Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 4:43 AM
Default Making a Frankenstein...
Hi!
I'm trying make a dress a la Frankesntein, using a top and a skirt.
Well, I followed the Cocomama's tuto but I think I'm a bit lost...

Some questions:

- May I have to copy the commentaries from GEOM00 and GEOM01 into the comment of the new mesh? or only from GEOM00?
- May I have to do that for all of the 3 LODs?

I read the Base1980 tuto (Creating a custom bodymeshpackage), but I couldn't undertand how to export the new textures to CTU, so, I made an attempt to build a texture and replace it on a CTU body part, like I do when I make a rexture.
Here is the result.

There is a black thing at the top of the Top which I'll fix later.

Any help will be wellcome.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 5:27 AM
You need to start with cloning a fullbodyoutfit with CTU, extract the meshes and use those comments in Milkshape.
and yes, do it for all 3 lods.

You need to update the base texture, it looks like you forgot to also edit the alpha within the texturefile.
Then update the specular and the mask.
Extractin the original texture can be done by clicking the texture link, choose find at the bottom.
At the popup you choose export.

Since you are combining already existing stuff(tops and bottoms) i do recommend using the latest version of TSRW as regrouping the morphs into fullbodymorphs gives you errors on Wes his exporter.(in Milkshape)
TSRW will also fix the vertexID numbering and automaticly generate new slider files(Bgeo's)
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 12:48 PM
Thank you Base!
Let me see if I understood what you said:
I have to work with TSRW, extracting the meshes of a fullbodyoutfit, and copy those comments to my 3 LODs top/skirt, then I extract the textures, mask, etc., from those fullbodyoutfit to use them like a base.

I'll make this.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 3:55 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 23rd Jun 2010 at 4:17 PM.
nono..
You start a new project with TSRW(http://www.thesimsresource.com/prog...%20Beta/id/112/ you need TSRW_RC4_v3.exe) and choose your top.
When you see the top(3d view) you go to the meshes tab and extract/export the meshes(for the high/medium and low detail)
Also go to the texture tab and export the multiplier/specular and mask texture.
Cancel the project.
Start a new project and do exactly the same for the bottom you like.(extract meshes and textures)
Cancel the project.

Milkshape,
Install your WSO plugin:
Go here on how to do so: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...bject_.28WSO.29

Open Milkshape and import both the top and bottom with the TSR WSO importer
When you are in Milkshape you will see 8 meshes, hide them all and start with the base group, unhide it.
Select the top and bottom then regroup them into one.
Do the same for the fat group then regroup them
Also the fit, thin and special till you end up with 4 fullbodymeshes.
Make sure you named them as the originals, fix the seam and check the boneassignements on the seam.
Export the new meshes with the WSO exporter.
Do the same with the medium and low detail meshes

TSRW,
Start a new project, a fullbodyoutfit
Note, you need a fullbodymesh with just one group for each(choose the afBodyAirForceEnlisted)
At the meshes tab you import your new custom fullbodymesh, do this for the high, medium and low detail meshes.
The TSRW importer will ask to correct the bounding box(the hands position) click yes.
It will also build new files for the sliders.
You now should see your mesh, use the fat/fit thin slider to check if you have done everything right.

Gimp,
Open Gimp and open the top multiplier texture, copy the rgb layer(all layers except the alpha)
Open the bottom texture and select all rgb layers(not the alpha) and past your top texture.
Go back to the top texture file and repeat the same steps for the alpha file, you copy the alpha and past it on the alpha layer of the bottom alpha.
Save your file as DXT5 with interpolated alpha
Delete the alpha layer on your texture file, and reduce contrast and lightning with 20%
Save it as the specular texture as a DXT1 without alpha.
Close all texture files within Gimp and reopen the new multiplier texture and delete the alpha layer.
Make the red layer completly white and on the green and blue layer you decide wat partas you want to give a diffrent design by making the parts white.
When done you select the white, inverse select and make everything arround it black.
this is your new Mask texture, save it as DXT1 without a alpha

Import your new textures on the textures tab in TSRW, see how it looks

Note,
You can NOT use your meshes build earlier with Wes H his GEOM importer, both use a diffrent bone order on their importer.
I strongly recommend TSRW as it will save you alot of work!

