Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 7:49 PM Last edited by Elexis : 5th Apr 2011 at 12:59 AM.
Milkshape plugin problem (solved)
Hello,
I have a problem with a few of milkshape plugins and tools.

First of all, when I try to export my mesh with Q-mesh Sims 3 GEOM exporter, I get an error that says "You cannot export this mesh. You must split the seams first.". I'm not sure what it all means, so if anyone with experience could kindly explain it, I would much appreciate it.

And another problem. When I try to lower the poly count of my mesh with the DirectX mesh tool, the place where my mesh is supposed to be displayed is empty. It shows the poly count, but it doesn't do anything when I lower it. This issue only occurs with one mesh, everything's fine with all the others. Any ideas?

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 11:55 PM
"You cannot export this mesh. You must split the seams first.". means that you have welded vertices on seams.
You normally should lookup were the seams are(use the uvmap as reference) then split the verts but you might can fix this with using Milshape's Model cleaner.
Choose the model cleaner from the tools menu, click no on the first popup, then ok.

Not sure wat you mean with the direct x tool, are you using it on bodymeshes and morphs?(wich is not possible)
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jan 2011 at 2:45 AM
Thanks BloomsBase, your tip on the seams worked

About the DirectX mesh tool. I use it on a hair mesh, it works on other hair meshes just fine. The DirectX mesh tool's window is black, though the mesh is loaded in to milkshape. See attachment.
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 29th Jan 2011 at 4:11 PM
Oh, no idea....maybe because it has double sided faces
But if the tool works i wouldn't worry to much about it.

However,
you normally should delete the backfaces beforing using the tool, to avoid errors
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 1:17 AM
That's the thing, it only works on other meshes, but not this one. There are no backfaces.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 9:04 AM
I have no idea...
Duplicate the whole mesh, delete the original and try it on the duplicate?
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 6:49 AM
It doesn't work on the duplicate either.
Test Subject
#8 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 11:04 PM
I had the same two problems, for the first, thanks BloomsBase, for helping me.
About the DirectX mesh tool, did this happen to you when you wanted to reduce amount of the faces for the 2nd time? To me it was such case. You could try to align the normals first...
I menage to do it by always reducing faces from original mesh I used for LOD0... Hope this late response helps, I just started to play with this.
Scholar
#9 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 2:21 PM
Sometimes the Direct X tool just doesn't work. I find though if I "weld together" a group or some parts of the mesh, then it will allow me to decrease the poly.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 7:00 PM
The best way is to regroup all your meshgroups into one(not when morphs are involved, but the tool doesn't work on those anyway without messin things up)
then scale that mesh 10000 times bigger(depending how close vertices lay within eachothers reach)
then weld all together
then use direct x tool
then scale the mesh back
then use the model cleaner(clicking no on both popups) to seperate the uvmapped parts again
then divide your meshes again in seperate groups
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 12:56 AM
Thanks to everyone, but I've already have a solution. I just use Align Normals and everything wored :D

My Simblr - ElexisSims
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 1:06 AM
just keep in mind that if your creating clothing the neck/waist and ankle seams use specific normal settings.
You can copy them from a basegame mesh with either extended manual edit(Demon's plugin for Milkshape) or Wes H his merge tools
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
just keep in mind that if your creating clothing the neck/waist and ankle seams use specific normal settings.
You can copy them from a basegame mesh with either extended manual edit(Demon's plugin for Milkshape) or Wes H his merge tools

I know that, but this was hair mesh, so I don't need them
I have created another thread on clothing mesh issue, so if you have a minute, check it out please. I see you know a lot about Sims 3 clothing so I really could use an advise from you

My Simblr - ElexisSims
Test Subject
#14 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 2:38 AM
hi there i a different problem when i try to import my sims2 plugin nothing happen it all empty =(
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#15 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 5:06 AM
@lemagloria, you just answered to a 4-year-old thread. Don't do that. Please start a new thread about the issue you're having and explain it as specific as you can.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Locked thread | Locked by: Buzzler Reason: threadcromancy is bad m'kay