Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 8:01 PM
Hot country = Greasy hair!!
Quite random but im getting quite sick of it

Iv lived in Cyprus for a while now and i have 2 wash my hair everyday (condition it every 2days) becuase at the end of the day my hair always ends up greasy!

Any ideas what could help stop this? Like some kind of shampoo or conditioner! HELP! Its stressing me out LOL!

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 8:14 PM
3 things that i find help combat greasy teenage male hair....

1. DON'T vigourously rub your scalp, it will only stimulate the oil glands....Be gentle!
2. Have you ever tried facial wash on your hair..that seems to help
3. Also if you can DON'T condition your hair....

I also know that head and shoulders have now made a light anti- greasy shampoo and conditioner range...that could help....

Although some tricologists say that washing hair everyday can be good.....

Also this is a horrible but works method that can hlp you not have to wash it daily...try dry shampoo, its like talcum powder...sprinkle and go..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 8:30 PM
1. Yeah i play with my hair often! School bores me! LMAO!
2. Facial wash! thats neww! lol
and 3. I fort conditioning it really helps! lol

head&shoulders didnt work with me Cant buy it here anyway, its hard to buy because its an english product boo!

Thanks anyway :D
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 8:39 PM
Around here it is generally known that washing your hair daily increases the greasiness, or at the very least does nothing to change it.
my grandmother once told me, that if you want to get rid of it, you should wash your hair with shampoo only once a week, and just take normal showers the rest of the week. Though...that's my granny :D

1. get some advice from a hairdresser?
2. it can also be due to hormones or your eating habits.
3. olive oil is good for your hair, just rub some in, let it "simmer :P" for 3/4 hours then wash it out. If it starts to get frizzy, you could also try heating the olive oil beforehand (not to boiling temperatures though :P)
4. or lemon oil, which you rub in together with your shampoo, and then rinse out together with your shampoo
Alchemist
#5 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 8:41 PM
Well I wash my hair almost daily too, and I don't live in a hot country. All those hair products never really made any difference; my hair just gets greasy and I can't leave it more than 3 days. I've tried the whole "leave it for a week or it will get worse" method too -the only thing that happened was that my head looked like a greasball for a week, then it got greasy just as quickly. It's okay though, it doesn't bother me to shower. Since you're a teen, you can hope your glands will become less active when you get older, mine have improved somewhat since those days. But not by much

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
#6 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 8:50 PM
dry shampoo or talcolm powder dry shampoos better buts its harder to find put some on your hair but not too much or your hair will go white and all the grease just disapeears
#7 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 9:48 PM
As TingTong said - don't rub you scalp too much. Instead use the palms of your hands to massage in the shampoo and try to only condition the ends of your hair.
#8 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 4:38 AM
Enjoy it while you have it
well you might not be able to accept this but

don't do anything to it, naturally let it grow out of being greasy. after all you'll only be a teen once.

however if you are producing and enormous amount of oil maybe you can try this massage suggested by the good people from care2

Inspired by How to Feel Fabulous Today, by Stephanie Tourles (Storey Books, 2001).
If you want your hair to have more bounce and body, more lustrous shine and softness--while helping to normalize scalp conditions like dandruff or the over-production of oil--then this quick trick is for you.
SIMPLE SOLUTION: Rejuvenate those lifeless locks in just a few minutes a day, and with no hair products to buy or make. Find out the trick here:

Just 5 minutes of scalp massage every day can do wonders for your hair, since many hair problems stem for lack of circulation in the scalp. Here’s how to do it:

1. Bend over at the waist while standing or sitting to begin increasing circulation.

2. Put your fingertips underneath your hair at the base of your neck and use small circular motions to massage this area. Slowly move up and forward toward your forehead.

3. Once you’ve reached your forehead, reverse directions and massage back down to the base of your neck.

4. Beginning with your fingertips at the base of your neck, move up and over each ear toward your temples. Do 10 slow, circular motions over your temples. As you do this, you will feel any tension drain from your head. Now reverse direction and return to the base of your neck.

