Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 3:26 PM
Great update! I love your consistent inclusion of pictures and dialogue. I can't wait to read more of what will become of the stranded Sims...

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 4:30 PM
Not nice, Regina, not nice at all.

Good for Catalina; she doesn't need to put up with Athens' nonsense, especially when she's not being paid any more. I felt sorry for Carlos, though.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#53 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 3:27 AM
Oh my! I am so very far behind in my posting!
Or maybe I've just been playing too much.
I just realized that I am heading into winter -- the next winter after this winter that my story Sims are preparing for!
I'll try to do a little bit of catch up in the next few posts.

The survivors headed toward the beach to look for reeds and hardy, tall grass to insulate the huts roof. On their hike, David Eaton spotted what looked like a small camp at the far end of the beach.

"Hurry," David said. "Maybe they've got a phone and can call for help."

"Or they can point us toward town and we can call, after we grab a burger and fries," Rolf said. "I'm sick of living on fish, coconuts and papaya."

"Be careful," the Captain warned. "We don't know who might be living there. They might not be as happy to see us as we are to see them--and they might have weapons."

"I'm not afraid," Athens said. "I've got Rolf as my companion. He'll protect me. He has a knife."

"I've got the ax," Carlos said. "I'll protect you."

"You think you and your ax can take on me and my knife?" Rolf, his eyes bulging, pointed at Carlos.

Carlos lifted the ax. "Yeah, I do. Come over here and I'll show you."

"Knock it off, you two," Captain Grumby said. "If there's any fighting to be done, it won't be among ourselves."

"There he goes again," Otis said. "The Captain doesn't even have a boat and he still thinks he's in charge."

"Shush," the Captain ordered. "I hear something. Sounds like voices."

The group now quiet, huddled close to one another and listened. Sure enough, along with the sound of the ocean waves, the survivors heard voices.

The group hurried through the patch of tall grass and saw two men on a knoll, above the beach. One was in the trees. The other was on the ground, catching the coconuts the first man tossed down.

"Hey, it's Barnaby and his friend, Stanlee," David shouted. "They're alive."

Elaine, usually quiet and reserved, ran toward the men and gave each of them a big hug. "I'm so glad to see you. We thought --." She lowered her head. "Never mind that. You're safe and that's what matters."

The celebration was short. Soon, Carlos and Rolf were arguing again. David stepped to keep them from fighting. Meanwhile, Stanlee confronted the Captain.

"You left us for dead," Stanley said. "You climbed into your safe lifeboat and left us behind, knowing that we might well die out there. All you cared about was saving yourself. You didn't care at all about what happened to Barnaby and me. What kind of captain are you?"

"Hold on," Captain Grumby said. "You've got the wrong idea about what happened out there."

"That's right," Elaine said. "The Captain didn't want to leave you. None of us did. But after we loaded up the lifeboats with our supplies, one of them broke loose and the other started taking on water. Barnaby insisted that those of us who were already in the lifeboat go, while it could stay afloat."

"I don't believe you," Stanlee said. "Barnaby would have told me if that was true."

Barnaby stepped forward. "It's true, Stanlee. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I didn't want you to be mad."

"Why didn't you get in the lifeboat and go with them?" Stanlee glared at Barnaby. "You could have saved yourself."

Barnaby shrugged.

"He stayed to save you," Carlos said. "To be honest, I don't think any of us would have made it had we waited another ten minutes or taken another man into the lifeboat. We barely made it close enough to swim to safety when the lifeboat started to sink. Rolf and the Captain grabbed the ropes with their teeth and pulled in the supplies as they swam. Several of swam to shore with a child on our back, clutching us around our neck. In the end, Barnaby saved us all."

"You're a fool Barnaby Benefactor. A fool that I'm proud to say is my best friend." Stanlee grabbed Barnaby and hugged him.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#54 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 4:18 AM
That afternoon, all of the survivors--including Stanlee and Barnaby--gathered at the Survivor Camp to finish the hut. Then they feasted on a meal of trout and coconut. They celebrated finding each other. They celebrated finishing the cabin. They celebrated because they were alive--and because they could.