If you want to continue with CTU let me know, ill try to help you.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 12:58 AM
Oh Base, a big thank you for the hints! :lovestruc

I'll try with TSRW right now and, after finish, I'll post here for you to see the result.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 3:01 AM
Hi Base!
I made what you said about the LODs in TSRW (export LODs; regroup top and bottom; used Sims 2 Unimesh data merge; unimesh bone tool; named them as the originals, fixed the seam and checked the boneassignements on the seam) with all 4 fullbodymeshes and all LODs (I didn't copy the comments).

When I go to TSRW to import those LODs into afBodyAirForceEnlisted, shows those messages:

Then I can't export them.
Sorry for my dulness but, what did I made wrong?
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 3:27 AM
the 5 groups(base/fit/fat/thin and pregnat) are like twins, they are identical
So if you make a edit to the base mesh you must edit the others the same way.
Your last error for instance, the fit has 2 more faces as its original, the base group.
This is a bit strange because you only had to regroup the top and bottom(same for the morphs)
At one point you may have deleted a few faces(triangles)
You can check your meshgroups before you export, at the tool menu.
Called ''SelPolycount''
Check each group, they must stay identical.
You did rename the groups to its proper names?
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 4:55 AM
In the SelPolycount, I have these informations at the group_base for exemple:
-Polys: 0
-Vertices: 44 (it is different for each group)
-Distinct vertices: 22 (it is different for each group)
-3614 (for all groups of High Level)
Is this right?

I didn't delete any faces, because the end of the top is at the same place of the waist of the skirt.

I think I'll make all the process again.

A stupid question: Is it necessary to use the unimesh data/bone if I'm regrouping top/skirt, since that the polygons are at the same place?
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 11:27 AM
3614 for all groups should be ok.
But when you start over select the top and the bottom at the select button in the groups tab, then regroup and rename them.
Do this for the morphs also.(one by one, then hide it)
You can do all the editing(selecting, regrouping, renaming and (un)hiding from the groups tab, no need to actual select parts of a mesh in the windows.

You dont need unimesh at all.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 10:46 AM
I tested the method with the same parts. Everything is nearly fine but:

1.I got this wrong message when I tried to import the multi;

So I exported the project to a .package and opened it up with CTU and changed it. And also, I can't get rid of the bumpmap!I tried to import a 4x4 solid grey dds image in the TSRWS's mesh -> Material Diffuse Map and Normal Map, but nothing changed.

2 Bone assignment! I think I failed a lot with the bone assignment. I tried to just assign the belly, but didn't know which assign button it was. Lol. But more than the belly was wrong..:

Otherwise it's 'working'.. But lol, interesting is it

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 11:13 AM
1. Check the format for the DDS texture on export, it needs DXT5 with interpolated alpa

You need to import the normalmap on the high detail mesh, then link the medium and low detail to that custom texture.
So instead of importing again a normalmap you choose browse and select your earlier imported normalmap.
You als make designs(variations) that way to prevent you get your package loaded with identical textures.

2. You dont need to fix the boneassignements on those 2 meshes.
If you need to fix a waist, then use Wes his tools, here is a tutorial:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=398865
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 12:36 PM
It's not a gap in the mesh. It looks fine in MS and TSRWS. And I still can't get some textures to work... I think I've got to start from the beginning with out touching the bone assignments?

Btw, here is a .wrk file and some textures that won't work. I also sometimes get "index was outside the boundaries of the matrix". All my textures should work fine. They're in right format and everything
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  night-gown.zip (387.3 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Including .wrk file and images that won't 'work'

Inventor
#13 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 3:34 PM
I never usedTSRW for clothing meshes before, so I tryed this same meshes as Monca and Nors with it, but got the same results as Nors (strange spiked hands and arm bones mess). Could it be, it has something to do with the 4th bone-assignments not getting handled in the right way?

Nors, did you export/change/import the textures from the fullbody mesh?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 4:49 PM
Yes I did. But I don't think it's the textures. I succeed to replace the mask in TSRWS and the multi & overlay in CTU. (well I hope so).. I also think it's something with the bone assignments. 4th bone assignment? Which?

Really strange, I thought the fingers assignments looked OK, but holy moly the waist is really creepy!

Sockpuppet
#15 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 6:43 PM
I tried to do the same but i got a error on the fatmorph when trying to import.
Mismatch on the vertices wich is strange as i didn't touch a vert or face....i selected the meshes in the groups tab when regrouping them.
Even in the SELpolycount(tools menu) they all have the same ammount on verts and faces.