HELPFUL HINTS: This massage is also effective for tension headaches and insomnia.
Instructor
#9 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 8:34 AM
Shampooing just your scalp and conditioning just the ends helps.
#10 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 10:29 AM
Well, eruwenfuin's grandma was right. BUT. It doesn't help for everyone. Air, food, shampoo, all those things have impact on the work of our oil glands. When I was a teen I only had to wash my hair with shampoo every 3 days, now I have to do it at least every other day. I've noticed the greasiness depending on the shampoo I use! Some help my hair and some make the situation even worse. Even if you already found the most suitable shampoo, changing it once in a while is recomended. Looks like our hair can get used to the shampoo making it's effects less noticable! I made a research and found out that conditioner washes hair too, but doesn't dry it as shampoo does. So conditioning hair when needed and washing with shampoo once a week should help reducing oilyness. Also, give your hair a good brush! While brushing natural oils cover hair in order to protect it. Doing that after every wash helps reduce oilyness as well. And keep your hair tied That will prevent you from touching it. And the more you touch it the more oil your glands produce (because you stimulate them). I've tried all those methods myself and they helped me a lot. It's a shame I don't have enough time for my hair now..
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 10:40 AM
I heard you have to dry-rub (can you say that?) your hair in a gentle way (with a towel) instead of doing it like crazy. I would'nt suggest washing your hair daily either. Dry shampoo gives a non-greasy feeling but that doesn't last very long when I use it.
Scholar
#12 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 11:58 AM
I doubt heat has anything to do with it....cause I live in Kuwait and it doesn't effect me, but maybe I don't have greasy hair to begin with...

I believe my sister had the same problem. She used some herbal thing...
#13 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 12:03 PM
O___o
I wash my hair every day, and...quite honestly it's really not that stressful. Though, I suppose it might be different with others.
And I beg to differ--washing your hair once a day actually dries the hair out. If you think it's a product that's making your hair greasy, it's definitely the conditioner. I used to use a buttload and it made my hair icky, try reducing the amount you use to just a dime-sized bit if you don't already.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 12:14 PM
wow i come back from school and lots of messages ;D;D
thanks guys! :D

nixie not too keen on the "leave it for a week" LOL! im a girl who loves to look good. greasy hair is a definate no-no! lol
#15 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 2:54 PM
Your hair is greasy because you wash it every day. You're washing all of the good out of your hair. & When did this place become a personal problems board?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 12:27 PM
Nicola theres no need to be rude.. its a general discussion, alot of people have this problem and i dont see why i cant put it here!
#17 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 12:41 PM
Well, Nicola, I must say I beg to differ.

"Frequent washing does not encourage the production of grease."
That is a statement that I have found from several different sources.

"Not shampooing often enough may result in a build-up of grease and material - environmental dirt and bacteria - on the hair."

Maybe this will provide a useful link for you:
http://www.womenfitness.net/beauty/...iggest_hair.htm
Forum Resident
#18 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 12:46 PM
I think I will say the same as many have done that a number of reasons that can affect this problem.

1. Air or Air pollutions
2. Water
3. Climate or Humidity (Very little to do with the heat as someone mentioned)
4. Shampoo
5. Food or fat intake in your diet
6. Your DNA
7. How often do you wash

The food and your DNA are two primary causes, and the third one I will say is the climate.

Added:
First, you can ask your parents and/or blood relatives to see if they have a similar problem. If no one in the family has this problem, then you should this problem is caused externally, not genetically.
Second, you can adjust your diet a little like reducing animal fat intake.
As for the climate, I think there is little that you can do. :P

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 8:56 AM
Thanks KKai! Yup about the climate, not alot I could too!

Thanks for everybodys help Much appreciated
Test Subject
#20 Old 15th Oct 2007 at 8:41 PM
Get some professional products. Go to a good salon and ask for products recommendations. I started using professional products just a week ago, after using drug store shampoos for all my life and I am noticing a difference already! Also, don't condition your scalp, apply the conditioner to ends of your hair only.