Captain Jonas Grumby woke early the next morning. He'd had another nightmare about the shipwreck--and about leaving Barnaby and Stanlee behind. "No more," he whispered. "No more of these nightmares. Every last one of us is safe."

Captain Grumby walked around the camp, checking for any signs of an intruder. There had been a bear once and a boar another time. This morning, all he saw were deer tracks.

The Captain peeked into the hut, where the children were sleeping on beds Ivan and Rodney had made for them. The rest of the survivors were sleeping on logs, in a tent or in lean-tos outside. Captain Grumby smiled. It had been a good week. A very good week indeed, he thought.

An hour later, Regina woke Elaine. "I'm going to go to the beach. Do you want to go with me?"

"The beach? Why? We have enough reeds and grass."

"I just want to go. C'mon. Get up and come with me."

Halfway to Barnaby's beachside camp, Elaine guessed the reason for her sister's beach trip. "You want to see Stanlee, don't you? I saw you flirting with him yesterday."

"So? What if I do?"

"He doesn't live on the beach. Barnaby does. Stanlee has a cabin up in the forest."

"I know. But he told me that he was spending the night on the beach with Barnaby then heading to his cabin after lunch."

"Ah. I see. And I guess you are hoping for a cozy little invite?"

"Maybe."

The rest of the afternoon went mostly as Elaine expected.
There was lots of flirting.

And kissing.

But none of it included her. Even when they were teens, Regina always had always stolen away the boys' attention.

While Elaine cooked a meal of sea bass on the grill, Barnaby and Regina got into an argument. Neither would say what the argument was about. But it made Regina so angry that she slapped him silly--not once, but twice.

Elaine tugged at her sister's arm. "That's it. We're going back to camp. You two will have to finish your prize match at another time."

"You go," Regina said. "I'm going to the cabin with Stanlee."

"You barely know him, and now you're going to stay overnight in his cabin?"

"No. I'm going to live with him in his cabin. He asked me to move in."

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Forum Resident
#55 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 5:34 PM
I feel silly, but it shows my gameplay. I swore that when Regina and Elaine walked down to the beach, they'd find the guys fooling around. Guess I was in the mood for some heartbreak!

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 7:23 PM
@SIMelissa I like how Stanlee and Barnaby are met by the rest of the survivors.

Regina moves fast since she is moving in with Stanlee so soon.

I do like how you tell such a good consistent story. I would likely do the same if I could

As it is I just post how I play along with some insight into the inner workings of my Sims since that is what I can do.

I really like how your story is progressing and I am waiting with some anticipation for some more.

{Thinking of Rocky Horror Picture Show when I type Anticipation. }

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#57 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 5:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
@SIMelissa I like how Stanlee and Barnaby are met by the rest of the survivors.
Regina moves fast since she is moving in with Stanlee so soon.
I do like how you tell such a good consistent story. I would likely do the same if I could
As it is I just post how I play along with some insight into the inner workings of my Sims since that is what I can do.
I really like how your story is progressing and I am waiting with some anticipation for some more.
{Thinking of Rocky Horror Picture Show when I type Anticipation. }

@lordtyger9, thanks for the nice words.
I think many of us play in a similar manner. As we go along, we construct a story in our heads. Putting that story to paper can be difficult, especially if one's talent lies in another area. I can write a sentence, but these days I can't seem to do a simple math problem in my head. If you were to ask me what 7 + 8 is, I'd have to take off my shoes so that I could count my toes as well as my fingers!

And yes, Regina does move fast. She was slapping Barnaby and kissing Stanlee without any help from me. I had someone else in mind for Stanlee, but I guess he and Regina had other ideas. So, I just went along with it. Sometimes I do ... sometimes I don't.

Shipwreck Island
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 5:12 AM
Gosh I miss this game (PS2 Version, the PC version sucks) so much.

I remember it having a beautiful athmosphere, especially the second island

This song reminds me of the game, I don't know why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRHyjj34ZE
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#59 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 10:30 AM Last edited by SIMelissa : 21st Sep 2017 at 11:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SophieModan
Gosh I miss this game (PS2 Version, the PC version sucks) so much.
I remember it having a beautiful athmosphere, especially the second island
This song reminds me of the game, I don't know why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRHyjj34ZE

I am surprised that you liked the PS2 version but not the PC version. I love the PC version. I never played it on PS2, but my son says it was boring. I guess that's why there are different versions--for different people. :-)
I like the Shakira song. I have the Laundry Service album and enjoy almost every song on it.

