Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 7:49 PM
Default Feedback on my progress of my first CAW world. Looking for name, aesthetic, and functional suggestions :)
Hello! The uploader wasn't working so here is an imgur album link: http://imgur.com/a/Ofbzx

This area will be part of my "downtown". It is mostly residential and has more family friendly community lots. The actual downtown will be to the right (in the first picture) and will have more rabbitholes & adult lots. Still a long way to go, but I wanted to share this section as it's nearly complete. I'm looking for 3 things from my fellow simmers:

-Suggestions for a name for the world (The climate/geogrpahy I'm going for is Canadian Sheild area)
-Aesthetic/function suggestions/feedback (ie, too many tress, terrain painting [note im painting & decorating as i go])
-Community lot ideas (what do you like to see? lots of bars, churches etc)

Also if you're interested in seeing any interiors, or would like me to upload any individual lots, I would be happy to!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 8:29 PM
I love it so far! I'd like to see more of the terrain- what shape is it, are you using a DT, can we see more of those mountains we get a glimpse of?

A overall view of the world would be good, and some distance shots. I can get a good idea of what it feels like to walk down the street in your world, but also important are the areas that aren't built up.

I like your buildings very much- a bar would be good too, and perhaps a club. This might give you ideas too:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=390936

Are you planning to make your own custom lighting/weather? For names, I like 'Laurentia'.
Tartan McBadgerface
#3 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 4:50 PM
It looks very well thought out and your house builds are great, you've really paid a lot of attention to the small details which I love. As Simsample says it would be interesting to see the entire world, but I appreciate that you may not have started landscaping and developing wider areas yet.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 9:27 AM
It looks like a sleepy, old town though... I suggest call it Sleepy Smith
Test Subject
#5 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 7:26 PM Last edited by rotata : 19th Feb 2017 at 7:38 PM. Reason: adding a thought
Default Old Texas Towns
As a custom world addict,I love your world! It reminds me of a lot of many small towns here in Texas - where the old downtown has been renovated. A lot of them have cobble brick streets, which prove a bit slippery in bad weather. Look at pictures of Kaufman, Canton, and Corsicana for examples. Oh, Fredericksburg is an excellent example - lots of antique stores, fine art studios, curiosity shops, pizza parlors and sweet shops, and, of course, outstanding German restaurants.

Oh, almost forgot - the County Seat in often a square brick building with a lot of charm. City halls tend to be bland, very very bland.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 11:12 PM
Wonderful small-town vibe! Love it so far!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 3:06 PM
Looking good!

Only thing I would suggest is to keep working on the terrain paints

Try desaturating the grass a bit so it's less yellow-green, and adding a darker grass color under the trees, and around sidewalks to prevent things from feeling too flat. Add some light dirt to the riverbanks and a darker shade underwater so you don't have grass growing underwater. It might work well if you have some reference images- you can pull a reference image into Photoshop and use it to color-match your terrain paints. Likewise, I would switch out the default roads (the road is very flat and the sidewalks very pink ).

There are some good resources for both roads and textures in here if you want to take a look: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=625

Also I heard that it's best to limit the type of trees in the world to around 3-4 types to ensure larger groupings and fewer single trees (to avoid lag)- also add rocks, and additional clumbs of shrubs and grasses to create some interest when you're down close to the ground!

One final thing I would suggest is loading a Weather adjustment package into CAW (drop it into the CAW install location package file)- the default lighting is rather flat and custom weather files can greatly improve the sky, water and sun!

Hope this helps!