Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 9:01 PM
Default Unexpected Gamers
Are there people in your life (or that you may have observed from afar like celebs) that you were surprised to find out that they were gamers. Maybe not hardcore, but they may own Hitman on PC, a first gen box or a PS2.

There are two "unexpected" gamers in my life. One is my 57 year old former coworker who is a CFA, has aspergers, kind of a nerdy guy. I found out that he is an avid PC golfer. He doesn't play golf, not even mini, but he lives for the computer version. He plays golf games like I buy expansion packs.

Another is one of my girlfriends. She's 34, ultra prissy, very very girly, a "doesn't do manual labor" type of girl. Well she just bought a PS3, but she has a 360, a PS2 and XBox, a PS1 and TWO gaming computers. I knew her for 6 months before I knew that she plays games like most teenage boys! Love her for that. It was just sooooo unexpected. Her top game?? Probably Madden 05 or her old Half Life game.

Then there are celebs, it's funny to see the clips of some celebrities at some of these XBox or Playstation parties. What's funnier are the ones who actually play the games that don't seem to be (from my perception) gamers.

Then of course I ran across this picture of Alicia Keys... is that the Social Bunny?

Advertisement
#2 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 9:44 PM
My Aunt and her boyfriend (in their late 40's) are avid gamers. They play PC games and XBox 360. They even have flown across the country to go to a gathering. It's cute.
#3 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 11:07 PM
Oh, I know a lot of them My friends mom, who is like.. probably 50-something and a teacher is my best TS2 play-mate We share download links, TS2 pictures and such. She also plays few other games.
Test Subject
#4 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 11:29 PM
I found out the my teacher, who is at least 50 yearts old, as well as being supe-rnice and super-selfless plays Halo. xD

Actually, a lot of people are pretty suprised to find out that I'm a gamer...I'm pretty shy and stuff. I'll be talking to someone and they'll be like, "Wait...YOU play Super Mario?? No way!"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by broo
Oh, I know a lot of them My friends mom, who is like.. probably 50-something and a teacher is my best TS2 play-mate We share download links, TS2 pictures and such. She also plays few other games.

Ha! I wish I could get my mother to play TS2, heck I wish I could get her to PLAY anything, she's way too uptight.
#6 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 4:44 AM
My Mom loves her psp. LOL She plays Pokemon. LMAO
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 12:14 PM
Chinchillagirl6, my mom (she is 40) is nearly the same! ^_^ But she plays NDS and loves Taiko no Tatsujin and WarioWare: Touched!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 1:42 PM
Most of my tutors play video games, but i am on a Multimedia course :P.
My Grandad is 75, plays Tomb Raider, Spyro and mysterypuzzleactiony games.
My dad is a PC gaming nut (MMO, RPG, RTS, FPS, Puzzle over the times lol)
My mum sometimes plays my DS and PSOne crash.
#9 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 3:17 PM
I don't call anyone an unexpected gamer. Who defines what a gamer is, anyway?
p.s. Gamer is a stupid word anyway. I've played a game before, am I now a gamer? Or do I have to play 10? 100?
#10 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 3:39 PM
Oh c'mon, Nicola Don't be so serious. I think gamer is word for someone who plays regularly.
#11 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Willocrisp
Actually, a lot of people are pretty suprised to find out that I'm a gamer...I'm pretty shy and stuff. I'll be talking to someone and they'll be like, "Wait...YOU play Super Mario?? No way!"

That's the same with me
the other day, I was talking to some guys that are total game freaks (you know.. these kinds that are shocked to find a girl on the internet? not that I mind XD my friend -technically- introduced us) and they were really shocked to find out I was a gamer. So they asked what my top three video games ever are and I said they'd all be Super Mario games and they were quite shocked.. they said that SM's great but still shocked

but a while ago, I said SOMETHING I can't remember to one of my friends and they kept asking me questions so finally I told them that I was busy playing Sims :Dand I never thought I'd get the response "oh, I have that! It's really good! I have Pets too.." (they're not so big a fan that they'd come here though, sadly :P)
Theorist
#12 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 12:58 AM
My English teacher, my senior year of high school, was a big Sims fan. In fact, as a joke, I created her in Sim form and brought screenshots of her character to school. She loved it! Then again, she was a pretty "unusual" teacher-- she was a tiny little woman who dressed kind of goth, played rugby, and showed us "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" while we wre studying the Arthurian legend.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nicola__x
I don't call anyone an unexpected gamer. Who defines what a gamer is, anyway?
p.s. Gamer is a stupid word anyway. I've played a game before, am I now a gamer? Or do I have to play 10? 100?

Well thanks, you're super awesome! :handbag:
Forum Resident
#14 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 3:27 PM
So far I haven't met any TS2 gamer in real life or on the Internet except here at MTS2/S2C.

Don't know why ... :P

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 6:21 PM
My mom.

When I was in college, I brought my computer home during the summer. I had TS1. I couldn't keep my mom out of my room! One morning, after working a double shift that lasted until 1:30am or so, I woke up at 6am to find my mom happily clicking away at TS1 even though I was trying to sleep only a few feet away. When I complained, she made me go sleep in her room just so that she could play the sims!

As far as I know, she hasn't gotten into TS2 because her computer can't run the game, but she was absolutely obsessed with TS1. She'd play for hours... in my room... and then she'd have the nerve to be miffed when I wanted to do something like sleep or read or, horror of horrors, use my own computer. It was weird. Eventually, I bought her a sims game of her own for a holiday of some sort. She loved it.
#16 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 6:40 PM
OK, I don't know anyone who is an avid gamer, but I was suprised to find out Gerard Way (lead singer of My Chemical Romance) plays the Sims 2.

EDIT: Wait, yes I do! My brother. He played Sims 1 all the time and I would watch him. He would hardly come out of his room unless her was called or wanted food.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 6:48 PM
Well, my mom loves playing the Star Wars games on the xbox. I also bought her an olod nintendo system so she could play her dr. mario, mario 3 and paperboy games. She loves the star wars games though. She could sit there for about 3 hrs. straight, which is a record for her. She's 51 years old. I love that my mom loves those games. Must be where I got my 'gaming' from. lol.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 6:52 PM
My sister is the last person I would expect to be a gamer, and yet she plays WoW, Guitar Hero, DDR, Grand Theft Auto, and occasionally she plays Halo III with my brother. She's quite feminine, loves chick flicks and has three closets of clothes, so people are astonished when I tell them I spent the night shooting virtual people with my sister. They're always like, "Huh? YOUR sister plays Halo? Are you for real?" I still can't get her interested in TS2, though... it's only a matter of time and how much I nag her :D.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Test Subject
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 1:18 AM
Honestly, there isn't many people that I know that are "secret gamers" lol.
If anything, I would consider myself one, I really don't go around bragging about it, I don't think.