Finding Barnaby and Stanlee alive and well changed life on the island. Not only did Regina move in with Stanlee, but now other survivors were wondering if they, too, should create their own version of home outside the commune-like Survivors Camp.

Otis was the first to bring up the idea during a group gathering. As usual, he used it as an opportunity to complain about Captain Grumby. "The Captain acts like he is island president and the rest of us are supposed to do what he says. I'm sick of it. I'm going to take my kids and move to the beach."

"You mean after winter, right?" Elaine asked her brother.

"No. Barnaby sleeps on the beach in a hammock. The kids and I can do the same. Maybe I'll even dig up a treasure chest like Barnaby did."

"A treasure chest will not keep your family warm or put food in their stomachs," the Captain said.

"See? There he goes again. Lecture, lecture, lecture. I'm sick of it. Me and my kids are moving out tomorrow."

Later that evening, Otis asked Gina Matthews to move with him. "Winston is an okay cook, but she's not as good as you."

Before she could answer Otis, David Eaton countered Otis' offer. "I'd like you to move with my family. If you can wait a day, I'll build us a hut and maybe even a bed to go in it."

Gina was speechless for a moment. She was smitten with Otis, David and the Captain, unsure of who she liked best. So, she looked at the situation from another perspective. She could go with Otis, be a much-needed mother to his children and sleep on a hammock on the beach. She could go with David, be a mother to his children and live in a hut. Or she could stay at Survivors Camp and hope that the Captain would make a similar offer if he chose to move. The choice was clear. Winter was coming, and she'd not slept in a bed for months. She turned to David, "If you promise to build a hut and a bed, I'll move with you."

David, thrilled with Gina's decision, grabbed Gina and kissed her while Otis could only watch.

On the other side of Survivors Camp, Rolf was making a deal with Barnaby. He agreed to help Barnaby build a pit toilet and shower contraption like the one Rodney Merrymaker and Ivan Killjoy built for their family camp. In return, Barnaby would give Rolf a tent that washed up on shore and a diamond ring from the treasure chest.

The next morning, Otis shuffled his kids off to the beach, David built a bed big enough for two, and Rolf convinced Athens to live with him, in the tent he bartered from Barnaby.

On the second day, Carlos Lopez and his sister, Catalina, built a comfortable hut with two bedrooms and a small eating area between. Carlos was heartbroken by Athens decision to move in with Rolf and spent most of his time relaxing on his bed and sulking. Catalina was glad to finally have a bit of time away from the Survivor Camp crowd, but she realized she would need to learn how to cook if she and her brother were to survive.

With only Elaine Dagmar and the Captain left in camp, they decided to take up residence indoors. Theirs was not a cozy arrangement. Elaine and the Captain slept in separate beds on opposite sides of the room. The Captain even turned his bed so that he would not face Elaine when he lay in bed to read.

Meanwhile, Rolf and Athens woohood until they both imagined they heard music.

Rolf knew it was the perfect day to ask Athens Moneymaker, millionaire heiress, to be his bride.

Shipwreck Island
Field Researcher
#60 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 5:42 PM
I hope Captain Grumby forgives himself. He made a decision to save the most people possible and that's all he could do.

I'm glad all the castaways have found each other. I'm worried there will be a big problem with Rolf and Carlos, and the fighting will be bad for everyone. Will Athens say yes to Rolf's proprosal? If she does, will she actually marry him? I can't wait to find out.

Gina is very practical and logical, almost the opposite of Regina. It will be interesting to see where their choices lead them.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#61 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 1:21 AM
Athens married Rolf in the only way they knew to marry on a deserted island -- by a simple verbal agreement to be husband and wife.

