Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 6:24 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default My sim died the instant he moved into a dorm!
Okay, for some insane reason, one of my sims died the second the little cinema ended. All his needs zapped into red and he expired. I've lost him for good, it would seem, because not saving STILL did not bring him back in either the college bin or his house. Thank goodness I have a recent backup, but I can't just replace the old house, I have to replace the whole damn neighborhood. In the meantime, does anyone have any idea why this hapened? I'm afraid to move anyone else in for fear of losing them as well.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 6:25 AM
That is so very wierd. Could it have to do with hacks?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 6:40 AM
I do have a few, but I can't imagine which hack is doing this. I already removed the Insiminator, the phone/taxi hack, and the novel progress hack. I DID discover an Education Career when I ran a more recent hack scan, along with a sports car and an Energy PC...I'll check on those tomorrow, my gaming PC is currently off. If anyone else had this happen though, let me know! It really sucks, I'd spent all evening getting his family set up for him to go college.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 6:41 AM
I think i read in another post that a guy had his whole dorm die and it was caused by a hack, i think it was the insimenator but im not sure.
Try removing all your hacks (if you have any) and see if that works, then try putting them back, one at a time til you see what causes it. Hope that helps

:howdy:
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 12:52 PM
what euroboy said - seriously read the front page - what does it say??? The hacks are based on the core language of the vanilla game - having hacks in there is just silly.

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:23 PM
I've really only been killing hacks based on forum reactions to them, since not all the hacks were causing negative reactions (especially none so...dramatic...) and some of them were harmless (Merola's paintings). I was expecting only game crashes, and I couldn't find anything despite digging around that dealt with hacks causing instantaneous death. If I'd had an inkling it would cause something so dramatic, I'd have been playing clean anyway.

BTW, I had already deleted The Insiminator (interfered with Sim pie menus), the phone/taxi hack (people left community lots upon entering), and the novel progress hack (seemed to interfere with my computers, but I may put it back since I narrowed down that problem to just the Alienware PC not being properly updated).

In the meantime, replacing my neighborhood wiped all my students, so I foolishly went to re-install University without backing up ALL of my Sims 2 directory...only to find that uninstallation wiped the entire directory, including the other neighborhoods, the screenshots, the music...ugh. The story of my life.

So when I finally got it up and running again, I made a sim named Duncan McDecoy to test run. He survived. I have no idea what hack it was, but I had to dig pretty deep to find them all - I can't tell you how many hacks I had that I had never installed on my own that weren't getting picked up by CleanPack (which I just updated last night to find all the hacks).
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:53 PM
Well, I removed all my hacks. My sims can now go to class at least. I'm not putting them back until the modders fix them. And I am sure they will.

Please join us at the Gay Sims Club 2 forums. Where you will find discussions and links to great Content for the Sims 2!
The Gay Sims Club 2
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:54 PM
Just completely get rid of ALL your downloaded things, mods, skins, hacks, etc. Put them in a folder on your desktop.

Then try the game. If no one dies, then good. Put your downloads back in, a few at a time, logging each ones you put in and when. After every 3-5 downloads you put in, run the game and see if the problem happens again. When it does, take thos 3-5 files out, and redo it one-by-one until you've found the problematic file.

I know this can take a loooong time, based on how many downloads you have. My suggestion is to completely delete skins/hacks/mods that you feel you can live without, and then try this.

This, to me, is the only fool-proof way to go about things, but all fool-proof alternatives are a pain in the ass, sorry. . You might want to wait until someone can verify that this process will work, but I'm pretty sure it will.
Test Subject
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 3:00 PM
I'm having the exact same problem. But my sim's needs don''t go read, the thing that shows all the needs/wants dissapears, and then my sim dies. The only hacks I left in my game were melora's painting (which I found out wasn't the culprit by testing it by itself), so I think it's the Insim causing it.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 4:56 PM
I had to remove the insiminator because it only gave me "suicide" options. So sad...I love that hack!
Ice Princess
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 5:01 PM
spithead.....The InSIMenator destination version works with university. Eric will be updating to a verson strickly for university in the next few days we hope.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by just kathy
spithead.....The InSIMenator destination version works with university. Eric will be updating to a verson strickly for university in the next few days we hope.

