Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 9:21 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Arches with half size walls ?
Have been struggling with this for a few weeks and googled everything I could find for tutorials.
Am trying to build an arch like Psychosims' in the "Fred's diner" lot .
One of the best things about the sims 2 is the opportunity to create.
I've used the 'Boolprop constrainfloorelevation' cheat ... but have not been able to build a smaller 'wall' above the arch -- so any help is appreciated.
Also attached are some photos of what I'm trying to build.
There's also an arch in the 'Simford Prison' from the "Winner Street Lots set"; where the wall is about the same height as the brick foundation tool.

Screenshots

" Inama Nushif "
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 12:38 AM
You could just add 2 regular walls and add the arch to it, you won't even see the 2 walls unless the arch doesn't cover it totally, but adding wallpaper or paint to match the half walls should look okay. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 12:49 AM
Thanks, Duine ....
What I meant was --with the second wall/level ... the wall 'curves' or 'arches' above the first with a rounded top. What I wanted was the second wall to be flat on the top edge so I can add the roof correctly.
Hope that makes sense.

I can post some pics from in the game if it helps.

When I took the roof off from Psychosims' building, the top edge of the 3rd and second floor were straight.

The second floor had a bit of the arch curve built into it; but the upper edge was straight and flat, not rounded.
I'm making somewhat larger buildings that Psy.'s, but I admired the built-in archway.
I think the constrain elevation cheat was used.

When the sim is on the 2nd floor of Psy's buildings, the sim can walk over the arch as the wall is shrunk to a 1/4th and you can add a floor over the arch while in 2nd floor view.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 11:26 AM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 17th Jan 2019 at 7:01 PM. Reason: typo
The arches in your pictures appear to have been made using the "constrain floor elevation" cheat. I tried to find a tutorial for you, but could only find ones for TS3. TS2 tutorials for this cheat used to be all over the web, but they seem to have all disappeared. Mikeinside's site used to have all kinds of helpful stuff like that, but the whole site is gone now.

The sims wiki used to link to tutorials on building things like that, but the links all go to the Exchange on the old official Sims 2 site and are dead now. Maybe somebody who's good at using the Wayback Machine will be able to find one for you.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 5:40 PM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 17th Jan 2019 at 5:53 PM.
Thanks, RoxEllen !

The Wayback Machine might have some tutorials -- I'll go and check, thanks.
I remember Mikinside ... useful tips.

So glad MTS is alive and well !

" Inama Nushif "
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 10:55 PM
It's possible the curved the wall using a method using stacked walls like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mv-_yE0sEU sorry terrible music, I muted it since they don't explain what they are doing anyway. I am guessing all the wall levels were built then that wall was shaped. I do use CFE but I am no great shakes with it so my guess may be way off.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 12:17 AM
I used the Wayback Machine just a couple weeks ago to look at some of mikeinside's tutorials.

There is a ts2tutorial database with lots of links (keep in mind that some may not work now) and I think Simpearls has Jonesi's tutorials if the database links are broken. I DID use the Wayback Machine months ago to read some of Jonesi's tutorials on the old Black Pearl Sims site. Dunno if that would still work or not.

All that said, I'm 99.99% sure the constrainfloorelevation cheat was used to make that arch and Jonesi had a tutorial on how to make the arched part.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 12:25 AM
Thanks everyone.
I will check the tutorials that are still available !
Sometimes I look for a link, and get sidetracked into looking at everything else sims 2-related-- and go down an endless rabbit hole.

Eons ago I'd used CFE myself to build an arched bridge that was still useable to walk over.
The difficult part was when to turn CFE on and off . Too soon... and my bridge collapsed.
Too late... and my bridge became square and too high for sims to cross it.

I've become used to a lot of CC in my game-- but some things I like to be creative with -- I'd rather build an arch, than download an object that acts like an arch.
(Although for some building projects a CC 'object arch' may come in handy. )

Part of what's nice is 'coloring' the arch to match the existing wall.

" Inama Nushif "
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 5:20 AM
Here is the link for the Mikeinside tutorials. http://web.archive.org/web/20080903...m:80/index.html You might be able to find something there to help.