Meanwhile, Matilda Merrymaker was still ill. Initially, she thought the queasiness might have been the too-ripe papaya. Now, she feared she might be pregnant. For days she'd wanted to say something to Rodney, but could never find a private moment. Family camp was hectic and it did not help that Rodney and Ivan were often away on their failed hunting trips. Day after day, they'd leave early and return late -- most of the time without anything to show for it. Matilda began to wonder if hunting was their excuse to get away from the camp full of women and children.

The next morning, Rodney had already left before Matilda awoke. He and Ivan and the rest of the men had been summoned to Benefactor Beach to see Barnaby's newest ocean acquisition. Barnaby was always finding something but whatever he found this time, he thought it was important enough to call all the men to his beach to see it.

"I bet it was that poker table from the lounge," Matilda told Ima later that day.

When all the men were gathered, Barnaby opened the wicker basket he'd found floating in the ocean and pulled out the diver's helmet. Then he stepped into the suit and modeled it for the men to see.

"I bet there is plenty of good stuff on the bottom of the ocean between this shore and our boat. All we need is a team of divers to bring it up," Barnaby said. "Who's with me?"

"The suit is from my boat but I have no idea how to use it, or if even works. It was in the hull when I bought the boat. So, if you think I'm going to be your diver, then you'd better think again."

"I took a diving class in the county swimming pool the week before we were shipwrecked. I'll do the diving, " Barnaby said. "But I need others to help pull the stuff on shore after I find it and tie a rope to it."

"One class? In a swimming pool? That's no training."

In the end, Barnaby got his way.

On his first trip into the ocean, Barnaby returned with a rusted cast iron cooking pan and an aluminum coffee pot. "I saw a stove down but it looks pretty banged up."

"I need a stove," Otis said. "Tie a rope to it and we'll pull it up."

An hour later, Otis was the proud owner of a dented stove. Sixty-five minutes later, Otis was lounging in Barnaby's hammock, where he spent the rest of the day reading a book that Carlos found floating in the water.

The rest of the men worked until it was too dark to see anything. They recovered an old chest of drawers, more tents, kitchen items, barrels of oil, cans of gasoline and an antique sewing machine.

(Note: There was a photo snafu, so I have no pictures to go with the rest of this section of story.)

"The sewing machine belonged to my mother," Otis yelled from the hammock. "I'll take that home to Winston."

"As I recall, when you came on board all you had were your kids and a bag of potato chips," the Captain yelled back.

"I didn't say I brought it. I just said it belonged to my mother. One of my sisters must have brought it but neither of them know how to sew. Winston will learn how to use it. I'll see to it that she does."

The Captain shook his head. "There is no yours and mine on this island. What we recover today belongs to each of us. We share in order to survive. Understand?"

"A sewing machine that may or may not work isn't going to be good to people who don't know how to use it, or may not even try to learn."

Arguing with Otis was arguing with a fence post.

"I'd like you all to take some books home with you. Do you best to dry them out, read what you want over the winter, and come spring, we'll build a hut where we can store them together for everyone to share. A library, of sorts," the Captain said.

"Speaking of winter," David said. "Gina, the kids and I have built ourselves a shelter. But Otis hasn't done anything on his property. I don't care if he freezes to death, but I'm worried about his kids."

"I agree on all counts," the Captain said. "Tomorrow, we'll meet at the Dagmars. We'll spend one day--no more--building a hut for the kids. One room for each."

"I can't make it," Rodney said. "I shouldn't have come today. Matilda is feeling worse. I need to be with her."

Matilda leaned into him and whispered, "I think I'm pregnant."

"I've thought that for awhile now," Rodney said.

"It's not the same. I feel really sick this time," Matilda said. "I'm scare, Rodney. I don't want to give birth to our baby in a lean-to."

"I know," Rodney said. "And I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You know how Ivan and I've been going off hunting every day, but coming back mostly empty-handed? Well, we've not been hunting. It was supposed to be a surprise. Ivan and Stanlee have been helping me build a cabin at the base of the mountain. It's small. It'll be cramped, but it's ours. We're moving to the cabin and the Killjoys will be staying here in the hut."

The Dagmar's got their hut -- which ended up twice the size the Captain had planned. They built one large room, which was supposed to be divided into two bedrooms for the children. But Otis said that he and Travis would share that room, and that he'd need another one built for his daughter. So, the men started building a second room. Again, Otis dictated how he wanted it be.

