Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 10:33 PM Last edited by buildersim21 : 22nd Oct 2015 at 4:36 PM. Reason: Attach my full instructions as a file
Rabbit Hole Rug Tutorial
I had been looking for a rabbit hole rug or object tutorial and couldn't find any other than the one posted on customsims3.com. I worked through that one and found an easier way to do it and probably get similar results.

As I worked through the programs, S3PE and s3oc, I created my own helper for the RSLT Editor by Delphy (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=372169 ) for integration into s3pe. I typed up and saved my steps. I made use of TSR Workshop at first but found it more useful in understanding the various parts and settings of objects than for making the rabbit hole rug.

I figured for most, S3PE and S3OC would be quite useful enough. What I think I'd like to do is share these instructions for others who would like to make a basic rabbit hole rug for themselves using more updated tools than Jynx had when doing the original tutorial. Thanks to Delphy, hex editing and converting for the RSLT resource are no longer necessary.

The basic steps I took in the end are:

1. Setup S3OC to recognize all sims 3 expansions and stuff packs (and custom content if so desired). * I think a program restart is required for the program to load all the folders selected.
2. Obtain and place a copy of RSLT Editor, with the wrapper and helpers files into the main S3PE folder.
3. Create the RSLTEditor.helper file needed for S3PE to recognize the RSLT Editor and place it in the S3PE Helpers folder inside the main folder.

The helper code I used is as follows:

// Run helper to edit RSLT directly from s3pe.
ResourceType: 0xD3044521
Desc: Edit RSLT resource with Delphy's RSLT Editor
Label: Edit RSLT
Command: C:\Program Files\s3pe\RSLTEditor.exe
Arguments: "{}"
IgnoreWriteTimestamp: Yes

4. Clone the original rabbit hole building object and 2x2 rug desired using s3oc.
5. When cloning the rug, change the Flags settings, price, and Catalog name and description before cloning to avoid needing to reopen S3OC at the end. At the same time, keep the Renumber/Rename Internally option to enabled. (In my own tutorial file I don't explain the why but the why to renumber now is to avoid needing to reopen S3OC to do it at the end because if the resources are not renumbered, then the game will lose all virtually all text strings that are usually displayed for all game buttons and labels.)
6. The RSLT and FTPT resources to be imported to the rug will both have the same Instance Id and can be copied directly from one window of S3PE to the other. So this means copy the RSLT and FTPT from the rabbit hole package to the rug package.
7. Now rename the RSLT and FTPT and generate a new Instance Id for them in the rug package.
8. Open the OBJK resource of both the rabbit hole and rug packages, and change the settings completely for the rug OBJK to those of the rabbit hole OBJK.
9. Now, can close the rabbit hole package.
10. Edit the VPXY resource of the rug package to recognize the newly imported RSLT and FTPT resources. S3PE has a VPXY editor already so this is easier than it seems.
11. Edit the FTPT resource in "Grid" view. The settings to be changed are the SlotAreas. This is easiest by clicking on the "..." on the right of the SlotAreas line.
12. For all “Area” entries, type “DC” and press Enter key for “AreaTypeFlags”, and type “3” and press Enter key for “SurfaceTypeFlags” and “SurfaceAttributeFlags”. In the “ClosedPolygon”, “Lower”, and “Upper” sections of each “Area” modify the values of X and Z to contain the following:

Area 0 1 2 3
X 1 1 -1 -1
Z 2.5 -0.5 -0.5 2.5

For the “ClosedPolygon” sections, modify all the sections under the main heading.
13. Edit the RSLT resource in S3PE by right-clicking on the resource and clicking "Edit RSLT" (assuming this is what is supposed to display from the helper code). For each "Slot Hash" change the original X and Z values to the new ones.
14. Definitely save the package now to have all changes truly saved.
15. Save the package to a new more descriptive filename, since it is now more than a rug.
16. Place a copy of the file in the Mods\Packages folder and test in-game.

The rabbit hole I did using my detailed instructions kind of looked weird when the sim approached it but the sim entered and did the visit and exited fine. It's just the orientation of the rug arrows didn't match where the sim entered the rabbit hole. It may have something to do with me orienting arrows to the side instead of toward the front of the lot.

If anyone would like to see the full instructions to test for themselves, let me know.

I basically go over creating the school rabbit hole rug as the original tutorial discusses but I include all applicable steps including those program specific in the document I did. I haven't tested it's applicability to other rabbit holes and rug sizes or to adapt for doors yet. But I think this makes it easier to figure out. I think to fully understand rabbit hole rugs, a combination of the original tutorial and mine would be a nice combination.

EDIT: I decided to finally add my full instructions as a .pdf file within a .zip file. Hopefully, it will be more useful. Thanks to Jynx for the original. This was done before I had anything past the Pets EP though it should still prove useful for other EPs. If someone else finds a better way, they are welcome to.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  buildersim21_RabbitHoleRugTut_Full_JynxRemaster.zip (113.7 KB, 107 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Full Rabbit Hole Rug Tutorial Updating Jynx's Tutorial
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 8:36 PM
Link to the 'small editors' download page, which includes the rslt editor.
Referenced, but not linked, in the 3rd para. of the tutorial. Just in case
anyone reading this hasn't gotten it yet.
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=372169
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 3:59 PM
I apologize if this is necroposting, but I have recently been trying to make my own rabbithole rug for the ITF observatory, following this tutorial, and cannot place my created rug in game. I can see it in the community lots / rabbithole category, with thumbnails, but when I click on it and go to place it, it doesn't appear, and the dragging hand doesn't appear either. I'm not sure what I did wrong here. Does anyone know what resource this might be a problem with? The OBJK, FTPT, or RSLT?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 4:40 PM
Default Retry It Now...
Quote: Originally posted by Spoonsthings
I apologize if this is necroposting, but I have recently been trying to make my own rabbithole rug for the ITF observatory, following this tutorial, and cannot place my created rug in game. I can see it in the community lots / rabbithole category, with thumbnails, but when I click on it and go to place it, it doesn't appear, and the dragging hand doesn't appear either. I'm not sure what I did wrong here. Does anyone know what resource this might be a problem with? The OBJK, FTPT, or RSLT?

Retry the process with the full instructions I have just added to my original post, substituting for the ITF observatory resources. I didn't know if anyone would really need them but I decided to finally share my personal reference document. So hopefully, it helps you create the rug so it can be useable.
Instructor
#5 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 11:03 PM
Thank you for this tutorial! I just made a rug for the Vault of Antiquity from Supernatural and had a sim take an alchemy class there successfully. A couple of steps tripped me up--it took me a while to figure out that "DC" in AreaTypeFlags was meant to be part of a hex code, not a standalone string (the editor kept saying it was an invalid value...); and I didn't memorize the original XZ values while editing the FTPT, so it took me some time to realize that only the last column of the slot hash matrix needed to be edited. Overall, however, the steps were well laid out and clear, making the tutorial straight-forward to follow. Thanks again for sharing this!

BTW, would you mind if I upload the rug here (with credit to you, of course)? I haven't decided whether I will yet, but want to run it by you just in case.
Test Subject
#6 Old 7th Dec 2015 at 2:07 PM
Hi, finally got this to work with university. My only issue is that the area is too big for my sim. When they enter the rabbit hole they are too far away and i cannot place it in a room. I don't get the custom polygon count. Help....