Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 10:12 PM Last edited by Vinathi : 29th Jun 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Default Acne Breakouts Mod
Hey, I am working on a mod that adds acne to teen sims via a buff. To do this, I started cloning and modifying a buff file for sickness symptoms from GTW and specifically the appearance modifier section of those XML files. Essentially what the appearance_modifier section does is add a CAS part to the sim as long as the buff is active, and I figured I could use this feature to add acne to my sims for a temporary amount of time. However, the acne is an external custom content file in my Mods folder (courtesy of Around the Sims 4) and calling a reference to the file doesn't seem to be working. The buff behaves as if there is no appearance_modifier. (I believer this is because, as Scumbumbo explained to me earlier, that the game expects a reference in the FNV 24 format and not the FNV 64 High Bit format.) What can I do to combat the problem?

My alterations:
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 6:31 PM
Wouldn't know how to do this but just wanted to mention this would be an awesome addition to the game! :D

Cheers! =D

lkandak
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 1:46 AM Last edited by Vinathi : 26th Jun 2015 at 2:20 AM.
Has nothing to do with the original post, but would you guys rather that this mod give teen and slob sims random acne breakouts or reserve those breakouts for teen sims with low hygiene like in the Sims 2?

(Also, if anyone could still help with the initial problem, that would be superb.)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 2:19 AM
If the issue is that the game expects 24bit .. why don't you give that resource a 24bit ID? Or is that what doesn't work? 15688988194618252149 translates to 0xD9BA7BA3A1849B75 over here.

(Also you might want to report that in the EA modding forum .. custom stuff is *supposed* to work with 64bit IDs)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
#5 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vinathi
I believer this is because, as Scumbobo explained to me earlier, that the game expects a reference in the FNV 24 format and not the FNV 64 High Bit format.

Looking back at my Class Clown trait, I think it was just aspirations and objectives that I had to use FNV 24 for. I don't recall precisely what I may have told you, but AFAIK a 64-bit reference to a CASP should be okay. Not sure.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 3:08 AM
Giving the resource a 24bit ID doesn't seem to work either, so I posted the question in the EA forums.
Deceased
#7 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 5:26 AM
It's possible there's something else wrong with the buff that it's not getting set in the game - are you sure the buff gets applied at all? Also, you may want to check your lastException file to see if there's something that's getting thrown that could indicate what the issue might be.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 9:26 AM
Fairly certain the buff gets applied & no errors arise in my LastException file when the buff is applied.
Deceased
#9 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 9:43 AM
Fairly certain the buff gets applied & no errors arise in my LastException file when the buff is applied.

Bummer - well, I mean good that the buff is getting set properly, bummer it doesn't work. If you want to upload the WIP I'd be willing to take a look, but probably wouldn't get to it until Sunday. Truthfully I wouldn't have much time even then, got "real" work to do and want to try an idea for packing crates that DarkWalker suggested as well. But sometimes having more eyes on a problem can be helpful.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 1:24 AM Last edited by Vinathi : 29th Jun 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Here's the folder with the acne breakout buff, acne cc, and a script file that I was using to add the buff more quickly.