"There needs to be a room between ours and hers. I don't want her waking us when she gets up to fix us breakfast."

And so, the Dagmar's ended up with a three-room hut, the smallest room for Winston.

Rolf had planned to build a home for himself and Athens, but before he had a chance to ask if she'd prefer a hut or a cabin, he caught Carlos flirting with her. Rolf was so angry that he broke up with Athens. As with their divorce, there was nothing legally binding, just two people agreeing their marriage was over. Athens left and Rolf sulked in the tent where they had shared many good woohoos.

Shipwreck Island
Forum Resident
#62 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 4:12 AM
Um... Isn't Athens in the family way? Things will get really interesting when she figures that out.

And honestly, someone needs to take Otis's kids. He plans to work one kid like Cinderella and he sort of ignores the other one!

But, a great update to hear on the group. Thankfully most of them won't freeze to death come winter.

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#63 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 5:56 AM
By the time Rodney moved his family into the small cabin, he wondered if it was too little, too late. Matilda had taken a turn for the worse. Yes, she was pregnant but on top of that she'd contracted a plague, one that was extremely contagious. Rodney became ill, as did his son, Zach, and both daughters.

Now, more than ever, he wished he'd started the cabin sooner. There had not been enough time nor lumber to complete the cabin he'd imagined. By the time Matilda became so ill that he was forced to move his family indoors, he'd barely finished two rooms. One was a large living area that served as the dining room and kitchen. Theirs was the only indoor kitchen on the island. The other room, which was originally intended as the master bedroom, was too small for the entire family. So, Rodney and Zach had added another wall in the living area, turning a small portion of it into a food storage room. In there, they set up Zach's bed.

There was no floor in the cabin, just bare ground covered with layers of dried grass. But there was a fireplace where the family could cook and warm themselves. And for that, Rodney was thankful.

Carlos had also been fighting the illness when Athens showed up at the Lopez's hut asking if she could move in.

Catalina was furious. She told Athens that her timing was bad, that Carlos was sick and the last thing she needed was some spoiled brat demanding to be waited on. Athens started to sob. She begged Catalina to reconsider. I have no place else to go. I promise that I won't treat you like hired help. In fact, I'll be your hired help.

Catalina knew Athens had no skills to speak of and would be of no help around the hut. But Catalina, whose heart was bigger than her pride gave in. She told Athens that neither she nor her brother would be giving up their rooms. Athens would have to sleep on a bed in the eating area. To Catalina's surprise, Athens agreed without argument.

Stanlee and Regina both became ill, too. Without children or other pressing responsibilities, Stanlee and Regina were able to spend the day sitting or lying down.

It was about this time that Captain Grumby issued a quarantine order in an effort to stop the plague from spreading. Otis had told his children that if were to get sick, he'd not follow the Captain's orders. So, when he first started to show symptoms, Travis and Winston tricked their father into going in Winston's room, then they shut the door behind him and barricaded it closed with barrels they'd filled with sand. Otis was not happy about it.

The Captain and Ivan made lanterns for each of the households with instructions to put the lantern on the front lawn if anyone in the home was ill. In addition, the ill members were to be separated from the rest of the household.

By the time Ivan dropped off a lantern at the Leigassy residence, Regina was feeling better. She even had enough energy for a quick woohoo -- with Ivan!

In a matter of days, more than half of the island's population fell ill. Not all of them were able to regain their energy as easily as Regina Dagmar.

Matilda Merrymaker had no energy at all. Twice, she'd passed out on her way to the toilet. The second time her mother fainted, Anna, sick herself, broke the quarantine. She sneaked out of the house and ran to the Eatons for begging Gina Matthews to help her mother. Gina whipped up a pot of her Grandma's Comfort Soup and gave it to Anna.
"Make sure your mom is hungry enough to eat the entire bowl at one sitting," Gina had said.

Anna did as she was told. Almost immediately, everyone in the Merrymaker household felt their sickness slipping away. Everyone except Matilda. She did not have enough energy stay awake and eat her soup. Anna sent her mother to bed and put the last serving of soup in the cooler. Anna would try to get her mother to eat after she'd had some rest.

