Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 12:14 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Can .DBC files be put in the mods/packages folder?
Apologizes if I've over looked the answer to this already!

So I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle, or younger me rather. I've got 60 (12.3gb) .DBC files cloggin up my DCCache folder and it takes the launcher and game a while to start up. Over the last year and a half or so I've been converting sim3packs to packages, but my dump self before that just used the launcher for everything, now I just use it for patterns, worlds, counters, ect. Most of this stuff is things I've installed in my old computer dating back from around 4-5 years ago. When I got this new laptop I just moved certain folders from my sims 3 folder on the old PC to this new one, ones like my saves and cc and installed world and all that other good stuffs, and continued mostly where I left off. I didn't bother to keep the old PC or any other sims related stuff on it so all the sims3packs for all that CC is lost, so I can't exactly start over and redo everything in my new way of converting stuffs to packages, I'm just kinda stuck with it as .DBC files.

SO, relevance to the thread title! CAN I move these DBC files to my mods fold or my packages folder somehow and the game still read everything fine?
I remember reading something about people doing this somehow before, but I'm not 100% sure and would like some instruction on how to do it if it is possible so I can clean out my DCCache some and the launcher/game won't take like 30 eons to load up when I need it to. (I've already seen how fast it loads by removing most the files while trying to hunt down bad cc yesterday. It's quite the difference)

Thank you all in advance!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 3:53 PM
Hello demonic corndog - The .dbc files (3rd party custom content) and the .ebc files (store content) need to be in the The Sims 3 game folder not in your mods packages. To the best of my knowledge they won't be read by the game and/or very well could slow loading down trying to read the files.
If you are NOT on Patch 1.69 have you tried loading the game without the Launcher? We have a Gameplay Tips page at NRaas that offers basic suggestions for clean up. I'll look for the link to that for you. In the meantime, perhaps other's in here will be able to offer up a suggestion to minimize your issue.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Hello demonic corndog - The .dbc files (3rd party custom content) and the .ebc files (store content) need to be in the The Sims 3 game folder not in your mods packages. To the best of my knowledge they won't be read by the game and/or very well could slow loading down trying to read the files.
If you are NOT on Patch 1.69 have you tried loading the game without the Launcher? We have a Gameplay Tips page at NRaas that offers basic suggestions for clean up. I'll look for the link to that for you. In the meantime, perhaps other's in here will be able to offer up a suggestion to minimize your issue.

Oh don't worry, the .dbc and .ebc files are sill right in DCCache, I was wondering if they COULD be put in the mods folder somewhere/somehow and still be read by the game as a way to wrangle the absurd amount of dbc files I have and to speed up the launcher starting.
I usually do bypass the launcher to play the game itself, but I still need to use the launcher for installing certain CC. I've already went through all installed CC and cleaned out what I didn't want anymore or was causing me troubles.
I'm hoping maybe somebody with more experience has some kind of answer to what I'm looking for.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 8:22 PM
Let's see what others have experienced. To the best of my knowledge those files will not load if they are moved to the packages folder.
If your main concern is game performance take a look at the Tips For Better Game Performance. That document offers many tips to clean up your game and keep it healthy.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Let's see what others have experienced. To the best of my knowledge those files will not load if they are moved to the packages folder.
If your main concern is game performance take a look at the Tips For Better Game Performance. That document offers many tips to clean up your game and keep it healthy.

From what I remember, I think it had something to do with people doing something to their resource.cfg to get it to work? I'm not entirely sure tho, it's just kinda a vague memory from past attempts at finding a fix for my mess.
The game runs fine and dandy once loaded, it's just the launcher being slow to start for installing worlds and stuffs. I'm guessing it's from where it generates and does what ever it do with all those .tmp files it vomits out every time starts up. I already do most of those things listed there, NRAAS has been a good info source to me in the past.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by demonic corndog
From what I remember, I think it had something to do with people doing something to their resource.cfg to get it to work? I'm not entirely sure tho, it's just kinda a vague memory from past attempts at finding a fix for my mess.
The game runs fine and dandy once loaded, it's just the launcher being slow to start for installing worlds and stuffs. I'm guessing it's from where it generates and does what ever it do with all those .tmp files it vomits out every time starts up. I already do most of those things listed there, NRAAS has been a good info source to me in the past.

My Launcher is completely broken and useless. Now for installs I convert to package files using Delphy's Sims 3Pack Multi Installer . You might want to consider this for Worlds: I use the Sims 3Pack Multi Package Installer to extract the file, reame the file, and change the extension to .world. Once you have that you can put the .world file in the actual game install in Program Files (x86)> Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>GameData>Shared>NonPackaged>Worlds. Actually, you can put the .world file in any EP folder in there as long as there is a Worlds folder available. There are a couple of EP Folders that do not have a world associated so no Wolds folder is available. Seasons is one of them. Just choose a different EP.

I actually prefer this method for the worlds as they are much easier to remove than via the Launcher. It also comes in handy for being able to check out a world to see if it is what you want or if there are lots you would like to add to the bin.
Test Subject
#7 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 9:44 AM
Once I used S3PE to import my old DcCache as dbc (of course before that I removed counters, worlds and patterns) to obtain a .package and I placed it in mods/package folder and it worked for me.