Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 4:41 AM
Default Sims 2 in-game weird glitch on Win8
I bought an Alienware laptop for The Sims 2 and couldn't install the last ep for some reason. I got help thru tech support and downloaded the UC from Origin. I now am able to play it (not in compatibility mode) and the game glitches a lot. Meaning when I move the mouse around, scroll up and down, it glitches. When I'm in a lot and want to delete things from a house, the house disappears and appears again. I just talked to EA support and tried running it in compatibility mode and it still did the same thing. Did this happen to anyone? How did you fix it? This is really annoying and it makes me not want to play.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 5:00 AM
Try turning shadows to medium or off.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:07 AM
Sounds like you need to change your smooth edges option - it shouldn't matter what you change it to, just something other than what it's at now.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 11:39 PM
Shadows are at a medium. I'll try smoothing the edges less. I'll get back to you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Sounds like you need to change your smooth edges option - it shouldn't matter what you change it to, just something other than what it's at now.

Hi, I don't have that option available. I can't select it, it's grayed out. I don't know why.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 12:20 AM
That probably means your lap top is using a graphic chip which isn't strong enough to allow you to turn on smooth edges. Or it's a very new chip and needs other things adjusted. Sims 2 prefers a proper graphics card.
Try going over to Leefish and asking about Graphic Rules.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That probably means your lap top is using a graphic chip which isn't strong enough to allow you to turn on smooth edges. Or it's a very new chip and needs other things adjusted. Sims 2 prefers a proper graphics card.
Try going over to Leefish and asking about Graphic Rules.

I am there now and I did what was told. Now my game doesn't want to load.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 2:17 AM
Have you posted and asked for help? There are some very good people over there who should be able to help.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 2:45 AM
Have you posted and asked for help? There are some very good people over there who should be able to help.

On Leefish?
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 3:27 AM
This can also help as well with compatibility issues.

http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia...patibility-with
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady Marine
On Leefish?

Yes, celebkiriedhel might be able to help. Also have you gone over the Win8 thread on here?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady Marine
I am there now and I did what was told. Now my game doesn't want to load.

Are you getting the direct x 9 error and if so you will need to delete the extra spaces the program put in when it added you card to the list.

This is how mine looked after I ran that program and I had to take out the 2 extra spaces at the end of 660 and the " to make it work.

Before card 0x11c0 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 " it needs to look like this after card 0x11c0 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660"

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 12:19 AM
Yes, celebkiriedhel might be able to help. Also have you gone over the Win8 thread on here?

No I have not as I haven't seen it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
Are you getting the direct x 9 error and if so you will need to delete the extra spaces the program put in when it added you card to the list.

This is how mine looked after I ran that program and I had to take out the 2 extra spaces at the end of 660 and the " to make it work.

Before card 0x11c0 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 " it needs to look like this after card 0x11c0 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660"

How do I check this? I'm getting no error from there. I'm trying to smooth out my edges but it's grayed out and I did everything on Leefish and it still doesn't let me do it.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 2:57 PM
Does this problem occur in both windowed and fullscreen mode, or only fullscreen?

It might also be worth trying to force borderless windowed. This isn't supported by the game directly but it's the only way I got around some of the graphical issues in TS3. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Sims_2

Also, I don't know that it would cause graphics issues, but did you completely uninstall before installing UC?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Does this problem occur in both windowed and fullscreen mode, or only fullscreen?

It might also be worth trying to force borderless windowed. This isn't supported by the game directly but it's the only way I got around some of the graphical issues in TS3. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Sims_2

Also, I don't know that it would cause graphics issues, but did you completely uninstall before installing UC?

The game loads full screen. I have done all of the things that were on Leefish and I still can't get the smooth edges to work for me. Yes, I uninstalled UC and installed it again. Also I uninstalled the stuff and expansion packs before I installed UC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 7:27 PM
Ok I got it to work (YAY!!!!!!!!!). The edges should be on the more side of smooth or all the way on less?