Matilda wasn't the only one fighting for her life. Carlos' became so ill that he started having nightmares about dying. All Catalina could do was wring her hands with worry.

Shipwreck Island
Top Secret Researcher
#64 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 6:46 PM
@SIMelissa I just caught up with reading your latest posts. Love how everything is going.

I am always pleased to see another update of your Castaways and their life.

I really can't stand Otis. I always think of his poor children.

I hope that a lot of sims don't die of the sickness going around.

I love the PS2 version of Castaways, never did get into the PC version as yet.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Field Researcher
#65 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 9:33 PM
Oh my, a lot happened! Great update.

I'm worried about Otis' kids, too. Might be a good idea to just leave him locked in that room.

I hope (almost) everyone pulls through. Poor Carlos, even having nightmares about death. I'm worried about Matilda, too, and her unborn baby.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#66 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 10:14 PM
Just as an FYI, I'd just installed "Real Sickness" from MATY ... and boy, oh, boy, did my Sims get sick! It was a stressful time for their overseer, too. LOL

Lordtyger9, I've not played either of the Castaways games. I've read that they have spear fishing in the ocean, monkeys and other fun stuff. But I am thankful for the clothing and objects that people were able to convert from Castaways to TS2. They've made this game loads of fun. In fact, this is the most fun I've had since I started playing Sims.

Shipwreck Island
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Just as an FYI, I'd just installed "Real Sickness" from MATY ... and boy, oh, boy, did my Sims get sick! It was a stressful time for their overseer, too. LOL

Lordtyger9, I've not played either of the Castaways games. I've read that they have spear fishing in the ocean, monkeys and other fun stuff. But I am thankful for the clothing and objects that people were able to convert from Castaways to TS2. They've made this game loads of fun. In fact, this is the most fun I've had since I started playing Sims.

MATY has a lot of great stuff. I like several of the mods found there and other people like a lot of the others as well. Most of it even has documentation. RTFM...hope that you know what that means. :LOL:

heh me I have this healing well that I place on most lots if the Sims in question have enough money.

Having fun is what the Sims is supposed to be, people have vastly different styles in what they do and how they play, but I am sure that most people are having a great time. I know that I really enjoy playing with my Sims and then I get to blog about them here too.

Forum Resident
#68 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 10:38 AM
I loved playing castaway on my wii! I always lend it at the library!

I build small houses *^*
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#69 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 9:14 AM

Athens slept on a bed in the central room of the hut that served as the indoor eating area. To Catalina's surprise, Athens did not complain or make demands. She even helped with the household chores. When Athens wasn't doing chores or quietly reading on her bed, she walked around the lot, looking for something to do.

Catalina's surprise reached new levels when she overheard Athens saying a prayer for Carlos. In all the years Catalina's mother worked for the Moneymakers, Catalina had never seen Athens pray or show concern for anyone but herself.

Catalina looked out the window at the flickering lantern. It was cold outside, but still no snow. Their first winter on the island would be mild as far as temperatures go, but it was not going to be an easy winter. For the first time since being shipwrecked on the island, Catalina realized how dangerous life could be without a hospital, a doctor or life-saving medical supplies.

Catalina wasn't the only person looking at a lantern light. When Gina Matthews stepped outside the Eaton household's hut, she was at first confused by the many lights she saw. Then, she realized it was the glow of lanterns, the lanterns meant to warn healthy Sims to stay away or risk contracting the highly contagious plague.

"I can't just stand here and do nothing while so many of our friends are sick," Gina said to David.

"You heard the Captain. The sickness is something that has to run its course. Once it stops spreading, it will die out."

"What if our friends die first?" Without waiting for an answer, Gina rushed to the food cellar and grabbed an armload of vegetables.
Gina cooked a pot of Grandma's Comfort Soup, a recipe passed down through many generations. Nobody knew for sure which grandma perfected the recipe, or if it was even a grandma from her family linage. All they knew was its name, and that it worked miracles when someone was ill. Gina delivered the serving bowl of soup to the Dagmar house, her closest neighbors, then she made another batch and took it to Rolf Nestor, who'd greeted her with a wave.

