Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 10:20 PM
Default Soaps, etc.
Does anyone else make soaps or any other cosmetic type stuff? I have started this year - I always make Christmas gifts rather than buying them if possible, so this year made 'Bath Packs' of handmade soaps, hand lotions, lip balms, bath salts, bath milk.

Discovered that I'm quite good at it, enjoy it - and best of all, you can get some relatively cheap, very natural and absolutely beautiful products that you have total control over.
Screenshots

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 10:52 AM
That stuff looks lovely! I love your minimalist packaging for 'em. Haven't tried making anything like that myself yet; I've always found it interesting, but haven't been able to find a good source for materials.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 3:54 AM
Thanks HP You're in Europe, yes? I just went googling - I found one site based in the UK that has a flat shipping rate of £12.99 for most of Europe, for up to 25kg of materials. I don't know about quality -or what the shop themselves are like to deal with - but their prices certainly seem pretty reasonable. For things like soap bases, dyes and many of the cosmetic ingredients for lotions (emulsifiers and the like), you do need a proper supplier but Ebay can sometimes be a good resource for things like essential oils, carrier oils (I'm a fan of almond oil for my lotions and balms), even things like beeswax, cocoa/shea butter, etc.

Anyways, the site I found - if it's any good to you - is Just a Soap. Aussie Soap Supplies, where I get most of my stuff from, has an excellent Recipe Formulary. I've figured out most of my creations using that

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 8:45 PM
That lloks so cool. The closest I get to making my own cosmetics is mixing nail colors together. I use to mix lipstick together, too.
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 4:10 AM
wow,,,I like it. I want to make it but never start. could you tell us the steps please?