Thank you so much for your help! I can't express my gratitude in words.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  acne.rar (15.6 KB, 213 downloads) - View custom content
Deceased
#11 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 8:52 AM
Had a bit of a chance to play with this tonight and found at least one problem, but not exactly sure what it was, lol. Once I figure out precisely what is wrong I'll followup. The effect is actually pretty subtle, but I'm sure that can be fixed up.
Screenshots
Deceased
#12 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 9:26 AM
OK, here's what I've come up with, from KNOWN down to not sure...
  • The instance for the CASP cannot be 64-bit. Not sure how many bits can be used, but when I did get it working I just used the instance number you had and stripped off the top 9 hex digits (in case it needed to be unsigned 32-bit) = 0x0000000001849B75 (25467765)
  • I'm pretty sure you don't want to use the freckles BodyType in the CASP. I cloned the yuSkinOverlay_EP01Stripes (0x000000000001321D) CASP and changed the TGIList to point to 0x9CFF55976BB066BB. This CASP uses the overlay type and so it won't wipe out the sim's freckles if they had them.
  • The Group id for the CASP and RLE2 MAY need to be 0x00000000. Don't know, it was something that got changed on the way before I got things working.
Attached are the updated packages (didn't include the script as I didn't change anything in that). You can use it as a base to build on but it will need changes - the effect is unnoticeable as is unless you zoom way in on the face.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  acne.rar (14.5 KB, 103 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 12:30 AM
Scumbumbo! You are a miracle worker. The buff works perfectly now. To deal with the acne's visibility issue, I changed the priority of the appearance_modifier and then the acne itself to a facepaint instead of skin detail. The results are pretty much everything I'd hoped for. Anyway, I'm off to try to create a mirror interaction for when the sim discovers the acne. Already created a custom animation, so we'll see how it turns out! Thanks for everything & I'll let you know if I'm having any other issues (which I inevitably will )

Side note: interestingly enough, I also have to have the original acne cc (plus the edited one) in my Mods folder or my Sims end up looking kind of hilarious (I attached a picture). There's probably an obvious solution to this but I'm not complaining as long as it works.
Screenshots
Deceased
#14 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 4:02 AM
Side note: interestingly enough, I also have to have the original acne cc (plus the edited one) in my Mods folder or my Sims end up looking kind of hilarious (I attached a picture). There's probably an obvious solution to this but I'm not complaining as long as it works.

Yeah, I had that occur as well at one point. Turned out I had changed that group ID of the TGI of the RLE from 0x80000000 to 0x00000000, but it was still 0x80000000 in the TGI list of the CASP so it couldn't find the RLE. As I said, I'm not sure that group ID requires changing (quite possibly not) but I did find out you get that if it's not the same in both places.

Hope that custom animation loads up and works for you, AFAIK a custom animation on an interaction would be a first for TS4!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 2:31 AM
Oooh awesome!!! Very cool. Will be happy to test! Don't know if I'm just not reading something but how does a sim get the acne, how long does it last and should I be un zipping or just putting the zip in the mods folder (and I need both files or just one?). Thanks! :3

Cheers! =D

lkandak
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 8:13 AM
I'm attaching a zip file with the most recent version of this mod. To install, just unzip the file and place it into your Mods folder. Right now, it's honestly super work-in-progress and not at all impressive. The mod consists of the acne which gets added via a loot when the sim selects "Check Complexion" on the mirror. "Check Complexion" is a forced interaction that should also occur when Teen/YA sims get low on their Hygiene motive (it replaces the old HygieneDistress interaction). You can also type in "acne" on your Cheats Console (Press Ctrl-Shift-C) to immediately add acne to your Sim's face.

Essentially after that the acne just lasts 24hrs. I would create a "Use Acne Cream" interaction in order for sims to remove acne (similar to TS2), but using custom animations in custom interactions has turned out to be much harder than I thought. Plus, my Blender skills are not very impressive so I can't stray too far from the animations that the game already provides.

If you're still interested in testing the mod, have any commentary/feedback on how it runs, or want to provide suggestions for more features, let me know! I'm still trying to figure out whether I want the acne breakouts to appear spontaneously for teen/ya sims or consistently when those sims hit a certain negative hygiene level.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MTS_xvinathix_acnebreakouts.rar (159.6 KB, 172 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 3:16 AM
I'm attaching a zip file with the most recent version of this mod. To install, just unzip the file and place it into your Mods folder. Right now, it's honestly super work-in-progress and not at all impressive. The mod consists of the acne which gets added via a loot when the sim selects "Check Complexion" on the mirror. "Check Complexion" is a forced interaction that should also occur when Teen/YA sims get low on their Hygiene motive (it replaces the old HygieneDistress interaction). You can also type in "acne" on your Cheats Console (Press Ctrl-Shift-C) to immediately add acne to your Sim's face.