The sun was up by the time Gina got to the Lopez homestead. At first, Carlos did not feel he had enough energy to eat. But after the first few spoonfuls of soup, he began to feel better. By the time he finished the bowl of Grandma's Comfort Soup, he felt well enough to sit outside and read.

Athens and Catalina took turns giving Gina a hug. For the first time in days, they had hopes that Carlos might survive.

Gina continued to cook and deliver until every plague-inflicted family had a bowl of the healing soup.

Though exhausted, Gina planned to fix her new family breakfast before she went to bed. But when she walked into the cellar, all that was in there were a few leftovers from previous meals. Gina started to cry.

David and Jasper ran out of the hut to see what was wrong.

Gina wiped her tears. "I used all our food supplies on the soup. I was so focused on cooking that I didn't notice until just now. How will we get by the rest of the winter?"

"There's always food on this island," Jasper said. "We can pick up bananas and coconuts or go to the lake and catch fish."

Gina shook her head. "It's winter. The pond is frozen. And there is no fruit in the trees. We do have a few leftovers, but it will be difficult to make them last the winter."

David's jaw tightened. Gina could tell he was angry but, as usual, he hid it well. He turned to scrub the soiled grill. "We'll figure out something," he said.

Gina hoped he was right. The few leftovers they had would not last long.

Shipwreck Island
Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 10:48 AM
@SIMelissa

OH My now they have to worry about having enough food.

Good news is that you survied being sick, bad news is now you may not have enough food.

Good Update!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#71 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 11:41 AM
This is really interesting and wow you're game installing that sickness mod. One way to get around eating at least with couples is dating, you can raise motives with it or meditation if anyone can do that yet.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#72 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 6:12 PM
Poor Gina. They'll definitely have a food issue, but she did the right thing! Likely their neighbors will remember what she did and help them when the food runs out.

And how is the Real Sickness mod working for you? Is it sort of overpowering or just right for the season and situation?

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#73 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AliaD85
And how is the Real Sickness mod working for you? Is it sort of overpowering or just right for the season and situation?

I had a great time with the real sickness mod! It hit almost everyone the first winter and was quite a challenge to keep up with. The sickness was extremely contagious and took days to get under control. A couple of my Sims were ill for at least four rotations. I just couldn't seem to get them to sit long enough to recuperate. Silly Sims! I had one Sim, little Gretchen, who caught it twice. Without Grandma's Comfort Soup, at least two of my Sims would have die -- maybe more.

My game play is a full Sim year ahead of my posting. I'll catch up, soon. Nothing all that exciting going on these days. In the year that followed the plague, there was no more outbreaks of the plague. Not in the following Spring, Summer, Fall or even the Winter. I'm in the middle of another Spring (1 year & 1 season post plague) and a couple of my Sims just got ill again. This time, as soon as I noticed them being sick I isolated them away from other family members. It does seem to stop the sickness from spreading.

I'm not sure what triggered the recent illness after five seasons of no sickness. I tell myself it was the introduction of new Sims who brought disease with them. But it perhaps it was the addition of Cyjon's faster and frequent disease processing mods that I added around the same time. One of those mods was supposed to make the overall illness shorter, so they don't stay ill day after day after day -- like Carlos & Matilda. I had postponed Matilda's pregnancy, thinking it would help her recovery. But I learned that postponing only extends the pregnancy -- the Sims pregnant needs for additional food and rest continue.

For anyone wishing to add a little spice to their game, I'd recommend Real Sickness.

Shipwreck Island
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#74 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 4:55 AM
Gina Matthews' grandmother's soup worked wonders on Matilda. After eating a big steaming bowl of the soup, Matilda felt well enough to go outdoors.

"I think you should stay inside," Rodney said to his wife. "We got a bit of snow last night and it's really cold."

"I want to go and sit in the sunshine for a bit. I haven't seen the sky in days. I promise not to do any work. I'll just sit and enjoy the view."

Never one to deny his wife anything, if he could help it, Rodney gave in. They'd barely made it out the front door when Matilda doubled over in pain.

