Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#76 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Sorry to hijack/bump this thread, but I'm unexpectedly receiving a new computer. (I was joking to an online friend about mine being held together with duct-tape, and they decided to contact a store in my area to buy me a new one. WTH?) The one downside: It has Windows 10, though I guess I can downgrade if really necessary.

Aside from the usual 4GB/graphic rules changes/etc, is there anything else I should be aware of? I'm hoping I can avoid most of the Win10 permissions issues by installing it under C:/Games/ instead of program files.

My daughter set hers up on a virtual machine and hasn't reported any problems. Maybe that?
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 8:23 PM
out of curiosity:
Windows VM, Vmware or Vbox? Latter two have some limitations (like max possible VRAM assigned) and sometimes does not work well with DX9 enviroment - I've had problems with running games in VBox on virtualised XP. It works much smoother in Linux, though, on the other hand with Lutris it's working pretty well inside Wine layer, so no need to virtualise anything.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Alchemist
#78 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
out of curiosity:
Windows VM, Vmware or Vbox? Latter two have some limitations (like max possible VRAM assigned) and sometimes does not work well with DX9 enviroment - I've had problems with running games in VBox on virtualised XP. It works much smoother in Linux, though, on the other hand with Lutris it's working pretty well inside Wine layer, so no need to virtualise anything.

I think she said Vbox, but I know she runs Linux and Wine, too. I'll have to ask.
Scholar
#79 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 11:32 PM
thanks in advance, any feedback and insights in the vicinity of Winsevenpocalypse will be appreciated.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
#80 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 7:25 PM
A quick update, but my computer will be arriving later this week. I'm looking forward to it.

I've been considering a VM, though only as a last resort. If I can get it to run on 10 without shitting itself, I'll do that. Otherwise, I'll use my Windows 98 VM which I keep on hand for a few other older games.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#81 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 6:57 PM
Will TS2 run on Windows 98? I thought it needed XP.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 9:00 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 27th Feb 2019 at 10:34 PM.
The base game, at least, runs on 98. Actually I should double-check for the EPs.

Unfortunately I found out that the processor in it is one of the new-generation ones. Microsoft is actively blocking Windows 7/8.1 updates on those, and I won't run an unpatched system. (There's workarounds, but I don't expect those to work for very long.) So 10 it is.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#83 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 1:19 PM
make XP VM without access to network (simply: no card), or get Win7 [https://developer.microsoft.com/en-...dge/tools/vms/] convert to VmWare/VBox format and run - the W7 version may be "reloaded" 5 times for free 'till it become unusable (around 600 days in total). Though I do not know (never tried) how the game behave inside VM (you need to compose your own graphics-rules anyway). For legally - and without tinkering - running vm image natively in Windows 10 you need a PRO version (or something in that line).

Well you can always try dual booting (if you have 2nd drive you can save the secondary/primary system from constant overwritting by "one to rule them all" Microsoft strategy due rebooting updates), just disable network in the secondary/gaming system and you'll be fine. Though managing 2 Windows installation is a pain in the back. I'd go rather for Linux and Play on Linux/Lutris routine.* There's a plenty windows-like-feel out of the box distros (Mint, Manjaro etc) tailored for Windows (and Mac also) refugees.

*such a times... to play Windows only games, the home Linux may be your savior...

Mad Poster
#84 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 6:10 PM
I actually recently cleared off a bunch of old Linux VMs on my hard drive. I'd managed to trash them all pretty badly, so I don't think actually trying to dual-boot one will work pretty well. When my new computer's set up I'll probably set up a VM of Mint. Linux is useful for some things.

Scholar
#85 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 9:37 PM
I'd advise against dual booting at last on one disk double installation - each Windows' rebooting update will mess up bootloader, it's just not worth the hassle. With two separate disks it's doable (or with one windows system in dormant not conncted to the network state).

Don't worry, making mess and borking the system is a kind of "rite of passage" We've all been in that place. The usefulness of VMs is pretty straightforward for that, however, there's a lot of things which cannot be done (or broken) in VM.

And - there's completely free, legal (as abandonware) accessible installation of Windows2000. [ https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-nt-2000/final ] but I have no idea how the game will perform in such enviroment.

Mad Poster
#86 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 9:49 PM
I've always been under the impression that Windows 2000 was more geared towards business users, but it's worth a look at.

I'm just hoping that TS2 will run decently under Windows 10, though.

Mad Poster
#87 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 4:48 AM
Everything's running smoothly!

Note that I run the game under C:\Games\, not Program Files. Avoids a lot of painful file permission issues.

Graphics Rule Maker did most of it, though it was stuck in 800x600 with the Smooth Edges option greyed out.

I fixed it with this edit:

Code:
seti Low    3
seti Medium 3
seti High   3

Then I forgot to add the video memory fix and ended up with a Pepto-Bismol overdose and a particularly spectacular crash. Then after adding the memory fix, the game wouldn't load until I deleted the userProps file. Somehow deleting that caused Smooth Edges to work again.

Page 4 of 4