Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 1:00 AM
Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 2601 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 9:21 PM
Default Career Descriptions
HI im trying to change the career job titles and descriptions.

Ive found the job tiles in the packages0 file, and changed them but the descriptions are in a string file that has the extention of .STBL file.

I did read in another post about a program called POSTAL-Lipid Lama or something, but it dosent run for some reason. I think its because im running windows x64 bit and its still early stages of development for that program. So does anyone know a way of opening these other than using that POSTAL program? If you open them on notepad they kind of open but its still not working properly.

If any one knows another way to edit that file it would be a help.
Advertisement
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#2 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon
HI im trying to change the career job titles and descriptions.

Ive found the job tiles in the packages0 file, and changed them but the descriptions are in a string file that has the extention of .STBL file.

I did read in another post about a program called POSTAL-Lipid Lama or something, but it dosent run for some reason. I think its because im running windows x64 bit and its still early stages of development for that program. So does anyone know a way of opening these other than using that POSTAL program? If you open them on notepad they kind of open but its still not working properly.

If any one knows another way to edit that file it would be a help.

AFAIK, there hasn't been a STBL editor released yet, so to edit it, you'll have to use a hex editor.
Test Subject
#3 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 12:06 AM
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=344643

That thread might help you. They figured out how to mod the names and descriptions of careers.
Retired Duck
staff: retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 1:31 AM
Quote:
I did read in another post about a program called POSTAL-Lipid Lama or something, but it dosent run for some reason. I think its because im running windows x64 bit and its still early stages of development for that program.

Can you clarify what isn't working for you? It should work on 64 bit Windows fine, as long as you're not running 3d previews.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 3:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo
Can you clarify what isn't working for you? It should work on 64 bit Windows fine, as long as you're not running 3d previews.

It installs but when i run it i get an error message saying:

"Windows cannot find 'javaw', Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

They are the exact words that come up... which i have no clue about.

Oh ye and reply to Gamb: I did read all that thread and i managed to change the career titles but when i ran it in game it came out all strange. I changed the job titles for the science career from:

Test Subject ---> Lab Technician just to try it out, and when i ran the game it said this for his job title...

**** Gameplay/Exel/careers/science:LabTechnician ****

pretty random hu.. and I duno where that Exel/careers file is because I had a look through the stuff, uless its refering to the package0 file.

I dont have a clue how to edit the characters though to make the job title fit properly because you have to use the hex editor thing and its like way to confusing unless some one makes a tut.

Anyway thanks for replys.
Test Subject
#6 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:56 PM
Quote:

"Windows cannot find 'javaw', Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

Hi,

Not trying to hijack but since its 3am tomorrow morning in Melbourne you might not get an answer from Echo for a while.

It looks very much like you do not have Java Runtime 1.6 installed while is a requirement for Postal. Go to

www.java.com

and follow the "Free Java Download" link.

-feefa
Field Researcher
#7 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 12:57 AM
Quote:

They are the exact words that come up... which i have no clue about.

Oh ye and reply to Gamb: I did read all that thread and i managed to change the career titles but when i ran it in game it came out all strange. I changed the job titles for the science career from:

Test Subject ---> Lab Technician just to try it out, and when i ran the game it said this for his job title...

**** Gameplay/Exel/careers/science:LabTechnician ****

pretty random hu.. and I duno where that Exel/careers file is because I had a look through the stuff, uless its refering to the package0 file.

I dont have a clue how to edit the characters though to make the job title fit properly because you have to use the hex editor thing and its like way to confusing unless some one makes a tut.

Anyway thanks for replys.

If you get it a weird ID with asterisks, the text is missing or improperly formatted.

I'll assume you're using a hex editor: Make sure you stick a 00 byte in between each character (not a space) and that after you write the string, you skip back exactly 4 bytes and enter the length of the string in letters and spaces - as it will show up in the game - converted to hex.

If you use Postal it does all that for you of course.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected]
If you get it a weird ID with asterisks, the text is missing or improperly formatted.

I'll assume you're using a hex editor: Make sure you stick a 00 byte in between each character (not a space) and that after you write the string, you skip back exactly 4 bytes and enter the length of the string in letters and spaces - as it will show up in the game - converted to hex.

If you use Postal it does all that for you of course.

Please please explain how to use this hex editor lol its anoying me so much...

I opened the ENG stbl file with a free hex editor but i realy dont understand how this thing works.. is there any tutorials on this kind of thing anywhere?

I understand from what ive read if ive understood it correctly that each character in the name such as "Private" is a 00 and the space is a 00 and classed as a character. And that you have to change the hex to match the new amount of letters that you want for it to show up properly. But i dont understand this byte thing and where these certain numbers are... all i see is a huge grid of random two digit numbers and letters that look as if you need to be able to decode the matrix to understand lol