"I knew it. I should not have let you talk me into this. We've got to get you back inside."

"It's too late," Matilda said. "It's time."

As Rodney watched in horror, Matilda gave birth to their fourth child. "Another girl," Matilda said.

They named their newborn daughter Ona, and put her in the crib in the cabin's main room that served as kitchen and eating area. Then we went to their bed to cuddle. Nothing more since they shared the room with their two oldest daughters.

"Come spring, I'm going to finish this cabin. I'll add on another bedroom and put down some real floors," Rodney said.

"What I really want is a shower like we had at the family camp. I am tired of sponge baths," Matilda said.

On the Lopez lot, Carlos was feeling well enough to leave the hut.

"I want to go for a walk," he said. "Let's all go over to Shipwreck Lake and fetch some fresh water."

"You two go ahead and go," Athens said. "I'm still not feeling well."

"You had a bowl of soup for breakfast," Catalina said. "You should be feeling at least a little better."

"Maybe a little," Athens said. "But not well enough to leave the hut."

"I think she's faking it," Catalina said to Carlos as they walked. "Either that, or she's a hypochondriac and believes she's sick."

"No. I think she's sick. I can see it in her eyes. She's not faking it," Carlos said.

"She ate the soup and she's not feeling better. You nearly died and a single bowl of the soup had you back on your feet in no time. It doesn't make sense," Catalina said.

"She can have another bowl of soup tonight. And I'm going to switch beds with her. She needs to rest."

Catalina shrugged. "It's your bed, your decision, but I still think it's an act."

While Catalina and Carlos were at the Lake, Rolf stopped by the Lopez' lot to see Athens.

"I forgive you for flirting with Carlos. I don't want a divorce. I want you to come home." Rolf reached out to hug Athens.

Athens recoiled. "I did not flirt with Carlos. He flirted with me. I told you that and still you kicked me out."

"I was mad. I was impulsive," he said.

"Now, I'm mad. And this is me being impulsive." Athens slapped Rolf. "Leave. Go now. I don't want to ever see your face again."

That night, Carlos warmed up a bowl of Grandma's Comfort Soup and watched to make sure Athens ate every spoonful.

The soup warmed Athens from the inside. "I think it's working. I feel better tonight," Athens said.

"You can sleep in my room." Carlos picked up the empty bowl. "I'll sleep in her, in your bed."

"You don't mind?"

"No. I want you to get better. You had the soup, now all you need is some rest.

Athens fell asleep moments after laying down. The covers on Carlos' bed kept her warm and comfy through the night. But when she woke up the nausea was just as bad as the previous morning.

"Maybe it's not the plague, after all. Maybe what's ailing me is something completely different."

Athens was quiet all day. So quiet that now Catalina was worried. When Athens went into Carlos' room to put on her pajamas, Catalina waved to Carlos to come outside.

"We need to do something, Carlos," Catalina whispered. "What if she has something that Grandma's Comfort Soup won't cure?"

Carlos' brows furrowed. "I've been thinking the same thing."

"What if it's contagious? It's one thing if we get sick, but we can't risk it spreading to everyone else. I think we need to tell her that she has to stay in your room until she is better," Catalina said.

Carlos nodded. "I'll tell her."

"Don't wait until tomorrow. Tell her now."

Carlos and Catalina walked back into the hut and found Athens sitting at the table.

"We need to talk," Carlos said.

"I'm not sick, I'm pregnant," Athens blurted.

"Pregnant?" Catalina looked accusingly at her brother. "Who's baby is it?"

Carlos, knowing full well that the baby was not his since they'd never woohooed, hurried to Athens defense. "It doesn't matter whose baby it is. All that matters is that Athens is not sick."

Catalina rolled her eyes. "Time for me to go to bed. I suggest you two do the same, but preferably in separate beds."

Shipwreck Island
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#75 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 7:16 AM
Oooh, the plot thickens!

I wonder if Rolf and Athens will reunite over this baby?

Poor Matilda, having Rodney watch her give birth 'in horror'! So much for supportive spouses.

Lovely update, @SIMelissa ! :lovestruc

Page 3 of 4