I am not sure if the skeleton is important with your attempts but use the fullbody mesh wich you outfit is based on as first import mesh.
Delete the groups, then import the top and bottom.
Ill try another top on my attempt.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 6:54 PM
Strange... I'll probably start over again. But I don't think it's the top that makes everything wonky.. Or? Strange, but exciting project. If you succeed now, check if you also get thus spikes and other wonkyness.

Sockpuppet
#17 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 7:32 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 27th Jun 2010 at 8:50 PM.
i am booting up my game now to see.
I took another top and all worked well, testing now

Edit, lol its not showing....Could be Ambitions as i just installed it...
I also had the parameter error, was a DDS mistake on my side.

Edit,
Here is my dress test
Already mentioned that the skeleton used is very important.
I cloned the afbodyairforce to start with.
I extracted the WSO file with its skeleton and used it as base.
The skirt however contains skirtbone assignements wich are most likely not included in the airforce skeleton.
Thats why i prolly ended up with this deformation, got to check tho.
I think you guys have similar problems, you need to clone a similar fullbodydress to start with and use its skeleton as base.
Cool thing is the 4 color option does work in TSRW, so you can easily update your outfit from 3 to 4 color options,(does need a mask texture with alpha tho!)
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 9:22 PM
Hi all!
I'm happy my thread is being useful!
Finally I got the dress! But, it seem not showing up the norma map (I'd import it in all of 3 LODs) and I can't to make the dress shows in game. I tried with Sims3pack and package too.

Here is the picture of it:
Edit: I have Ambitions at 4.0 version
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#19 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 9:44 PM
I know why it isn't showing haha, i had the same problem.
The airforce outfit is hidden in CAS, you need to change that.
But unfortunate TSRW has a ugly bug...First i thought it was due the bones(and perhaps the wrong skeleton) till i read this thread:
http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...158#post3904158
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 10:06 PM
Oh, well I think a new version of TSRWS is coming soon (After some rumors).. So I hope they'll fix thus bugs.
So basically: Is there a way to get everything work fine now?

Also, I noticed none of us have got the irritating normal map (or is it diffuse map?) to go away..? Or is it so that you guys haven't changed it?

Sockpuppet
#21 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 11:01 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 27th Jun 2010 at 11:12 PM.
i didn't change it, but if you want to i explained a few posts earlier.
The error is that the skirtmesh is allover assigned to the spine 1 bone as 4th bone.
But i am not sure if this is a problem.

@monca, i dont think TSRW has a 3d view of the normalmaptexture but i could be wrong.
you should check it in CAS.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 11:14 PM
@ Nors: How could you open your dress in CTU? I tried to open it and it shows a error message.

@ Base: I'll try to import the LODs with another afbody.
Sockpuppet
#23 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 11:31 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 27th Jun 2010 at 11:43 PM.
I am testing it now on the weddingdress and i think its even easier that way.
The wedding dress has 2 groups, import the top on one group and import the bottom on the other group.
Just make sure you use the weddingdress as first import, delete it(dont delete its skeleton!!) and then import the top
You then just export it as group_1
Delete the meshes and import the bottom, export them as group_2
You dont need to regroup the top and bottom then.

Edit,
Crap, that doesn't work either
Maybe you need to use the skeleton of the bottom.....or its because of the bug....
Now i am wishing Delphy, Wes and Cmar would team up and build a new CTU version :D
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#24 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 12:10 AM
ARGH...
Seems you can not combine the tops and bottoms as they have diffrent skeletons. I think the boneorder is diffrent(got to check that)
This time i took the bottomskirt and set it as fullbodyoutfit.
the skirt now looks ok but the top is messed.
There still is a possibility this can work tho, using a fullbodyoutfit with 2 groups, simply import the top in one and the bottom in the other(but with its original skeleton)
I dont know if a outfit supports 2 diffrent skeletons but if it does, well then making fullbodyoutfits will be easier then i thought...BBL
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 12:31 AM
Hey Base! Well done!
Let me see if I understood your last attempt:

1. you took a fullbodyoutfit (probably the weddingdress?), a top and a skirt;
2. you exported all of it and, after join the top and bottom, you deleted the fullbodyoutfit? Or did you save all of them without to delete the fullbody?
Page 1 of 3