thanks...you just cheered me up...i am such a little cheater!
Ice Princess
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 5:11 PM
lmao You and I both spithead
Instructor
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 5:13 PM
I have a question for anyone using ONLY bodyshop and homecrafter items in their downloads.. How are the load times with that stuff in your downloads? Right now, I have nothing in my downloads folder at all, and Uni has been running pretty smoothly.. I wanna add some of my bodyshop and homecrafter custom content back into the folder little by little... but I was just wondering if anyone else had used this method already, and what their experience was in doing so?
Test Subject
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 5:15 PM
Rebochan - Where did you get the CleanPack that got the hacks? Thanks
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 5:29 PM
If any of you are getting dead sims remove the following hacks

Insiminator 1.4bsim
1.5sim

JT's Teens woohoo and more both types jealous and non jealous
THIS ONE IS A BIGGIE as it will screw a lot up with Uni

The other teen woohoo by jen

and any of winters cars or objects that account for suicide spawns.
uni sims like to auto do things and summoning death by flies can happen with them or death by anything.

Far as I can see the pregnancy for all works ok and all the hacked objects work just fine. with the exception of those two versions of insiminator

Insiminator 1.5OBJ works but not 1.5sim

So far as testing has done on my end has found. However the teen woohoo mod will cause a lot of major problems getting your sims to spawn diffrent actions therefore interacting with death objects. Why this happens with this mod is unknown to me.. all i know is it just does.

Remove that if you have it and things will improve for you a great deal

Hope this helps

rain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 5:44 PM
Thanks Rain,

I suspected the cars because everybody started dying after I
put them in, but I didn't have time to test it.
I'm sure winter will make a change or tell us how.
Test Subject
#18 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pippi420
I have a question for anyone using ONLY bodyshop and homecrafter items in their downloads.. How are the load times with that stuff in your downloads? Right now, I have nothing in my downloads folder at all, and Uni has been running pretty smoothly.. I wanna add some of my bodyshop and homecrafter custom content back into the folder little by little... but I was just wondering if anyone else had used this method already, and what their experience was in doing so?

I kept all of my homecrafter and body shop items (I only had like 5 hacks to begin with so they were easily removed) and the load times seemed fine for me. I'm not as much of a download fiend as some people seem to be though - only about 800 files in my download folder. ;p
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 6:24 PM
When I was testing all my downloads, I was working with a few thousand at at time and I was pleased with how the game loaded. I do seem to have more lag in the game, I suspect due to all the students running around. It is pretty heavy on the processor. I suspect that is why the game removes all the furniture in the dorm rooms that your sims don't live in. I am going to see how it runs tonight with my 20k of downloads. I know the game boots up and runs. It is waiting for me to enter a lot right now.

DS

"Just one more download. I promise!"
Test Subject
#20 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 7:02 PM
I'm getting sim-death even with no download folder ... although it is possible that it's still at fault (I moved my sim in, then removed the DL folder - not due to death, but because it wouldn't even finish loading). I think I'll try re-moving in entirely and seeing what happens.

I am so glad my uni life has been longer than my sims ...

A foggy morning greets me quietly today
I smell a fragrance in the wind blowing my way
And ever further I run to find her
I yearn to define my life
Placing my faith in chance to meet me in half way
#21 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 1:07 AM
Default problem with the sims 2 university
Quote: Originally posted by Rebochan
I do have a few, but I can't imagine which hack is doing this. I already removed the Insiminator, the phone/taxi hack, and the novel progress hack. I DID discover an Education Career when I ran a more recent hack scan, along with a sports car and an Energy PC...I'll check on those tomorrow, my gaming PC is currently off. If anyone else had this happen though, let me know! It really sucks, I'd spent all evening getting his family set up for him to go college.

The sims university ruined my game.My daughter got engaged and all her memories were erased.She didnt even know her fiancee was.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 1:21 AM
See College is stressful for everyone...even sims...they'd rather commit suicide then face midterms!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 3:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grykon
See College is stressful for everyone...even sims...they'd rather commit suicide then face midterms!
LOL, that's what I thought when it happened.
Test Subject
#24 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 11:06 PM
Does someone know whar caused Rebochans problem, I have the same. Have spent 4 hours searching for hacks. The game is fine as long as I donĀ“t do anything but as soon I either pause or try to asign a room the sim gets electrified and all stats dropps to zero.
Test Subject
#25 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 1:13 PM
I have several hacks, and have tested with and without them to see if the instant death problem was caused by them. I have also been having that problem. I don't know about anyone else's game, but in mine it's caused when the lot has any of the Myne doors. My suggestion is to build a house without this door, then use the "changeLotZoning dorm" cheat and save to change it to a dorm. I had a dorm with the doors, and when I moved sims in, they all died off. When I went back and removed the reservable doors, and then moved them back in, they were fine.
Page 1 of 2