for what DLC worth it isn't morally right for the asking price, thus why I agree it brings back to the issue people have with it: "Lack of depth". It's too expensive for an -alright/decent- rated pack.

I wouldn't call it improper reviewing, he can review however he wants, all I said was that it wasn't as useful to me as it could be. Which it isn't. But you don't need to justify that or him to me. I like his reviews, I was just pointing out that they are far from a perfect reference for gauging whether or not you will like a product. Though they do offer some insight which I pointed out in my original post.

But yeah, he can review however he likes and in whatever capacity he deems fit for himself. I'm just noting that doesn't always make him ideal as a singular customer reference. Hence why hailing him as the one honest reviewer in a sea of corporate moles while, probably accurate, doesn't really help with deciding to buy something. I suppose you could take the view that really at this point no one should be giving EA their money because EA deserves to die. Therefore anyone using Sims 4 reviews for anything more than a cheap laugh is doing it wrong and helping EA continue to defy the death it so rightly deserves to succumb to.

But I'd say that A. people will still probably be hopeful enough to want to atleast consider the new expansion and B. EA is like a Lich that needs souls to maintain it's cursed immortal existence, you can vote with your wallet all you want but unless you can stop companies from selling themselves onto EAs dinner plate you won't ever actually starve them out. Because when EA buys out a company it reels in the fans of that company and their franchises then it slowly warps and destroys and EA-ifies that Franchise then when the fans cotton on it drops the Franchise and the Studio it bought, then it skips off to find a new victim and the cycle begins a new.

But I digress, one reviewer does not a well informed customer base make.
Page 2 of 3