Essentially after that the acne just lasts 24hrs. I would create a "Use Acne Cream" interaction in order for sims to remove acne (similar to TS2), but using custom animations in custom interactions has turned out to be much harder than I thought. Plus, my Blender skills are not very impressive so I can't stray too far from the animations that the game already provides.

If you're still interested in testing the mod, have any commentary/feedback on how it runs, or want to provide suggestions for more features, let me know! I'm still trying to figure out whether I want the acne breakouts to appear spontaneously for teen/ya sims or consistently when those sims hit a certain negative hygiene level.

Awesome! Will give it a try and let you know! :D

Cheers! =D

lkandak
Deceased
#18 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 7:33 AM
@Vinathi - I've been playing with the set_cas_part for a different mod and I can get the part to appear but I can never seem to make it go away once it's set. Am I missing something simple here, did you figure that bit out?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Jul 2015 at 12:58 AM
Interesting. The CAS part should disappear with the buff. I set the priority to "SICKNESS" and it worked for me. Also be sure that update_genetics is False.

Code:
Example (found in Get to Work EP folder buff_SicknessSystem_Symptom_Dizzy_mild file): 
  <V n="appearance_modifier" t="enabled">
    <U n="enabled">
      <L n="appearance_modifiers">
        <V t="set_cas_part">
          <U n="set_cas_part">
            <T n="cas_part">78366</T>
            <T n="replace_with_random">False</T>
            <T n="should_toggle">False</T>
            <T n="update_genetics">False</T>
          </U>
        </V>
      </L>
      <E n="priority">SICKNESS</E>
    </U>
  </V>
Deceased
#20 Old 26th Jul 2015 at 1:23 AM
Interesting. The CAS part should disappear with the buff.

Yeah, it does. Finally figured it out, the buff wasn't timing out. I was using sim_info.Buffs.add_buff() to add the buff for testing and apparantly the temporary commodity doesn't work when using that. Once I created a true loot action it worked fine.

Well, that was a couple of hours wasted trying to save some time
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Jul 2015 at 3:21 AM
Had the same issue with sim_info.Buffs.add_buff(). Helps to check the time stamp of the buff haha.

I'm actually dealing with my own issue (if you wouldn't mind helping) which is an inability to make commodity_failure function on any level.

Consider the following XML:

Although I can use cheats to tell that the stat is added to my sim and watch the stat decline to -100 over time, the commodity_failure interaction is never triggered. This is true for any stat I've tried to create with a commodity_failure trigger. The commodity_failure trigger is also a problem on my hygiene need replacement for this mod. Maybe the function just doesn't work with custom interactions, but I can't seem to figure it out.
Deceased
#22 Old 26th Jul 2015 at 7:43 PM
Had the same issue with sim_info.Buffs.add_buff(). Helps to check the time stamp of the buff haha.

The one I was working on (now released, Temporary Tattoos for Kids) is a hidden buff, so I didn't even realize it wasn't going away. Once I figured that out it took me quite a while to figure out WHY.
Quote:
I'm actually dealing with my own issue (if you wouldn't mind helping) which is an inability to make commodity_failure function on any level.

Consider the following XML (...snip...)

I haven't worked with commodity failures. I'm assuming the failure interaction exists, lol! You may want to look at existing failure interactions in the game, perhaps they need to be of some special type or have some targeting or tests needed in them?

Further, and now I'm just "grasping at straws" here.... can you have a commodity failure with no commodity distress first? I don't know, but that could be a possibility.

Finally, the commodity is marked as being removed on convergence. Since the failure point is at convergence maybe that could cause an issue?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 10:11 PM
I can see this hasn't had a reply for quite some time now but I would like to hope that it hasn't been abandoned for good.
I just wanted to pop in and give my opinion that I would rather have the acne occur randomly for teens (and possibly YA) than every time a Sim's hygene gets low.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu